Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Kyir

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20
The Lounge / Re: Full Fangame Maps
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:24:37 AM »
So do you have a particular method for making these? Or are you just using the snipping tool on every window of each game? The latter sounds pretty tiresome.

Tournaments / Re: Fangame Marathon 2016 Wrap-Up/Future Considerations
« on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
I think people in the community, especially on the Twitch team should not be streaming during the marathon and hosting it to show their support.  I was extremely agitated to find people on the team streaming during the marathon, not in relation to it whatsoever.

You might have a point with people on the team not streaming, but saying that other people in the community shouldn't is sort of silly. It's assuming that both there's a mandate for people unrelated to the event to try and increase it's viewership, and that stream viewership is a zero-sum situation. There's not really a case to be made for either as far as I can tell.

Seems like things turned out pretty well despite other people streaming anyway.

User-Made Creations / Re: The New Ultimate Fangame! [o_o]
« on: June 11, 2016, 09:18:36 PM »
I heard somewhere that announcing your intentions on doing something gives the same satisfaction to your brain as actually doing it, so you never actually end up doing it.

The opposite might also be said, that proclaiming something before enacting it puts positive pressure on the person to do it lest they lose face. You see it a lot in 1v1 competition.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna REDACTED the REDACTED
« on: June 11, 2016, 04:39:11 AM »
Just a small patch. I'm working on a bigger remaster of the game, but this isn't it. All old saves should still work, but if something's broken please contact me and I'll figure something out for you. Several files are set to be hidden, so please extract the RAR in the standard way instead of copying files manually.

- Fixed several particularly easy/hard segments to normalize the difficulty curve.
- Fixed spike/block priority so that players can properly walk on the edge of a block near a spike.
- (Hopefully) fixed the elevator crash.

What to expect in the remaster:

- More comprehensive difficulty balancing.
- Revision of the dialogue system to prevent storyline disjoints during backtracking.
- Revision of the teleporting system to remove annoying popups.
- Fixing the text issues in fullscreen mode.
- Credits sequence.

Can't say when exactly it will arrive, but hopefully within the next few weeks. Depends how big the issues prove to be. See everyone around!

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« on: June 02, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
I mean, does it really cost you anything extra to wait until the completion date to decide whether or not there are enough games to warrant judging? I can't claim to have any insider information on other people's progress, but when I took part in the first contest I wasn't super vocal about how much/little work I was doing.

Looking good so far! I'm going to have to start fiddling with shaders next time I have time to work on games again.

Programming Questions / Re: Where can I find some nice tilesets?
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »
I just google "32x32 tileset" every time I need one.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I Wanna Do My Max - DEMO Available
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:41 PM »
A lot of people get mad if you don't use an engine that has physics they expect. You should go with whatever you like best, but just be ready for the complaints.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna be the coolest
« on: April 10, 2016, 10:44:40 AM »
The platforming was creative, but unnecessarily easy. The boss was better, because it got interesting patterns that were more challenging to understand and survive. So, you've got good ideas, but games really need to be harder than that.

It's also possible the game was just intended for newer or less skilled players? Not everything needs to be finger-shatteringly difficult.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Be The Quarzious - Quarzious Mode
« on: April 03, 2016, 07:15:41 AM »
"This isn't even close to cyberbullying" is exactly what a cyberbully would say.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: April 01, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
And now we wait till tomorrow to see if this is an april fools prank or not?

Game Design / Re: Crow Once, Praise Twice
« on: March 30, 2016, 12:49:35 AM »
I don't see why it should be. It was more of a recommendation than anything, so people don't feel like they need to list 10000 features.

« on: March 29, 2016, 10:46:28 PM »
A feature is pretty much any isolated aspect of a game. So you could say the graphics overall, or the graphics in a particular area, or even a single sprite if you wanted. It's only really different from saying "I liked everything in this game."

« on: March 29, 2016, 02:04:36 AM »
The thing I'm most proud of in one of my games is probably the boss from REDACTED. Not many people seemed to get how the story plots and lots of information wedged in places explained what it was exactly, but I'm really pleased with my explanation anyway, and on top of that it was far and away the most work I'd ever put into a boss. Except for the song, two sound effects, and the bullet sprite, I made everything in that boss by hand, and I think it shows in the end product. Other people seemed to like it a lot too! I would love to see more games build up to to the boss, even if it's not necessarily in a traditionally textual sense.

I absolutely love the procedurally generated platforming boss in I Wanna Get Rekt. I've heard from an inside source (50/50 chance at guessing who) that the code is an absolute mess, but it struck me as a really original idea that at least appeared well-executed. I'd love to see more of that in other games. I guess it's still technically RNG, but it feels like a much more refreshing version of it compared to how an apple spray lands.

It's not specific to any one game really, but I love Mr. Wonderful's music choices across his entire collection of created games. On top of just being different from what most people pick, and even if they were intended to be at least partially a joke, I genuinely enjoy almost every song in his games. More music variety is always good! Especially boss music.

Game Design / Crow Once, Praise Twice
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:37:43 PM »
(For people whose first language isn't English: to crow is to "say something in a tone of gloating satisfaction.")

I have observed two problems:
  • People around here are too negative about everything. I say this as a negative person who is struggling to improve.
  • People don't talk enough about game design in the game design forum.
To remedy both problems, I suggest the following. People who have made games (or are working on games currently) should say name one feature of a project of theirs that they are proud of, and two features from other people's projects that they liked. In addition to less general negativity everywhere, it would be nice to get more of an insight into specific features that other people enjoy.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 20