Author Topic: Team overhaul  (Read 4991 times)

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 56.0.2924.87 Chrome 56.0.2924.87
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Team overhaul
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »
Re: Relay Race

I always felt like this should have been a thing long ago, but I thought it was pretty hard to organize. With 3 Teams (which is probably optimal), finding 3 players of similar skill for the same game can be an issue, especially if we want to include 5+ games to make it lengthy. The other thing is timezones being a major issue for the europeans (I feel like most of the Wannabe Speedrunners are american/canadian, maybe I'm wrong)

Re: Team Organization

I don't really care what happens. Left the team a while ago because it just felt pointless being in it (and I was taking a break from streaming anyway). Would be happy to join back in if it gets more "serious".

Re: Other Events

What else can we do? Weekly Fangame Challenge was nice, but Bingo is absolutely not my cup of tea (maybe because I'm bad at playing casually). I feel like we should use the FangameMarathon Twitch channel more, broadcast a weekly 2-4 players (Blind-)Race with commentary (I am sure we can find someone to commentate for most of anything) or something along those lines.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
Re: Relay Race

I always felt like this should have been a thing long ago, but I thought it was pretty hard to organize. With 3 Teams (which is probably optimal), finding 3 players of similar skill for the same game can be an issue, especially if we want to include 5+ games to make it lengthy. The other thing is timezones being a major issue for the europeans (I feel like most of the Wannabe Speedrunners are american/canadian, maybe I'm wrong)

Re: Team Organization

I don't really care what happens. Left the team a while ago because it just felt pointless being in it (and I was taking a break from streaming anyway). Would be happy to join back in if it gets more "serious".

Re: Other Events

What else can we do? Weekly Fangame Challenge was nice, but Bingo is absolutely not my cup of tea (maybe because I'm bad at playing casually). I feel like we should use the FangameMarathon Twitch channel more, broadcast a weekly 2-4 players (Blind-)Race with commentary (I am sure we can find someone to commentate for most of anything) or something along those lines.

About using the marathon channel - this topic has been brought up before, and it was decided that it doesn't seem like the best use of resources to utilize the channel for a non-marathon. Another event-themed stream would be much more appropriate.

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
Even the GamesDoneQuick channel streams spotlights and racing tournaments from time to time as far as I know.

FangameMarathon already has a good Following that a new channel will probably not get to within a year.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:04 PM »
Even the GamesDoneQuick channel streams spotlights and racing tournaments from time to time as far as I know.

FangameMarathon already has a good Following that a new channel will probably not get to within a year.

Not to derail this thread into something as specific as the marathon channel, but I'll elaborate a little more.

The marathon channel was created with one use in mind - to host the fangame marathon. That's it. GamesDoneQuick was also initially started for the same reason, but they've grown extremely large and that's their decision to use it for non-gdq events. GDQ is a company, fangame marathon is simply me and Klazen. The dedication required to host anything regular would be a tedious task in and of itself. Very few people have access to the channel, and we like to keep it that way. Using it for non-marathon events makes the channel lose some its charm, its uniqueness, so to speak. An event channel, if used regularly, would certainly gain a following larger than I think you imagine.

On a side note, I still believe hitting the reset button on the team here is not a decision that would be beneficial. Events may be part of the answer, but team communication and a welcoming atmosphere is the key to running a successful team.

CakeSauc3

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
Regarding BINGO, Cake has been compiling a small private list (I think) of games that he thinks would be great in BINGO, so I think reviving and building BINGO back up would be little trouble. If it's done right the first time, we won't have to worry about it dying in 2 weeks.

I am indeed working on a list of more Bingo games to add to the pool, but it's going to be a while. I'm not the most experienced fangamer when it comes to the number of games I've cleared, so anyone who wants to help come up with possible games to include on the list is welcome to as well :)

Regarding other events, I would love to see some kind of weekly blind race happen the way BBF is proposing, and doing it with commentary would be neat. I also got the impression from talking with Sunbla earlier that he's interested in bringing back the Weekly Fangame Challenge in one form or another, which is something that would be fantastic.

Addressing the main topic, I don't know how much breaking up the current twitch team will really impact things, because I wasn't here back when the team was first formed in order to develop the proper perspective. I know that since I've been on the team I've heard Den's frustration on the fact that the team hasn't really been going in the direction that he's wanted, and I've heard people tell him that things will get better if the community comes together more. If we're still in the same place, and if Den wants to move on and do something else with the team, I believe that's probably not worse than doing nothing. As the general community we can still come together and make things work regardless of what happens to this specific twitch team.

BBF

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
Whatever happened to King of the Hill? That seemed like a really neat event.

Denferok

• Community Manager
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 55.0.2883.87 Chrome 55.0.2883.87
    • View Profile
    • My stream
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:14 PM »
I really don't think setting up a relay would be that difficult. Players being on the same level in terms of skill doesn't matter that much. For instance having someone who averages a 40 in run the marathon against someone who averages a 45 is completely fine, it doesn't matter much. It's supposed to be about the fun and entertainment aspect, not about who ends up winning.

Also what I mean with events is scheduled streamed events, not a random race between 2 people. Yes, having more small races is good but I want to do more with medium / big events.

Onynekyu

• Wannabe
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 05:53:28 AM »
What do you think about creating "FangameEvents" channel ? We could leave special marathon uniqueness on marathon channel while having lot of side activities on Events Channel.

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
  • Opera 43.0.2442.806 Opera 43.0.2442.806
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
I never ran a high quality stream because i don't have the equipment to do so but i always tried to do my best to make it as watchable as possible and just as fun as possible for me, I was inactive for a month because i lost my pc but i didn't make my inactivity a secret either, i gave a vague tweet and that was it, only a couple people know the full story. As of now I do plan to upscale my equipment after a couple (major) things are taken care of so it's a curse i'm stuck with for a few months if not more. I do think the team got a little overflowed true, but i do hope that this will lead to a better future, most of the experience with watching streams for me is the streamer himself and if i like the game and i don't like the streamer one bit, i don't even care if its a game i greatly adore, you'll never see me in that stream. This was just my overall experience, and i don't think there is much else to say. As zero said as well this is your team so do as you see fit.
A Random Signature