Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - YoSniper

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *PRELIMINARY*
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
Not sure if my PM reply went through, so I'll just say it here.

The contest begins in March. I am happy to have anyone who wants to participate/judge post their hype about the contest before then, though.

I will make a formal announcement when the contest begins. I am working my schedule around another event, and I'm trying to be more forgiving with people's school schedules and such.

Just as a heads-up, I am not expecting a complete game from anyone this time. The minimum for a submission will be one area plus one boss, but more is usually better in my mind.

In the meantime, please keep posting ideas about the random dictionary word. If it is very obscure, however, please include a definition.

EDIT: Updated 01/12/2015

« on: December 25, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
To be honest, I'm no fan of cash prizes. So, if I do end up winning, (which considering the competition is unlikely.) I feel uncomfortable giving my personal information.  :atkCry:

Well, if such a situation arises, I can be flexible. I could gift some games on Steam if it comes down to it, or something of the sort.

PayPal is another option. Only snag there is that PayPal takes a small cut.

« on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:01 AM »
Basically I'm Fut Coins requiring participants to include certain things rather than prohibit gimmicks like double-jump restores and the like.
No idea what "fut coins" means, but yeah, that's basically how this contest is going to operate. I don't intend to really prohibit anything. There will be restrictions, but no prohibitions.

« on: December 23, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
I have to wait three months!? Oh well, I may have ignored this contest last time, but no more!!! Count me in on this contest, Sniper!  :atkLove:
I'd be happy to have you.

I'm not going to go through the whole "pre-registration" stuff this time. Basically, what I'm going to do instead is have the prize vary depending on the number of qualified entries. That way, more participation is encouraged, and I don't have to pay $100 for a train wreck like last year.

Granted, the winners from last year's contest certainly deserved the prize in my mind, but the fact that I lost more than half of my participants really pissed me off.

« on: December 20, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »
Just so everyone on this side is also aware, for one of the entertainment rules, I am going to pull a word randomly out of a hat, and that word will need to be referenced somehow in the submitted games.

I am currently looking for word suggestions. Just pick a word out of the dictionary (but please don't pitch words that only a precious few will know. I've already had one guy pitch a whole bunch of ridiculously complicated words.)

Running list is:

- vitamins
- fedora
- queen
- regicide (a fancy word for "assassin" or "assassination", specifically of a king or sovereign)
- aardvark
- alchemy

Game Design / YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:03:36 PM »
THE RESULTS ARE IN! I WILL BE POSTING LINKS TO THE RESULTS VIDEOS AS I UPLOAD THEM:

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Part 4:
Part 5:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it's official! YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 has kicked off!

No pre-registration is required this time around; just submit an entry if you want to participate.

RULES:

OVERALL DESIGN:
1) Any engine is acceptable (even no engine at all)
2) Games must have at a minimum ONE complete area and ONE boss, although more is usually better.
3) Games must be Windows 8 friendly. Abrupt crashes are BAD!!!

RESTRICTIVE:

4) A "God mode" option must be included in the game. This ensures that all judges will be able to play through each game in its entirety.

5) A README file must be included with your game submission. This will just explain in obvious terms how all of the rules are followed, how God mode can be activated, and any other important details.

INNOVATIVE:

6) At least two distinct gimmicks must be employed, NOT including the following:
- Double-jump restores
- Switching lasers
- Gravity switching
- Invisible/fake blocks
- Increased/decreased speed
- Increased/decreased gravity

7) Include at least one collectible item that serves some purpose (not just for the sake of being collected.)

ENTERTAINMENT:

8) Include a reference to either Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, or Mortal Kombat somewhere.

9) The randomly chosen word is "misogamy." Reference this word somehow somewhere in your game.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS JULY 1, 2015

PRIZES THIS YEAR ARE DEPENDENT UPON THE NUMBER OF QUALIFYING ENTRIES, SO THE MORE THE MERRIER!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATE. I WILL BE LOOKING FOR JUDGES AS THE DEADLINE APPROACHES.

PARTICIPANTS:
1. ValDenStudios - CONFIRMED
2. pieceofcheese87 - CONFIRMED
3. TheGamerGuy500 - CONFIRMED
4. zeapawak - CONFIRMED
5. WetWookie - CONFIRMED
6. RandomFangamer - CONFIRMED
7. HAEGOE - CONFIRMED
8. ChrisTheGuySlayer2002 - CONFIRMED
9. klazen108 - CONFIRMED
10. ShutUpNerd - CONFIRMED
11. spriter - CONFIRMED
12. Mr Wonderful - CONFIRMED
13. Derf & Katz - CONFIRMED

JUDGES:
1. YoSniper - VOTED
2. Jmab - VOTED
3. Raganoxer - VOTED
4. Kilgour22 - VOTED
5. Klaty - VOTED
6. Nat - VOTED
7. Paragus - VOTED
8. natedog2007 - VOTED
9. Starz0r - VOTED
10. Musto0063 - VOTED
11. cdmans - VOTED

The prize is a maximum value of 25.00 USD. The winner can redeem this in the form of Steam games, raw cash, or whatever means they wish. They can even waive the whole thing if they want (although that would probably piss off all of the other participants.)

All submitted games are here (except for PSIFT, by Derf's and Katz's request.)
https://www.mediafire.com/?0u72y6sym29385o

Engines / Re: I wanna be the Engine Seph Edition
« on: August 17, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
I just tried downloading the engine for research purposes, and when I tried to open the ZIP archive, I got an error saying it was damaged or corrupted.

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest *RESULTS*
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:13 PM »
And finally, the final results video has been posted!

Just to elaborate, I have confirmed that the messages I've sent HAVE gotten sent.

I'm just not sure how long I need to wait before it is safe to navigate to another page.

And yeah, no notice and no archive.

I haven't posted about this recently because I figured it would go away, but it has been at least a couple of weeks and I still cannot send personal messages to anybody.

Every time I try, the page merely times out, and I assume that the message does not get sent.

When I've accessed this forum from my mobile device, I've occasionally seen a warning that says "High Server Load Detected." Not sure if that is related, but I would really like the ability to send PMs again, just in case I need to.

Programming Questions / Re: Needing an engine...
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
(Going slightly off topic) The thing that bothers me about this though and don't take this the wrong way i'm not trying to be an asshole, the post was on July 8th and you're just responding now because its been moved into game design,  It wouldn't hurt or kill you to look on the other boards and go on twitch.tv sometimes you know, that's the way to find out what's going on, it's where everything happens, a lot of people have made this point and it is indeed very true, take this under consideration and if you want if you really want to be a part of this community, the forums don't really do the trick for you.
No offense taken, but to that point, I really don't have a lot of time to spare to do that. Plus, I'm not much of a forum guy.

Yes, I generally only explore the Game Design section and the Fangames section of IWBTForums, but you try having a full-time job, and a marriage, and a schedule that is constantly getting filled with shit you don't want to do, and see if you can still manage to keep up with everything. It's simply not doable for me, and it's also the reason why part 3 of the contest results has taken so long.

In any event, I will do my best to check out the physics employed by engines like the Yuutu edition and such, and see if I can make any improvements there. Programming is a large part of my real-world  job now, so I have a lot of ideas of how to modulate the engine and make it more readable and user-friendly.

Programming Questions / Re: Needing an engine...
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
YoSniper's engine is clearly superior.

Tell me when the physics are fixed :Kappa:
I am planning on making another rendition of my engine toward the end of this year. What physics are a problem, particularly?

« on: July 27, 2014, 09:05:45 AM »
Yeah, so every time I try to record stuff for the final video, I get summoned to some other task. Hopefully I can put it all together by the 31st, but even now that looks like a chore. I'm seriously doing everything I can to work fast. Please be patient.

EDIT: Stitching together the final pieces of the final results video. It will go up tomorrow around 4:30 PM EST.

« on: July 18, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »
Okay, part 2 is up (or should be shortly. It was 95% processed last I checked.)

« on: July 13, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
YoSniper, I gotta admit - you are one really funny dude. Seeing as this contest as gotten a lot of hate for certain criteria (including from me), I now feel bad for the awful, terrible, AIDS-infested fangames you had to work your way through. Your sense of humor is exactly what we needed to see in this contest, and I look forward to the future result videos.
Much appreciated, bro. But yeah, I very much overestimated my patience for this. In retrospect, 12 fangames and 7 judges was about as much as I could handle.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10