Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - 128-Up

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
The Lounge / What makes a guy game a guy game?
« on: June 27, 2015, 11:40:34 PM »
Question's in the title.
I've been thinking about this more than I should.

It can't be that the player character is the Kid because that rules out Boshy and Bread.
It can't be that there has to be traps because that rules out pure needle and pure avoidance.
It can't be that the player character has to be restrained to a certain set of physics because surely that leads to questioning why more than one engine exists.

So what are the hard and fast rules that determine whether something's a fangame?

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: How am I supposed to pass this screen?
« on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:29 PM »
Wall jump off the vines?

The problem is getting to the vine in the first place, since you can't single jump over the first spike and treat it like an M-jump

It's basically a diamond with a roof instead of the two top spikes, to which the solution is what Inferno said - get as close to the ceiling with the double jump as possible without hitting it.

Tournaments / Re: FGM Wrap-Up/Future Considerations
« on: June 14, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »
All I really have to say here is that more "showcases" alongside runs would make for great content, like the Cultured 2 preview or the showing off of the Miku Flute in Blue Mage.
Things like that.

Thanks Piece. I figured a very basic graphical style would fit me well because... well... art is hard, hehe.  :azoMoko:

I started work on my first "proper" fangame a while ago, and as of right now it's about a quarter-done. It's going to be a 100-floor platforming-only game. I also thought that instead of difficulties altering saves, they would alter spike quantities. Yes, I know it's not much more creative, but it's something.

It's not too good, imo... but I'm getting used to fangame design philosophies!

(click to show/hide)

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Music issues with fangames
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »
Turns out that I had two music playback devices running simultaneously, and shutting one of them off seems to fix the problem.

Locking the thread, but will unlock if problem resurfaces (and I really hope it doesn't...!)

EDIT: It resurfaced. Fuck.

« on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »
Posting again to say that the problems have extended to all fangames, not just those without external music.

I'm still stumped.

« on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:49 PM »
Something I just realised I didn't make as clear as I'd like.

These games (before the issue hits) initially playing music just fine, but after the music changes a couple of times, it no longer plays. Going back to title (F2) doesn't remedy this.

EDIT: A couple of examples, to see if this helps.
I decided to reload a Celebrate 100 save from Floor 81 (Minecraft stage), and the music for the Creeper boss didn't play.
I then decided to make a fresh save for Challenge 100 Trials and the music for the Floor 40 boss didn't play.
When these bosses were beaten, the music continued to not play.

« on: May 19, 2015, 08:49:15 AM »
Isn't that just preventing the "triple sound effect = crash" thing, rather than the music not playing?

Either way, I'll re-apply it just in case.

Gameplay & Discussion / Music issues with fangames
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:24:32 AM »
First of all, I apologise if this is in the wrong board.

Anyway, as per the title, I've noticed some issues with fangame music since moving to Windows 8.1.
Occasionally, the music cuts out and it requires closing and re-opening the game to fix. While not much of a problem, it's still annoying, and I searched the forum beforehand and couldn't find a fix besides "Restart the computer" (which doesn't work, since the problem resurfaces eventually anyway) or "It fixed itself after a few days" (...very helpful(!)).

Anyone know what it is that causing this? The only connection I've noticed is that it only seems to happen with fangames that don't utilise external music.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Post the fangame you just beat!
« on: May 14, 2015, 09:54:07 PM »

:atkHappy:

I know it's been five months since the last version, but this is only a bugfix. Sorry.
We were informed of some crash instances recently and only just got them fixed... hehe.  :paraPalm:

This will be uploaded to the wiki too.

In the meantime, however, here's a taste of what's to come.

Tournaments / Re: The FGM Schedule!
« on: May 05, 2015, 10:50:01 AM »
I assume K3 is "to Boss Rush", judging by the estimate?
Clarification would be nice. :P

Tournaments / Re: WFC: Week 22 04.05.2015 - 10.05.2015
« on: May 04, 2015, 07:12:44 PM »
Rainbow Feather:

(click to show/hide)

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »
I've definitely had screenshots show up in different orders before...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8