Author Topic: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!  (Read 93381 times)

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.101 Chrome 45.0.2454.101
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
Any chance we can make it so the author can indicate the current version of their game which would display on the page and then add a page like https://www.delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_version.php?id=15472 which would return just the current version number? This would let us check the game's current version whenever the player launches the game so we can tell them if they need to update or not.

A public API to check game information by id in a simple JSON format is on my radar. I'm not actively adding new features to the site right now because I'm so busy with other stuff... it's about all I can do just to keep up with maintenance and reports at the moment :Kappa:

I agree with WetWookie and disagree with Starz0r that it should be left out; that said there's merit in the idea of a curator functionality. I also don't think that del-fruit needs to log all versions of the game, just the most recent.

I imagine the process would go something like this:
- A reviewer requests access to a curator profile type.
- They are then verified through means decided by Klazen.
- They can then edit the entries of games they are the creator (or main collaborator) of (edit abilities should definitely been contained to just one profile per game to avoid collaborator bickering/miscommunication).
- The options at their disposable would be the following: being able to set and change download links, being able to upload screenshots without need for verification, being able to specify version type and, even though they're not currently implemented, being able to add a written bio. (The functionality of adding bios to your own games is something I think the site needs since self-review isn't necessarily an issue but looks messy and the creator review can get lost underneath the other reviews - this would remedy that ad also ensure creators self-review their own games were tampering with its score).

I think it's an idea worth considering. I suppose if you added versions you'd also have to add a function to select which version you'd played when reviewing.

Going along with this, at some point we'd like to switch delfruit over from passive game management to active game management. What does this mean? It means that users on the site can link themselves to their games, and update the download link themselves.

However, this involves a huge paradigm shift from the way things work today. The #1 hurdle, for instance, is how do we link people to their games? Do we let people put in requests saying "this game is mine, link it to me please"? The obvious way would be to cut out the middleman (the wiki) and let people upload directly to delfruit themselves. However, people are already concerned with a community split - no one wants to check 2 different sites to see if they missed a new game release. Also, since delfruit mirrors the wiki, if you remove your game there, it's gone here too - no need to remove from both.

Also, there's still the problem of the 2873 fangames that exist on the site today. Verification is pretty much impossible unless I know you personally - there are many accounts on delfruit whose names are not the same as the names listed as author for their games, and I can imagine the land grab that would be attempted if anyone could put in a request for game authorship.

Basically, it's this authorship issue which needs to be worked out before any of these ideas can move forward. The API could be worked out today, but it's just going to return the information you can already find on the site, not very useful for an autoupdater. The "Creator's Bio" for each game also sounds like a very neat idea, but again, is blocked by this.

Anon70000

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 39.0 Firefox 39.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2015, 12:20:26 AM »
since delfruit mirrors the wiki, if you remove your game there, it's gone here too - no need to remove from both.
there is a huge chunk of games that have been deleted from wiki, but still on Del-Fruit

Derf

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2015, 05:59:35 AM »
Fundamentally the wiki and Del-Fruit treat authority is differing and conflicting ways. The wiki doesn't care and Del-Fruit does. Unfortunately if Del-Fruit maintains its symbiotic relationship with the wiki I doubt the issue of authorship will have a satisfying conclusion. The only reasonable way you could do this is to accept that previous games' profiles may remain bare and unclaimed, but set up a framework for future games and profiles to function in this way. The way you sort the authorship issue is simple: people upload the game on their curator account before uploading it to the wiki, because as soon as its on the wiki it has no concrete authorship but beforehand the creator is reasonably speaking the only person likely to have a functioning copy of the game. The issue here is, as you've said, the occurrence of doubles and the fact that Del-Fruit asks users not to upload games that are on the wiki first.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
since delfruit mirrors the wiki, if you remove your game there, it's gone here too - no need to remove from both.
there is a huge chunk of games that have been deleted from wiki, but still on Del-Fruit

I'm not aware of any games that were removed from the wiki that you can still download on delfruit? There may be one or two that the creator submitted a download link for, but that's allowed. Please report them if you know of them.

Unfortunately if Del-Fruit maintains its symbiotic relationship with the wiki I doubt the issue of authorship will have a satisfying conclusion.

That's basically the heart of it. We originally made the site as a more user-friendly way to browse the wiki, with reviews as the focus, and only now are these other possibilities moving into the spotlight.

WrathofAnubis

• Trial Wannabe
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2012 Windows 8.1/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2015, 07:03:40 PM »
Noticed today that the user list seems to be broken, the table headers load but nothing else does.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
Just checked, not sure why but the webhost isn't letting me count reviews AND screenshots for each user... I can count one or the other, but if I try both then it just silently returns no results. So that's neat. I've removed screenshot counts from the users table, so at least the table loads.

Ataosama

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 41.0 Firefox 41.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
When someone's account is deleted all his reviews are removed but not his screenshots.

Ario147

• Spike Dodger
  • Sex me
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
When someone's account is deleted all his reviews are removed but not his screenshots.

What's the reason of removing someones screenshots, if they got approved and represent the game well?
Its a beautiful day outside.

Birds are singing, flowers are blooming,

On days like these, kids like you...

S H O U L D  B E  B U R N I N G  I N  H E L L .

Star0z Huez Pizdos

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.71 Chrome 46.0.2490.71
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Gamepad
« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »
This Website Created In 8 February 2015 Year,Really?
yes,i'am created happil 2.

pieceofcheese87

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Personal Text
  • Windows 10 Windows 10
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.80 Chrome 46.0.2490.80
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Tv Channel
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:22 AM »
yes
Signature

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
This Website Created In 8 February 2015 Year,Really?

Stinky was one of the testers on the site before it went public, which was a few days before February 8th. So the site was officially open to public on that date.

I have no idea what this has to do with anything

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Android 4.4.2 Android 4.4.2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 46.0.2490.76 Chrome 46.0.2490.76
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2015, 05:25:28 PM »
Take a look at his YT channel and you'll understand

:Kappa:

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2015, 11:04:32 AM »
We all wait with bated breath to see who the oppressive fangame regime chooses to elevate next.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
Take a look at his YT channel and you'll understand

:Kappa:

Now I'm really confused.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:08 AM »
Hello Del-Fruiters!

We have our monthly update of 'Wannabe of the Month' - featuring Igzicorus!

A somewhat newer addition to the Wannabes, Igzicorus is no pushover. Many of his streams are dedicated to completing one ridiculously hard task at a time - such as his own "Kamilia 3 Secret Bosses Mini Challenge", where he aims to beat the 4 games that the K3 secret bosses were taken from - before fighting the K3 bosses themselves! Much more than K3, he's cleared numerous difficult games and continues to do so on a very active schedule. If you want a streamer who isn't afraid of a challenge and will grind out the unthinkable, drop by Igzicorus' stream and say hey!

You can find him @ www.twitch.tv/igzicorus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We apologize for the 3-day delay on this Wannabe of the Month announcement - our initial selection had turned down the offer, and so we had to move that selection to another date and choose again! Congrats to Igzi, we hope you enjoy the front page of Del-Fruit!