Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - YoSniper

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *READY SET GO!*
« on: March 09, 2015, 05:02:44 PM »
I am currently developing a game that might get pushed into this contest, as it follows almost all of the rules and then some such as having extra different gimmicks, god mode option, free-fly, no-clip and a metric shitload of other debugging tools to be used at the end-user's will. (All of these will be activated by a code at the title screen. Crashing is a concern because I have no clue what causes it, it rarely happens upon death with certain circumstances.
If it's Windows 8 related, a fix has been found for such circumstances. I can usually only recommend not playing too many sounds at the same time (which this fix... well, fixes.) I also recommend not using too many object instances at one time.

If the game crashes suddenly, it's likely a hardware problem (like Windows 8.) If it crashes because it stalls out, I've often found that it's an infinite loop issue in the code (such as a while loop.)

In any event, I'd be happy to have you in the contest. Shall I add you to the list?

« on: March 01, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
I'm keeping a running list of interested participants and judges in the OP. Please keep me informed whether you decide to be in or out, just so I have an idea of what to expect as the deadline approaches.

And again, if SirRouven using the same game as last year rubs anyone the wrong way, please speak up. I do not want to give an unfair advantage to any one person.

« on: February 21, 2015, 07:01:28 PM »
Just as a heads up - the win8 rule is actually fixed for all win8 computers now. bmxbandit posted a quick and easy guide on these forums to fixing win8 to run all fangames with no problems. Just in case you were curious :D
That's good to know, but the "no crashing" interpretation of that rule still stands.

« on: February 21, 2015, 03:49:42 PM »
It's on! See OP for details.

Defibrillation
High Heel
Cassette
Laser Pointer
Refrigerator
Canned Yams

Alright, well with a flat 50 possibilities, I'm calling it at that. Thank you all for your input. I shall return with the official start to the contest within the next couple of weeks.

piano
love
waifu  :atkWaifu:    (slang)
cats
kittens    (redundant)
cry
memes
machines
miku    (fuck no)
time

all i can think of atm

I'll add the acceptable ones to the list.

for dictionary thing:

destructive
eight
solar
strong
messier (as in 'more messy', not charles messier)
dignity
swedish
petroleum

...too ordinary?
Nah, these are fine.

So now there are a total of 37 words. Three days to go!

Just FYI, less than a week left to get your dictionary entries in for the random drawing! 29 so far...

Just please make it an actual word and not a name. I'm allowing Arnold Palmer, but that's really pushing it.

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *PRELIMINARY*
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Jesus, you guys. All right, well, I've added everything except for Charles Barkley. I felt that that one was too far-fetched. I'll accept Arnold Palmer in drink form only.

« on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:31 PM »
Glad to have you.

« on: January 25, 2015, 10:06:12 PM »
All right, well there are still a couple of weeks to get your random dictionary words in!

The special word will be selected by a roll of a die or a couple of dice, depending on how nice and round the total number winds up being.

Fear not! I will ensure that every word has an equal chance of being selected.

Programming Questions / Re: Vertical moving platform question
« on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
Within the step code for the platform, I recommend putting something like this where the code sets the player's x and y relative to the platform.

RATHER THAN SAYING SOMETHING LIKE:
Code: [Select]
player.x += hspeed;
player.y += vspeed;

DO THIS INSTEAD:
globalvar space_available, hsp, vsp;
space_available = true;
hsp = hspeed;
vsp = vspeed;
with(player) {
    if not place_free(x + hsp, y + vsp) {
        space_available = false;
    }
}
//Finally, set the player relative to this platform's movement if it is deemed that space is available
if space_available {
    player.x += hspeed;
    player.y += vspeed;
}

NOTE: This will not work if the platform is moving diagonally. In such a case, you will need to check the horizontal and vertical available spaces separately.

Programming Questions / Re: Help with secret items
« on: January 13, 2015, 04:36:23 PM »
do you also know how this works when I want to let something appear after collecting the item, like a warp? :/
You can put something like this in the Destroy Event for the secret item:
instance_create(?, ?, obj_warp);
REMEMBER TO REPLACE THE QUESTION MARKS WITH ACTUAL VALUES!

I can't tell you the number of times I've given pseudo-code to people, and they just blindly copy and paste it, and then come back to me with "I got an error, unknown value '?'."

Programming Questions / Re: Help with secret items
« on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Maybe do something like this with the object that acts as the parent for spikes and fruit and such...

(As long as it doesn't overwrite an event of any sort.)

Secret Item collision with Player:

with(spike_fruit_parent) {alarm[0] = 2;}
instance_destroy();

The exact object names are probably different or need to be created.

Alarm[0] Event of spike_fruit_parent:

image_alpha -= 0.05;
if image_alpha <= 0 {instance_destroy();}
else {alarm[0] = 2;}

Something like that? You might have to tweak the timing a bit.

Programming Questions / Re: Upwards moving solid block
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
So I wanted to make a solid block that would move upwards and also be able to carry the player upwards like a platform
Because of the way gamemaker treats solid objects this has proven extremely difficult to do, and I honestly cannot think of anything I haven't tried yet.

Does anybody know how this could be done?

While I don't recommend using solid objects at all in Game Maker, I think the best approach is to set the player's y coordinate upon colliding with the player, i.e. something like:

if place_meeting(x, y-1, player) {
    player.y = y - 8;
}

Note that this is not complete nor foolproof code. Again, I don't recommend using solid objects, but this might get you on the right track.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10