Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - lawatson

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25
Video Discussion / Re: Quindeca Ledge
« on: October 31, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »
sick nasty!

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna take the Timemachine 2
« on: October 26, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »
Change the language on the title screen. It'll look like a flag, and you can change it so you know when it's english.

Programming Questions / Re: S save sound effect stops stage music.
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »
Oh, and wav file sizes are usually *REALLY* big compared to mp3s. If you're not okay with that, you might have to make them into .ogg files and use an external sound engine.

User-Made Creations / Re: My first game
« on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »
So many Kill the ___ titles these days, but what can you do when there's 3 thousand of them? I'll play it and give my words about it.

EDIT: Alright, time to tell people stuff.

Okay, so there's quite a few technical problems in this game (You can decide whether or not you want to fix them in later games.) There's restarting music, which you can fix by removing the sound_stop_all() lines in the playerKill script and the world object press R event, and finally in the playerKill script changing the sound_play(snd_Death) to sound_play(snd_onDeath) or something like that. Next, there's the weird window resizing when pressing R. Basically, what you want to do is go to the init room and change the view settings to what you want to be the normal view size (800*608 preferably.) That's basically it for technical problems, so now for a review.

Alright, so basically the game is needle as far as I went (I stopped on the water screen). There's a bit of variety of the tiles and you can tell that the maker was trying! The needle is also pretty generally good until the water screen. So here's some things you should work on. First, don't use deep blue water. Not only does it kind of make it hard to see in, but it also gives you singlejump in midair instead of double jump, which can be pretty hard on people when playing. Second, being able to shoot saves from far away isn't up my alley that much either, but depending on the game, it depends. Basically to make the saves system a little better in your games is to program a bullet blocker if you want one, or even make them S saves (press S while touching them to save). Lastly, be sure to test your games. Trust me, it helps. If you think your game is fun and people would like it, you're not wrong 99% of the time. For a first game, even though it had some problems, I could definitely see the effort put into it and I think that if you take some time to get settled into Gamemaker, you can make a really good game! I hope your next is better, and maybe try to fix on some of these problems (Especially the technical ones).

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Some needle/platforming questions
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »
I'm not sure about others, but I normally don't see a need for canceling or valign tricks in needle games. There's a few exceptions where I feel obligated to use it (such as certain jumps in needles like TAS) and maybe some specific jumps in RMJ, but other than that usually I am set with regular shift presses.

Tools & Software / Re: jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: October 15, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »
Die To The Spike theme! Spriting it was painful... Courtesy to Yoyoyodude1 for original game.

DL: httpss://www.dropbox.com/s/82m889nj9ynt7v2/yoyospike.zip?dl=0

Tools & Software / Re: jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: October 15, 2015, 05:49:59 PM »
I made a skin for K3 Secret 4. (It's a little bit more high-def than the original guy tileset, btw.)

httpss://www.dropbox.com/s/qvwa5fk82jrstra/k3s4.zip?dl=0

EDIT: V1.0.1 - Minispikes and less irritating bg color.
EDIT: V1.0.2 - Fixed minispike bug >.>

Meet and Greet! / Re: now I am become forum
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
oh sweet, I already knew about rao and his little dudes beforehand, didn't think someone else would too!

Game Design / Re: Cannot find valid runner data!
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
Reinstall gamemaker, and then in the search bar type %appdata% and press enter. In the gamemaker folder, there'll be a rundata file, and what you do is copy and paste that into a backup folder so that whenever it crashes you can just copy paste the backup and it'll work again. It's kinda boring but you get used to it after a while.

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Kill The BLB [Shukuteki Tamatou]
« on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:55 PM »

Keep it nice.

I'm not pandering to the community that thinks these games are acceptable anymore. There is 0 redeeming qualities in this fangame, and is clearly made as a joke.

lmao doesn't refrain from the point that you were being a rude little mister there, be nice to people even if their creations aren't to your liking!

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Kill The BLB [Shukuteki Tamatou]
« on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »
Don't be discouraged, I will play this game for a bit and provide some feedback.  :atkWaifu:

Okay, time for feedback.

Basically, it's a medley for people who are wondering.

The screen picks are kinda mediocre, but who can I blame, a lot of games are mediocre lol.

The music choices are kind of blaring and loud, and the music restarts which kinda makes it a tad bit more annoying. There's also a memey game over sound (It says tamatou i think)

After the stage, there's a boss. It's kinda nicely designed and you can tell there's some production value. It sends you to an avoidance, and then after that you get to kill the boss. I think that the boss might have been a little cooler if you chose from a different avoidance, and maybe also improved on the boss's attacks itself. Afterwards, there's finally a little spam-shoot segment. I think of it more as a choke, but anyways, once you beat it, the game is over.

Why this game is good:
-Interesting and somewhat nicely designed boss

Problems in the game:
-Boring screen picks
-Unfitting music picks
-Not a lot of stages
-Technical issues (weird screen size in one of the rooms, and restarting music)

If I gave this game a 1/10 rating it would probably be a 5-6. Don't worry, though, my first games were a lot worse so just keep on going!

Help, Suggestions & Feedback / Re: Eradicating spambots
« on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:52 PM »
How about generating a random mathematical question or trivia question? With more different possible answers it should be possible to keep out a lot of spambots, and even then if someone doesn't know an answer they can just google it  :atkWaifu:

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: October 08, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
Rainbowness!
(click to show/hide)

Make sure to use it on black and white sprites for the most effect.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I Wanna Kill The Gecko v. 0.1
« on: October 07, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »
tfw this dude say IWKTG

(I'm gonna update this later with my thoughts)

edit: real important to compile it into an exe. there's a button on the top of gamemaker which does that. Please update this immediately lmao

The Lounge / Re: Blind RMJ Maps - Round 3
« on: October 06, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »
Damn, now that I have opened my mind to water and vines this has become quite a creation....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 25