Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - WetWookie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Programming Questions / Re: Boshy Spike Stand How?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:38:40 PM »
comment out the code that creates the spike and make sure standing on the block works.

Programming Questions / Re: Boshy Spike Stand How?
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
I haven't tried it but I suspect that the easiest way without recoding a bunch of things would be to make a new object that has objBlock as it's parent. The sprite would be just the flat surface that you can stand on and then in the create event for the object put
Code: [Select]
event_inherited();
instance_create(x,y,objSpikeDown);

So essentially you have the flat block to stand on and a downward spike jutting out the bottom.

Programming Questions / Re: Object Wobble Effect
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »
In studio the Creation Code takes place after the Create Event so all you have to do are give wobble_speed and/r wobble_distance a different value in the instances creation code. (ie. wobble_distance = 64);

Programming Questions / Re: Growing and Shrinking Object
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Nogard already posted while I was writing this up but it seemed a shame to do all that work and then not hit submit.   :ZreknarF:

Game Design / Re: Fangame Resource Library (Sprites, Tiles, Objects, etc)
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
  • (click to show/hide)

Game Design / Fangame Resource Library (Sprites, Tiles, Objects, etc)
« on: September 06, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)
  • (click to show/hide)

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Windows 10 Cultured + GENKI fix
« on: September 05, 2016, 10:48:29 PM »
Do you think it would be ok to apply this to everything we upload or should we leave it up to the players to decide to do it if they have a problem?

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Be The Troll (working title)- Demo
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
Learning to make fangames is great fun and I'm glad you're giving it a shot.

That said one of the biggest, most important, never to be strayed from parts of making a fangame is don't mess with the physics! Many players have hundred or thousands of hours into fangames and have all of the movements committed to muscle memory. They press the jump keys a very specific number of milliseconds and expect the kid to move in a very precise way. As soon as you start changing the way jumps work or the number of frames per second the game runs in (They run at 50. Why do they run at 50? Who knows? They just DO.) the players will become extremely frustrated. In order to start messing around with creating a new engine or running things at different framerates you need to REALLY know what you're doing.

This is why it is super duper important for new fangame creators to use an established engine that has all of the physics already worked out. I recommend this one! https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1852.0

Additional important information for new fangame creators can be found here! https://klazen.com/IWBTG/tutorial/dev_tutorial.html and here! https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=2251.0

Best of luck with your game!

Programming Questions / Re: Spinning Circle Troubles
« on: July 26, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »
What you want to do is something like this

Code: [Select]
with objBoos
    {
            //Calculate the boo's current distance from the center (or you can just use a constant)
            var dist = point_distance(other.x, other.y, x, y);
            //Calculate the boo's current angle from the center
            var dir = point_direction(other.x, other.y, x, y);
            //Add the number of degrees of the circle you want the boos to move each step
            dir += other.RotSpeed;
            //Use trig to calculate the boo's new x and y coordinates given the new angle and using the same distance
            x = other.x + cos(degtorad(dir)) * dist;
            y = other.y - sin(degtorad(dir)) * dist;
    }

For best results the sprite origins should be in the center of the boos

Game Design / Re: GM Studio Pros and Cons
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:58:21 PM »
        • Manipulating files is annoying due to sandboxing

If anyone has a solution that lets you store your game's save files in the same directory as the application so that when the application is deleted the files don't linger on in the user's documents folder that would be appreciated.

For those interested in playing my submission please note that the game uses an integrated online leaderboard for completion time. Because the contest version of the game includes god mode and teleport, scores will be submitted to a temporary contest leaderboard. Anybody wishing to have their completion times counted on the official leaderboard will need to download the official release version of my game which does not have god mode and teleport. Saves between the two versions are not compatible.

httpss://delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_details.php?id=17329

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:18:54 PM »
Too late. I already put a reoccurring appointment on my calendar to check up on your project.  :DapperKapper:

« on: June 22, 2016, 12:12:13 PM »
No worries. I used to use FMOD in 8.1 because my tracks would always stutter when looping. In studio everything plays perfectly with the built in engine. The vast majority of fangames just play the music and maybe pitch shift on death. I think most people would consider any other manipulation of the music unusual an therefore interesting. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: I Wanna Grind MMO
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
If the amount of effort put into this post is any indication of the amount of effort you're going to put in the game I have high hopes for it.

« on: June 21, 2016, 03:51:09 PM »
So hostile  :DapperKapper:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6