Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - tehjman1993

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Game Design / Re: RNG in avoidance. Doing it RIGHT.
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
use gaussian distribution, that's a nice probability-based technique to "focus" RNG around a point.

:atkLove:

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: February 06, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
Instead of recommending systems to try and get the most "accurate" rating (whatever that means,) it's probably best to just acknowledge that there are always going to be instances of scores diverging wildly from what we each consider to be reasonable. It's everyone's prerogative to score according to their own metrics, just as everyone can discount any of those scores as being unfounded in the reality of the game. People gripe about my scores a lot for instance, but my impressions of my own games are necessarily going to be different than the people who did not go through the experience of creating them. Similarly, I try not to judge (most) scores of my games, since I never had the experience of playing them starting from a blank slate.

I think the best we (as users of the site, not designers) can to do make the scores representative of the games is giving detailed comments including the reasoning behind the scores they're attached to. Saying "this is bad" is as meaningless as "this is good" when it comes to really evaluating the quality of games.

And as always, thank you TJ, Klazen, and everyone else involved for making an excellent resource.

This is great advice for everyone that uses the site. I also tend to just "ignore" bad reviews of a game that I thought were good, and imagine what the average would be if that score did not exist. This is what many users must do across all review sites, not just del-fruit. Eliminating "extreme" scores helps everyone better understand the logic behind a game's score, and well-written reviews go hand-in-hand with site growth, development, and understanding.

« on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:23 AM »
I'd like to recommend that a review count for +10% weight toward the average ratings for each Like they have. (And maybe a disagree button for -10%?) This might help provide more accurate ratings for games with fewer reviews since it's easier for people to indicate their thoughts on a game by liking the reviews that they agree with.

This, unfortunately, leads to a "mob" mentality on certain games that would only further skew the rating average.

For example, let's say Cultured 2 came out tomorrow. Let's also suppose that a user didn't enjoy it much, so that user gave it a 5/10. All of a sudden that user is hit with -5 from the guys who support (or even made) the game, so now that user's review carries very little weight. Conversely, if another user gave it a 10/10, and was given +5 for supporting the game from other users/creators, then this has entirely too much positive weight to it. The 5/10 score would now barely touch the weight of the 10/10. The average between these two, at this example, would be something around 9~9.5/10, which is entirely unfair.

Del-Fruit is relying on the fact that the community will become involved and review the game. After roughly 15 reviews, we're looking at an accurate average rating for a game, based on the community. So while 1 or 2 reviews may swing wildly in one direction or the other, they are effectively reduced to null when a large majority of the reviews are giving scores in the "middle ground" of the extremes. While an 'average' isn't a great measure of opinion for only 4 reviews, it certainly has its use when there are numerous.

To sum it up, we will never add a weighting feature, or a dislike feature. The 'like' feature that is currently on the site is meant as a way to show satisfaction after reading a review - whether you agreed with it, or just thought it was funny. It has, and will always have, no effect on the way the scores are calculated. If we feel that a weight system is necessary, it will be a site-wide "hidden" weight system that would apply to every user instantly. This is not being considered at this time, however.

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to leave them here! Del-Fruit is just about 1 year old from this date, neat!

« on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »
Also, where did all the reviews go, and how exactly do you request creator status?

Sorry, reviews were glitchy for a couple of minutes while the code changes loaded in production. Everything's been ironed out now!

To request ownership of a game, you need to report the game and ask for ownership. Also, if it's not 100% obvious that your delfruit account is the owner, you'll need to provide proof or otherwise contact an admin directly outside of the site so we can verify that you are the creator (twitch whispers, skype pms, forum pms, etc all work great)

Also, credit card numbers, social security numbers, and passports work great!

Just kidding don't actually do that

As a side note: For games with multiple creators, designate one as the liaison on del-fruit to talk about the game if requesting ownership. At this time, more than one creator will not work per game. Thanks!

« on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:23 PM »
What Klazen is trying to say is:

You asked, we delivered! Creators now have a little more presence on del-fruit!

So what does this mean?

Every game must have a creator, right? If you're a creator of a game on del-fruit, you can request to be given special "creator" status on the reviews of that game only. Each request is hand-spun and placed on a velvet pillow before being given to a moderator for approval or denial. If you are approved as the "verified" creator of a game, you will receive a special "creator" tag on your review of your game, put at the top of the review list, and given a special review color. This is to give you, as a creator, a chance to preview or talk about your game to any potential new players!

In addition to the creator buff, we're also adding in a version checker for creators to use on their games that are currently listed on del-fruit! Using a fancy, magic-laced program, creators will be allowed to update the version number that will be reflected on del-fruit, as a way of keeping all of your fans up-to-date on the latest and greatest version of your game. Of course, you will still need to update your download link on the wiki - we can't control that!

Let us know what you think!

Computer Café / Re: Livestream Broadcaster
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
I tried OBS a while back, but I couldn't install it at all, as the installer would crash after I pressed the first button on it; I'll try again later today when I get on my comp. Thanks for the suggestions!

This can occur if you installed the wrong x32 or x64 version ... I don't know if this is the case, but it has happened to me before on my old computer (running Vista).

Game Design / Re: Mega Avoidance!! How to make it not too dificult/tedious?
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
Your idea of the player ending the avoidance after the 50th song (read: 25 minutes) is absurd. There's a few inherent flaws with long avoidances:

-Attack variety
-Keeping interest
-Trying to keep it fair/balanced

For a 50 minute long avoidance, I have no idea how you're going to create attacks that aren't copied everywhere ... unless you're super creative, this is a big hurdle.

On top of that, keeping the interest of the player is key. Even for those that don't like avoidance, I know many of them will give it a shot if the fight seems interesting enough, well-designed, etc. Insta-gib attacks, especially in a long avoidance, is going to turn off a lot of the players that even reach this part of your game.

In the off chance that you actually create a full 50 minute avoidance with interesting attacks, great visuals, etc. etc., keeping it balanced is an entirely different monster that you'll have to tackle. Having the 3rd attack be monumentally harder than the 1st/2nd or any subsequent attacks is easy to accidentally do (which you don't want), which also makes attack variety difficult. It's a vicious cycle.

If you are still seriously considering a long avoidance (anything over 10 minutes), here's what I would recommend:

-Giving the player an option to have hit points. You said you were against it, but it really does make a lot of long avoidances fun, to some extent. Of course, the player can opt to only have 1 hitpoint (like "impossible" mode or something), but give not-as-skilled (or not-as-willing-to-grind-for-days) players the chance to have 10, 20, etc. hitpoints.
-Checkpoints are another option here. Maybe every 10 songs (that's every 5 minutes, according to your song length) have a checkpoint for the player, so that if he/she dies, it just puts them there instead of back at the beginning of the song. You could also vary this by "difficulty" that the player selects. Maybe at the 'impossible' difficulty, there are no checkpoints! But at the normal difficulty, there's 5 checkpoints.
-Don't follow a traditional avoidance route. Mix it up! There's plenty of really neat, interesting, and fun avoidances out there that don't just have the player dodging apples. Sometimes you have to do platforming, sometimes you have to perform an action, a gimmick, etc. This really keeps it interesting, and I would most certainly recommend something unique besides just plain "dodge this attack" avoidance.

Try to consider these suggestions. I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears. A super-long avoidance is a neat concept, but you need to make it fun, engaging, and worth the time. Trying to invite as many people as possible to try your avoidance is much better than trying to overdo it and excluding essentially everyone except hardcore avoidance players. Don't become the "Happil 2" of avoidances.

Good luck.

« on: December 02, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »
Hello Del-Fruiters!

This month's "Wannabe of the Month" designation goes to Eelusion!

It's Boshy Time! At least, that's what you'll hear numerous times over at Eelusion's channel! Eelusion is a fairly new addition to the Wannabes and a community member for a number of years. He has an intense interest in Boshy, and has quite rapidly climbed the ranks to 5th in the Any% category. Although 5th might not sound impressive, his runs are frequently on pace for a top 3 time, including the infamous WR Pace . We hope you encourage him on his journey to become the #1 Boshy Any% player in the world!

You can also find Eelusion on twitter! @ httpss://twitter.com/Eelusion_Twitch

Congrats to Eelusion, and we hope the end of the year is wonderful for each and every one of you!

-TJ&Klazen

Video Games / Re: CS:GO Team?
« on: November 08, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »
I also rarely play it, I should really just bug the European crew at this point lol

Off Topic / Re: Lesser Dog has gone where no dog has gone before
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:56:36 PM »
tfw char. name is Chara

« on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
Hello Del-Fruiters!

We have our monthly update of 'Wannabe of the Month' - featuring Igzicorus!

A somewhat newer addition to the Wannabes, Igzicorus is no pushover. Many of his streams are dedicated to completing one ridiculously hard task at a time - such as his own "Kamilia 3 Secret Bosses Mini Challenge", where he aims to beat the 4 games that the K3 secret bosses were taken from - before fighting the K3 bosses themselves! Much more than K3, he's cleared numerous difficult games and continues to do so on a very active schedule. If you want a streamer who isn't afraid of a challenge and will grind out the unthinkable, drop by Igzicorus' stream and say hey!

You can find him @ www.twitch.tv/igzicorus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We apologize for the 3-day delay on this Wannabe of the Month announcement - our initial selection had turned down the offer, and so we had to move that selection to another date and choose again! Congrats to Igzi, we hope you enjoy the front page of Del-Fruit!

« on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
Take a look at his YT channel and you'll understand

:Kappa:

Now I'm really confused.

« on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
This Website Created In 8 February 2015 Year,Really?

Stinky was one of the testers on the site before it went public, which was a few days before February 8th. So the site was officially open to public on that date.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything

Tournaments / Re: Get Yourself Fangaming: Game Suggestions!
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
F A T B I R D S

User-Made Creations / Re: My first game
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:12 PM »
Alright, here's some feedback:

-Difficulty Select/Title Screen/Opening Music all need a major change. Using a default tileset with a bright red background with guy rock blaring is not a way to start a game.
-The saves are completely unbalanced - some are "1st try" saves while others take much, much longer in both length and difficulty
-Some screens (particularly the water screen) is brutal to navigate with false walls and blocks.
-All of the screens' backgrounds need changing to something more minimal and/or less bright, especially that bright volcano one
-Tilesets need to be changed to something less bright, it looks like a really bad "HQ" version of tileset
-Restarting music is a big no-no, there are tutorials available to correct this
-Jumps were generic, already listed in this thread (it's ok to use them, but not that much, be creative!)
-Game incredibly short (not necessarily a bad thing, but you def. want to beef it up next time)
-Never use bad water. Neeeeeeeeevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrrrr

-Your music was a good choice, seriously.

Overall, if you plan on seriously taking advice and make a second decent game, please try to play through your own game and see if everything is in order, looks nice, etc. etc. Based on what I've seen, you really like the standard platforming screens, so try to take a look into games like "I wanna be the minimal", "I wanna stop the meltdown", "I wanna sheep 100", and "I wanna go across the rainbow" for some ideas for both visuals AND screens, these references will help you a lot.

Good luck.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19