Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - tehjman1993

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Xbox 360 controller problems
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
I used Joy2Key a long time ago on some fangames and I remember it working fine for a 360 controller, so I would definitely try that program!

Game Design / Re: On Originality In Fangames
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:56:18 PM »

There is, and long has been even since I joined the fangame community, a culture of suppressing originality when critiquing fangames and it's something that needs to stop.
-Popularity != quality. Hell popularity doesn't even mean popularity. While the production value of Boshy is high and it was incredibly popular when it came out, you'll find that the consensus amongst most people on the inside of the fangame community is that is absolutely sucks, while most of the attention it gets is from outside the community with it being featured on many popular youtubers accounts etc. Popularity ultimately means nothing when you're doing this as a hobby.

If you honestly think we're suppressing originality, you are the most disconnected of us all. Watch our streams and read our discussions for two seconds and you'll see we promote all kinds of creative and new ways to implement gimmicks and fun into fangames. Your generalization is terrible. Critiques of fangames stem from unoriginal gimmicks and gameplay. Delicious-Fruit is a clear example of this, I need no statistics to back me up there.

Boshy isn't seen as "bad" inside our community either. Maybe mediocre at worst to some. The majority agree that Boshy is a must-play and is the creativity that we look for, both "inside" and "outside" our community. It isn't the anti-popularity train you're riding. Once again, had you any knowledge of how our community thinks, acts, and responds, you would have never made any of these comments.

There was no need to carry on this conversation from the previous thread, and its disturbing to see an extremely minor, honest comment attacked on a personal level.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Your worst fail in a fangame
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:57:24 PM »
If you're talking about the platform jump, you don't need the platforms to beat it; just jump as late as possible and as high as you can without getting sucked up into the spikes by the platforms.

I think he's referring to a sphincter-like jump, or it could be the low mini-spike gates.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: July 23, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm happy with the decisions. And I understand why you don't wanna add a dislike feature, I was kinda mad only thinking about shit reviews.

Thanks TJ and Klazen! ( •ᴗ•)

You're very welcome! We're always looking for ways to improve the site, whether it's a policy change or a new feature! We appreciate all the feedback we've gotten, and hope the community continues to help us improve delicious-fruit!

« on: July 23, 2015, 10:39:16 AM »
As you may have noticed, there are 2 games called I Wanna be the 2.5625 and I wanna be the Extra Jump that have been added recently in Delicious Fruit and they're both impossible (I'm not saying the jumps mentioned are impossible, but they aren't built in the correct way to make them possible in the game).

I had thought of giving them a proper rating but I've realized there's no point in giving them a 100/100 difficulty rating since other people have rated them around 80-90/100 in difficulty and the games won't have a 100/100 difficulty (which is the difficulty rating they MUST have since they're impossible) after I (and people who would also rate it 100/100 in difficulty) post my reviews.

Players who are trying to look for some hard challenge and find games like this will waste hours on a game that is basically impossible and I'm sure they will be really mad when they realize the game is actually impossible and they will shit on the site because the difficulty rating says it isn't impossible when it is.

So, here's what I'd do to prevent this from happening: delete all the impossible games. There's no point in having impossible games in a site made for people who want to have fun playing these games. This way we will also prevent wrong ratings (there's a guy complaining about the 2 corners on I Wanna be the Extra Jump when they don't change anything in difficulty) and dumb ratings in general (mainly from people known as "happil 2 kids" or from just dumb people). I wouldn't delete games like LoveTrap, I Wanna break the Sky Needle, I Wanna challenge the Needle Fight, etc., though, since the impossible parts are in the extra part (which are obviously not required to beat the games).

Also, talking about ratings. People in general will most likely read the rating from a "big guy" first, ignoring the other ones when the "big guy's" rating might be wrong or not appropiate (I won't say names but it's not the first time that this happens). I know there's a "Like this review" button to make a rating more trustworthy, but I suggest adding a "Dislike this review" button since there are lots of reviews which aren't really reviews and most of them are posted by people who clearly have no idea about the game or they haven't beaten or even played the game in some cases.

Hi JGB,

Klazen and I looked into your suggestion this morning, and we've come up with a solution of how we want to handle this.

Regarding literally IMPOSSIBLE games:

-We are not removing impossible games from the site.
-We are adding a special tag feature, "impossible", to the site. This tag is different colored than the rest.

Impossible games happen from time to time, but they still are games in some way. Because of this, we are not removing them from the site entirely. However, if you are 100% certain a game is impossible, here's what you can do:

-Give the game a 100/100 difficulty rating
-State why it is impossible in your review
-Add the 'impossible' tag to your review

These 3 simple things will help mark the game as impossible for the general community. Concern was raised about "well if someone rates the game 50/100, now the rating will never be 100/100." This is true, however, the average rating isn't necessarily the best one. Although this sounds contradictory to my previous posts, reading individual reviews is a great way to judge a game's content. If I look at this game and 2 out of 3 reviews say it is impossible despite its 90/100 difficulty average, I believe it is safe to assume the game is indeed impossible. The average rating is a good measure, but not perfect. We are not willing to remove the game unless it is by creator request, or for some other unforeseen circumstance.

Please note: Abusing this special "impossible" tag on games that are not impossible (example: Dark Blue) will result in a warning, then subsequently bans and restricted access to reviewing. We are taking this tag seriously.

Regarding a dislike feature:

We will never have a feature that berates someone's opinion. An unpopular opinion, even if it is 100% factual, will be disliked into oblivion. There's a reason Facebook has no dislike feature - to prevent bullying/ganging up on one individual who is not friends with the "popular" community. We do not want our users feeling afraid to post their honest thoughts on a game, so no dislike feature will be added, at any point.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding these decisions! Thanks!
-TJ&Klazen

No problem, he's not that hard but he does take a long time. Good luck!

The reason you couldn't go back to save is because that area is slightly lower than the block you entered from (on the previous screen). You need to jump to the left instead of walking to get back to that previous room to save.

Or you could man-mode the next screen without saves :Kappa:

« on: July 19, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to announce a few things that some of the more active members on delicious-fruit have been asking about. I'll give you our opinion/decisions topic-by-topic:

Regarding reviews of your own game

You are allowed to review your own game. We had many reports come in on multiple game makers stating that "they shouldn't review their own game." At delicious-fruit, we are not willing to ban anyone from reviewing any game, unless they have explicitly broken the Terms of Service (harassment is an example). In fact, game makers are typically harsher towards their own games than the majority of the community, with a few exceptions! All in all, game makers should not feel afraid to review their own game. Any report against that individual will not yield any consequences. For those that report game makers: please do not report them. You may not agree with it, but this is how we wish to run the site.

Exceedingly high/low reviews of certain games

There have been a number of reports towards individuals that have rated games as low as 0.5 and as high as a perfect 10, stating that it "must be" a troll review. Once again, similar to the previous topic, this is something that you may not agree with. However, these individuals that rate extremely high/low may have good reason to do so. Even if they do not have a good reason to do so, they are allowed to cast their vote any way they wish. This is not violating the ToS in any manner. We only intervene in these reviews if they personally attack others.

Compare it to this: You eat at a restaurant, and the food was absolutely terrible. The service was terrible. The atmosphere was atrocious. You are so offended, that you decide to head to a popular review site (such as Yelp) to review this restaurant as "0/5, wouldn't go there if it was the last place on Earth." But just the other day, another individual sat in the same spot you just did and ate a wonderful meal, had a great waiter/waitress, and enjoyed a lovely atmosphere. That individual liked it so much, they felt compelled to give the restaurant a "perfect 5/5, I love this place!" on the same review site. Looking at these two reviews, you would think these two guys/gals ate at completely different establishments! But they didn't, and it happens all the time. This is no different towards fangames, and we wish to embrace this.

Purposely boosting ratings

This ties in closely with the topic just covered, and I received a few complaints regarding certain individuals "boosting" games that they like/made. This is an extremely gray area for moderation, and we have decided that we are not taking action against those that are "suspicious" in boosting ratings (or, in the opposite effect, tanking a rating). Reading this, the average viewer may say "well I'm never using this site again, then!" These rating "boosters" are impossible to confirm as actually boosting (or tanking) anything. We, nor you, can completely determine if someone is purposely giving a game an extremely high/low rating to move it along our average ratings list.

Still worried? Don't be! The power of statistics saves this quite well. Let's take an example:
I make a game called F A T T E R B I R D S, and I give it a 10/10 stating that "it's the best bird game you will ever play."
Now my game is at the top of the review list! My evil plan is working!
But now Klazen comes in and says "I played through this game, and I didn't really like the visuals or any of stage 2 and 3. I'll give it a 5/10."
Uh-oh. Now my game is at a 7.5/10, and plummeted down the rating list. But it's still pretty high above what the "average" community member thinks about the game, right? Wrong.
A 3rd person comes in, World, and he says "I really did not like this game, but music = G O O D, so I give 4/10."
Now my average is a 6.3/10! This is already now much closer to the "majority" of opinions about my game, even though only 2 others have voted so far!
A 4th and 5th person come in and give the game a 5.5/10 and 6/10, respectively. Now the average is 6.1/10, and is incredibly accurate to the majority of voters.

What happens now? Well, my plan had failed. My 10/10 score has done next to nothing to the rating, and the majority will always prevail, no matter what. This is the very basics of statistical averages, and is in full-swing on delicious-fruit. If you truly disagree with someone giving a game a 0/10 or 10/10, you can accurately rate the game yourself to start balancing out the score. Even after 5 reviews, the average will be very close to the "overall" average that the community sees fit. This is just how reviews work! (Note: 5 reviews, on a larger scale, is extremely small. For a community of our size, 5 is sufficient. It is much better to take 15-20 reviews' averages before finding a 'true average' of something.)

Let me know if anyone has any questions about anything I have clarified here. Nothing has been changed, nothing has been updated. We are still the same review site that we have always been.

Thank you,
TJ&Klazen

« on: July 14, 2015, 05:00:35 PM »
Just a friendly reminder - we do not accept inappropriate names on the site. Unfortunately I need to remind everyone that if you are trying to be offensive, you will be banned. We've had a few problems here and there with some "new" members posting troll reviews and creating inappropriate account names.

Also a reminder to report any review/account that is purposely being offensive, trolling, or otherwise not using the site for its intended use. We look into every report, and helps us review situations and take action in a short amount of time.

Thanks,
TJ&Klazen

Game Design / Re: Looking for people to work with
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:08:19 PM »
Good luck with your new engine. Just as a heads up - new engines typically do not perform well in the community. There have been a few successes in the past, so best of luck in creating a popular fangame on a new engine!

To me a brand new engine shows innovation. The things that are possible for me to build in this engine are limitless and go way past what can be done in a simple program like game maker. I've already implemented a few gimmicks that have never been seen in game maker because it would be close to impossible to actually implement it. I think that the community would definitely support a game written in this new engine simply because it will be more than a fan game -- it in itself will be a full game both very similar and different than how standard IWBTG needle/adventure/puzzle/trap fangames are usually created.

It certainly shows innovation, it just has to have the fun gameplay :)

New gimmicks are always great, good luck!

Game Design / Re: Looking for people to work with
« on: July 12, 2015, 02:02:02 PM »
Good luck with your new engine. Just as a heads up - new engines typically do not perform well in the community. There have been a few successes in the past, so best of luck in creating a popular fangame on a new engine!

For delicious-fruit, how about adding a real "top fangames" feature? It should be interesting for new players who don't know where to start. I know you can just go on the full fangame list page and sort by rating, but there are a few problems with that:
 - it doesn't take into account the number of ratings per fangame, which means I can just rate any new fangame 10/10 and it'll end up first on the list
 - the averages themselves don't take into account the "average rating" of people who reviewed it: for example, a 10/10 from someone who rates all his games 10/10 should weigh less than a 10/10 from someone whose rating average is around 5/10. A way to solve this problem is to use a formula like: average game rating = (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating)*user_x's rating) / (sum of abs(user_x's game rating - user_x's average rating))

Although this isn't posted in the correct thread, I can answer it here anyway!

To address your 'top fangames' suggestion - this, unfortunately, is much harder to implement than expected. A variety of reasons limit this suggestion to nothing more than checking certain users' clear/rated lists.
-Everyone has varying opinions on "the top fangames." This is the entire point of the site - to let you rate your favorite games high, and your not-so-favorites low.
-There is no concrete "top fangames" list. If you ask me, I have a list. If you ask Klazen, he has a list. If you ask anyone else, they have their own lists. These lists may have the same games or drastically different ones. Hell, maybe my favorite game is one of your LEAST favorite! This completely defeats the purpose of the "top fangames" list, as it is very subjective.
-Sorting by ratings is the best way to find the top fangames. Yes, 1 review that is 10/10 will obviously skew results. However, if you play through that game and do not like it and rate it 5/10, all of a sudden that game is now at 7.5/10 and no longer at the top. You can directly contribute to how well a game does on the top ratings list, which is the entire concept behind del-fruit.
-We are not willing to limit someone's ability to rate games. If someone goes around and rates 4 games 10/10 and 4 games 0/10, we are not going to make their review count as "less." This punishes users for taking an active role in our community. To combat the trolls on the site, Klazen and I have been actively monitoring reviews. We have removed reviews that we have deemed as "spam" or "troll", regardless of their rating. I can confidently tell you that we are on the lookout for this exact behavior. We reserve the right to remove anyone's account/posts/reviews at anytime, as stated by the ToS on account creation, and we have done so on multiple occasions to combat this exact problem.

I hope this helps! If you want to continue this discussion, have a question or comment, or have another suggestion, you can do so here: https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1386.0

-TJ&Klazen

Will the submitted games list be made public so non-judges can play as well? I'd be curious to see how my own rankings match up with the judges'.
When the results get posted, I will include links to the submitted games. There will be one that won't be included because of the author's request, but the rest will be present.

Sounds good, thanks.

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hi. (and apologies)
« on: July 03, 2015, 02:35:24 PM »
Welcome back

Will the submitted games list be made public so non-judges can play as well? I'd be curious to see how my own rankings match up with the judges'.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19