Fangames > Unfinished / Incomplete

I Wanna Be The Rex - Early Alpha

<< < (3/5) > >>

pieceofcheese87:
Why bother asking for criticism then if you're going to ignore what you don't want to hear?
I never told you to give up. I'm saying to get more experience with game making before you take on a project such as this.
But as I can see you're not going to listen to me, so go ahead.

WetWookie:
I'm looking for feedback on what I've made so far so I can correct them and avoid the same mistakes going forward. A list of things that you did or did not like would be much more helpful then telling me to stop making this game and get better at making games by making a different game first.

Joni:

--- Quote from: WetWookie on March 30, 2015, 10:35:55 PM ---I'm looking for feedback on what I've made so far so I can correct them and avoid the same mistakes going forward. A list of things that you did or did not like would be much more helpful then telling me to stop making this game and get better at making games by making a different game first.

--- End quote ---
How would that be more helpful? Because you are already 100% committed to the idea of producing this game?
Look at it this way: By the point that you have finished 80% of the game, your gamemaking skills will have improved significantly and you will have to redo the first 40% because they are way below what you can produce by that point. This hermeneutic cycle of learning happens to everyone but the better you become, the less significant the increase in gamemaking skill is going to be, so that you will only apply minor changes to earlier stages, because relatively you have improved little.

So you can obv start working on this game right away, but most probably will redo every single screen you create in the beginning either way (after improving a lot, you yourself will not want them to be part of your game, let alone the beginning part, since it arguably is the most important part), which means this work will just go to waste. Or you heed Piece's advice and start a different project to hone your skills, that while not being up to your standards anymore after you are done, will at least not just "go to waste", as you can keep it, since it will not be a part in a big game that is of lower quality.

That's just my 2 cents though, obviously you can do whatever you want.

WetWookie:
I am fine with going back and fixing earlier portions of the game as I learn.

WetWookie:
Big update: The game is a lot longer now with 4 rooms (+1 secret) before the first boss followed by 4 more rooms and a 2nd boss. The secret room contains an item that changes the player skin and gives the player a bullet time ability and a butt slam (dodge) ability.

There are some development/testing tools left in this build if you choose to use them. The 1 key will move you to the previous room. The 2 key will move you to the next room. (exceptions to the 1 and 2 keys are the prologue, secret room and the room after the last boss) The G key will give you god mode. The H key will create a save at your current position. Right clicking your mouse will teleport you to your cursor. WARNING. Be careful using save anywhere and teleport. This game uses triggers to open and close up paths. Bypassing these triggers by teleporting past or saving and loading past these triggers will affect your game play experience.

https://www.mediafire.com/?366p0kaa6tg6cci
I recommend not using your old control and save files if you played the first release.

Feedback welcome!

Screenshots
(click to show/hide)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version