Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - WetWookie

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Engines / Re: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition
« on: June 21, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
Quote from: Klaty
I'm not certain if you're trying to say that in a hostile way (proving that there's something bad about FMod) or just not wanting to answer my question on whether it's compatible or not.
Quote from: Starz0r
You can still choose to use FMOD

Quote from: Klaty
I'm having a really hard time believing that the built-in audio engine can manage MIDI, pitch shift, reverse, pass, what more.
The build in sound engine can pitch shift. Everything would classify as
Quote from: Starz0r
something really interesting

Hopefully Starz0r won't be 'hostile' anymore by trying to answer your questions.

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
This error is indicating that the variable called yspeed has no value and so it cannot perform a calculation with it.
In your create event give yspeed a value like this
yspeed = 0;

Any variable you are using should be initialized in your create event (not right click->creation code) with a default value so that the calculations won't bomb if they are not being set in the creation code.

Edit: And the post I replied to is now gone...

Game Design / Re: Colorize black, white or gray sprites
« on: June 12, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
If you mean like this

Then in Paint.net add a new layer, add your color to the layer and change it's Mode to Overlay

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:28:46 PM »
Awesome  :PogChamp:

« on: April 18, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »
In places where you have lists of games (the new games on the front page, full list of games, anywhere else) where you have Game Name, Difficulty, Rating would it be possible to add a column for Number of Ratings?

Yes. The FPS should equal the room speed (50 for fangames). If it dips below that you have a problem.

Programming Questions / Re: Spotlight Effects From Kill The Guy?
« on: April 06, 2016, 11:14:25 AM »
You're just about right. You create a surface and draw a black rectangle. The alpha you use when drawing the rectangle determines how dark it is where there is no light. Alpha of 1 is pitch black. Alpha of 7 is gloomy but visible. You then set the draw mode to subtract draw_set_blend_mode(bm_subtract); and draw your 'light' sprites at the location of all your light sources which removes the blackness of the rectangle you drew earlier. Set draw mode back to normal and draw your surface.

I think it's less an issue of room size and more an issue of objects and are those objects running step events or alarms so it depends on what you're putting in the room. You an always give it a shot and check the fps to see how it's holding up.

httpss://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/debugging/fps_real.html

Game Design / Required reading for new developers
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:55:48 AM »
I keep seeing new developers run into the same issues over and over so here's a list of common issues and their fixes.

If your room seems to bounce when you press reset (or it does funny things with screen capture or streaming) it's because your rooms (or views) are a different size than your 'system' screens (rMenu, rInit, etc...). Make sure the rooms and views are all the same size (800 x 608 or 800 x 600 typically).

If you made a large room and put a camera object in to make the view follow the player and the room gets stretched out of shape it's because the room's view properties are not set properly. Your engine should have come with a template room. If you duplicate that to create your new room all of the settings for the view should be set properly. Otherwise you'll have to set the rooms view properties manually each time you create a new large room.

If you use a portal room as your menu screen where the player jumps into a new game portal or a load game portal it is best to label the portals clearly and put the new game portal farther away (or past) the load game portal to prevent players from accidentally starting a new game and overwriting their existing save file.

Some PCs will crash your game if you play three or more copies of the same sound at the same time. While the player can do some things to fix this issue on their end it's best to avoid playing multiple copies of a sound on top of each other.

If you have secret rooms you need to provide the player with a way of exiting the room without completing it with either a warp or by pressing escape. This prevents the player from getting stuck in an optional room that they cannot (or do not want to) complete.

Projectiles need to be seen easily. Don't use dark projectiles on a dark background (or light on light) and they should have a depth that places them on top of blocks.

Particle effects are nice but can cause issues if not managed properly. If you have an object in a room that uses the particle system you must destroy those particle systems, types and emitters when the object is destroyed to avoid having a memory leak. Additionally you MUST also destroy them in the objects Room End event (or call instance_destroy() in the Room End event). Studio for some reason does not run each object's destroy event when a room ends so you will need to take care of it for objects that use particles yourself.

When choosing aesthetics it is better to be subtle than flashy. Scrolling graphics, heavy particle usage and clashing colors will cause annoyance and eye strains.

Try to get all of your music near the same volume. You can use a free audio editing program like Audacity to adjust the sound levels.

Did I miss anything?

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:27:33 PM »
Someone asked me for my water droplet code so here ya go. Object drips down blocks and slides along the edges of spikes.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:43 PM »
It kind of feels against the spirit of things to reuse an entry from last year unless there's a significant amount of effort that went into revamping the game. Like, if someone is putting up something from top 5 of last year with a couple of hours worth of tweaks I'd feel really unmotivated to make a whole new game to go up against it.

« on: February 05, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
I'd like to recommend that a review count for +10% weight toward the average ratings for each Like they have. (And maybe a disagree button for -10%?) This might help provide more accurate ratings for games with fewer reviews since it's easier for people to indicate their thoughts on a game by liking the reviews that they agree with.

Game Design / Re: Kamilia 3 All Gird for Game Maker
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
I'm going to use four semi transparent grids all drifting in different directions! :Kappa:

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: October 09, 2015, 12:45:07 PM »
Wookie's Bugs.

Give them a small sprite (I used 7x7) with the origin in the center and uncheck "visible" in the object. Place the bug anywhere on the screen and on startup it will find a random block, place itself there, turn itself visible and start wandering around.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Known issues: Crawls onto invisible objects (triggers)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6