Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - klazen108

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: November 28, 2015, 10:02:16 PM »
Hello there, I wen ton this page, and sorted the list by rating, because I wanted to see the highest rated fangames. Only to find that the best ones were all obscure fangames with only ONE rating.
Is it possible to make a kind of search function that will sort the best fangames, but not only with average score, but also how many ratings it has, that way, only ones that have been rated a lot, and still have a good 9+ or 8+ score will appear there. That would be amazing.
Thanks!

-Cantavanda

This is definitely something I've thought about, the ability to search for fangames with a certain threshold number of ratings. There's lot of neat statistics we could play on the set of ratings! However, as of right now, we've only got 5000 reviews for 3000 fangames - on average, there's 1.6 ratings per game (and over 1000 games with no rating at all!). Now don't get me wrong, 5000 reviews is freaking insane, and I think it's awesome we've had this much community involvement! But I think from a statistical point of view, we still don't have enough data to start drawing conclusions at this time.

I'll play around with the idea of a review count threshold, if I get results that look useful I'll consider pushing an update (don't take that as a promise :Kappa: )

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Screenshotting in newer studio engine
« on: November 23, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »
Fun Windows fact: Hold Alt and press Print Screen for a screenshot of the currently active window. Then you can paste it in paint just like an ordinary screenshot. The only difference from the old fangame screenshot method is that this will include the title bar as well, you could see that as a feature though.

Video Discussion / Re: Delicious Fruit Is Delicious
« on: November 23, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »
The music track selected for this video is oddly appropriate :Kappa:

Game Design / Re: Flexible moving platform
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:34:05 AM »
So I gave it a shot, and got something going reasonably well in Yoyo's studio engine. I threw this together really quick, it's not finished yet but it's 1:30 am and I'm going to bed so I thought I'd just post it here to share :Kappa:

This demo has moving platforms vertical, horizontal, and diagonal, as well as platforms moving on a path (and theoretically any other method you can think of). They seem to handle just like ordinary platforms too, but we all know I'm no good at replicating fangame physics so take that with a grain of salt.

It looks like path movement and hspeed/vspeed movement is handled at different points internally in the game maker engine, so there's some incompatibilities there causing the code to not be simple. I might fix this by just removing the hspeed/vspeed part and moving manually, or manually do the path stuff, not sure, just thoughts as the sleepiness takes over. Anywayyyy here's the link if you want to look

Warning I broke non-moving platforms so you're going to drop to your death as soon as you spawn ingame if you don't put some blocks under you. Already uploaded the project and don't feel like fixing it atm. Sorry! That's what you get for playing Early Access™ demos

The Lounge / Re: (Fan)Game of the Year Award???
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »
I'm guessing you mean something like this, but for this year :Kappa: https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1310.0

Game Design / Re: Automatic R to Restart?
« on: October 20, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies, while I would definitely welcome the feature in new games, I was hoping someone might have written a program that can run in the background and work on any existing games, at least the Game Maker ones anyway.

Well you asked in the Game Design forum, so we gave you game design tips :P

It's certainly possible to do, you'd just have to write a program that watches the death count in the save file (or in the program memory if you're feeling adventurous), and sends an R keypress when it changes. Both definitely possible.

Game Design / Re: Cannot find valid runner data!
« on: October 11, 2015, 04:03:29 PM »
It's the price you pay for living the life of a pirate :DapperKapper:

Game Design / Re: Kamilia 3 All Gird for Game Maker
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
gird    gird    gird
    gird    gird
gird    gird    gird
    gird    gird
gird    gird    gird
    gird    gird
gird    gird    gird
    gird    gird
I giggled

« on: October 07, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
Just checked, not sure why but the webhost isn't letting me count reviews AND screenshots for each user... I can count one or the other, but if I try both then it just silently returns no results. So that's neat. I've removed screenshot counts from the users table, so at least the table loads.

« on: October 06, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
since delfruit mirrors the wiki, if you remove your game there, it's gone here too - no need to remove from both.
there is a huge chunk of games that have been deleted from wiki, but still on Del-Fruit

I'm not aware of any games that were removed from the wiki that you can still download on delfruit? There may be one or two that the creator submitted a download link for, but that's allowed. Please report them if you know of them.

Unfortunately if Del-Fruit maintains its symbiotic relationship with the wiki I doubt the issue of authorship will have a satisfying conclusion.

That's basically the heart of it. We originally made the site as a more user-friendly way to browse the wiki, with reviews as the focus, and only now are these other possibilities moving into the spotlight.

Programming Questions / Re: How to make a triple jump?
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:47:12 PM »
Most (all?) engines use a value called 'djump' to determine if your player can jump again. However, they just check for "true" or "false" - if true, you can, if false, you can't. Adding triple jump is fairly straightforward; instead of using it as a true/false check, use it as a counter - check if djump is greater than 0 to double jump, and remove one for each time you jump.

Take a look a this example: https://klazen.com/gm/8g (pay attention to the green comments - they explain what's changing between the two sections). On player collision with block, we set djump to 2. then, in the playerJump script, check if djump is greater than 0, and if so, subtract 1 and jump.

I tested this in the YoYoYo Engine for GMStudio, but the concept applies to all engines I can think of. Just edit those mentions of djump and you should be good to go! You can ignore the three sections at the bottom of the script snippet if you're not using the YoYoYo Engine, they're only there for completeness and shouldn't be necessary if you're using Yuuutu or a similar engine. Do check the player's create event though - you may need to set djump=2 there as well.

« on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:27 PM »
Any chance we can make it so the author can indicate the current version of their game which would display on the page and then add a page like https://www.delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_version.php?id=15472 which would return just the current version number? This would let us check the game's current version whenever the player launches the game so we can tell them if they need to update or not.

A public API to check game information by id in a simple JSON format is on my radar. I'm not actively adding new features to the site right now because I'm so busy with other stuff... it's about all I can do just to keep up with maintenance and reports at the moment :Kappa:

I agree with WetWookie and disagree with Starz0r that it should be left out; that said there's merit in the idea of a curator functionality. I also don't think that del-fruit needs to log all versions of the game, just the most recent.

I imagine the process would go something like this:
- A reviewer requests access to a curator profile type.
- They are then verified through means decided by Klazen.
- They can then edit the entries of games they are the creator (or main collaborator) of (edit abilities should definitely been contained to just one profile per game to avoid collaborator bickering/miscommunication).
- The options at their disposable would be the following: being able to set and change download links, being able to upload screenshots without need for verification, being able to specify version type and, even though they're not currently implemented, being able to add a written bio. (The functionality of adding bios to your own games is something I think the site needs since self-review isn't necessarily an issue but looks messy and the creator review can get lost underneath the other reviews - this would remedy that ad also ensure creators self-review their own games were tampering with its score).

I think it's an idea worth considering. I suppose if you added versions you'd also have to add a function to select which version you'd played when reviewing.

Going along with this, at some point we'd like to switch delfruit over from passive game management to active game management. What does this mean? It means that users on the site can link themselves to their games, and update the download link themselves.

However, this involves a huge paradigm shift from the way things work today. The #1 hurdle, for instance, is how do we link people to their games? Do we let people put in requests saying "this game is mine, link it to me please"? The obvious way would be to cut out the middleman (the wiki) and let people upload directly to delfruit themselves. However, people are already concerned with a community split - no one wants to check 2 different sites to see if they missed a new game release. Also, since delfruit mirrors the wiki, if you remove your game there, it's gone here too - no need to remove from both.

Also, there's still the problem of the 2873 fangames that exist on the site today. Verification is pretty much impossible unless I know you personally - there are many accounts on delfruit whose names are not the same as the names listed as author for their games, and I can imagine the land grab that would be attempted if anyone could put in a request for game authorship.

Basically, it's this authorship issue which needs to be worked out before any of these ideas can move forward. The API could be worked out today, but it's just going to return the information you can already find on the site, not very useful for an autoupdater. The "Creator's Bio" for each game also sounds like a very neat idea, but again, is blocked by this.

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
irandom_excluding script to pick a random number from 0 to some upper limit, skipping one number in the range

blast_shape script to blast a shape in cherries, including triangles, squares and stars

Triple Jump how to add triple jump to your game (shows exact edits for YoYoYo Engine, but the concept applies to all engines)

array_shuffle script to take an array and shuffle its elements

draw_rotated draw any sprite as if it were rotated into/out of the screen.

Game Design / Re: Cultured 2 Painting Contest
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:35:36 PM »
Sorry guys! The contest is closed. Thanks for all your suggestions, but we're not accepting any more paintings. Look forward to the release someday if maybe piece ever finishes his boss :)

« on: September 24, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »
Aha I see, I understand why that's happening. Thanks for the report, I'll take care of this as soon as I can.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20