Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Kyir

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20
Programming Questions / Re: Mid-Boss Avoidance
« on: December 24, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »
Since these are fangames, you can pretty much get away with coding stuff any way you want. It's not like we're operating the LHC over here. Baron asked for suggestions, I gave him one, as did a bunch of other people. Sorry mine didn't live up to your best coding practices or whatever.

I don't see why everything always has to devolve into a climactic struggle between right and wrong with you.

« on: December 23, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
Persistence is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. My way has the added benefit of simplifying things if you want attacks to change after the avoidance. There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to this sort of thing though.

Thanks for the tip, Kyir! With your way, though, would I be able to keep the healthbar at a fraction of the total health? I'm really unfamiliar with how healthbars are handled in gamemaker studio.

To be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with visible health bars myself. If you want one that persists through the whole fight, one of the other options suggested would probably be more suited to it.

« on: December 23, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
Persistence is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion. My way has the added benefit of simplifying things if you want attacks to change after the avoidance. There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to this sort of thing though.

« on: December 23, 2015, 06:52:43 PM »
If you want it to transition to an avoidance at the same HP value every time, you could make a duplicate of the boss that just starts at whatever value that is. So you'd have the original boss object that that ends when the avoidance starts, and then when that ends you just bring in the second one starting at the proper value.

Programming Questions / Re: Warping to more than one point in a room
« on: December 22, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
It would probably be easier to just make a unique object for warping in this situation. Just call it warp2 or whatever.

I'd make DestRoom, xx, yy, variables in the create event. Set them to whatever.

Collision with Player:
player.room = DestRoom
player.x = xx
player.y = yy

Then when you place them in the game set the creation code to where you want the player to go in each case. Anything else frankly seems like over-complicating it, unless I'm grossly misunderstanding the problem.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna be the Bear: Attack of the Girls
« on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:26 PM »
Yeah I'll just say it again, there's a difference between being critical of your work and portraying it as absolute garbage. One of those two options will make no one ever want to play.

Game Design / Re: Mega Avoidance!! How to make it not too dificult/tedious?
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
Rainbow Miku is pretty bad already when it comes to length, let alone almost doubling it.

Game Design / Re: Mega Avoidance!! How to make it not too dificult/tedious?
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
No, I don't think it's a good idea. Even if you implement it your way, 25 minutes is a hell of a lot of avoidance without bonus HP. It might be interesting as a standalone game, but there's going to be a certain sense of betrayal from some people if they do a bunch of platforming and are then faced with something of that magnitude out of nowhere.

If you really, really, really, want to do something like this, I think offering more HP or cutting down on the length is almost mandatory. Finding 50 minutes of good song clips is also probably going to be a challenge unless you're fine with reusing the same stuff everyone else does for their bosses.

The Eye of Providence is actually more closely associated with the Freemasons than the Illuminati.

That particular sprite is from Nuclear Throne though.

(Actual not shit quality:httpss://i.gyazo.com/2b1b97c953de245a7b5aede32d6aafg0a2.mp4)

I'm still debating between a few different versions of the money ring. To be honest though, I'm reaching the point where I don't get a whole lot of enjoyment from the actual gameplay design of any aspects of fangames. Graphics/audio is so much more fun.

Tools & Software / Re: Twitch Title Helper
« on: December 10, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, how did you differentiate fangames from other games?

Tools & Software / Re: Fangame Skins...?
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
I'm almost certain it's not possible unless everyone started coding some kind of hook for it into their games uniformly.

PS: I should clarify, almost certain it's not possible for Studio.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: More progress on the worst fangame ever
« on: November 29, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
Ugh. I'll be glad when I get this game over with, 'cause I'm seriously running out of ideas. It ignores a lot of traditions that most fangames follow. Game's absolute garbage that nobody will like.
(click to show/hide)
Stupid avoidance is stupid. You can sorta do it to the music, though.
(click to show/hide)

Just a word of advice from someone who has spent a long time making a lot of different things: if you aren't positive about your own work, no one else will be probably. Everything's going to be flawed in some way, but focus on the positives.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna REDACTED the REDACTED
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:02:34 AM »
Sorry, I'll be sure to try harder next time.

Programming Questions / Re: Looping Actions?
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
Though this doesn't exactly answer your question, I'd honestly just say alarms are more trouble than they're worth when it comes to things like this. You would probably have an easier time with setting a variable in create and then just ticking it up/down in step until it reaches a certain point, then executing whatever action you want and resetting the variable.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20