Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Tools & Software / Re: Twitch Title Helper
« on: December 12, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
Just uploaded another new version. There's now an option to toggle on/off remembering the last title you used for a game. And the window now flashes when a game is opened, so you don't forget to click "ok".

Sorry for the minor spam. This *should* be the final version.

« on: December 11, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
Just uploaded a new version that fixes an issue with saving preferred game titles. I had broken it with a last-minute change. You'll need to delete your preferred_names file.

« on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:36 PM »
Seph: Thanks!

Wolsk: I haven't tested it extensively, though in the dozen or so times I tried it I didn't notice it fail to set the title.

Kyir: You tell the tool the location of your root fangame folder. The tool then listens for any new processes started that originate from somewhere within that folder, and assumes they're fangames.

Tools & Software / Twitch Title Helper
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »
I made a tool that automatically sets your stream title whenever you open a fangame. This should be useful for streamers who like having the game name in their title. You don't have to remember to tab over to your dashboard and type in the name every time you switch games; just click a button. Thanks to Sudnep for the idea and for giving feedback. More info is in the readme. Enjoy! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download - v1.2

(click to show/hide)

Video Games / Re: Devilian Wannabe Guild
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:45:10 PM »
I just played for a few hours today. I'm enjoying the game so far! I'm currently a level 13 evoker, and my name is "Patwick" if you guys wanna add me.

Tools & Software / Re: Jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »
Just released an update, 1.1.0, which contains a lot of UI fixes and tweaks. The download link is in the original post, which I also rewrote. Enjoy! :)

Here's the change log:
(click to show/hide)

Tools & Software / Re: Fangame Skins...?
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:39:28 PM »
Don't ask me! I know pretty much nothing about the internals of GameMaker. Interesting idea though Ario.

This does remind me of an idea I had a while ago to add multiplayer functionality to all GM8 fangames. You could decompile the exe, use gmksplit to split it into xml files, modify the project to add multiplayer functionality (most engines use a player object called "player"), use gmksplit to re-form the project, then re-compile it into an exe. I imagine everything but that last step could be automated.

It's possible you could make a program similar to the idea above to modify the player sprite of a game. Though it's possible that would be much harder than it seems, or might not work for some reason. I haven't tried it. Just figured I'd share that idea.

Tools & Software / Re: map2gm - Needle map to GM converter
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
Major update to this tool. It now supports exporting to GameMaker 8.x projects, and importing Jtool maps! :) More stuff in the change log. I also re-wrote the original post.

Programming Questions / Re: Looping Actions?
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
Here's a snippet of a basic cannon using alarms: https://klazen.com/gm/QVK

Let me also tell you what's wrong with the code you posted. By default, all alarms start out at 0. Alarms will only trigger if you set them to a value above 0, and then they count down back to 0 later. So, setting alarm[0] to 0 does nothing; the alarm event will never trigger! If you want the alarm to trigger immediately, you can set it to 1.

In your alarm 0 event, you set alarm[1] to 25 three times over, which is unnecessary. The alarm will only trigger once, not three times; that's just how alarms work.

In regards to what Kyir said about emulating alarms yourself, I think which method you use depends on personal preference and context. In one-off objects like this cannon I might prefer to use alarms to keep things simple. In more complex objects, I might prefer to do it manually.

Game Design / Translators
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
Hi everyone, I figured it might be nice to have a thread for people in this community to post if they are able and willing to translate games / tools / other from English to another language. And I guess you can also post if you have a project you would like translated.

Right now I'm looking for someone who is able and would be interested in translating the text in jtool from English to Japanese. Possibly other languages might be nice as well, but Japanese is my first priority because of the relative size of the Japanese community.

Engines / Re: Barebones Studio Project (based on Yoyo's engine)
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
Released a new version with a bunch of minor changes. I also re-wrote the original post.

Tools & Software / Autotiler Tool
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
I made a tool that automates the placing bordered tiles in the GM room editor, which can be a tedious process. The tool modifies the room file itself, so you can still edit the room once the tool does its work. More info is in the readme. I hope people find this tool useful! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download

Note: This tool is for GM:Studio only. I might one day add 8.x support. For the reason why, open this spoiler tag.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Programming Questions / Re: Ice Physics...
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:15:57 PM »
Ah, I'm assuming you started with the KS engine. I started with Yoyo's engine, which includes the yuuutu slip block logic, which I slightly modified. Here's a modified version of the code you just provided. It would have been nice to have your player step code from the start, now that I think about it.
Code: [Select]
///Movement and Controls
var L,R,h;

// Check if pressing left/right || 左右のキー入力のチェック
L = keyboard_check_direct(global.leftbutton);
R = keyboard_check_direct(global.rightbutton);

// If pressing right, go right || 右ボタンを押していれば右
// If not pressing right, and pressing left, go left || 右ボタンを押していない状態で左ボタンを押していれば左
h = R;
if (h == 0) h = -L;
// If frozen, don't move || frozenに値が入っていれば行動禁止
if (frozen == true) h = 0;

// PATRICK CHANGE - set slipping and slipval
var slipBlockTouching = instance_place(x,y+4*global.grav,oSlipBlock)
var blockTouching = instance_place(x,y+4*global.grav,block)
if slipBlockTouching != noone {
    slipping = true
    slipval = slipBlockTouching.slip
}
if (blockTouching != noone) and (slipBlockTouching == noone) {
    slipping = false
}

// If we're moving || 左右の移動
if (h != 0) {
    // PATRICK CHANGE - do either normal or slippery movement
    if not slipping {
        // Set speed based on direction and maxSpeed || 走っている状態にする
        hspeed = maxSpeed*h;
    }
    else {
        if (h == 1 and hspeed < maxSpeed) or (h == -1 and hspeed > -maxSpeed) {
            hspeed += slipval * h
        }
    }
    // 画像の左右を指定(負が入ると画像が左右反転する)
    //flip=(image_xscale!=h);
    xScale = h;
    //image_xscale = h;

// Set the sprite to the running sprite || 走っている画像に変更
    sprite_index = sprPlayerRunning;
    image_speed = 0.5;
} else {
    // PATRICK CHANGE - do either normal or slippery stopping
    if not slipping {
        // Set speed to zero || 直立状態にする
        hspeed = 0;
    }
    else {
        if hspeed > 0 {
            hspeed -= slipval
            if hspeed <= 0 hspeed = 0
        }
        else if hspeed < 0 {
            hspeed += slipval
            if hspeed >= 0 hspeed = 0
        }
    }
    // Set the sprite to the idle sprite || 直立画像に変更
    sprite_index = sprPlayerIdle;
    image_speed = 0.2;
}

if (!onPlatform) {
    // Set the sprite to jumping/falling if we're moving vertically and were not on a platform || ジャンプ・落下画像に変更
    if (vspeed < -0.05) {
        sprite_index = sprPlayerJump;
    }
    if (vspeed > 0.05) {
        sprite_index = sprPlayerFall;
    }
} else { // If we were on a platform, but we're not anymore, then set onPlatform to false || 動く台に乗ってる状態から解除された瞬間
    if (place_meeting(x,y+4,platform) == false) {
        onPlatform = 0;
    }
}

// Limit vspeed || vspeedが最大値を超えたら、最大値に固定
if (vspeed > maxVspeed) {
    vspeed = maxVspeed;
}

// If not frozen || frozenに値が入っていない(行動可能)
if (!frozen) {
    // Shoot || プレイヤーの攻撃
    if (keyboard_check_pressed(global.shotbutton)) {
        playerShoot();
    }
    // Jump || ジャンプ(押した)
    if (keyboard_check_pressed(global.jumpbutton)) {
        playerJump();
    }
    // Jump Release || ジャンプ(離した)
    if (keyboard_check_released(global.jumpbutton)) {
        playerVJump();
    }
}

The object oSlipBlock should be solid and have block as its parent. it should also have the variable "slip" set in its create event; the default value in yuuutu is 0.2.

Also, in the create event of the player, you should define these variables:
Code: [Select]
slipping = false
slipval = 0

You should look through the player step code and find all the comments where I changed something, and get the gist of how it works. You might have to modify it a little, I'm not sure.

EDIT: here's the gist of how my changes work:
1. In the player object, keep track of a variable called "slipping", which keeps track of whether the player should currently be slipping or not. To do this, we set it to true if we detect we're standing on a slippery block, and false if we're standing on a normal block. This way it remembers the state until we next touch a ground. This is the first code block I added towards the top.

2. Modify the player horizontal movement and stopping behavior to each have alternate slipping behaviors. I added if statements depending on the slipping variable, and copied the slip behaviors from the yuuutu engine. These are the second and third code blocks I modified.

3. Also keep track of a variable called "slipval", which keeps track of the "slip" variable of the last slippery block the player touched. The yuuutu slippery block behavior didn't need this because the player could just re-check the slip value of the block it was standing on, but since we're in the air sometimes we need to keep track of it. This explanation isn't the clearest, but I hope it helps a little.

Programming Questions / Re: Ice Physics...
« on: November 15, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
Hey, I implemented this real quick. The gist of it is I kept a state variable in the player called "slipping", which keeps track of if a player jumped off an ice block or not. I started off with my barebones project, and I marked my changes to the player's step event with comments starting with // PATRICK. Let me know if you have any questions I guess. :)

The Lounge / Re: Blind RMJ Maps - Round 9
« on: November 01, 2015, 04:25:25 PM »
I took a crack at it. Now there's two whole entries. It was a bit frustrating making the kid not overlap the path I had already made for him. I had to make him run into a bunch of walls, sort of disguised as getting aligns.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12