Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - klazen108

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
If thats true does it have something to do with image_xscale = -1 not working correctly?

It's a possibility, there was a bug in the engine I've fixed already where you could turn around and get stuck in walls, which leads me to believe that the hitbox is inbalanced in GMS... perhaps in GM8 the center was between pixels, but in GMS it's in the center at the .5 mark? I'm not sure how to test that, gamemaker doesn't allow you to set the origin to anything but integers.

« on: May 26, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
Updated first post with v0.7! Changelog at bottom of post.

We've put minispikes & miniblocks in the engine now. However, leftward facing minispikes still seem to kill you if you walk off with the correct align. We're not sure of the cause, if anyone wants to help us look it would be appreciated!

-Added minispikes, miniblocks (note: walk-off align seems bugged for leftward-facing minispikes)
-Menu now reflects the correct keybinds for accept/back
-Added editor-only icons
-Added saveblocker object
-Fixed blood sticking to corners in midair
-Moved blood in front of spikes
-Added ability to enable/disable difficulty select

« on: May 23, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
Dev tools I'm keeping all locked away in a separate, optional debug object. I don't like baking it into the engine because Yuuutu 2015 did that, and we're still getting games on the wiki with dev tools enabled :Kappa: There are some good ideas in there to add to the debug object though.

Starting room & game name are already currently in the global config.

Version number, Save File Location, Config File Location, External Music Folder Location: the basic engine doesn't use external music, and the version number is an interesting idea... I do like the idea of being able to specify where the saves go, just because you do have to change it in a lot of places if you ever need to do it differently for some reason.

« on: May 21, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
Can I suggest adding something similar to the SetGlobalOption in yuutu? It's nice having globally changed things toggle able on and off from a single spot.

The first room/room caption is set in initSetGlobals, and the controls/in game settings defaults are set in load_globals. If there are any specific items you'd like to add to initSetGlobals, let me know and I'll put them there! I agree that having big things accessible separately from the rest of the game is incredibly helpful, especially when it's your first time in a new engine.

« on: May 20, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »
I'd love to go to a larger resolution too, but I feel like we're already up against enough pressure just switching to GMStudio :P maybe we could make an experimental engine with some new stuff to release alongside the basic version!

« on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »
Thanks ilvpag for trying it out! Glad to hear you didn't run into any issues. I've implemented all the suggestions/bugfixes you mentioned.

As an aside, if you want your savefiles accessible during development, there is a hack available to you:
(click to show/hide)
You can change the EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY macro to whatever folder you want, and it will save the files there. But be careful, make sure you put it back to working_directory before you release your game! I may add a warning message to objDEBUG if EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY != working_directory, just as a reminder.

Edit: Oh! And about that "switching over" guide... Sadly I'm now 100% used to GMS and so I've kinda forgotten some of the differences :P However, I do know a few big things, like the creation event order between GM8.0 and GMS, the inability to make variables default to 0, the need to specify single executable when compiling your final game... and if there's anything anyone else remembers giving them a hard time, please let me know! I'd be happy to write an update guide, especially since I plan to rewrite my "getting into fangame development" guide to use this engine as its base.

As of now, I'm not aware of any basic engines available in any other programming languages with all the physics and gameplay worked out (and basic is an understatement - writing a game engine meant to be built upon is serious work!) If you're interested in developing a fangame without using gamemaker, but would like to get the physics right, feel free to ask questions, or research for yourself! I'd be very interested to see something like that developed ( ͡•ᴗ͡•)

On a side note, this tutorial is pretty outdated now... I need to write a new one for GMStudio now that we've got a working engine for it!

Engines / I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: May 18, 2015, 10:23:47 PM »
Hey Guys!

You may have heard that GM8.1 is rip... I think I speak for everyone when I say: :BibleThump: However, this marks the beginning of a new era in fangame development... Sephalos and I have joined forces to bring you a new Fangame Engine, this time for Game Maker Studio!

Game Maker Studio is completely free and quite stable (no more asking around for downloads, or having glitchy GM8 crashes). I took the existing GMS engine on the wiki, and gave it some tender lovin' care. Then, Seph joined forces with me to do some work of his own! Here's a selection of things you'll find:
  • Physics fixes - the infamous Zurai Strats still work, and you can't get stuck in blocks, nor can spikes in blocks kill you.
  • Added an extension to save your save files to the same directory as the game
  • Included a little overlay that displays your deathtime in the game - useful if you have the free edition of GMS and can't update the window caption, and completely optional!
  • If you're used to the Seph engine, you'll be used to this one - We tried to structure it the same way!
  • It comes with a nice main menu, complete with control bindings and other neat features, ready for you to customize!
All of this on top of the new GMS platform, which gives you better performance and neat new features!

However, we'd like to ask you for your help now. We're pretty much ready to release, but we want to get some feedback from developers in the community on the physics and features we've developed for you. If any of you would like to help us make the best engine we can, please try it out and let us know what you think!

Note that we don't recommend you start any big projects with this engine just yet... while everything seems like it works, it could use a bit of testing to confirm that it's 100% stable and correct. Develop at your own risk!

Download the v0.961 Beta version of the KS Engine here!

NOTE: Make sure to use the "zip export" mode when compiling your final game! You need this in order for save files to appear in the same folder as your game. I don't think that's an option with standalone executable mode. If you still want to use a standalone executable, you'll have to standby until I can test and verify a method to put save files back into the AppData folder, right now they're being put in the temp folder where your game is being extracted to!

NOTE 2: This engine was developed and tested in GM Studio version 1.4.1567. I have received confirmation from yoyogames that collision detection behavior is changing for version 1.4.1598. if you use KSv0.9 or earlier in GMSv1.4.1598, no walkoff aligns will work, and spikes in blocks will kill you. Therefore, if you're using version 0.9 or earlier of the KS engine, you must use GM Studio version 1.4.1567. I am working on a fix for 1.4.1598, and I'll maintain both versions until 1.4.1598 is officially released.

Changelog:
Code: [Select]
v0.96:
-New physics engine to better match the standard Yuuutu-type physics without bugs (thanks to YoYoYoDude1!)
-Inability to bunnyhop / getting stuck in screen transitions should be fixed thanks to above
-Fixed misplaced GUI in fullscreen mode and at top of screen in general
-Cleaned up many unnecessary objects/sprites/sounds
-Added more comments in code
-Added vines

v0.9:
-Fixed roomChanger crash when walking between rooms
-Fixed player getting sucked into blocks if a platform is placed next to it

v0.8:
-Fixed walkoff aligns for all spikes
-Fixed deathtime GUI being out of place if the room scrolls
-Fixed bug with platforms that caused the player to get stuck if next to a block

v0.7:
-Added minispikes, miniblocks (note: walk-off align seems bugged for leftward-facing minispikes)
-Menu now reflects the correct keybinds for accept/back
-Added editor-only icons
-Added saveblocker object
-Fixed blood sticking to corners in midair
-Moved blood in front of spikes
-Added ability to enable/disable difficulty select

v0.6:
-Fixed music restart on F2
-Fixed sndCherry, sndBlockChange, sndBossHit missing from engine
-Added savefile indicator in main menu
-Corrected views (should be all 800x600 now)
-Added 'readme's to many objects
-Other minor fixes/alterations

v0.5:
-Intial beta release

please helperoni
                                                             we do this shit for you guys
                                             we fixeroni

Tournaments / Re: FGM Mega Thread [Info, Schedule, Everything]
« on: May 18, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
I'm glad this became an actual thing from just an idea in TJ's chat. The layouts look awesome.

Hey, that's how Rekt became a thing too :Kappa:

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *READY SET GO!*
« on: May 13, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
there's no way GM code can cause the game to freeze and stop responding forever.

Code: [Select]
while 1 {}
:Kappa:

...on a slightly more helpful note, crashes that happen after a random time period are usually traced back to memory leaks. They can cause unexpected things to happen; for instance, create events stop firing but everything else runs normally (true story). This almost always has to do with improper use of the following: particle systems, lists (or any other ds_ structure), sprite creation/destruction, surfaces, external loading of resources. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but they are the most common causes. If you use anything like those anywhere in your code, I would try commenting them out and trying to run your game again, even if you're sure that there's no way that whatever is happening is related. If it turns out that they are a cause, you can track down the culprit and then try to apply a better solution than simply commenting it out.

In order to fix this issue, you need to compare your save/load scripts and make sure they're writing/reading the same number of times. Make sure one doesn't cut short (Error Reading Byte means that you've already reached the end of the file, but you're still trying to read). Maybe you're reading an empty file? Check to make sure the file exists first.

Maybe the save script skips to a different spot to write the deathtime and you didn't do the same in load? The error mentions the first microtime read - how many reads are done before that? That will give you a clue of where to look in your save script. Maybe the save script stops just before that write in some cases. Maybe your save script isn't saving the 'microtime'. If you don't need that you can just remove the microtime lines from the load script.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
No, you should never post a link to a game on delfruit unless you're the author. If you're the author, you should put it in the wiki and we'll pick it up from there, that's the easiest solution. If you're not the author, then you need to ask the author to do that for you. If the author isn't reachable/isn't around anymore, then there's not really anything you can do :atkCry: but we're not accepting link submissions from anyone but the original author, to prevent distribution of private games.

« on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:24 AM »
Sorry about that! I've fixed the issue.

I had to rework the search query recently, turns out we have so much information in the database that I had to optimize the query to get it to even run... Guess I broke it a little bit! :D

« on: May 06, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »
Also: One of the problems when dealing with the wiki has always been broken links.. Is there any consensus on how to deal with that?

Our links for the games go straight to the wiki; there's no way to confirm if a link still works other than by trying it. If a link is broken you can report the game to tell us to remove the link (and people often do!) - then you can do an advanced search with 'Require Download Link' to find games you can download.

I'll look into including review count as a parameter in the advanced search, but that code is getting pretty unwiedly as it is :P

Tournaments / Re: The FGM Schedule!
« on: May 05, 2015, 08:57:42 AM »
We scheduled everything around the races; I had them in bold so they were easy to see :P

But now that scheduling is done, let's just go with the races being bold so all the participants can make sure they're ready for the race :Kappa:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20