Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - klazen108

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: September 24, 2015, 11:14:08 AM »
I just checked Zorgo Needle and I don't see an impossible tag, can you screenshot it for me?

(click to show/hide)

Programming Questions / Re: Spike Trigger Error in KS Engine
« on: September 10, 2015, 01:16:27 AM »
I had custom spikes, parented to SpikeUp

If you overwrite the events, make sure you do
Code: [Select]
event_inherited in the child events. Otherwise, the parent events don't get called. That might have had something to do with it.

« on: September 10, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
Sorry, I had to make some modifications to the site to support account closure, and due to the database structure change the advanced search isn't working. The tags & creator names lead to an advanced search, so those will be gone until I can refactor the search query. Sorry! I'll post here when I've got a fix.

EDIT: Ok I think I got it, thanks for the report!

Programming Questions / Re: Spike Trigger Error in KS Engine
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
You mention you set the trigger value in "Creation Code" - is this Instance Creation Code or in the Create Event? It shouldn't matter, but it would be good to confirm.

I just checked the engine myself, and it seems to work fine; can you confirm your code looks like the following?

Spike Instance Creation Code
(click to show/hide)

Trigger Instance Creation Code
(click to show/hide)

spikeUp Create Event & spikeUp Step Event
(click to show/hide)

Your step event looks correct, so we just need to find where the problem is. Which kind of spike are you using for this trigger? is it a spikeUp, or a different kind of spike? Is it a custom spike object? If so, show me the Create Event for it, I want to make sure trg is being initialized.

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
« on: September 06, 2015, 01:19:16 AM »
GG WP NO RE

(Thanks for the contest! Very cool seeing all the entries this year. See you next time!)

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
Classic gamemaker! Thanks for the notification, I'll fix that really quick. You know, I bet when they change the physics all this rounding will be unnecessary and it'll just work (hopefully)

« on: September 03, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
Sorry! Looks like Game Maker Studio doesn't scale GUIs with the rest of the game... to fix it add this to the Room Start event of the world object:

Code: [Select]
display_set_gui_size(view_wview[0], view_hview[0]);
(click to show/hide)

I think this warrants a new version, hopefully there haven't been any complaints on the new physics engine!

EDIT: OK now that I've updated the first post, here's the...

Detailed Changelog for the KS Engine v0.961:

New physics engine to better match the standard Yuuutu-type physics without bugs (thanks to YoYoYoDude1!)
Inability to bunnyhop / getting stuck in screen transitions should be fixed thanks to above
The new physics engine that Yoyo worked out should be more accurate, and everything seems to work fine. If you're updating, you'll need to remove all the end step code from the player, and add the block collision event instead. The player's end step event should have nothing but the playerKiller collision check:
(click to show/hide)

Also edit the playerJump script to round the y coordinates:
(click to show/hide)

Note that YoYoGames (not to be confused with YoYoYoDude1 :Kappa: ) do intend to change the collision system in the next version of GMStudio (current version is 1.4.1567) so when the update is released this will have to be reworked again. Check back later!

Fixed misplaced GUI in fullscreen mode and at top of screen in general
I forgot a minus sign in the GUI code for when the GUI is on top of the screen, so the text was always visible. That's been fixed. Check the Draw GUI event of the world object for the code you need to change:
(click to show/hide)

The GUI also didn't work in fullscreen because apparently the Draw GUI event doesn't scale with the screen resolution. To fix that, check the world's Room Start event for the code that updates the GUI resolution:
(click to show/hide)

Cleaned up many unnecessary objects/sprites/sounds
Cleaning up the engine for its final release. We're going down to the bare minimum of the world, player, menu, and basic level design objects like blocks, spikes and apples, platforms and vines etc. Nothing to change here if you're updating your older copy.

Added more comments in code
Like above, trying to document everything to be more friendly to those trying to learn how a fangame engine works. Let me know if there's anything you feel isn't explained well enough!

Added vines
Neat

« on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »
it might be nice to have a "buddy system" where you can flag users as buddies, or follow them, or something, and there'd be a tab for filtering out all recent reviews to just those of your friends/people you like the opinions of. It would be less cumbersome than checking their accounts individually. I don't think it should be publicly viewable who is following who if we want to avoid ganging up and such, which seems to be a worry of Klazen/tehjman's, but I do think it would help the site feel less disparate, which is my general problem with it. (And something you seem to agree with by worry of lacking communication on the site).

Done! You can now follow a user on their page, and filter the reviews page by buddies/all if you're logged in. I'll probably add extra features for this (maybe mark buddies' reviews on game pages with a star or something idk) if I get more time. Let me know if this is useful or if you encounter any bugs (of which I'm sure there are a ton ;; )

EDIT: tfw I got the 108th post :4Head:

EDIT 2: We've updated the site to only display downloadable fangames in the "Newest Fangames" list on the homepage. Anyone can still submit games, but they won't show up there since normal users can't add download links. If you report the game and add a download link an admin will review your request, and if approved it will appear in the newest fangames list. All games added are still visible in the full list, and available to be searched at any time. Note that if you want to add a game to the wiki and to delfruit, DON'T SUBMIT IT TO DELFRUIT! We'll pick it up as part of our daily scan of new games on the wiki. Thanks again for your support!

The Lounge / Re: Is there a way to translate read me files?
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:36 AM »
If the readme looks like this:
(click to show/hide)

Then it's because the file is encoded in Shift-JIS and your computer doesn't have the Japanese settings installed to read it. If you download Notepad++ (an awesome text editor that everyone should use instead of Notepad anyway) then you can specify the encoding yourself:
(click to show/hide)

And then it should look like actual Japanese text!
(click to show/hide)

You can then copy this into google translate to see what it means.
(click to show/hide)

« on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
EDIT: Also a glitch I just found, I'm not sure if you know but even if you have multiple spoilers in one post, clicking to reveal one will reveal all of them but leave the buttons to reveal the others ones intact.

I noticed this on the review that you just posted, never tested it with multiple spoilers in a single review! I've updated the javascript to fix it; you may need to do a force refresh on your browser to pick it up immediately, otherwise it'll grab it when it feels like it!

Oh yeah and this:
My account logs itself out every couple hours or so - is this intentional? Is it a browser thing? It's kinda annoying.

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm not 100% sure what the cause of this is... despite adding in cookie sessioning, there are instances when you still get logged out. It seems to work fine for me most of the time, so it's hard to debug. I don't have a lot of experience in from-scratch web development, so I'm not really sure what to look for!

« on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
There's nothing set in stone, it's just a common sense thing. It's better to feature someone who will stream at least once during that month, ya know :Kappa: But at the same time, I don't need you to have an established M-F schedule with at least 4 hours a day or something like that.

There's certainly nothing stopping you from copying chunks of code and objects between engines, but without taking a look myself I can't promise it will be simple. If it's just the triggers then it should be fairly straightforward, but make sure you make backups of your stuff before you try! :P

That being said, when I was starting out getting used to game maker and the intricacies of fangame development, I didn't spend my time trying to learn the engine inside out! If I were in your position I would probably stick with the YoYoYo engine, that way you can focus less on getting the engine to do what you want and more time designing your game. Once you've worked for a while then you'll naturally come to experience how the engines work, and then it becomes a lot easier modifying them to your needs. Whichever way you go, feel free to ask questions!

As for decompiling games, GM8 and GMS project files are pretty incompatible. Even if GMS can import GM8 projects, they often won't work without heavy modification, due to how differently things work underneath. If you want to make a medley of the thousands of games that exist today, you'll have to make it in GM8 or be prepared to spend a lot of time manually importing things over (which is not my idea of a good time :Kappa: )

« on: September 01, 2015, 01:30:59 AM »
The concept of this worries me. It has good intention, but to be honest, as of right now it just sounds like a slightly bigger version of a twitch host. It seems that a similar effect could come from just hosting someone through the fangame marathon channel.

The main reason that prompted this is because I got tired of looking at the FGM announcement on delfruit's home page for the past 4 months :Kappa: This isn't some brand new concept that we think will revolutionize the way you think about Hosts™ forever, it's just a fun little idea that we figured could give the news section some fresh content while taking a moment to show off the team members. 

Plus, many people already knew about and watched sunbla beforehand, so I would simply like to know if your picks will range to the streamers with less viewers, such as Iginlaj and JGBMaster.

There's not really a requirement to be picked, but right now we're prioritizing Wannabe team members. There's no official system or bureaucracy that decides how you get picked, we're just starting off easy and we'll work it out as we go along. Sunbla was kind enough to agree to be a sort of pilot test to try out the system, and we're thankful for that!

Another thing I'd like to know is how well you think the concept will turn out. Most people come to delicious fruit just for the games and the reviews. To be honest, I can imagine that some people will come to the site and completely overlook this feature. I don't mean to make a big assumption, but it is a possible problem, even if occurring on a small scale. I would like to know how you feel about these problems and if you are thinking of a good way to fix them up a bit.

Again, I'm not trying to make a big impact here, ya know? If not even one extra viewer shows up due to the spotlight, then was anything lost? The answer is no. Heck, as an example of the value this adds besides directing viewers to the stream, we included Sun & Zero's recommended fangame list, something that maybe not everyone is familiar with. I think that fits pretty dang well with the theme of delfruit. For future Wannabes we may show off some funny highlights, talk about games they've created, show off personal achievements, you name it.

I hope to see a more helpful and more practical idea in the future.

Sorry man, maybe next time.

Holy cow, that was pretty comprehensive! You should consider splitting it off into a sort of "intro to coding" tutorial, I know a lot of people who are craving something exactly like this ;)

As a small addition, I definitely agree that the best way to learn coding is to look at code that does what you want to do. Lemon's engine in particular has a sample room with a few trigger types in it, you can see how he implemented those there and generalize that approach. Or just google "changing object size in game maker" - you might be surprised how many results you get! Learning how to code on your own isn't so much memorizing how to do everything yourself, but rather it's learning the right questions to ask in order to get what you need :Kappa: (Although a solid base of knowledge and experience certainly makes coding faster, easier, and less error-prone, you need to get that experience somehow!)

After you've figured out the way that many of these gimmicks are implemented, and have a basic grasp of the kinds of things you have control of (in this case, knowing that you can change the sprite's scale with image_xscale and image_yscale makes it a lot more obvious what you need to do to stretch it), then you'll find the whole world is open to you!

« on: August 30, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
Hey guys,

Yoyo sent me the updated physics code from his testing, and I've included it in a new update for the KS engine - it should simplify things and fix previous problems, like lack of bunnyhopping. Going forward, this engine will be more of a "clean" engine, like the Seph engine was for GM8.1 - we'll focus on the basics, like player physics and save/load code. If you're looking for a friendlier engine with lots of standard gimmicks in place and ready to go for your level design, I highly recommend you get the Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition instead!

I haven't done extensive testing with the new physics code since I'm bad, so if anyone wants to try it out, I'll leave it here for a while before releasing the official version. If there's any problems, let me know, you know the drill by now :Kappa:

Download the KS Engine v0.95

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20