Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Tamatou

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Programming Questions / Re: Executing a Code after the Music Stops
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:46:33 PM »
Thank you for the Reply

I know how to stop sounds and how to destory instances but what I want is GM to execute a code (or just do something) after a song finishied playing.

I load the songs externally so I use this code:
Code: [Select]
dice = round(random(6))

[code]dice = round(random(6))

if dice = 0
{
audio_playmusic(paul_chuck);
}

if dice = 1
{
audio_playmusic(lucky_star);
}

if dice = 2
{
audio_playmusic(hey_arnold);
}

if dice = 3
{
audio_playmusic(katy_kat);
}

if dice = 4
{
audio_playmusic(super_mario);
}

if dice = 5
{
audio_playmusic(guru_ant);
}

if dice = 6
{
audio_playmusic(andante);
}

of corse alot more songs will be added.
What I want is GM to execute this same code (with slight alterations but that is not the point) again after one song finished playing.

I know I could do this with alarms but that would be a bit exhausting since all the songs are a different lengh (frame count) I just want GM to know when a song is done and make it choose the next one.

Programming Questions / Executing a Code after the Music Stops
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:24:29 PM »
Hello old friends!

I am making a Avoidance Medley with songs in a random order. Kinda like "I Wanna care about the Asteriod River"

Stupid Question, but how do I make the next song play, after the first one finished.
Like I want GM to execute a Code after a song finished that destroys all the cherries and chooses the next song randomly
I know how to make it choose a random song but how do I make it execute a code after a song finished playing?

Interducing I Wanna Kill The BLB 2
This is the first Screen and it is very unfinished
Turbostart:

Engines / Re: I wanna be the engine Nikaple Edition
« on: October 23, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
Great engine
But they way Warps work I find a bit confusing.
I get a "unexisting room number" error when trying to load the game so I had to start over.

So it turns out more than 75% of my first game was only the music. There were only like 5 songs but they were in WAV.

But even without the music the first game was 50 Megabyte wich is just too much.

2 Questions regarding sprites:
-Does unsing a Tile Set help? Or should I just create a new sprite for every block like I did in the first game?
-When importing Sprites, is PNG a better choice then Bitmap?

Thank youu <3  :atkLove:

Edit:
Also doesn't unsing a Sound Engine make the whole music problem obsolet?
Or does it still matter not using big WAV Files even with externally loading them with a Sound Engine?

Thank you for your Advice so far.

I've never used the Draw Function so far. But it seems this function is pretty imprortant. I haven't really looked into it on how to use it and what to use it for. But I'll will try my best to get the hang of it.  :atkHappy:

The second game will feature ALOT more Dialoge and Cutscenes. These might be a problem memory wise.
Overall the second game will be about 5 times bigger than the first

Programming Questions / Advice on how to keep the Game File size small
« on: October 15, 2015, 08:33:29 PM »
Hello my dear Fellows!

The amount of reactions to my Fangame really got me motivated and got me to start working on the sequel.

But I don't wanna make the same mistakes twice.
As you might know my first fangame's file size was insanly big. About 250 Mega Byte if I remember correctly.
Near the end of development the game constantly got me "Out of Memory" Error Messages and it was just a pain carry on finishing the game.

So what are the things I have to watch out for keeping the file size minimal?
I'm using Nikaple Engine this time (wich is really really awesome)

Don't be afraid to go into detail  :atkHappy:
Stuff I've been told to do + questions
-Loading Sprites and Music externally (does this aply to every single sprite I put in the game or only the really big ones?)
-Is it recommendable to use MP3 insted of WAV and something other than Bitmap for sprites?
-When using really big sprites that cover the whole screen, should I scale these sprites by code and have the actual sprite smaller?

Thank you in advance  :atkLove:

User-Made Creations / Re: I Wanna Kill The BLB [Shukuteki Tamatou]
« on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »

well i mean, even when you load everything internally, a file size THAT large usually means the game has A LOT of songs or some unusual resource like a video or large gifs ;p
Actually Sailor Mars is just a normal sprite but maybe because it is so big and has so many frames of animation it takes up alot of space.

ahah that sucks, you could add like a divine shield that fades off or something
Well the player shouldn't know that he is invincible. I made that just because if a player with very good button mashing ability would play, he would totally destroy tamatou befor he could even say most of his lines. I made that so that every player would take about the same time of fighting him. As I've said, you aren't ment to die on this phase anymore but still it should feel very difficult and stressful because you are ment to think that he has a ton of HP while you are actually pretty much guarenteed to kill him.

now well... if you know something is bad design, don't do it, people won't like it. i don't take it personally though, i guess you have at least some potential~
Yeah, I'll try to remember that for the next game  :atkHappy:
Sometimes I just have stupid ideas wich I can't bring myself to not do, even tough I know they're stupid ^~^

« on: October 11, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
i dont get the hate, its pretty much a real game (or at least more of a real game than many others) :o the only things i'd say are

- DONT USE YOSNIPER ENGINE PHYSICS
- fehlstart sucks
- the graphics in steal candy and daim are painful to look at
- sailor mars FTW (thats probably the reason why the file size is so huge i guess)
- that tomato phase HP god damn

boss is otherwise pretty good, though the hitboxes are weird and the attacks arent balanced

playthrough video https://www.twitch.tv/fate/v/20259732 gg

Thank you soo much for this Speed Run. This game is not very speedrun friendly especially because of Fehlstart.
I'll use another engine for part 2 (wich I will try to put more effort into designing the screens, it's gonna take a long time until its finished thogh if at all)

Most of the custom graphics were drawn by my 12 year old sister. So yeah. They are what they are.
The game's file size is so big because everything is loaded internally. I wasn't aware of how externally loading works until very late in development. But I appreciate that you like sailor mars. I had to cut out each individuall frame of animation from a gif wich took forever

Actually Tamatou is invincible until a the "Schneller" Font appears then he takes 40 shots. And on the Angry Tamatou Phase it's the same thing. I know this is bad game design but I wanted that lase phase to feel really intense but not difficult. But yeah i can see it beeing kinda tedious on the second time

The Hitboxes on the Sailor Mars Fireballs are a bit too big the other hitboxes should be fine actually. My brother a friend and me recently played the game in our stream and debatet about wich of the 3 boss attack patterns are the hardest and easiest. We had very different opinions. I always thought the Pig/Demon are the easiest but the others said Pinui/PPG is the easiest.
What do you think?

This is my brothers blind playthrough (feature mudkipz who helped me alot, and... me)

« on: October 09, 2015, 04:22:05 PM »
I'd be careful using YoSniper's engine; I don't personally have a problem with it but some people dislike the way it handles.

Glad to hear it. Unusual elements are good honestly, they give games their personalities.

That's a long time scale haha. Good luck though :~)

Yeah, noticed I Wanna Be The Better Engine it playing a little bit different than most fangames. I think the Kid's Hitbox is bigger.

Well maybe part 2 is not gonna take that long at all. I really can't say right now. It all depends on how much of my free time I spend on it.
But I'm the kind of person that likes to work on alot of different projects at the same time. Currently I have too many youtube projects and writing and drawing my Webcomic also takes alot of time. I just can't concentrate on one thing at a time. Of corse that way everything takes forever but I wouldn't have it any other way. I like to have variety in life
:atkHappy:

Oh btw:
here is the trailer for the first game  :atkHappy:
It is in german

Thanks to Sworldslinger for the listed engines. I'm gonna try them and decide :)
Creating the Boss took me much longer than the rest of the game. I considered reworking all the screens befor the boss but constantly getting the "Out of Memory" issues just made me wanna start over and leave this game like it was.

« on: October 09, 2015, 03:51:24 PM »
Which engine are you using? Will it be using the same concept as this one (a medley created of non-existent fangames)? Or something new? I'd be interested in playing a sequel if it were focused a bit more on platforming and less on in-jokes.

I used "I Wanna Be The Better Engine" by YoSniper
It is the only one I really know
I'm open to suggestions of what engine to use.
Yes it will use the same concept of it beeing a fake medley game.
Three Stages are planned for Part 2
(I have some ideas for a forth and fift stage but let's not go overboard I'll save those for part 3 if I ever finish part 2)

I'll try my best to make the sequel a game that could actually be enjoyed by a borader audience.
Still there will be some unusual aspects to it. There will be at least a little bit of story and some dialoge befor Boss fights probably in german but maybe I'll do an english translation and voice over. Also the main character is not gonna be The Kid
probably just a pallet swap version of him tough.

But that sequel is not gonna happen any time soon. So don't expect it this year or even next year.

« on: October 09, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Guys I don't meen to disrespect the community or offend anyone with this game.
I love the community and wanted to try making a joke fangame as said mainly for my brother to play in his livestream while learning game maker and having fun.
This was not a serious attempt to make a good fangame. I can see people getting sick of these kind of games so I'm sorry if it offended you.

What is now the whole game was originally suposed to be only the first level.
I kept getting "Out of Memory" messages like I said in my thread. I decided to just end the game after the first boss and start over with a new engine for a sequel.

« on: October 09, 2015, 10:06:18 AM »
I'll give my two cents, why not.

I actually enjoyed the game.

Sure it has it's shortcomings, the music stopped playing when I died and the first screen will definitely annoy someone enough to not even give the game a chance.

I made it to Daim (solgryn) boss, and sure got some laughs from that, and it's fun.

Please stop making these games.

-My personal opinion

Fixed it for ya bud

Thank you for playing  :atkHappy:

I've had some bugs with the music during development but at the end it worked on my PC. I'll try using a sound engine for the next game.

Yeah, I sorta regret making the first screen the way it is, but at the same time thinking of people instantly stop playing after they see it amuses me  :atkHappy: Can't wait to see live reactions of my friends play it and maybe even people of the community might stream this game.

btw. Milka DAIM is incredibly delicious! Try it if you ever get the chance!

« on: October 09, 2015, 12:17:57 AM »
and maybe also improved on the boss's attacks itself

Be specific
As said unlike the rest of the game I actually tried to make this a decend fangame boss
So criticism is very important.  :atkHappy:

I wanted this boss to be "a little different everytime" so I gave him the three main attacks wich he chooses at random.
I kinda think these attacks might drag on for a little to long and players would just hit "restart" if they get a attack they don't like. But yeah, it is my first video game boss so I know would be very improovable

« on: October 09, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »
Guys guys... keep it calm!

Yes this is a joke game i made mainly for my brother, friends, YT viewers and readers of my comic as a suprise gift.

Thanks to lawatson for the criticism.
The whole idea of this game was that it is a "fake medley game" none of the games featured actually exist. (at least I hope so)

I started creating this game to get to know a functions of game maker. I think you can see me trying new things on each screen.

The first screen totally sucks I know that. That joke beeing that it from the non-existing game "I Wanna Be The Fehlstart" Fehlstart tralslates to "false start"
I knew people would stop playing after seeing that one first screen wich amuses me  :atkHappy:
I swear to never make a screen like this ever again tough

As I've said I really tried my best to learn game maker while designing the first stage but I really put some decent effort into the Boss at the end.

Yes, I am planning to continue making games. A sequel is already beeing planned wich will be a more serious attempt of making a fangame.

Thank you for all the responses positive and negative I wasn't expecting anybodyto care  :atkHappy:

Pages: 1 [2] 3