Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - klazen108

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:51:18 PM »
Glad you like it! The GMS engine wasn't terrible, but there were some minor physics inconsistencies and some missing polish. We tried our best to incorporate everything that fangame developers have come to expect from the GM8 engines so that you could spend less time getting used to the new environment and more time making your fangame!

Maker Profiles / Re: Kyir's Fangame Emporium
« on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
You should definitely go for timeline order, there's a lot of backstory you don't want to miss out on

« on: June 17, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
I found another way to make it happen too, looks like game maker will keep the selected tile where it was when you switch tilesets, even if that's outside the boundary of the new tileset... Watch an example here

So yeah that's neat

« on: June 17, 2015, 05:50:44 PM »
Ok yeah, it sounds like it was a texture issue all along. Are you shift-dragging or ctrl-dragging to select multiple tiles on a tileset? Because when you do, game maker will let you select outside the boundaries of the tileset. And that tileset is actually part of a larger image onto which game maker packs all your graphics for your GPU... and I would guess that it just so happens that there was some Japanese text stored over there :Kappa: It's hard to diagnose because it typically shows as blank in the room editor, but in-game can be whatever is resident in your graphics memory.

« on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:52 PM »
Uhhhhhhhhhh....

Yeah idk why you would have random Japanese text showing up, looks like it could be a font texture problem. I'll need some more details to figure it out. Does it happen in every room, every time? Or just occasionally? Is it always the same image, or does it look different sometimes? Any objects that you add that seem to cause it to happen? is 'Clear Display Buffer with Window Colour' checked in the room editor under views?

For the collision stuff, you should replace your end step event with the new version, I'll paste it here so you don't have to download the whole thing:
(click to show/hide)

Then make sure to add the code to player create & platform player collision like I said a couple posts ago, and your platforms should work. If you get another errror, well, then I forgot to copy some code again

« on: June 17, 2015, 05:01:04 PM »
Does your player's end step look like this? (some comments and spacing removed so I could fit it all on my monitor at once :P )
(click to show/hide)

There's probably just some more code in the event that has changed since the version you have.

« on: June 17, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
Yoburg: glad to hear you found the problem! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Kyir: Thanks for the bug reports... That block one especially does sound dumb to fix. I'll see what I can do

EDIT:
I looked into it and I think I've found a fix for both problems. The GUI display was easy, just replace all instances of view_xview and view_yview in the Draw GUI event of the world object with 0 (Turns out that the Draw GUI event automatically offsets the draw calls for you, so you don't need to specify that you mean "draw this on the view" every time! Neat! Thanks based Studio)

For the platform bug, this is being caused by the platform trying to pull the kid up, but the block trying to push the kid back to where he was. The fix for this one is a little stranger:
Code: [Select]
////player.create
y_offset=0;

////player.end_step
//replace
//x+=hspeed
//y+=vspeed
//with
if (o.solid) {
x+=hspeed;
y+=vspeed;
}
if (y_offset != 0) {
y=y_offset;
}

////platform.player_collision
//right after djump = true, add this:
y_offset=other.y-9;

If you're using a version of the engine from before the align fix (I think everyone is? :P ) then you should delete the player's collision with playerKiller/block events, and add an end step event with the code in this engine. The physics are much more consistent with existing engines. I'm going to update the first post shortly with a new version... stand by!

P.S. If you've already been designing something in the engine and are afraid you'll miss all the changes that have occurred since you downloaded your copy of the engine... TOO BAD (jk jk) post here if you have any problems and I'll help you integrate the fixes with your work in progress.

« on: June 14, 2015, 11:07:36 AM »
It's possible it doesn't like the Cyrillic symbols. It's also possible that the music files get lost somehow - that happens to me a lot when I rename the project file, the audio files just disappear! Check inside your project.gmx/sound/audio folder, if the music files are missing from there you will need to download the engine again and put them back in there. Since only the music is missing for you I think this is the most likely cause, but if not we'll work something else out

« on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »
The FS_ functions are part of an extension in the engine that we used to write the save files outside of the curated AppData folder, if you're not seeing them highlighted in the engine then that's an issue we should figure out... can you post a screenshot of the Extensions folder on the left side? You shouldn't be using the build-in file_* functions that gamemaker provides.

« on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:28 AM »
Kyir: Make sure your views match the room size (800x608 or 800x600, whichever you're using) as inconsistencies can cause it to stretch the room a little.

yoburg: GMS is a little wonky when it comes to save files. By default, all save files are stored in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\YourGameName. Some people have expressed disdain for this, so we tried to make it save the files to the directory where the game is. This has opened a whole new can of worms though. What this means is that in testing, you won't get save files. If you need them, go to the Macros section on the left, and change EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY's value to a folder where you want your saves to go for testing. Make sure to change it back to working_directory when you're done. Another side effect of this is that you have to use the zip export option when creating an executable, not a standalone exe. Saves in the folder with a standalone exe will never happen, there's just no way around it. I'll be sure to lay it all out in a help file when the engine is done, sorry about the confusion! It's all a big mess.

« on: June 11, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »
Yeah, I think doing our best to copy the physics as they are in GM8.1 Yuuutu for now is probably best. That way, if people are reluctant moving from 8.1 to studio, this is one less reason for them to avoid it. Plus, for the majority of fangames, people won't even need to touch the player's code! So no one will really notice the mess I left in there :Kappa:

I'm going to clean up a lot of the code in the engine now, and leave some nice comments, and then I'll release a new version here in a day or two (I'm also just one level away from max in Splatoon so I might be doing that instead :P ) Big thanks to everyone helping with testing, everything's really coming together!

« on: June 10, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
Okok today we have another journal entry in the long quest to get an accurate fangame engine in GMS! I was looking into the walk-off align differences today, and comparing them between engines. For the following test, I took a bad align for the walkoff (imagine that the good align for a rightward facing spike is align #3, then I had #1) and then held right until the kid collided with the spike, and recorded the position at the start/end of each frame. Looking at the results from GM8.1 and GMS, it appears that the position is the exact same on every frame! Therefore this is definitely a collision issue. In GM8.1, the kid collides with the spike at (294.00, 439.87), but the kid in GMS survives at this position. Maybe it's because the position for collision is being floored (down) in GMS, where it's being rounded (up or down) in GM8.1? I don't think this would explain the issue with minispike walkoffs though...

////////////////////////////////////GMS Results:
begin of step     end of step
(282.00, 439.47) (282.00, 439.47) //start position
(282.00, 439.47) (285.00, 439.47) //first step of movement
(285.00, 439.47) (288.00, 439.47)
(288.00, 439.47) (291.00, 439.47)
(291.00, 439.47) (294.00, 439.87) //should have collided here
(294.00, 439.87) (297.00, 440.67)
(297.00, 440.67) (300.00, 441.87)
(300.00, 441.87) (303.00, 443.47)
(303.00, 443.47) (306.00, 445.47)
(306.00, 445.47) (309.00, 447.87)
(309.00, 447.87)                  //Collided!

//////////////////////////////////GM8.1 Results:
(282.00,439.47) (282.00,439.47) //start position
(282.00,439.47) (285.00,439.47) //first step of movement
(285.00,439.47) (288.00,439.47)
(288.00,439.47) (291.00,439.47)
(291.00,439.47) (294.00,439.87) //Collided!

I wonder if modifying the playerKiller collision detection in end step to round position values would make it behave the same? I'll have to do more testing. (And yes, I did bunny-hop until my v-align was identical in both tests :Kappa: )

EDIT: Literally 3 minutes after I posted this I changed the place_meeting(x,y,playerKiller) line in the end step event to place_meeting(round(x),round(y),playerKiller) and the kid dies when you don't have the correct align! Left-facing minispikes are still acting up, so the root cause there is something else.

EDIT 2: As for the minispike/kid image_xscale issue, I'm trying to separate the block collision and move it into the end step function as well, but I can't seem to get it to work how it should... even if I do the if (solid) x=xprevious... stuff, the kid gets stuck, stutters in the ground, can't jump, all sorts of nasty things. If we could get a working collision event in the form of if (place_meeting(x,y,block)) then we could try rounding the coordinates differently and possibly make some progress.

EDIT 3: Ok, I should really shut my mouth and code before I start posting :Kappa: I managed to get the collision with blocks working perfectly in the step event, turns out you have to do x=xprevious/y=yprevious at the start of the event, and x+=hspeed/y+=vspeed at the end of the event... go figure. Anyway, after I did that, I changed the collision check like so:
o = collision_rectangle(x-5.5,y-12,x+5.5,y+8.5,block,1,1);where o is a variable holding the id of the block if there is one (like 'other' in the collision event). Adding 0.5 to the coordinates actually seems to work, I can walk off all the minispikes now, and only with the correct align! So the question now becomes, is it really worth switching to this arcane collision system in order to maintain a perfect replica of physics, or should we embrace the new way that GMS suggests? Leave me your comments if you have any!

« on: June 09, 2015, 12:53:00 AM »
Just leaving a note for myself and anyone else who's using the engine, I've got a couple of bug reports recently:
-If you bind shoot and jump to the same key, you'll get softlocked in the menu (thanks Stonk :Kappa: )
-Every align is the walk-off align for sideways spikes (think T-bones) maybe I'll leave this one in ( ͡•ᴗ͡•)

If you find any other inconsistencies with the engine let me know!

As for the GMStudio Standard limitations, I've got Pro so I don't know what all is different, but as far as I know you only have to live with the hardcoded title bar & splash screen (and the lack of a few advanced features no one will ever use in fangames :P ) - Seph and I added the in-game GUI display with deathtime to account for this, so hopefully that's not a big issue. Studio goes on sale all the time, keep an eye out and you could nab it for 50% or more off like I did! It's well worth it considering how great of an IDE it is.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Shadesbot Plays Guy Games (Fangame AI)
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
Hey Guys!

If you were around in the Fangame Marathon on Saturday morning EDT, then you probably saw the project Zebbe and I developed which is dubbed Shadesbot Plays Guy Games (a playful poke at Twitch Plays Guy Games). If you missed it, the project is an artifical intelligence based on a neural network, which is iteratively improved via a genetic algorithm. If none of that makes sense, all you need to know is that the kids will try to learn how to do platforming automatically, while you sit back and watch their futile efforts :Kappa:

We had the idea for this project after watching SethBling develop an AI with similar goals for Super Mario World, which he dubbed MarI/O (best name ever) - you can watch an except of that here.

Zebbe and I have decided to release the source code for what we've made here on the forums, in case you want to poke around and see how it was done. The project was developed in Game Maker Studio using an old GMS engine off the wiki; I wouldn't recommend starting a serious fangame in the project, but it was good enough for our purposes :P Game Maker Studio has a free version, so you can install that to load the project - no need to go hunting for a R) version of GM8.1!

If you'd like to ask questions, or discuss anything about the project, post here! We would love to talk about the project, and collaborate with anyone who is interested. I'd love to see this running even better, and maybe tackling a real fangame some day!

Download the GMX project file for Shadesbot Plays Guy Games

Watch Shadesbot's run from Fangame Marathon here

Tournaments / Re: FGM Wrap-Up/Future Considerations
« on: June 07, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
Hey everyone!

I had a blast doing the restreaming, it was an honor to have helped out. Overall, I think the marathon was a huge success! There were some very minor issues, but considering that we've never done anything on this scale before it's mind-blowing that things worked out as well as they did! For instance, we never had to scramble to find a runner right before their scheduled time, big thanks to everyone for being very professional and prompt.

Here's my thoughts on things, as a professional marathon watcher :Kappa:

Game Blocks: I'm not a big fan of blocks of games, I like variety. Blocking games together doesn't encourage me to show up to the stream when the blocks I want to see go live, I would have been there anyway! Rather, it encourages me to leave when a block of games comes up that I don't want to see. I will concede the point about Awful Games Done Quick, blocking together the silly games could be a good idea so that people know what they're getting (heck, I personally love the Awful Games block at GDQ events). This is just my personal preference, we should keep discussing this as events like AGDQ always do this, maybe there's a reason there that I'm not connecting with.

Time Estimates: Yes, these were very messy :P but I don't think this is due to sabotage or anything of that sort, this is simply inexperience on everyone's part (schedulers and runners alike). No one wants to be mercy killed, of course! But an estimate should be as accurate as possible. This is actually why I declined Rekt from being in the marathon - there's no possible way to give an accurate estimate for that game! Before you give an estimate, you should run the game multiple times and get a feel for how long it will take you - don't just base it off your old PB from months ago before you stopped running the game. Your estimate does not have room for cushion - every minute you finish under estimate is a minute that could have gone to another run, and another minute we have to scramble to find content for before people get tired of waiting and leave. The only guideline I can give towards coming up with an estimate is to bring it as close to your PB as possible - if your PB is 30 minutes, but it's possible you could lose 5 minutes to RNG throughout the run, then go with 35 minutes. Be smart about it, make your estimate as low as possible and strive to meet it!

Memes: Never thought I'd see the day where 'memes' was a bullet point in a list of considerations for an event :Kappa: This is a natural part of marathon streams, and Twitch in general. But the key is to let it flow naturally - let the viewers make it happen, this is actually the one part of the experience they have control over! Some mods were spamming messages faster than the cooldown that everyone else has to abide by, and this kinda robs the viewers of their fun (I'm not making accusations, nor am I angry at anyone at all - this is just hypothetical discussion for next year!). If you were modded during the marathon, it means that you were a runner in the marathon, or that you are a Wannabe, a close friend of the Wannabes, or that you brought something else to the table that has really helped out. That badge is there to help you stand out in chat, to show that you're someone worth looking up to, someone who should be listened to. Please be a good role model!

Restreamers: We had 3 restreamers for the entire 40 hour period of the marathon (4 if you include the times Geezer did Twitch Plays Guy Games). TJ streamed for 7.5 hours + 8.5 hours, and I streamed for 6.5 hours and 9 hours, and Wolsk had his block for 5 hours. I feel like our core team could have been bigger, including someone who could help the streamers with prep before their runs (often times I had to communicate with the runners and explain how things were going to work right before their run, and things got difficult when I had to do that while entertaining the viewers over in the main stream!) However, one thing I think we really got right was responsiveness to the chat - every time I watch AGDQ, something happens (for instance, game audio being too quiet) and chat spams about it for what feels like forever with no response from an admin! I'm sure they had noticed and were working on it, but you really need to acknowledge chat as fast as possible. Whenever we had an issue, we made sure to let chat know we were fixing it, and then got on it right away. That's a great way to boost professionalism. Speaking of game audio, this goes out to all the runners - first and foremost, a marathon's purpose is to put on a good show. This means that if an issue comes up with your stream, the best thing to do is stop and fix it! Don't just keep running, having a functional stream is more important than trying to PB! If you need to check stream quality, audio levels, etc, please find someone to check for you well before it's your turn to go on (you can always ask one of the admins, we'd be more than happy to check).

That's really all I have to say about the matter, and it doesn't mean that I think we failed any of those things! These are just ways to go from good to great at our next event (and we are gonna do this again, right? right!?) With this hugely successful experience under our belt we now know the guidelines to set, things to keep an eye out for, and ways to improve, and I believe next FGM will be even more successful than the last! Thanks again guys for letting me be a part of the experience, and I hope you had as much fun as I did!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20