Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - WetWookie

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
How about an option for people to enter their completion time when they mark the game as completed and an average completion time displayed on the page?

Put this in the End Step Event of the object being shot
Code: [Select]
with objBullet
{
    if collision_line(x,y,xprevious,yprevious,other.id,true,false)
    {
       //x=xprevious; //Optional move bullet back
       //y=yprevious;
       //move_contact_all(direction,speed);
       with other
       {
            event_perform(ev_collision,other.object_index);

}
    }
}

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »

How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?
I think there is a ton of support for creators right now during the creation phase. I don't think I've ever seen a question go unanswered in the gamemaking section of discord. As for post release I think we can do better. Every time I check twitch there are the same 5 or so games being played. It seems that when you release a game it will be played for maybe 2 days or so and then be forgotten.

Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?
As a content creator there is nothing more important to me than taking in people's criticism and using it to make my next game better. It also important to get feedback from multiple people as nothing will please everybody.

How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?I think we get an appropriate amount right now.

To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)Personally I don't really understand the draw of medleys but I'll leave that to other people. As for music, sprites and sounds, most of us simply cannot create these assets. I try to take content that is generally available without restrictions.

Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?
I would never and especially not without permission. Assets can be hard to find and I'd like to shamelessly plug this thread which I still update fairly regularly with new assets freely available to any maker. There's no excuse for generic brown blocks anymore.

To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?
I think there are a ton of good fangames that get no play. I think that makers with established reputations get a lot more leniency and attention for their releases. I think we could do with a 'game of the week' promotion on delfruit similar to the streamer of the month in order to push some of the lesser known but quality games.

To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?
I think think this is really much of a concern. We're all here because we love fangames. There's nothing stopping anyone from branching out.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Need Some Help!!!
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »
Try pressing F4.

Mirrors and kill blocks and saws (Oh My!)

Game Design / Smart Oscillating Objects
« on: November 04, 2016, 11:28:41 AM »
As a thank you to TJ for hosting his Distances, Triangles, and Trig: For Game Makers class I've decided to release something a little special.

I present to you the Smart Oscillating Object (in this case packaged as an circular saw). To use the SOO you give it minimum and maximum x and y values, a speed for each axis and then place the object in the room anywhere between. The object will automatically calculate its speed, position and direction to continue its movement in each axis as an independent sine wave by calculating the inverse sine of the distance between the center of the two extremes and the location you placed the object in the room.

In the creation code of the object you'll set the following variables
MinX = The minimum x value
MaxX = The maximum x value
MinY = The minimum y value
MaxY = The maximum y value
TimeX = The number of room steps to travel from MinX to MaxX (ie TimeX = room_speed * 2; //Travel time of 2 seconds)
TimeY = The number of room steps to travel from MinY to MaxY (ie TimeY = room_speed * 2; //Travel time of 2 seconds)
XDir = The direction to start moving in the x axis (XDir = 1; will make the object move to the right to start. XDir = -1; will make the object move to the left to start.)
YDir = The direction to start moving in the x axis (YDir = 1; will make the object move down to start. XDir = -1; will make the object move up to start.)
MoveTypeX = The type of movement in the X direction. (Setting the value to Smooth makes the object move in a sine wave and Linear makes the object move at a constant speed);
MoveTypeY = The type of movement in the Y direction. (Setting the value to Smooth makes the object move in a sine wave and Linear makes the object move at a constant speed);

In this example the two saws have been stacked on top of each other at position (480, 256)
One saw has the following creation code
(click to show/hide)
The second saw's creation code is the same except that the XDir is set to 1 to make it start moving to the right. The movement in the X axis is being done at a constant speed while the movement in the Y axis is being done in a smooth sine wave automatically calculated based on the starting position's relationship to the min and max y values.

All four of these saws share the exact same creation code but because they were each placed in one of the four corners the sine waves for each were calculated based on their individual starting position.

(click to show/hide)

I recommend adding a create event to objWorld and put in the following code
if room <> rInit
{
    show_message("objWorld");
}

Then pop through all the rooms. When you see a popup box saying objWorld you know you accidentally put an objWorld in that room.

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:06:48 PM »
Another thing I noticed is that when "game over" shows up on screen, it isn't centered. It appeared much lower on the screen and got cut off at the edge screen so I had to adjust that. Not sure if anyone else had that problem.

This happens if you create a new room instead of duplicating the template room. The template room has some view settings already set correctly that will be wrong if you make a new room instead.

Game Design / Re: Fangame Resource Library (Sprites, Tiles, Objects, etc)
« on: October 10, 2016, 01:13:37 PM »
I've started adding a section for animated shader backgrounds (with previews) in the second post of this thread.

Your room looks great SpaceH3R0  :BloodTrail:
You have nothing to feel bad about!

(click to show/hide)

« on: September 27, 2016, 04:16:15 PM »
What version of gamemaker? Studio but I believe they'll work just fine in 8 as well. Could be wrong about that though.

« on: September 26, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »
Glad you're getting use out of these.

I just added 16 more blocks and 4 spikes never used in any fangame based on two different colors of stone, acid washed denim and water. I plan to continue making and adding new assets every week or so. Please feel free to request material bases and I'll do my best to accommodate.

Don't play coy Piece. I'm sure you're going to do great on this project.

Programming Questions / Re: Boshy Spike Stand How?
« on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
Take out the code that makes the spike. Make sure that you can walk on the block object. Its parent should be objBlock.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6