Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - TheGamerGuy500

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Programming Questions / Re: Ice Physics...
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:52:22 PM »
I'll see to it. I think that explanation and code modification is pretty much all I needed. Thanks a bundle, mate!

Programming Questions / Re: Ice Physics...
« on: November 15, 2015, 09:02:40 PM »
Hey, I implemented this real quick. The gist of it is I kept a state variable in the player called "slipping", which keeps track of if a player jumped off an ice block or not. I started off with my barebones project, and I marked my changes to the player's step event with comments starting with // PATRICK. Let me know if you have any questions I guess. :)

Um, yeah I have a question. I looked through the code, and your player step event is different in structure than mine. Do you think there's an easy way to combine it with Klazen's engine player object without a huge hassle? I'm just wondering, like, where would these code snippets even go?
Here's my player step event.
Code: [Select]
///Movement and Controls
var L,R,h;

// Check if pressing left/right || 左右のキー入力のチェック
L = keyboard_check_direct(global.leftbutton);
R = keyboard_check_direct(global.rightbutton);

// If pressing right, go right || 右ボタンを押していれば右
// If not pressing right, and pressing left, go left || 右ボタンを押していない状態で左ボタンを押していれば左
h = R;
if (h == 0) h = -L;
// If frozen, don't move || frozenに値が入っていれば行動禁止
if (frozen == true) h = 0;

// If we're moving || 左右の移動
if (h != 0) {
    // Set speed based on direction and maxSpeed || 走っている状態にする
    hspeed = maxSpeed*h;
    // 画像の左右を指定(負が入ると画像が左右反転する)
    //flip=(image_xscale!=h);
    xScale = h;
    //image_xscale = h;

// Set the sprite to the running sprite || 走っている画像に変更
    sprite_index = sprPlayerRunning;
    image_speed = 0.5;
} else {
    // Set speed to zero || 直立状態にする
    hspeed = 0;
    // Set the sprite to the idle sprite || 直立画像に変更
    sprite_index = sprPlayerIdle;
    image_speed = 0.2;
}

if (!onPlatform) {
    // Set the sprite to jumping/falling if we're moving vertically and were not on a platform || ジャンプ・落下画像に変更
    if (vspeed < -0.05) {
        sprite_index = sprPlayerJump;
    }
    if (vspeed > 0.05) {
        sprite_index = sprPlayerFall;
    }
} else { // If we were on a platform, but we're not anymore, then set onPlatform to false || 動く台に乗ってる状態から解除された瞬間
    if (place_meeting(x,y+4,platform) == false) {
        onPlatform = 0;
    }
}

// Limit vspeed || vspeedが最大値を超えたら、最大値に固定
if (vspeed > maxVspeed) {
    vspeed = maxVspeed;
}

// If not frozen || frozenに値が入っていない(行動可能)
if (!frozen) {
    // Shoot || プレイヤーの攻撃
    if (keyboard_check_pressed(global.shotbutton)) {
        playerShoot();
    }
    // Jump || ジャンプ(押した)
    if (keyboard_check_pressed(global.jumpbutton)) {
        playerJump();
    }
    // Jump Release || ジャンプ(離した)
    if (keyboard_check_released(global.jumpbutton)) {
        playerVJump();
    }
}
Ours seem vastly different from one another.

Programming Questions / Ice Physics...
« on: November 15, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
It's that time of year, when snow and cold temperatures turn lakes into skating rinks.
I'd like to know how to get the ice physics from yuutuu into GM:studio.
But not just no ordinary ice physics though, I was thinking of the kind of physics for when you touch the ice, you get slippery controls even in the air, until you land on a non-ice block, if that's possible.
pls n thx

New version is out, I already know about the sand area's improperly layered sand. Whoops.
Also tell me if the new physics are bugged. New GM-Studio meant new physics.

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be the Engine KS Edition (For GMStudio)
« on: September 26, 2015, 05:05:59 PM »
Well this isn't really an engine problem but it is something that I think a few people might run into, and would like a way to just kinda get rid of it. I haven't really seen anyone talk about it because it is a fresh new update for GMS.
So, resizing blocks is suddenly a pain in the ass sometimes, because just whenever GMS feels like it, not even snapping to the grid that the room is assigned when resizing a block.
For instance: 32x32 grid, click in the room editor on a block, click and drag to resize, resizes to a multiple of NOT 32, resulting in blocks with like y-scale 2.19.

Uh, I guess a screenshot might help.

Notice: No ALT-key was used as well as the room having a 32x32 snap

Thanks again for the feedback mate.

I added a slash attack to the lightning-only attack to make it less spam-to-win so you'd have to still be on the lookout for the slash thingy.
I will remove the boss' sword slash attacks that give you no time to react, as well as the second moving spike block.
As for the graphics, I will revise them again for the areas where the spikes are hard to see.
As for the health he has, well... the equation for that is 7 - (difficultylevel times 2) on psychopath mode he has 100 health, on wayfarer, it's like 30, and newcomer it's like 23? He starts with 100 health and you deal kinda large chunks of it unless you're on a high difficulty. I think all the bosses will be like this but some will have shot cooldown timers like Wings Of Vi's Myougi 2 where you can't hurt them for a bit.
The mask guy will have completely different attack patterns + some new things the second time you fight him ala Black Knight rematch style.

I do thank you for being a loyal tester and hope for more of your feedback as well as other people's feedbacks.

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hello!
« on: August 22, 2015, 08:26:39 PM »
Oh man Geogaddi, The only reason I know about that album was music-junkie-ing from Hereditary Baldness 2. I like the song he used in that game and it comes from Geogaddi.

Unfinished / Incomplete / Re: A Gamer's Journey [Early Alpha]
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:29:17 PM »
Thanks for the review, it is an alpha and all 12 of my playtesters didn't really have many complaints about the design, most of them are casuals hence the newcomer mode and its blocks.
I meant for the story to go towards how the mask guy was placing all these spikes along the way hence why they're all mostly the same.
I'll go back and re-tell the storyline a bit.
Honestly, I actually kinda rushed the cloud area because my playtesters were nagging me. I see that it's kinda repetitive, and I will revisit it in due time.
Most of the tileset is from Everybody Edits, which the owners don't mind if it's used for the game, which is why some of the tiles might not go together simply because the tilesets were just kinda made as the game progressed, for example, the background grass in the first area was added much after the grass that I was using for the floor.
I might incorporate the cloud area to be more platform puzzle-ish, I have almost no other ideas for it. :BibleThump:
So I need to revisit the cloud area, decorate the labyrinth and make the story short-and-sweet in a nutshell. I think I could do that.
I stream developing this game often, so maybe you could stop by and see like just what I was thinking while making this to maybe get a better understanding as to why everything is in its place perhaps.
I'll add signs throughout the game that will be kinda dev commentary-ish things that should give users a better understanding of why things are in their place.
Also yes I did stream HB2 a while back. :Kappa:

As a side project while I waited for the full results to see how well Anarchistificationator did, I started work on this game.
Anarchistificationator bombed. Horribly. Not even in the top 5 of the contest. Special thanks to ParagusRants for putting my game on his top 5 though. :atkHappy: The project was abandoned on the contest judging days of this year.

It is a fangame that is kinda really story-based with a lot of dialog, while still maintaining fangame uh.... assets. Also, it's heavily inspired by the early prototypes of Wings of Vi, as well as Undertale, Shantae, Mega Man, and Mother 3.
Anyway, onto what it's all about.
This is the story of the 500th Gamer Guy of his kind. He wakes up in his house, right before his brother goes out to get the groceries this week when out of literal nowhere his brother disappears and so does lots of the landscape.

Anywho, to the good stuff.

First, the changelog.
(click to show/hide)
Next, screenshots for viewing pleasure.
(click to show/hide)

I'd like you to to test this, and tell me how I did. All feedback is appreciated and will shape the game in due time.
Now for the actual testing part. Click this here text to download it. Tell me what you think.

Don't let one review make you think you shouldn't post your feedback. ALL feedback is welcome.
Oh by the way, extract the files to a folder first, this was made using Klazen's GM:S engine, so saves are pretty fragile.

Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2015 *RESULTS*
« on: August 14, 2015, 12:04:51 PM »
I shall be using the results of this year to determine if I should continue my entry as a full game or abandon it completely for my new side project.

That actually worked. Thanks a bundle, mate :atkHappy: !
I think I see how the menu(variable) things work, but I was skeptical why menuClear could just, work automatically without some translation from variable clear to menuClear. The translation is in the order that it reads things.

« on: July 27, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
[Well, I did just that.] Hope I can get some help here.

Programming Questions / Saving and loading new variables in GM:Studio
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
I know I'm giving up my novice GM-coding level by making this and going back to beginner, but...
Saving and loading variables (specifically arrays) seems to be harder than expected.
So I gotta know.
What in bloody blazes do I have to do to get a global.clear variable to work for my game?
With Klazen's Studio Engine...
The saving script:
var f,n;

dyingSave = argument0

n=EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(global.savenum);

if (FS_file_exists(n)) {
    f=FS_file_bin_open(n,2);
} else {
    f=FS_file_bin_open(n,1);
}

FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,global.death);
FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,global.time);
if (!dyingSave) { //only save death,time for dying save
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.difficulty);
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,room);
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,round(x));
    FS_file_bin_write_dword(f,round(y));
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,player.image_xscale+1); //+1 so -1=0, 1=2; bytes have no sign
    //new values go under here
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.hasPartner); //just a thing for the game I'm making
    FS_file_bin_write_byte(f,global.clear[global.savenum]);   //if this isn't an array then it will crash the game at the file select
}

FS_file_bin_close(f);
Loading script:
var f,r,xx,yy,xs;

f = FS_file_bin_open(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(global.savenum),0);
global.death = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
global.time = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
global.difficulty = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
r = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
xx = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
yy = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
xs = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f)-1; //see saveGame to see why -1
//new values go under here
global.hasPartner = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
global.clear[global.savenum] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f); //again, it will crash the game or just not save if it's not an array

FS_file_bin_close(f);

room_goto(r);

if (!instance_exists(player)) {
    instance_create(xx,yy,player);
} else {
    player.x=xx;
    player.y=yy;
}
player.image_xscale=xs;
For some freakin' reason, even though it's in the order that klazen specified, this variable wants to choose whichever room you save in last as the clear value.

world create event:
// Init Other
timeCounter = 0;

// Init Menu Globals
for (i=1;i<=3;i++) {
    global.menuDeath[i] = 0;
    global.menuTime[i] = 0;
    global.menuDiff[i] = 0;
    global.clear[i] = 0;
}

// Checks Save Files
for(i = 1; i <= 3; i += 1){
    if(FS_file_exists(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(i)) == true){
        f = FS_file_bin_open(EXECUTABLE_DIRECTORY + 'save' + string(i),0);

// Load Data
        global.menuDeath[i] = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
        global.menuTime[i] = FS_file_bin_read_dword(f);
        global.menuDiff[i] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);
        global.clear[i] = FS_file_bin_read_byte(f);

FS_file_bin_close(f);
    }
}

guiTimer=0; //time before GUI appears
guiOffset=0; //position of GUI

global.buildNumber = "Build 2";

Please tell me what I did wrong, as it's delaying the release of the game to some friends that want it (although I don't expect you to care).

The problem: the clear variable never saves correctly. if I take out the square brackets, the clear variable will save as a variable instead of an array, even if it's for one save file. Then, at the file select, it will try to index a variable that isn't an array, resulting in an immediate crash. But even when this is an array it saves just the room number of where you last saved. Everything else saves correctly. It crashes at the file select without the square brackets because I have if global.clear[number_of_file] = 1 then display "complete" under the file and removing the square brackets makes that just a variable and not an array. What do?
Also to set the clear to 1:

« on: July 26, 2015, 01:31:29 PM »
Well, for some reason the clear variable changes back to a variable instead of an array and throws an error upon loading a started file stating that it tries to index a variable that isn't an array. Would I have to do some complex array stuffs in the saving and loading scripts?

EDIT: Put the actual arrays in the saving script, but now when I save the game and look at the debugger, a non-completed game has a clear value of 10 and completed has 15 when I specified neither of these numbers for the clear array. I feel like such an idiot. :BibleThump:

EDIT 2: Well that's actually the number of room that the user saved in, even when following that tutorial, it still doesn't save the actual global clear variable correctly.

« on: July 25, 2015, 06:41:32 PM »
How would I add my own values to the saveGame script? I've tried many things, and some just change another value upon loading, but this new value just never saves even when I have it in the saveGame script with the same syntax as everything else.

EDIT: Whoops. Something else kept resetting that value. It wasn't a fault with the saving script, but placing the value at the bottom before file_bin_close seems to work, would still love to see the suggested retail price (aka best method) for how to do that.

Also how would I add something to the file select for it to display a string of where the character last saved e.g. "grass area" underneath? Maybe also a global.clear to say "complete" under a completed save file? (i've been trying for literal hours and no success. Arrays are too complex apparently.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5