Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Programming Questions / Re: help with traps
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:14:38 AM »
I made a simple example in Game Maker with how I like to do triggers, and a few example triggered effects. It's attached to this post. Having a working example should help. The code should be easy to understand; go line by line and figure out why it works, and read the comments. I prefer to keep the logic of the triggered effects in their own objects, as opposed to Stinky's way of keeping the effect logic in multiple trigger objects, but both ways work fine.

Also, your screenshot looks pretty neat. :o

Hi all. I figured it would be nice to have a thread where we share work in progress screenshots and thoughts of the cool projects we are working on, and you also don't want to start a new thread just for it. I know I'm often curious what people are cooking up! I think posts about discontinued projects should also be welcome here, since others can draw inspiration from them and also learn from their shortcomings, postmortem style. I think sharing these WIP and discontinued project screenshots is a great thing for our community to do. :)

I'll start with my first (recent, not including back in 2010) attempt at a fangame: I Wanna Dream of 100, from a little over 1 year ago. I thought a 100 floor game with calm and dreamy environments and original (albeit crappy) art would be fun to play and to make. I soon found out that 100 floors is a *lot* of content, and that I wasn't as comfortable with fangame level design yet as I thought, so I dropped it. I do like a lot of the ideas it has though, and I just might come back to it. I later thought of ideas for a final stage and boss, and a neat gimmick that would play nice with the whole game: an optional collectible item in every room, which is only visible when you are near it so you have to hunt for it, and more challenging to get to than the hardest platforming in the main path, so the game appeals to both beginner and intermediate players.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to share! :)

(Mods, feel free to spoiler these pictures if need be. I'm not sure what's appropriate. Thanks.)

(click to show/hide)

Engines / Re: TestGuy - Unity Fangame Engine
« on: August 02, 2014, 06:45:32 PM »
I think this was a fun idea, recreating the standard iwbtg game physics and other elements in Unity. Sounds like you had fun working on it. But I think that no matter what, even with a lot of tweaking, there would always be noticeable deficiencies when compared to the standard Game Maker base ("engine") that everyone uses. Since iwbtg games have been around for a while, and the community has really explored and gotten used to the physics and other things in the Game Maker base, even a polished Unity game would simply not be up to par by default. However I totally encourage you to keep working on this project if you're having fun and learning. I'll definitely check out your progress. As a side note, I've been using Unity myself for ~6 months now and I love it.

Actually I just came to Unity because I hated how gamemaker language works and decided to use a real programming language.
Using C# (c++ and java are my cores but its not like c# is much different). I think yours was the metroidvania type game which for general guy engine purposes wont help the "average" guy gamemaker make a game in unity. Hopefully trying to make this as noob friendly as possible (which kinda takes more code than I would like :p). Drag and drop, drag and drop, thats what they like right?? lol Unity is good for that.

This made me kind of upset. I can respect your decision to use Unity over Game Maker, because you might prefer the way Unity does some things to the way GM does them. But you can't call GM "not a real programming language." I don't think that's a valid question to ask of either GM or Unity. Both GM and Unity are game engines of sorts, and take care of most aspects of the game pipeline. They both have extensive GUI editors. They both use script based programming. They're both well respected and are good at what they do.

As a side note, sometime last year I spent a little time trying to recreate the basic iwbtg physics, etc. in Haxe using HaxePunk (https://haxepunk.com/), since I'm quite familiar with it, and I thought it would be better than programming in GM 8.1. I gave up because even though the physics were pretty close, the differences were noticeable, and I concluded it really wasn't worth it to improve them, since they would never be perfect (valign, jump cancelling would be very tedious to do, and probably impossible to get exactly right).

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I Wanna Be The Death Collab [Make A Stage!]
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
I think the only way this has a shot at being good is if people make something fun, or atleast attempt to. it can be needle sure, but they should also be required to clear their own stage, completely. no tas or save states. you also need some quality control and beta testers.
otherwise 1 person might as well just make IwbtTAS3. or at the very least agree on what we are making, so it isnt so weirdly mixed up like the first.

I agree, I think there needs to be a little more guidance for the game to feel coherent. Here are my suggestions, tell me what you guys think.

1. We should agree upon an example of roughly how difficult and long the stages should be. And similarly, should stages be just needle, or anything goes? Starz0r suggested to me TAS should be the standard (?)
2. After everyone submits their stage, we should have a short beta test, and then people can make tweaks to their stages accordingly.
3. Not sure about this one, but each stage could have some kind of a nod toward the name/theme of the collab, "Death." The final stage could be directly death-themed.

These are just suggestions, feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I don't mean to be rude, I just want this collab to be the best it can be :BloodTrail: Also, here's a screenshot from my stage so far.
(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Re: Ressource sites for sprites, sounds etc. ?
« on: November 30, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
https://www.freesound.org/ is a great resource that I've used a lot, in combination with Audacity. Free to use high quality miscellaneous sounds.

I've also heard great things about https://opengameart.org/ though I've never used it.

https://www.ludumdare.com/compo/tools/ is a short list of free tools such as graphics editors, sound editors, etc. you may find useful.

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hi Hi
« on: November 08, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »

Meet and Greet! / Hi Hi
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
Hey all, I'm patrickgh from IWBTForums. I was watching Wolsk's stream and caught a glimpse of this forum, so I thought I'd stop by. I probably won't post often, but I figured I may as well say hi anyway ^^

About me: I made a mediocre fangame a few years ago (IWBTPatrick) and have been programing / making games since. There's a link to my Github on my profile if you're interested in my projects. I also enjoy watching Aiwanna streams, and I'm gradually learning about the intricacies of fangames. Recently I've been kind of interested in making a fangame, so I guess I'll post here if that ever happens. See you guys around!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]