Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - TheGamerGuy500

Pages: [1]
Gameplay & Discussion / Fangame Soundtracks.
« on: July 07, 2016, 10:07:34 PM »
(Not sure if this is the section to post it, I haven't seen otherwise...)
We all know most fangames have music, some of it's good, some's bad, some you really like! But the readme doesn't contain any track names and decompilers don't work!
Well, that's the reason I've started this discussion. For any fangames that have really interesting music and maybe someone has the answers.

I'll start it off with...
Meteor stream's night-time music (during the star shower segment and title screen in particular).
Hearty Jewel's stage 3 and stage 3 boss and stage 4 musics.
Clear The Fifty Floors' Stage 33 music and stage 50 music.
Travel The Mario World's autoscrolling night area.
Wanna Be The Snow's title screen.
8-Bit's stage 3 c (assuming that's part 3 of stage 3.) and part 1 of stage 3.
Best Guy 3's stage 2, stage 3 boss, stage 5, final boss, and death wish boss 5.

If anyone out there has the info for this, I'd love to know.
Anyway, this thread is also for anyone else who has questions like this. Maybe others would be kind enough to share the knowledge with us?

This screenie should tell you how I set it up, of course with me blindly thinking that this would, I dunno, WORK?
Anyway, I'd like some assistance with making this work if you would please...

You might have to just visit https://prntscr.com/a3q05z to see a zoomed in version of it.
The image should tell you all you need to know.

"Lots of removed spaces so just" means I just put a lot of spaces to hide any irrelevant code. Forgot to finish typing that.

I've also tried using surfaces and that works UNTIL YOU SHIFT THE CAMERA and then everything goes black. In fullscreen, it moves the whole camera an entire screen to the left or right. In the normal window, it's just black. https://prntscr.com/a3qduo

Programming Questions / Ice Physics...
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
It's that time of year, when snow and cold temperatures turn lakes into skating rinks.
I'd like to know how to get the ice physics from yuutuu into GM:studio.
But not just no ordinary ice physics though, I was thinking of the kind of physics for when you touch the ice, you get slippery controls even in the air, until you land on a non-ice block, if that's possible.
pls n thx

As a side project while I waited for the full results to see how well Anarchistificationator did, I started work on this game.
Anarchistificationator bombed. Horribly. Not even in the top 5 of the contest. Special thanks to ParagusRants for putting my game on his top 5 though. :atkHappy: The project was abandoned on the contest judging days of this year.

It is a fangame that is kinda really story-based with a lot of dialog, while still maintaining fangame uh.... assets. Also, it's heavily inspired by the early prototypes of Wings of Vi, as well as Undertale, Shantae, Mega Man, and Mother 3.
Anyway, onto what it's all about.
This is the story of the 500th Gamer Guy of his kind. He wakes up in his house, right before his brother goes out to get the groceries this week when out of literal nowhere his brother disappears and so does lots of the landscape.

Anywho, to the good stuff.

First, the changelog.
(click to show/hide)
Next, screenshots for viewing pleasure.
(click to show/hide)

I'd like you to to test this, and tell me how I did. All feedback is appreciated and will shape the game in due time.
Now for the actual testing part. Click this here text to download it. Tell me what you think.

Don't let one review make you think you shouldn't post your feedback. ALL feedback is welcome.
Oh by the way, extract the files to a folder first, this was made using Klazen's GM:S engine, so saves are pretty fragile.

Programming Questions / Saving and loading new variables in GM:Studio
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
I know I'm giving up my novice GM-coding level by making this and going back to beginner, but...
Saving and loading variables (specifically arrays) seems to be harder than expected.
So I gotta know.
What in bloody blazes do I have to do to get a global.clear variable to work for my game?
With Klazen's Studio Engine...
The saving script:
Code: [Select]
var f,n;

dyingSave = argument0

n=EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(global.savenum);

if (FS_file_exists(n)) {
    f=FS_file_bin_open(n,2);
} else {
    f=FS_file_bin_open(n,1);
}

FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,global.death);
FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,global.time);
if (!dyingSave) { //only save death,time for dying save
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.difficulty);
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,room);
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,round(x));
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,round(y));
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,player.image_xscale+1); //+1 so -1=0, 1=2; bytes have no sign
    //new values go under here
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.hasPartner); //just a thing for the game I'm making
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.clear[global.savenum]);   //if this isn't an array then it will crash the game at the file select
}

FS_file_bin_close(f);
Loading script:
var f,r,xx,yy,xs;

f = FS_file_bin_open(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(global.savenum),0);
global.death = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
global.time = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
global.difficulty = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
r = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
xx = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
yy = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
xs = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f)-1; //see saveGame to see why -1
//new values go under here
global.hasPartner = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
global.clear[global.savenum] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f); //again, it will crash the game or just not save if it's not an array

FS_file_bin_close(f);

room_goto(r);

if (!instance_exists(player)) {
    instance_create(xx,yy,player);
} else {
    player.x=xx;
    player.y=yy;
}
player.image_xscale=xs;
For some freakin' reason, even though it's in the order that klazen specified, this variable wants to choose whichever room you save in last as the clear value.

world create event:
// Init Other
timeCounter = 0;

// Init Menu Globals
for (i=1;i<=3;i++) {
    global.menuDeath[i] = 0;
    global.menuTime[i] = 0;
    global.menuDiff[i] = 0;
    global.clear[i] = 0;
}

// Checks Save Files
for(i = 1; i <= 3; i += 1){
    if(FS_file_exists(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(i)) == true){
        f = FS_file_bin_open(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(i),0);

// Load Data
        global.menuDeath[i] = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
        global.menuTime[i] = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
        global.menuDiff[i] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
        global.clear[i] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);

FS_file_bin_close(f);
    }
}

guiTimer=0; //time before GUI appears
guiOffset=0; //position of GUI

global.buildNumber = "Build 2";

Please tell me what I did wrong, as it's delaying the release of the game to some friends that want it (although I don't expect you to care).

The problem: the clear variable never saves correctly. if I take out the square brackets, the clear variable will save as a variable instead of an array, even if it's for one save file. Then, at the file select, it will try to index a variable that isn't an array, resulting in an immediate crash. But even when this is an array it saves just the room number of where you last saved. Everything else saves correctly. It crashes at the file select without the square brackets because I have if global.clear[number_of_file] = 1 then display "complete" under the file and removing the square brackets makes that just a variable and not an array. What do?
Also to set the clear to 1:

Not too long after the canning of I Wanna Be Gaming, I realized that I could make something good if I start from scratch.

Enter I Wanna Be The Anarchistificationator. A typical 100 Floor game with inspiration from Wings of Vi, Not Another Needle Game, and many others. You'll find references to these games.
Each group of 10 floors will have their own theme and song.
I'll figure out what else to write here as I progress in development.
I will attempt to fix anything bad that the community points out, but please don't expect perfection :atkCry: .
Oh yeah about the emergency broadcast thing in the intro, you can skip the whole thing by disabling the music (CTRL-M) twice, or wait until the second message after the EOM (3 shorter beeps) sounds, then press shift.
Without further ado, here's some screenshots.
(click to show/hide)
I'll be looking forward to feedback on what's good and what's bad. Constructive criticism is appreciated.
Try it out by clicking here.
CHANGELOG! (This stuff is a good read)
(click to show/hide)
Also a dev blog video showcasing what I've been working on recently.
(click to show/hide)

PROJECT CANNED DUE TO MASSIVE FAILURE.
I got a bit bored in game maker and then I decided to begin making an actual game with the knowledge that I have obtained.
This is a prototype, just to see what needs to stay and what needs to go. There will be more to come soon.
I would like to see what everyone thinks so far of the game, some of the levels might look bad but I'll rework on those later.
Also it's designed more on introducing new players to the mechanics of Fangames for the first parts.
So without further ado, I'll just link up the game. It's sorta complete, has an ending but it is still a WIP, so here you go.
httpss://www.dropbox.com/s/wnobrfhf56c53l1/I%20Wanna%20Be%20Gaming%21%20PA2.zip?dl=0
The game is mostly about concepts and ideas that I have had over the years but some are gonna be hard to implement, so this isn't a real serious game just yet (ahem escape sequence)
SCREENIES!
(click to show/hide)
Reminder: It IS a prototype and there will be fixes to certain aspects in here later, along with fixes and such based on your comments. I'll have this topic open and reloading regularly to see new feedback. I've got a lot of time on my hands to make this the best damn game I've ever made.
CHANGELOG!
(click to show/hide)

Pages: [1]