Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - tehjman1993

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19
Tournaments / Re: Fangame Marathon 2017 Megathread
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:23 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to clarify a minor thing regarding submissions. I've noticed a lot of hesitation and confusion (through discord chatting) regarding "what to submit" and if it would be acceptable to run at a marathon as part of a solo run, an event (like relay), etc.

Let me be very clear: Everything is acceptable to submit.

Let the event organizers (Pat and others) figure it out when submissions come to a close. If you think you can show off an unpopular needle game as a fun speedrun, then go for it. If you think game X isn't good because it isn't on speedrun.com, submit it anyway. Chances are that more popular games will get accepted, but we love to see variety within the marathon, even if the game is considered "sub-par."

I hope this clears some things up. Now get submitting!

Announcements / Re: Team overhaul
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
Even the GamesDoneQuick channel streams spotlights and racing tournaments from time to time as far as I know.

FangameMarathon already has a good Following that a new channel will probably not get to within a year.

Not to derail this thread into something as specific as the marathon channel, but I'll elaborate a little more.

The marathon channel was created with one use in mind - to host the fangame marathon. That's it. GamesDoneQuick was also initially started for the same reason, but they've grown extremely large and that's their decision to use it for non-gdq events. GDQ is a company, fangame marathon is simply me and Klazen. The dedication required to host anything regular would be a tedious task in and of itself. Very few people have access to the channel, and we like to keep it that way. Using it for non-marathon events makes the channel lose some its charm, its uniqueness, so to speak. An event channel, if used regularly, would certainly gain a following larger than I think you imagine.

On a side note, I still believe hitting the reset button on the team here is not a decision that would be beneficial. Events may be part of the answer, but team communication and a welcoming atmosphere is the key to running a successful team.

« on: February 09, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
Re: Relay Race

I always felt like this should have been a thing long ago, but I thought it was pretty hard to organize. With 3 Teams (which is probably optimal), finding 3 players of similar skill for the same game can be an issue, especially if we want to include 5+ games to make it lengthy. The other thing is timezones being a major issue for the europeans (I feel like most of the Wannabe Speedrunners are american/canadian, maybe I'm wrong)

Re: Team Organization

I don't really care what happens. Left the team a while ago because it just felt pointless being in it (and I was taking a break from streaming anyway). Would be happy to join back in if it gets more "serious".

Re: Other Events

What else can we do? Weekly Fangame Challenge was nice, but Bingo is absolutely not my cup of tea (maybe because I'm bad at playing casually). I feel like we should use the FangameMarathon Twitch channel more, broadcast a weekly 2-4 players (Blind-)Race with commentary (I am sure we can find someone to commentate for most of anything) or something along those lines.

About using the marathon channel - this topic has been brought up before, and it was decided that it doesn't seem like the best use of resources to utilize the channel for a non-marathon. Another event-themed stream would be much more appropriate.

« on: February 09, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
I would like to do more events of races and such, the problem is that a lot of people have the mindset where they know they can't win, so what's even the point of joining. There doesn't seem to be a way around this because a lot of players don't focus on the fun aspect of a race. I also can't really think of common events that don't involve speedrunning or racing. Ideas are always welcome of course.

EDIT: A relay race is always something I've wanted to do, if we do another fangame marathon this year I'd love to organize it.

I'll agree with the bad mindset - it is something that is hard to fix. I think this is more prevalent in games that are already established as "speedruns", such as NANG or K2. Blind races, on the other hand, are much more random and anyone can really win.

To put in perspective, about 2 years ago me, fireball, and piece blind raced a ton of fangames that we all had never played before. Some were avoidance, some were needle, some were adventure. We seemingly had a nice split between winners of each blind race, and there wasn't a feeling of "I'm going to lose" when you started the game. Fireball and I also just did a huge blind race of a new game on steam which was incredible - we were only off of each other by a few minutes while the entire run took us over 6 (?) hours.

My point being that it depends on the event to alleviate the mindset of "I'm going to lose so why bother" when joining.

Regarding BINGO, Cake has been compiling a small private list (I think) of games that he thinks would be great in BINGO, so I think reviving and building BINGO back up would be little trouble. If it's done right the first time, we won't have to worry about it dying in 2 weeks.

« on: February 08, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
I'm still in the 'we need more team events' camp regarding these discussions. We used to have fun community events that anyone could do. BINGO was a big one, off the top of my head. I think a lot of these feelings towards the team are two-fold:

(1) Twitch fails to provide any team-related support. In fact, they've made it worse and irrelevant after the removal of the 'follow all' feature.

(2) We don't do fun, minor events that the team could easily set up. We don't do BINGO, we don't do blind races, we don't do anything. We all have our own communities and it feels very isolated. Granted, there's overlap, but sometimes it feels like "The Wannabes" are a conglomerate of streaming islands. We need more activity. We do Fangame Marathon as a yearly event, but what else? I'm sure doing small things, even like friendly races with team members, monthly events, etc. would greatly help the team.

Edit: I should put that in the end, it's ultimately your decision on what you do with the team. However, I do believe it is in your best interest for more events if you want a more positive look on the team.

Meet and Greet! / Re: New boshy runner arround there!
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
Hey and good luck ! Whatever happen, don't give up  :atkHappy:

I used to play it pretty often time ago. Still im a casual player, but i try to optimize my playstyle everytime i can. There are a lot of things i cannot still do (Like quick killing Mario, Solgryn or Megaman, or restart skips) but i feel like im closer than never. Anyway, thanks! I also hope i wont give up ;-;

If you need help with any of it, I can certainly look into it. I have a whole Boshy tutorial on Youtube, and I'm always open for questions regarding strats in Boshy.

Hi tehjman1993!

I have seen your videos from speedrun.com, and they were pretty helpful. Really thanks about it. I also FINALLY found crtl+y, i were looking for it for a lot of months :)

Basically my problem on speedkilling megaman-ringman-2nd phase solgryn is about i feel like i shoot about 5 shots less than any other boshy speedrunner, but im trying to get it up. In mario speedkill my only trouble is im (atm) not capable to fire this many shots and double jump without stopping my shoot spam. Im trying to fix it using alt as jump so i can toogle my jumping hand, and now im looking to start jumping with spacebar (i move with wasd and jump-shoot with alt-up key).

Anyway every single advice about it will be apreciated :D

Thank you very much, i admire you and every speedrunner, and i hope i will be like you guys are someday.

Greetings.

Do you use 1 finger to mash, or 2? Mashing is something of an artform in Boshy - it takes practice and rhythm to get good at it. When I was first learning the game, I also had trouble quick killing just about every boss. Practice over time allowed my mashing to get better and faster, and eventually led to the desired quick kills. For your setup, try practicing using either your thumb or your pinky of your left hand on the left alt key to jump and move at the same time, leaving your right hand solely focused on mashing. 1-handed movement is hard, but is very worth it to learn! However, I do not recommend spacebar for jumping unless absolutely needed.

In short, mashing is practice. With Mario, make sure you stay relatively close to him at all times! Since you can only have 5 damage worth of bullets on the screen at once, you don't want to waste any screen space or time when fighting him.

...and thanks for the kind words!

Meet and Greet! / Re: New boshy runner arround there!
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
Hey and good luck ! Whatever happen, don't give up  :atkHappy:

I used to play it pretty often time ago. Still im a casual player, but i try to optimize my playstyle everytime i can. There are a lot of things i cannot still do (Like quick killing Mario, Solgryn or Megaman, or restart skips) but i feel like im closer than never. Anyway, thanks! I also hope i wont give up ;-;

If you need help with any of it, I can certainly look into it. I have a whole Boshy tutorial on Youtube, and I'm always open for questions regarding strats in Boshy.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: December 05, 2016, 12:01:30 AM »
Just an update to our new language support -- thanks to Erik, we now support German! Woohoo!

« on: November 28, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »
Good evening Del-Fruiters!

We have another update for the site that we believe will only help the site grow even more: foreign language support!

This was suggested quite a long time ago, and Klazen heard you! As of now, we are rolling out Portuguese as the language other than English on the site, with more languages (hopefully) on the way (such as Korean)! You can find the language switcher on the top-right part of the site.

Please note that the language change does not affect the following:
Usernames
Game names or links
Del-Fruit Announcements
Any of the buttons at the top
Reviews

...everything else will be translated! We hope you enjoy this feature.

Also, if you want a new language supported on the site and you happen to be fluent in that language - contact me or Klazen, and we'll hook you up! A BIG thank you to Nader who helped us with the first translation!

Thanks,
TJ&Klazen

I can do korean, so if you want to contact me about it, feel free to do so :)

Hey Raoul,

We're very much interested - we would love to get in contact via Discord. Are you a part of the Iwanna community discord? I could find you and PM you that way.

Thanks,
TJ

« on: November 27, 2016, 08:18:03 PM »
Good evening Del-Fruiters!

We have another update for the site that we believe will only help the site grow even more: foreign language support!

This was suggested quite a long time ago, and Klazen heard you! As of now, we are rolling out Portuguese as the language other than English on the site, with more languages (hopefully) on the way (such as Korean)! You can find the language switcher on the top-right part of the site.

Please note that the language change does not affect the following:
Usernames
Game names or links
Del-Fruit Announcements
Any of the buttons at the top
Reviews

...everything else will be translated! We hope you enjoy this feature.

Also, if you want a new language supported on the site and you happen to be fluent in that language - contact me or Klazen, and we'll hook you up! A BIG thank you to Nader who helped us with the first translation!

Thanks,
TJ&Klazen

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:47:52 PM »
Recently I have been doing some thinking about the various dynamics of making fangames in our community. Sometimes I get discouraged when I think about this stuff. I think this discouragement comes from neither me personally nor the community having clear answers to these questions. These are like murky waters in my mind I would like to try and clear up.

• How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?
  • Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?
  • How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?
  • What is the right balance of encouraging quality fangames while not scaring off potentially good creators?
  • To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)
  • Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?
  • To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?
  • To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?

I want to hear what everyone thinks about these kind of topics.

My 2cents on these questions:

• How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?

I do not like using the word 'deserve' for this question, since this implies a sense of entitlement. Appreciation and support is never owed, it is given. That being said, I think this varies from player to player and what they feel is the right amount of praise and support. Everyone has different ways of expressing their own.

• Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?

Yes - criticism is not necessarily negative, and can be used as a talking point instead. The ultimate goal is to better the fangame creator. Any other form of criticism meant to demean, insult, or otherwise not help a creator is not good criticism, nor would I define it as such.

• How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?

Varies from player to player - expectation should be 0 patience and 0 forgiveness. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

• What is the right balance of encouraging quality fangames while not scaring off potentially good creators?

As stated above, healthy criticism through talking points and brainstorming is the best way to encourage higher-quality fangames.

• To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)

This is a question left to the creator. You can be as proud as you want, regardless of what others think.

• Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?

As long as credit is given where it is due. This is one of the main themes of fangames.

• To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?

Again, 'deserve' is a loaded word and implies entitlement. If you believe your game is "good" but is getting 0 attention, you may want to take a second look at your fangame.

• To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?

Up to the individual maker. I don't know of many bigger, more general audiences for freeware games as large as the fangame community. Also add in the support of the community through guides, the pre-built engines, and more, fangames are very appealing to make for some.

Announcements / Re: The Wannabes auto hosting discussion
« on: November 11, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see team feedback regarding the 'auto host' feature on Twitch -- is this working as intended? Do you still agree with it? We had this discussion a while ago, yet it seemed that we never "officially" committed to using it, despite everyone basically now using it. Is there any other part of this that needs discussion?

On a somewhat related note -- after talking with Pat, I am in full agreement that the Wannabes team page on Twitch needs a little sprucing up, any ideas?

« on: November 09, 2016, 07:40:51 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks for compiling all of these into one post Pat & Kanaris ... Klazen is super busy getting situated with new life stuff at the moment, but I will relay all of these to him when he's available!

Together, we will Make Del-Fruit Great Again!

If you need help understanding any of the topics in math that you would actually use in an avoidance, just let me know - I'll hook you up with that fresh knowledge.

Announcements / Re: The Wannabes auto hosting discussion
« on: September 30, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »
Final thoughts

i don't think the team should be some elite club or shit like that. it's supposed to be a place where people who enjoy these games and other can come together and enjoy them together too. what i really would like is more stuff happening with the team. i know it's always easy to say that but for now we have like 1 event per year kinda. i personally don't even think we need only big things like FGM. the races between more people blind are completely gone which is sad (a lot from this comes because people just take stuff too serious which is another problem). the whole playing fangames to just enjoy them and have fun seems to slowly go away for many people. i really would wish that the team just gets closer together with each individual and that it is not only some split up group of people that maybe do something together every now and then. i hope people maybe kinda get my point and read through all this  :4Head:

You made an interesting point here about the team being really only "1 big event" per year. I am in complete agreement - I think the overall attitude has gotten more serious and less spontaneous when it comes to events, races, etc. We really do need to organize any and all events, even if its literally same-day friendly races between streamers (or even viewers). Bingo was promising when it was first released, but no one really uses it anymore. Get Yourself Fangaming is really the last weekly event we've ever done, and I'm glad it was being kept alive.

I think the main problem with this is that it stems from no community or team support for these events. I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned the "GYF races" and a lot of viewers have 0 clue what I'm talking about. If there's any planned event, even for the same-day or the next, it would be great if we received some team support for the idea from their own streams.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19