Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - TheGamerGuy500

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: July 14, 2015, 09:11:04 PM »
Thanks a bundle, but by the time I saw the reply, I had already investigated the new engine's code and injected the fixed code into my current project.
Next time I'll try to do that first thing. Unless the replacement code is super obscure...

« on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:38 PM »
I've already began development with 0.8 of the engine, is there a way I can just get what code was changed so I don't have to start over?
Just the code for the platform bug fix.

Programming Questions / Re: roomChanger crashes the game
« on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
I think you gotta put onCollide=false in the roomchanger create event

Well, I could just go ahead and link up the post for my game since it is public (I'm kinda feedback-hungry :BibleThump: ) and every version will be public including the one recently released for the contest as long as it's aight with YoSniper.

EDIT: https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1403.0
Well there it is for all you curious folk out there. Judge it if you want, tell me what I should fix, tell me what's good and bad, GIVE IT TO ME STRAIGHT, DOC.

« on: July 04, 2015, 03:59:15 PM »
I'd be wanting to import a project from 8.1 and somehow kinda combine it with this engine, any way that could be possible?
EDIT: It uses the yuutuu engine and kinda relied on the "set uninitialized variables as value 0" since I'm no pro :BibleThump:
also I have the full version of studio

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *NOW ACCEPTING*
« on: June 20, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »
Eh, my "version 6" is actually just the build number of how far it was in development by the time I entered it into this contest (I had a build 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 before entering it)

After countless hours of work for the fangame contest, build 6 is here.

Game Design / Re: Gamemaker 8.1 for Windows, gone?
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
I think if you have the link the installer zip is still in the site's files and also I have a license key if anyone wants... found it on a youtube video.
EDIT: It's actually now completely gone. But if anyone needs that license key I still have it.

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *READY SET GO!*
« on: May 17, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
It's rare, and doesn't happen often, but if one single crash is a disqualification then I might not have a chance. It sucks to not know something.
I will be sure to elaborate on this rule. I don't think any games will be outright disqualified for a single rule violation this time around (like last year,) but if crashes do happen, it will most certainly affect your score in the long run.

Basically, if a judge decides that a game is "disqialified" then they just won't vote for it.

I'm trying not to scare anyone off.

But do look into your code. A while loop that tirns out to be infinite is most likely the cause of your issue. I know it would be a lot of work, but a debugging technique you might want to try is something like this for while loops:

Code: [Select]
var loopcount, MAXLOOPS;
MAXLOOPS = 100;
loopcount =0;
while (conditions) and loopcount < MAXLOOP {
    //your code like normal
    loopcount += 1;
}
if loopcount == MAXLOOP {
    show_message ("infinite loop encountered");
}

Here's the thing. I don't use 'while' anywhere unless it's part of the engine.
About how it could be tailored to some of Klazen's mentioned problems: I do use a particle system but the crash still happened in I Wanna Be Gaming (my first game) before I had GM pro which would ALLOW for particles.
I was thinking sprite creation might cause it since death blood is a sprite.
BUT on even rarer occasion just switching a room can cause it.
It could be because I run GameMaker through Windows Emulation on a mac since I'm stuck with this Macintosh.
Can't let having a Shart-Garbo Mac stop me from making a game, right? :atkCry:

Anyway, I still think I need someone who knows how Windows memory works, because the crash can even happen on my windows emulation.
The emulation software hasn't failed me very much in terms of file creation. Hell, it can even run the game at full speed 50FPS, at least for a while. Literally everything works almost exactly how GM would work on another computer.
I'd suggest getting WhatIsHang or some other Hang-debugger and finding out the issue.
This emulation software doesn't run everything but GM is one of the things that CAN operate flawlessly under it.
The question still sits, if I don't use any code with 'while' in it what could cause an infinite loop at random?

« on: May 13, 2015, 03:38:33 PM »
It is literally random and can happen on any OS, even XP, it doesn't seem to be caused by the code, because there's no way GM code can cause the game to freeze and stop responding forever. Nothing calls game_pause. It seems to happen more after a long time of playing, when the crash can occur, usually by a death or even entering a room. It might be because for some reason the game process memory decays and eventually it can't make do with its memory limit decreasing maybe. It's rare, and doesn't happen often, but if one single crash is a disqualification then I might not have a chance. It sucks to not know something.
I'd need someone who knows GM and windows memory issues that can figure out the single byte that just so happens to corrupt an EXE or something.

« on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:03 PM »
As far as I know I think my game would follow all of the rules
It does have more than one area and more than one boss although the bosses are just concepts (so they fly around and shoot, not much else yet)
Misogamy is referenced in secret 9.
A reference to mortal kombat will be added at the end of the last boss.
2 main gimmicks are mid-air hovering and the last areas have this powerup where you temporarily transform into a flying demon (totally not inspired by Wings of Vi) which is currently available in the debug mode. If that doesn't count then boost arrows (rocket the player in a single direction) would be the second gimmick.
The game has so many debug features it's unreal, which include free-fly, and rightclick in freefly to teleport, spawning objects, and etc.
Collectible items are definitely a thing, planning for 20 different collectible characters and 10 different weapons to change up how and where you can save your game at.
Whew.
...yeah, I'd say your game more than qualifies. I look forward to seeing it.
BUT... the random-rare-crash-on-death bug still exists, and I still don't know what causes it so I'm kinda scared. :BibleThump:

« on: May 10, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
As far as I know I think my game would follow all of the rules
It does have more than one area and more than one boss although the bosses are just concepts (so they fly around and shoot, not much else yet)
Misogamy is referenced in secret 9.
A reference to mortal kombat will be added at the end of the last boss.
2 main gimmicks are mid-air hovering and the last areas have this powerup where you temporarily transform into a flying demon (totally not inspired by Wings of Vi) which is currently available in the debug mode. If that doesn't count then boost arrows (rocket the player in a single direction) would be the second gimmick.
The game has so many debug features it's unreal, which include free-fly, and rightclick in freefly to teleport, spawning objects, and etc.
Collectible items are definitely a thing, planning for 20 different collectible characters and 10 different weapons to change up how and where you can save your game at.
Whew.

How do I get past the emergency notice? Shift does nothing. If I press R, I will spawn in the top left of the screen and fall to my death.
I was just about to update on that.
Press shift after the EOM tones (3 shorter static bursts) and the second message starts playing, that is when you can skip it, alternatively disable the music (CTRL-M) to skip the whole first message and then press shift to get past it.

Whew, that took a while.
New build is available.

General Games / Re: I ban you because...
« on: March 11, 2015, 03:04:47 PM »
Banned for lightening up a bit :Kappa:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5