Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12
Bump for my previous post. A favicon would be nice. And I strongly desire the Game Maker help questions to be put in their own group, since they make actual important posts in Game Design impossible to find. Also, I don't want to come across as pestering; I would be willing to put in the work to figure out how to do all this stuff if I had the privileges. Thanks forum team!

A few things:

I wish the website and forums had a favicon. Right now it's sometimes a page, and sometimes the youtube favicon for me. I made this one real quick (C for community):

It would be nice to have some options for color schemes on the forum. This has been suggested several times. I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement, but it would be nice.

I previously suggested that specific Game Maker questions be put in their own sub-board to clean up the Game Design board and help people find useful posts, in this thread. Consider this a bump for that thread.

Thanks! I would also be willing to do this stuff myself if I had the privileges.

Game Design / Re: RNG Rooms possible? - Isaac Style Game
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
The method I posted using ds_lists should work just fine with multiple pools; just create multiple lists and keep track of which one you're using.

Yesterday Night i thought about it some more and i got to the conclusion, that the game might be a bit boring or maybe even too hard.

Brainstorming ideas is a lot of fun, especially when you can't stop thinking about an idea you just had. But, I would caution against making too detailed of plans or design decisions based just on brainstorming before building the first iteration of your game. Getting your hands on it and playing it gives you insight that thought experiments just can't give you. This is mostly true when you're experimenting with new ideas, or a design area that you aren't familiar with (e.g. this room pool idea). It doesn't really apply to design you're very familiar with, since your intuition without having the physical game there is quite good. But yeah, that's my opinion and advice to you. There's no substitute for seeing how the game actually feels. If anyone disagrees or wants to discuss this, please reply!

Game Design / Re: RNG Rooms possible? - Isaac Style Game
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:20:59 PM »
That's a nice idea. I love it when I have an idea and am excited about it, and I enjoy seeing other people feel that way too :)

This is definitely possible to implement in Game Maker, and it shouldn't be that complicated. However, since you say you "suck at coding. Like really bad," this might be too hard a challenge for you right now. But, here's how I might implement this:

At the start of the game, create a ds_list and add to it all the rooms in the pool:
Code: [Select]
pool = ds_list_create()
ds_list_insert(pool,0,room1)
ds_list_insert(pool,0,room1)
etc.
When the player finishes a room, or they just started a new game, pick a random room from the pool, go to that room, and remove it from the pool:
Code: [Select]
var chosenindex, chosenroom;
chosenindex = irandom(ds_list_size(pool))
chosenroom = ds_list_find_value(pool, chosenindex)
ds_list_delete(pool, chosenindex)
room_goto(chosenroom)
And when the player finishes a room, you should also check for the win condition, which could be no more rooms in the pool (ds_list_size(pool) == 0), the player completed X amount of rooms, or whatever other win condition. Also, I think it makes sense for the pool list to be a global variable. So yeah, that's how I might implement this. Good luck with your fangame and Game Maker adventures!

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: May 19, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
Like everyone else, I'm happy this is a thing, and I'm excited to use GM:S for making fangames! Great job on the engine! Here's a list of a bunch of my suggested changes / ideas, most of which are minor.

• I think it would be nice to include the block mask sprite from Lemon(?)'s engine, which I much prefer than the X, as an option to use instead of the X. While we're at it, we may as well include bordered and borderless versions of both the X and square sprite, since I think I would prefer to use the bordered one and just not stretch any blocks. https://imgur.com/a/kQ71c
  • Thanks Seph for adding some editor-only icons like I asked. I have some new ones here, you don't have to use them https://imgur.com/a/XytHG
  • For editor-only sprites like above, I like to put them in a folder called "editor," especially if there are a lot of them. It's better than having them scattered about.
  • In the menu (great job with that) where it says [Z] back and [Shift] accept, these texts don't change if you change your controls for jump or shoot.
  • I think it would be nice to include the classic "red orb" game icon, just packaged along with the engine, in case people want to use it; the gm:s icon could still be default. (ilvpag suggested this as well)
  • Have a short help file (ideally translated in multiple languages) explaining how to create a standalone executable instead of an installer, since we don't want no installers on the wiki. It might also be nice to have a short list of tips to help people transition from from GM8 fangame engines to the GMS engine. (ilvpag suggested this as well)
  • Not sure about this, but what about miniblocks and minispikes being there? I vaguely remember there being an issue with spikes and miniblocks by default, and including them with the fix in the engine might be nice.
  • Would be nice to have a saveblocker object by default. Here's an icon: https://imgur.com/Tze8Q4X
  • Here's a fix for the blood getting stuck midair on block corners (like this https://prntscr.com/775f3a): https://prntscr.com/775e6m
  • I think it might look nicer if the blood was in front of the spikes. This is the way most fangames do it iirc.
Bigger ideas

• I wonder if it would be better to only have one difficulty by default, but with an option to enable the difficulty select menu. I personally think the trend of having only one difficulty is a good one, and having new fangame makers start with that by default would be nice. Thoughts?
  • I wonder if there could be a pause menu system just like now most normal non-fangames have, instead of the game closing when pressing escape. I think having this in by default might be nice. However, this would be inconsistent with how all other fangames have worked, which would be confusing. Thoughts?
  • A localization system might be really great! Scripts for localizing both text and sprites would make it easy for people to localize their games. Here's a script I made for the piecewise collab compilation game: https://prntscr.com/774wlf A script for strings would be the same format (cause GM:S supports unicode!! yay!). Note you could swap the order of the switch statements, i.e. the first one is sprite and the nested one is language. One ordering makes it easy to add new languages, one makes it easier to add new sprites (probably better for a base engine like this one). There could be an option in the options menu to switch languages. I think this is a good idea; thoughts?

EDITS:

• It would be nice to have an auto-spike-rotate script, like Nikaple's engine has, along with a sample sprite and objects to show how it works. https://pastebin.com/H507Vdwr ----- https://prntscr.com/777l1c
  • Maybe it would be nice to include good scrolling camera that follows the player?

A few things:

I wish the website and forums had a favicon. Right now it's sometimes a page, and sometimes the youtube favicon for me. I made this one real quick (C for community):

It would be nice to have some options for color schemes on the forum. This has been suggested several times. I don't know how easy or hard it is to implement, but it would be nice.

I previously suggested that specific Game Maker questions be put in their own sub-board to clean up the Game Design board and help people find useful posts, in this thread. Consider this a bump for that thread.

Thanks! I would also be willing to do this stuff myself if I had the privileges.

Tournaments / Re: WFC: Week 22 04.05.2015 - 10.05.2015
« on: May 09, 2015, 01:56:36 AM »
Had a lot of fun streaming these and other games this week. Feels nice actually playing fangames and not just making them and watching streams :)

Rainbow Feather
(click to show/hide)

Impress
(click to show/hide)

The Game Design board is mostly filled with "How do I do X in Game Maker for my fangame" questions, which are perfectly fine threads, but I don't believe "Game Design" is a good description for them. Threads like this and this are actually about fangame design stuff, and I think people would like to be able to see these threads without sifting through unintresting, only-useful-to-1-person GM help threads.

There could be a child board for GM questions under Game Design, or another main board under Fangames on the main page. The board could be called "Game Maker / Programming Help" or something similar. Thanks for your consideration forum team! :D

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hey there everyone!
« on: April 16, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »
Hey, welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy exploring the world of I wanna games! :)

Meet and Greet! / Re: Yet Another Introduction
« on: April 16, 2015, 01:58:35 AM »
Welcome to the forums! Computer science represent \o/

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Searching for fangames
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:46:53 PM »
The second save in Crimson Needle floor 54, one or two screens in I wanna kill the Kermit (at least in the last version I've seen) in the black and white area. Those are the only sections in games I can think of composed of 100% mini spikes, besides NANG and See the Moon. It was entertaining trying to think of these.

I've been kicking around these ideas in my head for quite a while, and I recently felt motivated to put together a working version, and for a few days work I think it turned out pretty nice. I also had fun making it. Note this is very WIP, just a kind of test / proof of concept.

About the approach I used: I thought a good goal would be to generate unique, random spike jumps, with their design being completely emergent rather than explicit (e.g. no part of any jump is hand-crafted). As a consequence of this, it's hard to regulate difficulty and possibility of the levels, in fact they're mostly impossible, so I thought to make the player have multiple hitpoints to compensate. So, basically you try to get as far as you can until you run out of hitpoints, and try to get a high score, based on how far you get. Ideally, every generated level feels fresh, and you often come across interesting jumps. And the better you are, the more difficult jumps and routes you can attempt to clear, losing as few hitpoints as possible in situations.

I also added another small layer over all this: instead of pure distance determining your score, each spike you touch (that costs you a hitpoint) has a numerical value, and your score is the total of all the spikes you touched during the round. Spikes get gradually more valuable as the level progresses, so you still want to get as far as you can. But now, you have to factor in which spikes are more valuable than others when planning your jumps, which I think is a nice strategy layer. It also fits well thematically, with the metals getting rarer as you explore further in the cave, and since you're a lavakid you kind of absorb them into yourself. I got a little carried away with graphics, but I'm happy to be able to show what I had in mind thematically.

I think there's potential with this kind of approach for procedurally generated I wanna levels. Right now I'm focusing on brainstorming ways to normalize the difficulty both between generated levels and within each level. This is difficult because the way I see it, completely emergent spike jumps are completely at odds with regulating difficulty. Also, there's potential with aligning blocks and spikes to the 16x16 grid, as well as minispikes, water, and other things; I'm keeping it simple to start out. Please share your thoughts about my work so far, and any ideas you've come up with about procedural generation! :)

Below are screenshots and download links for the game and source code. If you're interested, I encourage you to poke around in the code! It's not too well commented; feel free to add me on Skype - patrickgh3 if you want me to explain stuff or you wanna chat about any part of this project. I also encourage you to hack away on the project if you feel motivated to. Thanks for reading! :)

Download Link

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Re: Collaboration Idea
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »
Alright, I'm glad some of you guys think it's an interesting idea. I'm excited to give this a try one of these days, over just a 2 hour time-span or so. Whoever's interested in giving this a shot, add me on Skype (username: patrickgh3) and hopefully we can get a group of 4 going over the next few days! Also, for those who might be interested but don't think it's worth your time or something, it's just 2 hours so it's not a big loss. We could even go for just 1 hour or so.

Also, Inferno, I usually do things in that order too, I just thought music first would be best for this. It might be fun to try out different orders, or maybe even silly stuff like jump refresher placement -> block placement -> spike placement.

Also, anyone, feel free to add me on Skype if you just wanna chat. :)

Edit: I'll also try to hang around in the teamspeak tomorrow.

Game Design / Collaboration Idea
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:56 AM »
During a long bus ride the other week, I was pondering ideas for ways I wanna game creators could collaborate or some kind of community event. I was inspired by Experiment 12, a project where 12 talented independent game developers each created games in 72 hours as chapters in a sequential story. The chapters all have distinct styles, and there's an overarching narrative through all of them, which is a really unique experience that I enjoyed a lot, as well as being enjoyable for the developers to make. I was trying to brainstorm ideas like this, that would be unique, worthwhile, and inspirational, for both players and creators of the project.

Here's what I came up with: "piecewise" deveopment, where multiple people handle individual aspects of the same room / screen, but only work on them sequentially. Once you finish your part, you hand it off to the next person, who does their part and hands it off, etc, until it's finished. The order I was thinking of was: One person selects a music track, the next person creates graphics / tileset, the next person does static level design (no moving parts), and the last person does scripting, anything from moving spikes to graphical effects to whatever. No communication of ideas, thematic direction, etc may be communicated between developers; you only see what's been done so far. When the game is finished, you get to see what the scripter did with your level design, how the graphics were inspired by your music choice, etc. And you also see how cohesive and quality the game is as a whole: it might be amazing, so-so, bad, hilarious, strange, etc!

If each of 4 people do all 4 components (music, graphics, level design, and scripting) once, then you can make 4 whole games / screens, as shown here.

(click to show/hide)

Detail ideas: I was envisioning groups communicating over Skype or another chat service to send project files, chat, etc. And the group would set hard deadlines by which each step needs to be completed, which might be one day for each part, or maybe one hour, depending on what the group wants. I also think it would be fun if the final 4 resulting screens were compiled into one game, with some kind of in-game display of who did what for each screen. Also, I was thinking groups of friends would do this, but also groups of people who don't know each other, and can trust everyone is of similar level of competence. I'd like to try this both with people I know and people I don't! It's pretty low investment / barrier to entry for a group to do this, and it might encourage some people to try out experimental ideas in a low-risk environment, collaborate with others, or even take a stab at making a game for the first time.

I hope this makes sense to you all despite my awkward working and explanation. I'm excited by this idea, both to be in a group myself and to see what other groups create! :) Do you have ideas for improvements, see any flaws, have any ideas or thoughts about this "piecewise" jam idea?

I'm working on a one-screen game, and I had made a bunch of individual save segments in RMJ, but had yet to fit and connect them all together into one screen. After having trouble doing it in my head, I decided to just draw out all the segments on graph paper, cut each one out, and physically rearrange them. It turned out to be effective! It was also pretty fun, and I was very entertained by the concept, so I figured I would share. :)

(click to show/hide)

Programming Questions / Re: help with traps
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
To address the issue you seem to be having with paths, I suggest you read the documentation on them. To find documentation on any topic in GM, either go to Help -> Contents in GM itself and search for it there, or just do a web search for it and look at links from docs.yoyogames.com. This page I found by searching "game maker path start." I think the path_start function on that page is what you're looking for. Learning how to effectively read documentation and web search is a good skill to have! :) I've also reattached the project I made, converted to GM 8.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12