Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: November 01, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
fontSetup - Shortcut for typing out several draw_set_somethings

oscillate - Modular script for making objects bob up and down, and similar effects

The Lounge / Re: Level Design Experiment
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »
I agree with everyone else: interesting idea, and I think it could have potential on a more open and less limiting map. You or someone else maybe should post a new map either in a new thread or this thread.

I came up with a gimmick inspired by the corridors. Spikes are invisible, and your bullets illuminate where they are, so you kind of explore cautiously through the level. I know making a gimmick probably wasn't the intention, and graphics probably weren't either, but I just got carried away. :)

Game download on Mediafire

(click to show/hide)

Engines / Barebones Studio Project (based on Yoyo's engine)
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:35 AM »
This is a GameMaker: Studio project that contains only the bare bones features of a fangame engine. It can be useful for technical projects or prototypes where you don't want stuff like a title screen, save files, and a bunch of global state managing getting in your way.

The project is heavily based on Yoyo's engine. All I did was tear stuff out and format stuff to my liking, so most of the credit goes to him. Additionally, I'll probably keep this more or less up to date with major changes to his engine. I hope others find this barebones project as useful as I have! :)

Features:
- Player behavior (walking, jumping, shooting, dying, restarting)
- Common platforming behaviors (vines, flipped gravity, water, etc)
- Simple save scripts (both saving internally and to file)
- Standard graphics
- Player sounds
- That's it

(click to show/hide)

Download - 1.1

(click to show/hide)

Tools & Software / Re: jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:16 PM »
Thank you Derf, Kady, and everyone else who's given me kind words. It means a lot.

As for custom player sprites, I don't think I'm gonna implement them in an official release. If you want, you can edit the source and use your custom player sprite. Features like this, although neat, would clutter up the UI and make the tool feel bloated. However, I do have a lot of these kind of features on my radar, so small features like this are not out of the question.

EDIT: I just realized that it would be relatively easy to just tack on custom player sprites to a skin. I may or may not do this.

Tools & Software / Re: Jtool (a new RMJ)
« on: October 15, 2015, 04:49:16 AM »
[Responded to an older version of JGB's post. JGB and I have since talked it out.]

Thank you guys for your kind comments. Interesting point Kyir. I'm really happy hearing in various places that people like the tool. However, JGB, your comments about Kyir's quotes really belong in their own thread as they're not about the tool I made. I really don't want this thread to be derailed with off-topic heated arguments.

Just a friendly reminder. If you want to talk more about this, please don't post in this thread; maybe you can start a discussion thread. No comment on whether or not I agree with your opinions or anything like that. Let's stay on topic. I'm glad you like the tool JGB :) It was definitely worth the effort making it.

Tools & Software / Jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:21 AM »
Download and information have moved to
httpss://github.com/patrickgh3/jtool#jtool

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Useful Tools and Websites for making fangames
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:45:08 AM »
I hope this list is useful to newcomers and veterans alike. :)
Modified 5/31/16.

Graphics:
Spriters Resource: Graphics ripped from various commercial games. Find animated sprites, tilesets, and more here!
Paint.NET: A nice all-around editor for Windows. Less powerful but much more user-friendly than GIMP.
Aseprite: Great pixel art-focused editor with a palette and animation frames. Great for making tilesets and sprites from scratch.
See also: Pixel Prospector's list of tools and royalty-free graphics

Sounds and Music:
Sounds Resource: Sounds ripped from various commercial games.
Freesound: A bunch of real-world sounds people have recorded.
Audacity: All-purpose audio editing tool. Useful for changing music volumes and tweaking sounds, and converting between formats.
There are lots of ways to obtain music: youtube downloader sites, video game remix sites, soundcloud, and many more you can find through googling.
See also: Video Game Caster's list of royalty-free music and sounds

Other:
Jtool and RMJ: Useful for testing out jumps without having to compile your whole game, and also for designing entire needle screens.
map2gm: Eliminates having to copy objects over manually into Gamemaker if you use RMJ or Jtool to make needle screens.
Crystalline: An essential tool for working with Gamemaker particles. Particles are a great way to add flair to your game!
See also: the tools board has a few more fangame-specific tools.

Thanks Inferno.

Thanks Den for adding the Game Maker Questions child board. Looking through the old posts in Game Design, about 75% or more of them belong in the new board. I would really like if they were moved to the appropriate board, since I think the questions about actual game design, which are actually useful for people that aren't the OP to read, are being hidden. I think these old threads are valuable to read, and newcomers who weren't around when the threads were created might be interested in re-starting the discussion. This might come across as me being nitpicky but I really think it would help.

I'm totally willing to put in the work to select which threads should be moved, since I can imagine it would take a little time. I could make a list of threads that I would move if that helps. Thanks! :)

Game Design / Re: Tutorial: Getting Started With Fangame Development
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »
The reason not to use GMS is that the engine isn't complete, so the physics still have some issues.
I've been wanting to start on a fangame, but I won't until the Studio engine is improved.

I haven't seen any complaints on the physics since the last big patch on them. Do you know of a specific problem with it?

I think walljump vines are the biggest thing that's missing. It's nice to have those, and I can understand wanting other miscellaneous stuff like gravity flippers and ladders. However, I recommend using Studio even if the current version of the KS engine is missing some features or has some minor physics inconsistencies, because _you can always add and fix that stuff later_. If a new version of the engine is released, with physics improvements or vines or whatever, you can update your game accordingly very easily.

Another plus I would like to add to Derf's list for Studio is the project structure is a lot more friendly. This breaks down into a bunch of small benefits that add up. Reusing resources from other projects is simpler than how it worked in 8.1 with resource files. Tools like my RMJ room importer are much easier to make for Studio, so you can use that tool and expect other fangame tools to be made. You can also use source control much more easily, though I don't expect most to use it for fangame development, it's a nice option to know about if you're considering making non-fangames in Game Maker.

Overall, Studio adds new features and fixes annoyances in 8.1. It's the future; there will only be more support for Studio and less support for 8.1 from now on, in terms of both general use and specifically for fangames.

Programming Questions / Re: Globals restarting?
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:47:29 PM »
I said pretty much the same thing as Derf in this thread, which is essentially the same issue. https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1823.0

Programming Questions / Re: Resetting Issues
« on: August 12, 2015, 06:02:44 PM »
The way restarting (pressing R ) in yuuutu works is kinda wonky. First a file called 'temp' is saved containing the save file number: 1,2, or 3. Then game_restart() is called, which restarts the game as if you closed it and reopened it. Upon startup, the game the notices the temp file, deletes it, then loads the save data from the save file it indicated by going to the correct room and spawning the player in the correct place.

So, if you want effects to persist when you press R in default yuuutu, you have 2 options the way I see it. First, you could save those effects in a save file to be loaded again when the game restarts, but that's pretty painful and inefficient. The second is to alter the process above so that game_restart() is not called, and your effects can persist. Other engines like Seph's do it this way (not using game_restart()) and it's just simpler.

So, you could either examine Seph's engine (or similar) and modify your current project to use that style of saving and loading, or you could start fresh from a copy of Seph's engine (or similar, KS!) and import your resources from your project into that. It's up to you; if you're not that comfortable with scripting in GML I would suggest the second method. I can help you with both; it might be easiest to do it through Skype, idk.

Once you have a loading process that doesn't use game_restart, to have effects persist when you press R, either save values in global variables or mark objects as Persistent, which means even when you change rooms the objects remain present with all their values. Hope this helps!

So, for the past few months, a group of fangame creators and I have been making mini platforming stages and bosses through a process where we finish each other's work. I've been compiling the results into one huge game, and it's finally getting close to being done. ETA is probably a month or less, so get ready! The first picture is of the hub area, and the second is of one of the stages.

(click to show/hide)

Off Topic / Re: what's the origin of your username?
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:47:42 AM »
In seventh grade my friends pestered me to get an AIM account. I came up with patrickgh3 in a rush since they were staring over my shoulder. Patrick is my first name, and gh3 stands for the game Guitar Hero 3 which I liked at that time. I wish I had come up with something better and that didn't use my first name, but oh well. I kept procrastinating on thinking up a new name and now here we are.

Tools & Software / map2gm - Needle map to GM converter
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:25 PM »
I made a tool that automates copying over the objects in RMJ and Jtool maps into GameMaker after you've finalized the design, which can be a tedious process. This should be useful for importing needle screens into your games. More info is in the readme. I've added GM 8.x and jtool map support since the initial release. I hope people find this tool useful; I put a lot of effort into it! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download - 2.2

(click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12