Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - YoSniper

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »
Hey guys.

This is just a quick warning that I will be out of touch for a week or so, just in case some of you decide to start submitting.

I'll be back in roughly a week to catch up on whatever I missed.

That deadline is creeping up rather quickly, so please don't delay!

Sincerely,

YoSniper

If nothing else, the game ALWAYS starts in the first room in the Rooms folder. Most engines I've seen lately have the first room in a folder labeled "00 - something" so that when you sort the Rooms folder by name, that folder always stays at the top.

I'm using gm studio with yoyoyo engine.
 I know I can create different global variables for similar uses,but I saw in the yoyoyo and yuutu engines that they created the global.secretItem[itemNum] and global.bossItem[itemNum] variables with "[itemNum]" being from 1 to 8. Is the number 8 a limit in global variables or what's the reason for this limitation? Thank you.
If it is an established list in code (like in the Create Event,) then the "limit" of 8 can be increased if desired. The number 8 was just an easy value to use as a default.

The only hard limits I can think of are, for example, background layers, views, and view properties. Those are more or less built into the room instances.

« on: April 06, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
First official committed entry was submitted today. Looking forward to the rest!

You still have roughly 3 months to develop your games, and don't forget that even if you submit a game, you can replace it with a later version anytime before the deadline of July 3.

« on: March 30, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.
The point of God mode is to guarantee any judge's ability to beat the game. Immortality plus mouse placement was my idea of incorporating this.

The "spoiler file" you mention is basically what I intend for contestants to include in the README file, in addition to obvious explanations of how they implement the creativity rules.

As for games that cannot be beaten with God mode, I make the final decision on whether or not to disqualify them. But personally, I would think that creating such a game where it is impossible to see every last detail (with the exception of any old content for games that may have been submitted to previous contests) would defeat the whole purpose of those rules and thus warrant disqualification.

« on: March 16, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
I apologise if this is addressed in the video, but when you say "horn" does it have to be a musical horn or can it be, say, a unicorn horn or something?
A musical horn, a unicorn horn, whatever kind of horn you want to use. Just make it clear in the README in case it's not obvious.

« on: February 20, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
EXECUTIVE DECISION MADE:

Old game submissions are allowed, as long as all old content is excluded/made inaccessible.
Hopefully, my decision is made clear to everyone. If you're still confused by this, it might just be a better bet to submit a new project.

« on: February 17, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »
I decided to make a video so I can keep the whole debate in one place.

Please voice your opinion in the comments there. I will use those comments as the basis of my decision on Saturday.

« on: February 16, 2016, 11:03:04 PM »
I've been working on a game for a little bit, but want to conform it to the contest and enter it to the contest with its rules and such, is that allowed?
I think that's fine. I'm just more concerned about people not liking the idea of a game from a previous contest coming back in this year's contest.

ON THE GENERAL TOPIC:

For the record, it's issues like this that help enforce why I have Entertainment/Creativity rules that vary from year to year.

Anyway, only one person has said they don't like it (but hasn't outright objected.)

I'll give it until the end of the week and if there are no outright objections, I'm calling it good.

« on: February 16, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
Hey guys, I just want to get some quick answers from the community so I can make an early decision:

One prospective participant wants to reuse his entry from last year for this year's contest (revamped to include this year's rules, of course.)

DOES ANYONE OBJECT TO THIS?

« on: February 14, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »
Can people make a reference to a shoe and horn together, or refer to them more than once(for example : boss is a shoe-wearing giant horn instrument that throws its shoes while making MLG horn noises)?
Yes, that is allowed. Less likely to win the Creativity prize in my opinion, but it's allowed.

« on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:37 PM »
I mean I'm gonna make the game no matter what because I like the idea behind it; I just have to ask, if I weren't to include a boss in this, would it be outright disqualified?
You know, I'm torn because I want you in the contest, but I also want to be fair to everyone else.

Short answer is yes. Both the one area and one boss minimums have to be met.

Long answer is, if it really does not sync with your game like you're telling me, then maybe you can make your boss fight an optional quest or something. I am very lenient on the structure of games, but the elements need to be there in some form.

« on: February 14, 2016, 03:00:58 PM »
Oh and just to clarify, we can work in groups right?
Yes, group projects are allowed.

« on: February 14, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »
I had an idea a week ago that compelled me to make something for this contest for once; however, I have no idea how to incorporate a boss into it or any of the creativity rules for that matter without straying away from the original vision I had for the game, so rip ;;
Well hey, you've got 4 months. You shouldn't tap out just yet. But I guess we'll see...

Game Design / YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016 *RESULTS*
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
RESULTS

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: Sunday, July 3

RULES FOR SUBMISSIONS:

1) Minimum of 1 Area + 1 Boss Fight
2) Include a God Mode option (toggled with Ctrl + G)
    - Immortality
    - Ability to place Kid with mouse
    - BOTH OF THESE ARE MANDATORY
3) Include a README text file with your game describing how the Creativity rules are implemented, as well as any other necessary details
4) NO JUMPSCARES - Do not push the boundaries of this rule. I mean it.

CREATIVITY RULES:
5) Include a reference to a shoe (the generic Kid's shoes cannot count toward this.)
6) Include a reference to a horn.

PRIZES:

Once total purse is determined by number of contestants, the money will be divided as follows:
- 50% to outright winner of contest (highest aggregate score from judges)
- 30% crowd favorite (mass vote at end of contest)
- 20% most creative use of Creativity rules, as determined by judges

Thank you in advance to all who participate.

CONFIRMED CONTESTANTS & ENTRIES:
1. WetWookie - I Wanna Dance With Daggers
2. Lss - I Wanna Be The Soupreme
3. 128-Up - I Wanna Escape The Basement
4. GamerGuy500 - A Gamer's Journey
5. Hop - HopPros

Link to submitted games:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/1pu3drtzfntayka/Submissions.zip

JUDGES:
1. YoSniper
2. Paragus
3. GeoGeo22