Author Topic: Shadesbot Plays Guy Games (Fangame AI)  (Read 1890 times)

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.152 Chrome 42.0.2311.152
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Shadesbot Plays Guy Games (Fangame AI)
« on: June 07, 2015, 03:48:42 PM »
Hey Guys!

If you were around in the Fangame Marathon on Saturday morning EDT, then you probably saw the project Zebbe and I developed which is dubbed Shadesbot Plays Guy Games (a playful poke at Twitch Plays Guy Games). If you missed it, the project is an artifical intelligence based on a neural network, which is iteratively improved via a genetic algorithm. If none of that makes sense, all you need to know is that the kids will try to learn how to do platforming automatically, while you sit back and watch their futile efforts :Kappa:

We had the idea for this project after watching SethBling develop an AI with similar goals for Super Mario World, which he dubbed MarI/O (best name ever) - you can watch an except of that here.

Zebbe and I have decided to release the source code for what we've made here on the forums, in case you want to poke around and see how it was done. The project was developed in Game Maker Studio using an old GMS engine off the wiki; I wouldn't recommend starting a serious fangame in the project, but it was good enough for our purposes :P Game Maker Studio has a free version, so you can install that to load the project - no need to go hunting for a R) version of GM8.1!

If you'd like to ask questions, or discuss anything about the project, post here! We would love to talk about the project, and collaborate with anyone who is interested. I'd love to see this running even better, and maybe tackling a real fangame some day!

Download the GMX project file for Shadesbot Plays Guy Games

Watch Shadesbot's run from Fangame Marathon here

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 43.0.2357.81 Chrome 43.0.2357.81
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Shadesbot Plays Guy Games
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »