Fangames > Unfinished / Incomplete

I Wanna Be The Rex - Early Alpha

<< < (2/5) > >>

BBF:
If you are unfamiliar with platforming I highly suggest getting someone more knowledgeable in case you are unsure about something. You should really know how standard jumps (Gates, diagonals, Corners, F-Jumps) work inside and out to put them into interesting positions for platforming.

Alternatively, you can use Record my Jumps to test something you want to put into the game a ton to make sure everything is possible.

pieceofcheese87:
I think you're in over your head on this one. You can't just open up game maker for the first time and create a masterpiece fangame.
There are so many things wrong with the first few screens, but let me go over something first.

A guy requires at least one of these three things to be considered "good"

* Fun valuePlain and simple, it needs to be fun. While some people's view on fun can vary, I think we all agree that tediousness is not fun.
What you have put together is a tediously designed set of rooms that just aren't fun.

* Entertainment valueA game should be entertaining to watch. This can be achieved in multiple ways, whether it be funny traps, cool gimmicks, interesting bosses, etc.

* Production valueProduction value is how good the game looks, the effects, the backgrounds, the sprites, all that stuff. Production value can help a terribly designed game become tolerable. You see, brown blocks and a simple 2 color background isn't going to cut it. Some japanese developers would disagree, but you're making a game for a popular streamer on twitch.
Do you think a game such as boshy would be so popular if it was all brown blocks and pastel backgrounds? Of course not. Production value is a very hard thing to master, and it requires practice, which brings me to my main point.

I understand that you just want to have some fun by trying out something new for someone you watch, but making a game like this takes effort and time. Unfortunately, you can't spend 2 days on a game and pop out a masterpiece. If you want to take game making seriously, try your hand at something smaller first. Slapping someone's name on a game does not make it good.

WetWookie:
I'm not going to just give up... I said in the opening post that the art is already planned for replacement. I'm not intending this to be a masterpiece and you seem to forget that everyone has a first project.

I tried to avoid any tedium by switching the style of hazards. The first half of the first room is precise jumping. The second have is less precise jumping but with some avoidance thrown in. The second room is avoidance plus path finding.

If you have any more specific feedback I'd be glad to work with it.

kilgour22:

--- Quote from: WetWookie on March 30, 2015, 03:04:35 PM ---I tried to avoid any tedium by switching the style of hazards. The first half of the first room is precise jumping. The second have is less precise jumping but with some avoidance thrown in. The second room is avoidance plus path finding.

--- End quote ---
If you think that's precise jumping you've got a lot to learn. The fact that you weren't sure if a diagonal was possible because you couldn't do it is slightly painful... please have more experience with fangames before attempting to make something hard.

Also, those that listen to the advice of others that have a lot of experience become great gamemakers. Those that get defensive and are not open to constructive criticism don't last very long.

One final thing: have you asked BRex for permission to use his name in your game? You may not have considered that he possibly doesn't want his name chucked onto a game without being asked.

PS: Second screen. Add a save on the ground so you don't have to walk the entire length of the screen before being able to give another attempt.

WetWookie:
I'm not getting defensive but if the advice is 'give up because this is your first game and can't possibly make a masterpiece' then it's not helpful advice. I'm well aware that I have work to do but surely you can see the difference between Sudnep's feedback and pieceofcheese87's post.

Yes. BRex is well aware of the game and seems pretty hyped about it.

Will add a ground save on second screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version