Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Tools & Software / Re: Jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: March 31, 2017, 12:54:58 AM »
I know I've said multiple times I'm not really interested in updating Jtool, but today I spent a few hours and fixed a few bugs and added a few simple features for a version 1.2.4. Download is in the original post. Here's the change log:

Automatic backups every 5 minutes in case of crashes (can be disabled)
Prompt on close if unsaved work (exPatchWindowClose extension)
Misc bugfixes
Change skin button can go backwards
Shift all objects buttons
Ability to disable update check
Add skin library to About

Game Design / Fangame coding video tutorials
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
I thought some video tutorials would be helpful to people in our community who want to get started with coding for fangames but don't know where to start. Be sure to read the video descriptions. Please give me feedback on them, so I can improve for possible future videos, if I make any more. :) I'm Patrick#0303 on Discord.

Boss Phase (49:48) - Making a simple shooty boss. States, iframes, draw event, plus other misc stuff.
Small examples (23:08) - Random functions, loops, timers, lengthdir functions, scripts, plus other misc stuff.
Avoidance basics (23:11) - Set up avoidance music, useful timing features, very basic attack examples

Handy dandy link to Klazen's tutorial: https://klazen.com/IWBTG/tutorial/dev_tutorial.html

Engines / IWBT Fusion 2.5 Engine Patrickgh3 Edition
« on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
I ported the standard physics to Clickteam Fusion 2.5 for MattinJ's game, I wanna be the Overlord, since he started with Zly's Engine but needed accurate physics. I since touched up the project and added save files, music, etc. Hopefully a few people who already use Fusion will see this and give making fangames a shot! :)

Features:
- Accurate physics
- Multiple save files
- Non-restarting music system
- Gravity arrows, vines, horizontal platforms
- Death and time in saves

v0.2 Download

Playable exe if you want to check it out

The Lounge / Re: Logo Contest For My Weekly Series - THE RESULTS!!!
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
There were a lot of nice entries, good job everyone! Also a quote from Aronax from Discord: "Forgot to add although Wolfi won, all the other logo's will be used a while after the winners one to make sure everyones logo's get seen, plus they are all awesome so why not!"

Tournaments / Re: Fangame Marathon 2017 Megathread
« on: March 16, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »
Just to reiterate, TJ's post about everything being acceptable to submit applies to special events too. Shadows is running these 3 cool events again this year, but we're always welcome to more if people have ideas and want to make them happen.

Tournaments / Fangame Marathon 2017 Megathread
« on: March 05, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Hi everyone! It’s about time to start preparing for FM 2017! This post has information about general plans and how we’re going to organize things this year. I’m really excited for another Fangame Marathon, and I hope you all are too! Also, thanks for your quick responses to the date thread.

I. General info

Fangame Marathon 2017 will be held June 16th - 18th, starting at around 12:00 PM EDT Friday, and ending around 12:00 PM EDT Sunday. (EDT is UTC-4)

A few of us decided it’s best to “rebrand” and use the acronym FM instead of FGM. This is because the old acronym turned up very unsavory things when newcomers Googled it (don’t do it yourself, seriously not worth it). So let’s all try to use FM from now on.

The FM Discord will be where we discuss and plan the marathon, so please join here if you’re interested in helping out: httpss://discord.gg/AtrNMT7. Please stay on-topic about the marathon at all times, and avoid excessive jokes/memes, since there will be a lot of people in there.

I sort of took the initiative to start administrating things this year, so feel free to contact me about anything relating to organizing the marathon: Discord: Patrick#0303, Twitch: Patrickgh3, IWC Forums: Patrickgh3.

II. Runners and volunteers

Here is the runner, volunteer, and relay submission form (Closed May 12th, schedule here!). (please read the thread first though)

Here is the submissions list.

The last day for submissions is Friday May 12th!. Don’t wait until the last minute, but you also have time to prepare your runs.

Runner / event submissions

I think we should go for 48 hours of content again. Also, last year we had great variety in the submitted runs; I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone submits this year! For reference, here’s last year’s schedule.

Note that “showcase” submissions, or "special events" of any kind are also welcome! Examples from last year include Nader and Max’s Churatch Sunpossible race, Shadows’s needle maker, david and goliath, needle master events, my fangame creation demonstration, Geezer’s twitch plays fangames, etc.

Please note that a submission does not necessarily mean an accepted submission. It will largely depend on dates and times that work for runners. Runners, please be as flexible as possible, as it makes scheduling much easier and allows for more variety within the schedule. The last two years, every single runner that submitted had a run in the marathon!

Volunteer work

We need A LOT of help, as much as possible.

Some “tech crew” things we need help with are: hosting, a.k.a. managing the actual FM stream for a shift or two, announcing during run transitions, ensuring runners are all set up, managing run highlights and YouTube videos, and generally making sure things go smoothly.

There’s also a bunch of odd jobs like sprucing up the channel page, making some graphics (Shadows will be helping with this), possibly putting together a fangame music playlist for transitions, etc. If you think of anything that you can help with, mention it in the submission form and in Discord.

Here are some details and differences from last year. For hosts/restreamers, we’ll have a remote PC that you can log on to that will do the actual restreaming, so bad internet is hopefully not an issue and we can have more hosts! We’re planning on hosting an RTMP server on that mchine too. Thanks to Klazen for setting this up! We’ll also have around 4 hour shifts instead of 8 hours. Also, we’re gonna try to have announcers be a separate person than the current restreamer, to divide up the work a little and hopefully avoid audio issues.

Relay Race

In addition to all the submitted segments, we’re going to try to organize an additional big relay race segment this year! Denferok will be in charge of the relay.

Here’s how it works: There are multiple teams each with the same number of people, and they race to complete a set order of games as quickly as possible, with each person running 1 game. It should make for a pretty hype segment!

The games themselves will be well-known, race friendly games that our community has a history of commonly speedrunning. Also note that a game being played during the relay doesn't rule it out of being a run on it's own in the marathon too. Once we get pretty far into the submissions period, we can start figuring out teams, a best time, and what games each person will play. We might end up with around 5-8 games and 2-3 teams, but it all depends on interest and scheduling. If you’re interested, fill out the relay section of the submission form.

(click to show/hide)

III. Guidelines for runners and viewers

These rules are pretty much the same as last year’s, just reworded. Most are pretty obvious, but I appreciate everyone reading them regardless.

For runners:

- Please be ready to stream at your designated time. We ask that runners be available up to 30 minutes before their scheduled time for setup and to allow for schedule inconsistency.
- We encourage you to commentate your own run as you go. You’re also allowed to bring in other commentators, as long as they are actually knowledgeable about the run. Let us know if your run is silent so the tech crew can get someone to commentate during the run.
- Please ensure that your stream is set up correctly beforehand, including audio balancing and a stable bitrate for your connection. We will provide instructions for streaming to the RTMP server closer to the marathon date.
- Please keep the FM twitch chat open during your run to be able to see tech crew messages and also interact with viewers.
- We ask that you keep your language to a respectable level. While a lot of players in the community tend to curse off some gate jumps, we ask that it stays as PG-13 as possible with no excessive cursing.
- Runners must comply with Twitch's Community Guidelines at all times. This includes no racism of any kind, even in jest. Please avoid use of words like "retarded" or "faggot" that may be grounds for offensive content per Twitch's rules.
- Most importantly, have fun! We put on Fangame Marathon to have a good time, so we hope you guys have fun during your runs!

For viewers:

- Most of our viewers behaved excellently during the last event, so we look forward to positive behavior this time around! Please remember that just like broadcasters, viewers should refrain from excessive language in the chat, as well as any form of racism, even in jest
- Last year the marathon attracted a lot of newcomers, and as TJ noted, chat was very responsive and helpful in answering questions like "What are these games?" and "Where can I download them", and not making fun of them. Let's keep that up this year!
- Last year chat moderators did a great job last year with squelching spam and inappropriate messages, and generally being helpful and not abusing their power to spam the chat. Keep it up this year!
- Be sure to follow the twitch account, www.twitch.tv/fangamemarathon, and feel free to host the channel during the marathon as well!
- We’ll be using the hashtag #FangameMarathon on Twitter, so feel free to join in on the hype using it as we approach the marathon.
- Know any big or small streamers that would love to watch FM with their viewers? Have any friends that would want to watch? Tell them about FM!
- Get HYPE!

IV. Misc notes and in closing

We’re not going to do donations to a charity this year. Last year it was a hassle and wasn’t very successful.

Also, for reference, here's TJ's wrap-up thread from last year.

Other links:
Twitch channel - www.twitch.tv/fangamemarathon
YouTube channel - www.youtube.com/channel/UCfKa7cwruF4fSvlQ1Coxtnw

If you haven’t already, please join the FM Discord (linked above) if you’re intersted in helping out with the marathon. Feel free to ask any questions there or in this thread. Thanks for reading!

Tournaments / Fangame Marathon 2017 Date Discussion
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »
Hi everyone! It’s that time of year to get the ball rolling for Fangame Marathon 2017! I’m excited and I hope you all are too. We as a community need to decide the date the event will take place, which is what this thread is for.

First though, an important change. A few of us decided it’s best to “rebrand” and use the acronym FM instead of FGM. This is because the old acronym turned up very unsavory things when newcomers Googled it (don’t do it yourself, seriously not worth it), so let’s use FM from now on.

(non-final logo)

The tentative date for FM 2017 is June 16th - 18th, starting at around 12:00 PM EST Friday and ending around that time Sunday. Other secondary options if needed are June 9th - 11th and June 23rd - 25th.

We would like to know if that date works for the majority of potential runners and tech help volunteers (and non-speedrun event submitters). So, if you’re thinking of or planning on participating, please post here to let us know if that date works for you, or if you notice anything wrong about it, or if you absolutely can’t make any date along with another date suggestion. If you want you can also message me at Patrick#0303 on Discord.

The main announcement thread for FM 2017 with all the information will be posted soon (within a week), along with a FM planning discord. This thread should be only for discussing the date; please save other questions and comments til the main thread and discord are posted. Thanks for reading!

Game Design / Re: Things I like to see in fangames that aren't hard to make
« on: February 25, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
Good points! And I like the disclaimer at the end.

There's one point I'd like to add, that shouldn't be hard to do. Don't rush to release your game to the wiki right after you've finished the content. It can be tempting since you're exhausted and are ready to see everyone enjoy your game; I feel that too. If you're reading this, you already know to have at least one or two people playtest, but I believe one or two more can only help and I believe it's worth the extra waiting time. But in addition to more playtesters, I think waiting a few days or more allows you as the creator to take a step back, emotionally distance yourself a little, defamiliarize yourself with mechanics a little, and more clearly see things to change. For example, you won't feel as bad about nerfing a cool but hard jump, removing a kinda funny troll that made the segment just too tedious, and you might realize adding an arrow graphic and an introduction segment would help people understand a gimmick. So, take those 3 or so days!

Glad it helped! If I understand correctly, you could change the if-statement to be
if (global.grav == 1) {
    h = -h;
}

Hi Slith! Here's how I would do it.

We're gonna have a global variable called global.invertControls, and if it's 0, do normal movement, and if it's 1, flipped controls. Let's put this line of code at the beginning of the world object's create event to enable it by default:

global.invertControls = 1;

Now, for the actual control inverting. After looking at Lemon's engine, the code for walking left and right is really complicated and weird, so don't feel bad for not understanding it. (I'd recommend Seph's or Yoyo's engine for new projects in the future). In the player's step event, at the top, the h gets set to 1, 0, or -1, depending on whether walking right, standing still, or walking left. (Don't worry about not understanding the code). So, if we simply multiply h by -1, we'll reverse our direction! Insert the following code AFTER h gets set to either global.R or global.L:

if (global.invertControls) {
    h = -h;
}

Your code should look like this now: https://i.imgur.com/7hp21uY.png. Let me know if that helps!

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: February 20, 2017, 03:46:45 AM »
Updated my nice-feeling push blocks. Fixed some bugs, and made the code simpler. https://tinyurl.com/zx9ra6h

Announcements / Re: Team overhaul
« on: February 08, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »
I personally would really prefer a hand-selected 10-15 person team. As it is now, the team doesn't benefit its target audience, e.g. non-longtime-fangame-community-members. I'd like to see it help attract more people to the community as much as possible. On a related note, I think it'd be nice to re-do the page graphics and to actually have a description.

From the "other side's" point of view, being a team member makes you feel good, like you're accepted in the community. I have my doubts that joining the team as it is today actually helps your stream numbers at all, it's mainly for that feeling of acceptance, those words at the top of your channel. I think this is the root of why some people oppose an exclusive team, getting a flashy badge revoked FeelsBadMan, even if most others did too. I don't know what the solution to this sentiment is, or if it even needs a solution, just thought I'd share.

Game Design / Re: Looking for beta testers for Fangame The Game
« on: January 29, 2017, 02:14:58 PM »
Hi vertigoelectric, I still remember you and your game from the old days. Glad to see you back in the new community! :) I think it's cool you're finishing / fixing up Fangame The Game and I wish you good luck. I personally can't really commit to playtesting.

Have you considered starting a new game project? It's cool you're motivated to work on FTG and by all means do that, it's just another option I'd consider. Starting from a fresh slate can be nice. Anyways just a thought.

About Delfruit reviews, that's good you're keeping a thick skin. A lot of the time they can be harsh, and it's easy to take them personally when you shouldn't. Also, these forums are a bit desolate, so don't feel bad if any posts get few replies, it happens to all of us ;) The main interactions in the community nowadays happen on Twitch (follow the IWBTG directory) and various Discord servers, so I recommend you check out those. Good luck working on fangames again! :)

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be The Engine Ban055
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
I like all the production value touches like the double jump particles, death effect, unique menu, and various graphics. The many small things go a long way to make a game feel unique, in a good way.

I feel like this engine is a good example of adding production value, and I'd recommend anyone who's a novice at production value to download and play it. And to the creator, I wish you the best of luck making fangames, you have a good start :)

Hi Plasma. So the way I would do this is to add code in the step event of objBow that detects if the secret is gotten, and if true, then delete itself and create an objBow2. So like what you did, but inside the bow step event instead of the objSecretItem collision event. The code would be

Code: [Select]
if (global.secretItem[0]) { // replace 0 with your item number
    instance_destroy();
    instance_create(x, y, objBow2);
}

You can also copy this code to the create event which should get rid of the 1-frame delay when you respawn.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12