Fangames > Unfinished / Incomplete

I Wanna Be The Rex - Early Alpha

(1/5) > >>

WetWookie:
This is a game I'm making for Bananasaurus Rex, a beloved twitch speedrunner. https://www.twitch.tv/bananasaurus_rex/profile
This game is meant to be very difficult. The salt must flow!
This game is in early alpha and I'm looking for feedback on current difficulty, bugs, design, etc before I go much further.
This is my first fan game and I'm open to suggestions.
It will be helpful to me if you reply to this post with completion times and death counts for each room as well as letting me know what you like and dislike.

Update 5/9/15
Big update: The game is a lot longer now with 4 rooms (+1 secret) before the first boss followed by 4 more rooms and a 2nd boss. The secret room contains an item that changes the player skin and gives the player a bullet time ability and a butt slam (dodge) ability.

There are some development/testing tools left in this build if you choose to use them. The 1 key will move you to the previous room. The 2 key will move you to the next room. (exceptions to the 1 and 2 keys are the prologue, secret room and the room after the last boss) The G key will give you god mode. The H key will create a save at your current position. Right clicking your mouse will teleport you to your cursor. WARNING. Be careful using save anywhere and teleport. This game uses triggers to open and close up paths. Bypassing these triggers by teleporting past or saving and loading past these triggers will affect your game play experience.

Feedback welcome!

Screenshots
(click to show/hide)

Sudnep:
Fix the sizes of the room (I believe it's the init room) so when you restart the screen doesn't shake. This forces the game to recenter to the center of the screen.

The first save shoots apples at me and then restarted me at the beginning of the room. It saved me in the room but not my x and y values. I'm sort of guessing this is 'intended'. If I died before this you teleport to the cut scene instead. I'm not sure which is intended.

Distinguish the difference between roll saves and regular save points. Most people do this but changing the text and making some funny troll that pops out but when I shoot a save without any indicators that just kills me it's not interesting, fun, or enjoyable in any way.

Why nerf the diagonal on the first screen?
The fake block(s) should be a block that disappears after touching. Not just a missing block.

Boss is kind of boring and extremely easy when doing it from the bottom.

The game isn't as hard as you think but making a hard game isn't necessarily fun to play. A game can be 'salt inducing' without being over the top in difficulty. Look at example games such as I wanna go Bananas or I wanna be the DareJar for examples since I think these are the type of games you had in mind for making.

Also please go to Global Game Settings and enable fullscreen on F4 press. (Resource Tab > Change Global Game Settings > Other > Check "Let <F4> switch between screen modes.")

Edit(s): Grammar errors and clarification.

WetWookie:
Awesome feedback.
Yes the first (and third) saves are fake troll saves. I'll add an indication that it is intentional.
Dying before saving should not take you back to the cut scene. Will look into.

--- Quote ---Why nerf the diagonal on the first screen?
--- End quote ---
Which particular jump is that? It was probably that unnerfed I couldn't do the jump and so I wasn't sure it was possible and erred on the side of caution.

Will take advice on disappearing as opposed to simply fake blocks.

Will add some diversity to the boss to encourage player mobility and hopefully make it less boring.

Sudnep:
This jump, it's pushed into the block slightly.
(click to show/hide)

WetWookie:
Yes. I had moved the top spike into the ceiling a bit because I was unable to perform it as it was and wasn't sure if it was possible. I'll move it back for the next alpha.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version