Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Meet and Greet! / Re: Hi
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »
Hi purple, welcome to our community! I think you'd be interested in the public IWC discord: httpss://discord.gg/0Sifpi2HDVSnZ5e9

Meet and Greet! / Re: This exists
« on: June 17, 2016, 01:32:06 PM »
Welcome to the forums Klaty, I hope you enjoy being part of our community.

We're considering rebranding/renaming the marathon to avoid having the same acronym. It's unfortunate because FGM rolls off the tongue and everyone already knows it as that. "Aiwannathon" (IWT) is one we thought of that sounds pretty good, nothing is final yet of course.

Tools & Software / Re: Livesplit auto splitters
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:19:26 AM »
I made an autosplitter for I wanna be GENKI with you but forgot to post it on the forums. Here's the link: https://pastebin.com/pEifyy4A It requires 11 splits, and there's a 12th you can uncomment if you want for the first phase of the final boss (the chase).

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna run the Marathon
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
Aaaaaand another small update, 1.2. It fixes an occasional freeze on closing the game, occasionally music not playing, and the second screen of stage 2 causing lag. Sorry for having to redownload if you're updating, I know it takes a long time.

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna run the Marathon
« on: June 14, 2016, 05:42:14 PM »
We just released an update to the game, version 1.1. The download link is the same, and the change log is in the original post and in the game zip. Skip fixes, bug fixes, and balance changes. We plan to have this be the only update to invalidate speedrun times.

Thanks everyone for the love, we're greatly enjoying watching playthroughs and speedruns of the game!

Tournaments / Re: Fangame Marathon 2016 Wrap-Up/Future Considerations
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
After being a part of the tech crew, I have a lot more respect for organizing a live event and for what goes on when you see the "up next" screen. Even though it was stressful it was a lot of fun. I'm excited to help out with the next event, though in the future I'll be a lot more busy with RL commitments so we'll see.

Thank you for the summary TJ, I generally agree with every point. I especially think the variety of segments was great. There were a lot of non-normal-speedrun events and I think they all went great: blind race, fangame creation, draw my guy, david and goliath, churatch sunpossible, twitch does avoidance, needle maker, jump master, twitch plays guy games 2. And the rest of the normal speedrun events had a great variety within themselves.

User-Made Creations / I wanna run the Marathon
« on: June 13, 2016, 12:08:14 AM »
This is the game that me, Mr Wonderful, Kadykunde, and Pieceofcheese87 made to be raced blind at this year's Fangame Marathon. Enjoy!

Download Link: https://cwpat.me/i-wanna-run-the-marathon-download

Version 1.1 change log

Version 1.2 fixes occasional music, freezing, and lag issues.

General Games / Re: Never Ending Sentence
« on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:18 AM »
the same guy

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
I think it's expected for people to work on their submissions up until the deadline. I personally know some people working on contest games and I'm sure there's more I don't know about. Pieceofcheese and I were planning to make a game, but then we started making the blind race game for the marathon with other people and that took priority.

You could consider being more casual with the administration if it's too much work. The contests are a nice community event to have, and as a bonus they bring in new game makers to our community.

This is more of a suggestion for the future, but I think 4 and half months is too long. A shorter deadline, say 1 month, would make it more approachable to enter. It's less of a commitment, the pressure is lower, you're less likely to get demotivated or fatigued with your game. And it would be easier to move the timeframe so it doesn't overlap with anything, like the marathon this time. It's also easier to manage for both participants and administrators.

General Discussion / Re: An Idea for a Fangame
« on: June 01, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
That idea reminds me of the TNT in NANG. It does provide an interesting aspect in speedrunning. I don't know if it gets used in casual playthroughs though. It also reminds me of the glitch levels in Super Meat Boy. Those add a certain sense of mystery to the game. It could be cool to see something like that in a fangame.

If you decide to try this out in a game, i'd be careful of 1. making sure the grind aspect isn't annoying, and 2. making sure it isn't too RNG-dependent for speedrunning. Overall seems like the idea has potential, and trying new things is good!

Wow, those graphics are pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing your next game, and everyone else should be too. Nogard, your thing looks neat as well.

I agree, you did a phenomenal job with Co-op. It's good to keep in mind that, with fangames especially, a lot of feedback never makes its way back to you. So you should keep in mind the big number of people that enjoyed your game but didn't give you feedback personally. Keeping that in mind gives me a lot more satisfaction and motivation to make games. So yeah, great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job great job!

Programming Questions / Re: Starting out on game maker studio
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:20:10 AM »
1. Klazen's tutorial should still work for studio, though you might need to change some object names. I've also bugged Klazen to edit the post now that there's a good studio engine, but oh well.

2. Yoyo's engine is the main engine for studio, and it's good.

3. Make whatever kinda game you wanna make! Though keep in mind, don't make your huge dream game first. Start out by finishing one or two smaller games, then you can go bigger. Good luck making fangames!

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Cultured Save
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
speaking of Cultured, I can't get it to work on Windows 10, does anyone have a fix for this please?  Sorry to answer your question with another question OP.

I just made a post with the recently found windows 10 fix, thanks for the reminder. https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=2308

Gameplay & Discussion / Windows 10 Cultured + GENKI fix
« on: May 15, 2016, 02:54:08 PM »
Recently Brokenpeanut67 found a fix for certain fangames not working on Windows 10.

EDIT: On 9/5/16 I made a simple program to apply this fix to all exes in a folder. Scroll down to that post for more info.

Here's downloads of fixed exes for Cultured and Genki so you don't have to do it yourself (put the exe in the game folder next to the old exe). The steps are listed below for the sake of documentation. Please post if the fix works for any other fangames.

1. Download and install CFF Explorer https://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/SDK-DDK/CFF-Explorer.shtml#download
2. Right-click on the game exe and open with CFF explorer. Click "no" to dialog.
(click to show/hide)
Click "File Header" on the left, "Click here" on the right, check "App can handle 2gb address space", click ok. See the screenshot.
4. Save the exe, and try running it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12