Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - PiranhaTooth

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Programming Questions / Re: Can I make a sprite pause?
« on: April 22, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
The way in which to do this is to set the image_speed variable to equal 0. This means it's going to cycle through 0 images every frame/step. If you wanted to do this in the middle of an animation, say at a specific frame of the animation, for example frame 14, you'd do something like

Code: [Select]
if(image_index = 14)
{
    image_speed = 0;   
}

For an example like this, every time the sprite finds itself on the 14th image of it's animation, it will stop cycling through the images of the animation, because the speed of which it cycles though the animation is set to 0. You could implement a Boolean (true/false) variable in the creation code called imageFreeze or something, and have it so that has to be set to true as well as the image_index being 14. This way while you don't want it to freeze (in this case having imageFreeze being false), it's still able to cycle through its animation normally.

User-Made Creations / Re: The Day Thereafter
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:33:44 AM »
I don't have time to get very far into it right now, but the aesthetics get an A.

Fair enough. Thanks for the compliment, It means a lot! The game is a lot shorter than you may think, so you may be pleasantly (or unpleasantly, depending how you look at it) surprised.

User-Made Creations / The Day Thereafter
« on: April 15, 2017, 03:58:21 AM »
Released my first official game. Give it a try if you feel like it!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6d71aa3j1yal5tn/The+Day+Thereafter.rar

If you're interested in a story-driven adventure game, stick around for a couple of my other games that may come out in future...
They're all linked together somehow.

Congrats on getting your motivation back, hope the game-dev goes well! Good luck! :)

User-Made Creations / Re: (WIP) I Wanna Defy the Director
« on: April 02, 2017, 04:32:08 AM »
That's a shame... I enjoyed watching your dev-streams for this project! Good luck if you continue to produce it! :)

Engines / Re: IWBT Fusion 2.5 Engine Patrickgh3 Edition
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:26:34 AM »
What would we do without you...

Tournaments / Re: Fangame Marathon 2017 Date Discussion
« on: March 01, 2017, 10:42:20 PM »
June is a relatively event-less month (excluding possible birthdays of course), and i'm not sure how it goes in the northern hemisphere, but i imagine you guys would be on summer break? If so, then it all lines up fairly well actually! I'd love to help out this year on the tech side of things, as i don't think i'll be able to run another game this year. I look forward to future news and announcements on the subject! :)

Announcements / Re: Team overhaul
« on: February 08, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »
You're forgetting that the team is mostly about getting new viewers to check out the other streamers. A small team size is important if you actually want people to look at the team page. Skill is not important, the only reason why I had a certain skill threshold before was so I would not get ultra spammed with applications, what matters is how entertaining the stream is. If I go offline and it ends up autohosting someone who is doing a micless boss grind, even if that person is extremely good, new viewers aren't going to be interested in that.

A valid point. Substituting entertainment for skill is probably a much better idea. It's kind of hard to think otherwise in this instance though. Considering a solid %95 of the popular wannabes are exemplary players, we've been conditioned to think that being a good player is a sizable portion of what it means to be in the team. That being said, you're totally right. After a second evaluation, entertainment over skill, since that would also better represent who we are as a team in terms of personalities and such as well.

Announcements / Re: Team overhaul
« on: February 08, 2017, 03:31:35 AM »
Oh man... a few differing opinions and points here, and all really valid ones at that. I definitely feel where Patrick is coming from in terms of feeling 'accepted' as it's put, but I doubt that would be too much of an issue in the long run, with a 'we've all been kicked out together' mentality, it'd soften the blow since you're not being singled out or anything.

I don't think it's a bad idea necessarily, starting from scratch. It would be taking a step backwards in terms of how far this community has come, but I can see how it frustrates Denferok to have something he's hand-crafted, built from the ground-up, be treated as a piss-take of sorts when it comes to being accepted.

If I had to give my own opinion on the matter, I'd say there needs to be a certain level of sheer skill involved when it comes to being a good candidate. Although skill is important, it's not what's in my opinion, the most important factor when it comes to picking candidates for the team. Respect. You can't get anything done without respect, and I think something like respect speaks for itself. People who've earned the respect of community members should be the ones representing them in a team like the wannabes.

I suppose that's all I really have to say on the matter. I'd like to sit down and stream more someday to maybe be part of something like this, but I'm in my last year of school so that's tricky to manage. Looking forward to seeing more interesting points people have on this topic.

Engines / Re: I Wanna Be The Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition
« on: November 06, 2016, 07:27:51 AM »
Messed around for around 30 minutes using it, all seems well on win10 (i don't know if you use win10 or not). I didn't notice any lag, but then again it's not like i was doing anything resource intensive... You got the thumbs up from me, though. Nice job.

Game Design / Re: How do I protect my games from being decompiled
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
Start using GameMaker Studio, it's very hard to decompile a studio game.

It really depends on what you're trying to do, but knowledge of basic trig is useful in making cute shapes and patterns.  Also, basic knowledge of calculus is helpful when it comes to tweaking values to be synchronized with the music.

Fancier stuff will require more advanced math and more involvement though.

Hahah, those are some intimidating screenshots... I've spent the last little while trying to learn about lengthdir, and i can see sort of how it can be used to make things like circles, so that's a start i guess :P I opted for Statistics over Calculus earlier this year, which in hindsight probably wasn't the best decision, but I'm hoping to switch to Calculus for my last year of high school next year, which should help me understand some of the terminology behind a few things such as vector and whatnot. But it's good to hear that from a reputable avoidance maker, thanks!

If you need help understanding any of the topics in math that you would actually use in an avoidance, just let me know - I'll hook you up with that fresh knowledge.

That's great to hear! It's always awesome when people in the community are willing to help out a newbie with this sort of stuff. I'll keep that in the back of my mind as a sort of 'last resort' if you will. I really do dislike personally calling on people since there's likely a lot more important stuff they could be doing with their time. But hey, you offered, and I'll sure hell call on ya if I need ya. Thanks again! :)

Back a couple (or a few) years ago, i learnt basic trigonometry. I know the whole SOH CAH TOA nonsense and how it works in terms of triangles, but for some reason I'm having trouble converting that knowledge into GameMaker, and let alone how it makes circles and all that nonsense... So my broad, overlying question remains; When making an avoidance, how much knowledge around trigonometry (or math in general) do you really need? It's a hard hurdle for me to overcome, and I would just like to get a statement on generally what's needed before i delve into something I'm potentially not prepared for.

Thanks in advance,
~Piranha

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna be the guy remake
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:16:37 AM »
Sounds interesting, i'd love to take a look if you don't mind. :)

User-Made Creations / Re: 10... [Please Look]
« on: September 29, 2016, 08:31:41 AM »
This thread seems pretty pointless as of this point...

Pages: 1 [2] 3