Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Hi Plasma. There are multiple ways to do this.

Strategy 1: Create a new trigger object objTriggerChangeBg, this will be competely seperate from all the other trigger systems in the game. Set the sprite to sprTriggerMask, set visible to unchecked, and click Add Event -> Collision -> objPlayer. Drag "execute a piece of code" into the actions list. The code will be
Code: [Select]
background_index = bgIndex;
instance_destroy();
Place the object in the room, right click -> Creation code and assign bgIndex. (bgIndex = bgReallyCoolBackground;)

Strategy 2: Use the existing trigger system. Create an object objEffectChangeBg, with no sprite. Click Add Event -> Step, drag "execute a piece of code" into the actions list. The code will be
Code: [Select]
if (global.trigger[trg]) {
    background_index = bgIndex;
    instance_destroy();
}
Place the object in the room, right click -> Creation code and assign trg and bgIndex. (trg = 5; bgIndex = bgReallyCoolBackground;) Also add an objFreeTrigger in your room and assign trg to be matching.

Help, Suggestions & Feedback / Re: Discord
« on: December 08, 2016, 02:02:54 AM »
To future viewers of this thread (since this thread shows up in search results for "discord"), for a Discord invite link check https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=2015.msg14678#msg14678

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS*
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:21:16 AM »
Is the google doc in the results video description what you want? httpss://docs.google.com/document/d/1RAkeBH4AQArvA-lFbilsruVnvndJ0GCy7Ivc_jvCAd0/edit?pageId=107747205418855740374

Edit: Ninja'd

Tools & Software / Re: Need help porting
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:45:55 PM »
Hi SGTWaffle, I have some questions. I'm assuming you've purchased a few GM Studio export modules, is that correct? If so, that's a generous offer to share, so thanks. And also if that's true, which modules do you have?

I also don't know much about how easy or hard it is to compile a studio fangame for other platforms. I imagine there would be issues that would have to be resolved. Do you or anyone else happen to know?

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 25, 2016, 06:48:03 PM »
This is a reality check for me. Over the past month or two I subconsciously built up this entitlement and expectation of praise, maybe because I got too emotionally invested in Spook jam, and maybe other reasons too. My motivation for making fangames shifted to something wrong and unhealthy. I've been reconciling my feelings based on what you guys said, and I hope to be out of this funk and have a better attitude toward things soon. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses, they are all really helpful to me. (The thread is still open)

Gameplay & Discussion / Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
Recently I have been doing some thinking about the various dynamics of making fangames in our community. Sometimes I get discouraged when I think about this stuff. I think this discouragement comes from neither me personally nor the community having clear answers to these questions. These are like murky waters in my mind I would like to try and clear up.

• How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?
  • Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?
  • How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?
  • What is the right balance of encouraging quality fangames while not scaring off potentially good creators?
  • To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)
  • Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?
  • To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?
  • To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?

I want to hear what everyone thinks about these kind of topics.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:42:47 PM »
Just now today Starz0r asked the IWC discord what Delfruit features they'd like to see. I compiled a list for convenience! I also want to reiterate on behalf of everyone, thank you Klazen and TJ for making and dealing with Delfruit. Hear our humble suggestions o wise ones.

Starz0r: What would features would @everyone want to see on Delicious Fruit?

Forum integration: Delfruit and forum profiles would be linked.

Recommendations system: Each fangame page would suggest fangames of similar tags, difficulty, and possibly rating.

Curated lists: 10 users with most reviews have their reviews list sorted by rating publicly facing somehow as a recommended list.

Badges: To incentivize reviewing. Many other ideas like streaks (1 review a week), participating in community events (spook jam). Seriously I think this would make many people actually contribute to the site.

Fangame of the day: On the homepage, show a fangame (name, 1 screenshot, clickable) that's automatically randomly picked every 24hrs with possibly a 7+ rating threshold.
Can show people fangames they would like but never seen before if they catch their eye.

Follow authors: Make a list of author names and you get notified somehow whenever one releases a new game.

New reviews on my game: Somehow see only reviews on your games (any games?) that you haven't read before.

Donate button

Sort by date added: Sort games somehow by date added (more fine tuned than date range in advanced search).

Negate tags: Advanced search for games WITHOUT certain tags.

Search by number of ratings as an official parameter in advanced search.

Viewing your own bookmarks list shows average ratings/difficulty instead of your own, since you likely haven't played them yet. Maybe show both?

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Spook Jam Release
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »
Version 1.2 is released and it will be the final version as far as I can foresee. Download link is the same.

User-Made Creations / I Wanna Spook Jam Release
« on: October 31, 2016, 04:39:06 AM »

Download: https://cwpat.me/i-wanna-spook-jam-download

Please do not post bugs, balance issues, or other issues in the thread. Contact me directly with those. (twitch.tv/patrickgh3, Discord: Patrick#0303)

I'm very happy this game is released. I'll update this post with more text later. Read the readme.txt!

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Re: I Wanna Spook Jam Contest + Collab (8/14 - 9/30)
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:39:43 AM »
Spook Jam teaser video by HopPros. Release date is halloween!

(click to show/hide)
That looks awesome! It makes me feel bad about my fangames :c
(click to show/hide)

That room looks fun. I hope you don't get too down comparing your work to others' work. I try to remember that everyone is on a different level of experience and has different strengths and weaknesses, so I don't unfairly compare myself to others and I can take inspiration from people who are better than me, e.g. "one day maybe I could do that."

Game Design / Re: I Wanna Spook Jam Contest + Collab (8/14 - 9/30)
« on: October 06, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »
Just another update for everyone, it's been a week since the deadline, and there are tons of great submissions! We're gonna keep the number of stages and who made them somewhat of a secret. We're finishing up rating each other's stages, and we're working on resolving balance issues that came up. I'm going to have a lot to say in the postmortem writeup, haha, but overall things are going alright.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Cultured 2 Copyright Claim Damage Report
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
That's got to be annoying. I just want to say thanks for making all the cultured 2 videos, they're very high quality and useful to have.

Announcements / Re: The Wannabes auto hosting discussion
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »
Autohosting seems cool, and TJ says there's no downsides, so let's try it out. And I also like the idea of trimming down / sprucing up the team at this time.

I like TJ's idea of booting a lot of people for inactivity, and then re-accepting applications immediately if they become active again. I don't know where the cutoff should be. Haven't streamed in 1 month, 2 months, maybe even 3 weeks? Right now it's been almost a month since I personally last streamed and I would be fine with being taken off knowing the re-add if active policy.

I don't think language should be a requirement. Having good streamers of other languages on the team can only help attract more people interested in fangames. See Ony's post!

I dislike follower alerts as much as the next guy, but the only person on the team I know off the top of my head that has them is Wolsk, and I don't mind them there. I'd say don't make it a requirement until in the future we have a problem with it.

Another note, I'd like it if the team page got some new graphics. Maybe we can get ToylineAssembly or someone to make some stuff.

Tools & Software / Re: Jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: September 26, 2016, 02:32:45 PM »
uhhhh it doesn't startup

error:
(click to show/hide)

For this error, try using version 1.2.0, which was compiled on windows 7 and that makes a difference somehow.

1.2.1 and 1.2.3 were compiled on windows 10. I don't plan on compiling 1.2.3 on windows 7 because i don't have any computer with it installed, so if someone else wants to do that go ahead.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12