Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - klazen108

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20
Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:56:35 PM »
The event order is Create Event -> Instance Creation Code -> Room Start. So you can usually put handlers in the Room Start event to use any values you set in the room editor!

And Step, try opening this GMZ instead? Maybe the project is getting corrupted or something, idk, this is the first I've heard of that happening! klazen.com/IWBTG/archive/GMS_Engine_KS_Edition_v0_9.gmz

« on: July 13, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
v0.9 is out! Just a couple of minor bugfixes for this version.

1) I've fixed the roomChanger object, so you should be able to walk between rooms now if you place one at the edge. If you're using an older version of the engine, just add
Code: [Select]
onCollide=true to the create event of the roomChanger object to fix.

2) Also fixed an issue where if you place a platform next a block, the player gets sucked in. This only occurs if you place the block after the platform in the room editor, if you place the blocks first it shouldn't. If you're using an older version of the engine, you can place all blocks first, then platforms, or you can replace the player's end step event code with the following:
(click to show/hide)

This was my fault for only considering one block collision per frame, so it's possible this solves other issues where you can collide with multiple blocks at a time. Thanks to Lothjon and Kyir for the bug reports! Hopefully there's not much left to fix!

« on: July 13, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »
That's strange to hear, Stepcore. Could you try downloading a fresh copy of the engine from the first post and opening/running that? I just did and the physics were normal for me, plus we've had a game and multiple test rooms developed in the engine so far and things seem to work fine. What you describe sounds very much like one of the earlier versions of the engine, before we fixed aligns and collisions. Also, what version of GMStudio do you have? If you're already using a clean copy of the latest version of the KS engine, maybe you need to update GMS (I'm running 1.4.1567 r36800)

Game Design / Re: Looking for people to work with
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:35:45 AM »
Alright, very cool, seems like you know what you're doing! I'll be looking forward to seeing updates on this engine, so don't forget to keep us posted!

Also, the project has been hosted on Github since the beginning on a private repository. Programming large projects without version control is Hell...

tfw you can't fork a private repository :BibleThump: True that though, I'm happy that GM Studio splits the project file into its constituent parts to make version control possible, back in GM8 we had one monolithic blob of a project file that contained all the resources and made it impossible to track what changed... not to mention the amount of time it took to save after you packed a bunch of music/sounds/images into it *shudders*

« on: July 12, 2015, 11:38:11 PM »
It is a lock-FPS mechanism (no frame skip, but rather slo-mo mode on iwbtg).

Alright, that shouldn't pose any issues then. I'd like to see a delta-time implementation some day, but for now, that remains an interesting thought experiment (Although I think Starz0r had something along those lines, I should check that out). When your game comes out we'll see how well you did matching the physics!

This means I am not using jogl or lwjgl, and I have no experience with those anyway. From what I've heard you can't draw directly to the screen with jogl and I'm really unsure about how that works. All I can say is that if I were to include jogl or lwjgl I would (probably?) have to rewrite a lot of the code.

Well if Swing is doing well enough for you, why fix what ain't broken ;) Certainly go for getting everything to work first. OpenGL is pretty complicated, it's very difficult to make anything resembling a "hello world" example using it, so it requires a lot of warm-up time as you learn how to interface with the GPU. I would say that "you've got the proper interfaces, e.g. Drawable, set up to abstract the actual code away so you only have to update it in one spot", but it's never as simple as that is it :P You do have everything structured well though, very good to keep the responsibilities separated like that so that a game tells the room to draw, the room tells the objects/tiles to draw, and the objects/tiles do the actual drawing. That said, it would certainly require some effort to replace the graphics layer. Might be an interesting thing to fork and add one day, if the code ever ends up on github or the like!

One thing I'd really like to see is your collision handler code. Are you doing pixel-perfect collisions, or using polygonal bounding boxes? Did you write an algorithm based off the Separating Axes Theorem? That was the fastest, most functional thing I found when I was researching the subject at the time, would be interested to hear if you went a different way.

PS. I'll be more impressed when you can have those lines move around to specific points of origin and go through certain points and have different slopes :-). Also collisions!

This is why I can never get any work done :Kappa: https://i.gyazo.com/47c0c28177fcd9a74961cd180d4d04ac.mp4

« on: July 12, 2015, 09:39:19 PM »
Yo!

As someone who does Java programming for a living, it is beyond awesome to see someone working on a fangame engine in Java. Are you going to release the basic engine to the community? I know there's a bunch of us who would love to provide feedback and help make it the best it could be - there's a lot of intricacy in fangame physics that can be tricky to replicate if you're not experienced in the dark arts of "pixology" as we so lovingly call it. For example, if you're using a delta-time system instead of locking the frame rate to 50FPS, then there's no guarantee that a 0.02 second tap will move you exactly 3 pixels, and many people depend on this to line up their jumps.

I understand if you'd like to keep it under wraps until you finish your game, completely understandable to not show all your cards before you show the winning hand haha. However, I'd also be interested in just hearing what (if any) frameworks you're using, like LWJGL or JOGL, to envision some of the design choices you made! (From what I can see in your screenshot it looks like you're using the standard AWT graphics system - you could really harness a lot more power with OpenGL or DirectX, just a suggestion ;) ) Having a fangame engine available in a general purpose programming language like Java would be great for the community, as even though many people are already very experienced with gamemaker, I believe in the power of competition (yay capitalism). I know I would certainly be interested in using it, to interface with all the other great things Java has to offer.

As an aside, you shouldn't brush us "game maker programmers" off so lightly, as I replicated your screen sector-blocking demo in Game Maker Studio in 20 minutes - we certainly can do trigonometry :Kappa: https://i.gyazo.com/5b20a3c3240409df06fdd89c7ab50ecd.mp4

Programming Questions / Re: FMOD Help
« on: July 12, 2015, 11:49:14 AM »
You might need to get the correct codec if audacity won't open the file, but then that leads to the question of what format are these files in? Go get this and try again: K-Lite Codec Pack If you still can't open the file after that, then it's probably a protected file. Or maybe it's a sign that you shouldn't be using K3 sound effects in your game :MVGame:

It's also possible that you missed something in the code. You mention that you tried this in a clean version of the Seph engine - do the other sound effects work correctly even if you copy them somewhere else? What about loading a completely different sound, one not from the K3 files, does that one work? Just for reference:

1) Once, on game start, you load the sound into a global variable:
global.sndPlayerJump = FMODSoundAdd("sfx/sndPlayerJump.wav",false,false);This takes a file in the sfx directory named sndPlayerJump.wav (make sure everything matches, idk if it's case sensitive but better safe than sorry) - and leave the two false values as-is, they specify 3D/Streaming capabilities which you won't need for this. (Although streaming is nice for BGM - keeps the huge files out of memory and loads instantly on startup)

2) When you want to play the sound, pass in the global variable you created:
FMODSoundPlay(global.sndPlayerJump);And that's all there is to it.

Programming Questions / Re: Making Title Screen Show Stats For Saves?
« on: July 11, 2015, 12:46:52 AM »
What engine are you using? Most (if not all) should be displaying the stats on the file select screen for you already. Like Kyir says, the variables you're looking for will look something like global.death[j] and global.time[j], where j is 1,2 or 3 depending on which save file you want to look at. Check for a titleButton object, or a menuSelect object, and you should see those variables being populated in the create event. If you give us some more detail we can help pinpoint what you need!

Programming Questions / Re: roomChanger crashes the game
« on: July 08, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
I think you gotta put onCollide=false in the roomchanger create event

Yep, this is a bug in the current version of the engine, I've got it on my list to fix in the next update. For now that's how you can fix it (there's more detailed instructions on page 5 of the KS engine thread). Sorry about that!

Tools & Software / Re: RMJ to GM:Studio Converter
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:49 PM »
Don't make me have to code vines in too :BibleThump:

« on: July 08, 2015, 12:23:24 AM »
The problem I have with the engine is that there is no way to resize the screen.

We actually did include fullscreen toggle in the engine! It's just in the main menu, there's not a keybind for it. But you can see it here:
(click to show/hide)
Just hit shift on the "Screen" option to switch between windowed and fullscreen mode.

« on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:24 PM »
Oh, that must be something I missed. you need to put the following in the roomChanger's create event:
onCollide=false;
(click to show/hide)

GM8 defaults to false if not set, GMS errors if not set. I guess I forgot to add that and never tested it! But that should do it for you.

Programming Questions / Re: "You forgot to put a BGM for that room!"
« on: July 02, 2015, 03:43:59 PM »
Guess I should make the error popup tell you to add the room to the musicFunctions script :Kappa:

Programming Questions / Re: How to actually START making a fangame?
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »
If you want to change the game name that appears in the title bar, you absolutely can. it depends on the engine though, which one are you using? look for a Script called "initGlobalOption" or "SetGlobalOption" and see if there's a spot for your game name, like this:

Or if your engine doesn't have that, maybe it's in the world object's Room Start event, like here:

(Note that this is the same engine as above, so it just uses global.Game_Title. You might see a string there instead that you can edit)

Hopefully that helps! If you let us know which engine you're using, I can find the exact spot that it's placed at.

Programming Questions / Re: How to actually START making a fangame?
« on: June 29, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, but typically when you make a fangame you'll take the engine and just add in all of your custom stuff. Just delete anything you don't need, or just don't use it, rooms & objects don't take up any space, it's just graphics/sounds you have to worry about!

This is actually one of the reasons Seph's engine is so clean. It has only the basic required sprites/sounds/objects and none of the frills, so it's perfect for experienced developers that only want the fangame physics prepared for them and want to develop all the content on their own.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20