Author Topic: Western Fangame Rankings [W-Level]  (Read 71180 times)

Kilp

• Wannabe
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 31.0 Firefox 31.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Western Fangame Rankings [W-Level]
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
I also have a few more suggestions:

Lv: 48: I wanna be the Experience
Lv: 48: I wanna be the Green Moon
Lv: 49: I wanna be the Payment
Lv: 70: I wanna be the magnanimity

Also Yellow Star should be lowered to lv.46 as that was mostly an easy game.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:43:37 PM by Kilp »

Kefit

• Spike Dodger
  • The Former Wild Draw Four of America
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 32.0 Firefox 32.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2014, 02:54:38 AM »
Suggestions:

Lv 69: I Wanna be the Catharsis (Normal) - This is about the same level as Genius, I think.
Lv 89: I Wanna be the Fodomia - Around the same level as Needle Satan due to the very difficult final area.
Lv 90: I Wanna be the Catharsis (Hard) - Again, around the same level as Needle Satan.
Lv 94: I Wanna be the Crimson Needle - Denferok says this is harder than MMM. I might even give this a 95 if I was feeling cheeky.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.120 Chrome 37.0.2062.120
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »
Lvl. 80: I Wanna be the Darkness - 3 rooms that are pretty difficult due to there being several saves requiring certain knowledge about some pixel techniques and 1 frame. I.M.O. it's about the same difficulty as Hades.
Lvl. 89: I Wanna be the Cognitive - 2 rooms that are really difficult, and I do believe that I'm probably the only person (other than FailJguy, perhaps) that has beaten this game. Probably around the difficulty of Goner I.M.O.

I'd also like to suggest a decrease in difficulty for a couple of games:

Lvl. 95: I Wanna be the TAS - Honestly the hardest thing in this game is the second stage and the boss. For me everything else (mostly stage 1, and I have played around with stage 3 some) has been a cakewalk for me. Plus, there is evidence of several people getting to the boss, although to my knowledge nobody has beaten the boss.

Lvl. 79: I Wanna be the TsuTaMao - This game isn't that bad for me, as I have beaten it in under 700 deaths as of this date. I don't see a reason why this should be harder than I Wanna L because there's only a few really difficult saves in this game as a whole.

Just my 2 cents.

Hectorpaddy

• Spike Dodger
  • Do you even Hexa Corner?
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 37.0.2062.124 Chrome 37.0.2062.124
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Gamepad
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »

Lv 94: I Wanna be the Crimson Needle - Denferok says this is harder than MMM. I might even give this a 95 if I was feeling cheeky.

I think he's referring to the platforming. While I haven't beaten it myself I would never put it that high. Seeing as how rukito area is 91 or 92, butterly nova is 92, gentle needle 91 and loner 90.
While I can't say anything about the fine tuning I'd def put it at 91-93 or something.
Hector, the dropping knowledge.

Hectorpaddy

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2014, 12:00:02 PM »

Lvl. 95: I Wanna be the TAS - Honestly the hardest thing in this game is the second stage and the boss. For me everything else (mostly stage 1, and I have played around with stage 3 some) has been a cakewalk for me. Plus, there is evidence of several people getting to the boss, although to my knowledge nobody

Just my 2 cents.

The reason TAS is rated 96 is the boss, why would you want to lower it if nobody's even beaten it? lol

Hectorpaddy

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »

I think I wanna beat the spikes series should be ranked (:Kappa:)

I actually do want to do this, just need some more opinions from everyone about what beat the spikes 1-final should be rated.

I would do the Rankings like this:

I wanna beat the Spikes(no extra): ~lv60
I wanna beat the Spikes 2(no extra): ~lv59
I wanna beat the Spikes 2(extra): ~lv63
I wanna beat the Spikes 3(no extra): ~lv63
I wanna beat the Spikes 4: ~lv86
I wanna beat the Spikes 5(no extra): ~lv87
I wanna beat the Spikes 6(with/without extra since the extra doesn't affect the difficulty really): lv90/91
I wanna beat the Spikes final: lv92

Kinata

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
This sounds reasonable, but I don't think the extra stages are significant enough to merit inclusion.

Also, this list is clearly stagnant. Barely any changes have been made, and barely any real discussion has ever occurred in this thread (people post rank suggestions, at most one or two responses occur). Drastic measures are in order. I suggest Sword just take every suggestion that has been made so far and incorporate it into the list. This will get the ball rolling and give us a better sense of what system we will use to determine new iterations of the list.

If someone sees on the first post that a change has occurred that they disagree with, they can post their dissent here and start a more nuanced discussion. People don't feel so motivated discuss theoretical changes mentioned in random posts, but actually seeing something on the list that seems wrong would more likely spark an actual discussion (like the many discussions we've had pointing out the mistakes in the M-level list).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 08:34:53 PM by Kinata »

ethinthenougathorn

• Spike Dodger
  • jung, brutal, gutaussehend
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
i wonder if butterfly nova possible mod also means that the insane jump also got nerfed(ceiling + saves)?
If you wanna hang out youve got to take her out; cocaine.
If you wanna get down, down on the ground;
cocaine.
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie;
cocaine.

ShadowsDieAway

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.111 Chrome 38.0.2125.111
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
Thanks for this thread, helps a lot with figuring out which games I need to play first to get more experienced. Also geez, now I know how much I'm really torturing myself when playing TAS and K3.

SmokeyCR

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2014, 03:57:15 PM »
Hello, everybody. I was looking at this list and decided to create an account to contribute with it, so...
I'll start with my opinion about what already is on the list:
Lv 00 : I Wanna See the Barrage   [CLEAR]
Lv 04 : I Wanna Be The Very Easy Game
Lv 05 : I Wanna be the ChokoChoko   [CLEAR]
Someone already said that in this thread, but the difference between these isn't that high. While it's true that beginners might struggle with ChokoChoko because of the vine jumps, it's also true that beginners might not understand that you don't need to move at See the Barrage (And it's more possible, too). I would rate Very Easy Game as lower than both of those, since it's the only game out of the three where the objective is clear. I think that the ranking should be something among these lines:

Lv 02: I wanna Be the Very Easy Game
Lv 03: I wanna See the Barrage
Lv 03: I wanna be the ChokoChoko

Lv 16 : I Wanna be the GGM[Medium]
Lv 23 : I Wanna Conquer The Blow Game [Medium]
Lv 25 : I Wanna Enjoy the Game   [Medium]
I'm sure that the difference between GGM and Conquer the Blow isn't 7 LVLs high. While Conquer the Blow may be longer, GGM has harder jumps. Also, Conquer the Blow is WAY closer to Enjoy the Game than it should be. Enjoy the Game has some confusing traps at the Gray World, making the jumps harder AND making you think a little bit about how to dodge the traps (Something that is lacking on GGM and Conquer the Blow). The bosses at Conquer the Blow and Enjoy the Game are nearly at the same level, too. Thus, I think that Conquer the Blow should be lowered by a few levels. My suggestion is:

Lv 19: I Wanna Conquer The Blow Game [Medium]

Lv 29 : I Wanna Be The Heart
I think that this one should be higher for two reasons. First, the jumps at this game are close to I Wanna be the Art's difficulty.
(click to show/hide)
Second reason is, while Art is a short maze of screens, Heart is an exploring game where you must find all of the three evil apples and defeat them to unlock the Final Boss. Art might be more confusing, but Heart is way longer. Thus, I think that both should be at the same level:

Lv 39: I Wanna Be The Heart

Lv 47 : I Wanna be the Popularity   [Medium]
Popularity isn't that bad on Medium. Definitively, not higher than Escape the Volcano, or Macaron. I would rate it as Lv 40, at most:

Lv 40: I Wanna be the Popularity [Medium]

Lv 57 : I Wanna Be The Sunflower FAIRY Kid Mode [Easy]
I'm just curious about this one. Is there any difference between this one and the original Sunflower Fairy?

Lv 62 : I Wanna be the Guy : Gaiden   [Medium]   [Demo]
No. Just no. I didn't see Rose Gear, Tribute, Fangame and Best Guy at lower levels to see Guy: Gaiden at Lv 62. Please, don't.
Guy: Gaiden has only two or three really hard saves (And it seems like one of them was nerfed). Everything else is a matter of simple skill and patience. The final boss is easy, and the sub-bosses at 1.1 and 1.2 aren't that bad either. Best Guy has some brutally hard bosses, Rose Gear has harder bosses AND saves (Even without extra), Fangame has some brutally hard saves near the end and Tribute has some of the cheapest RNGs i've ever seen. To me, Guy: Gaiden should be lower than all of those, so, I would suggest:

Lv 50 : I Wanna be the Guy : Gaiden [Medium] [Demo]

Lv 65 : I Wanna Take the Time-machine  [Normal]
I was going to leave this alone, but...
Lv 67 : I Wanna Be The 8bit [Demo] [Hard]
Time-machine is definitively harder than this one. 8bit might have some harder needles, but Time-machine's bosses are far harder. Sonic & Mario require precision and good memory, Snowman has the old and good cheap RNG, Ryu destroys the floor at the speed of the sound, Solgryn has 3 forms and you must defeat all of them in one try, and Influka is Influka...Enough said. Plus, Time-machine is way longer. Thus, I don't see how can 8bit be higher. I would rate Time-Machine as:

Lv 68: I Wanna Take the Time-machine [Normal]

Because I didn't play any of the Lv 69 games and I don't think I can put it at the same level as Sharpness.

Lv 68 : I Wanna Kill the Kamilia 1   [Medium]
Again, I'm just curious about this one. Why is Kamilia 1 so high? I mean, I know that it's hard as hell, but I don't recall it being harder than some of the games I've seen at lower levels on this list.

Lv 68 : I Wanna CELEBRATE 100 [Medium]
No. Please, don't. This is even worse than Guy: Gaiden at Lv 62.
Few areas are really hard at this game, and I'm sure that none of them is worthy of a Lv 68 rating. The hardest boss in the game is Cirno, and even she isn't that hard. Sorry, I can't see this game as harder than I Wanna Macaron or FC in any way. I would rate it as Lv 44, but that would be too extreme, so my suggestion is:

Lv 47 : I Wanna CELEBRATE 100 [Medium]

Since it's still a long game.

Now, moving on to the other suggestions:
Alright, so here are my suggestions for this list:

Lv: 21: I wanna Giripossible - This was a very easy 100 floor game, had about 15 deaths when I beat it.
Lv: 20: I wanna be the NCE 1 - This was also very easy, had a gate jump avoidance at the end.
Lv: 52: I wanna enjoy the game 2 - This was a pretty long and well made trigger game. The last boss was pretty hard though.
Lv: 55: I wanna be the Yassan: The game had some bosses that could give you bad RNG, plus some of the rooms were a bit challenging.
Lv: 27: I wanna vanish needles: This was an easy game with 6 stages, plus the last boss is easy.
Lv: 54: I wanna be the starter: This had about medium level difficulty overall. bosses aren't too bad.
Lv: 44: I wanna be the Piyopiyo Trap easy ver.: The game was pretty easy though it had some gimmicks that relied on luck.
NCE is far harder than Giripossible, Enjoy the Game and Conquer the Blow. The Gate Jump avoidance requires a lot of patience and timing. Some of its jumps might be troublesome, as well.
I also think that Yassan should be higher than Sunflower Fairy and 3200 min, mainly because the bosses that can give you bad RNG, will often do so. Things get even worse because of their high HP.
Also, I think that Enjoy the Game 2 should be higher. Not only the Final Boss, but also the White Cherry was really hard (To me, it was even harder than the Final Boss). Although, not as high as Rose Gear.
I would rate these as:

Lv 35: I wanna be the NCE 1
Lv 55: I wanna Enjoy the Game 2
Lv 63: I wanna be the Yassan

I also have a few more suggestions:

Lv: 48: I wanna be the Experience
Lv: 48: I wanna be the Green Moon
Lv: 49: I wanna be the Payment
Lv: 70: I wanna be the magnanimity

Also Yellow Star should be lowered to lv.46 as that was mostly an easy game.
I agree with Experience and Magnanimity (I didn't play the other ones).

Suggestions:

Lv 69: I Wanna be the Catharsis (Normal) - This is about the same level as Genius, I think.
Lv 89: I Wanna be the Fodomia - Around the same level as Needle Satan due to the very difficult final area.
Lv 90: I Wanna be the Catharsis (Hard) - Again, around the same level as Needle Satan.
I think that Catharsis (Normal) should be higher, something around Lv 77 (I can't see it as easier than Heaven Trap 1).

That's it for now, I'll make another post with my suggestions later (I still have to replay some games to check their difficulty).

Kilp

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 33.0 Firefox 33.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
I appreciate you're opinions Smokey, and I agree with Kinata that this list should change soon.

SmokeyCR

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
Well, so here are my suggestions to increase the list (The Box Trap series was supposed to be here, but I forgot nearly everything about these games, so I can't rate them for now. I'll play them again someday, and then add them to this post):
Perfection Series
It's weird how Perfection 1 is the only ranked game of the series here '-'
So, here are my suggestions for the other games of the series:

Lv 50: I Wanna be the Perfection 2 [Clear] - One word: Traps. The first Perfection didn't have any traps, but at the second Perfection you must deal with the annoying jumps AND the traps. Some of the traps might even make the game seem impossible at first glance, although most of them are just a matter of hidden paths. This is easily the hardest game in the series.
Lv 29: I wanna be the Perfection 3 [Clear] - And here the difficulty starts to decrease. Most of the floors are a matter of patience, and there are no hard jumps at all. I might give it a lower score, but it's not as easy as Enjoy the Game, so...
Lv 1: I wanna be the Perfection 4 [Medium] - This is the closest I ever saw to a Lv 0 game. Unlike the other Perfections, this one has no saves at all, so you must go through all of the game in one go. The only problem is that...There are NO spikes! It's simply impossible to die at this game. I know easier games, though (None that I would recommend), so I can't rate this one as Lv 0.
Lv 7: I wanna be the Perfection 4 [Hard] - Perfection 4 is the only Perfection game that changes according to the difficulty (The other ones will only change if you play on Impossible). There are still no saves, but now there are Spikes. Few spikes, but now you can die, so that's something.
Lv 42: I wanna be the Perfection 4 [Very Hard] - Yeah, the difficulty increases that much. The game itself isn't THAT hard, but some areas are really tricky, and, as always, there are no saves (The game isn't short either). Definitively harder than the first Perfection, although not even close to the second.
Lv 34: I wanna be the Perfection 5 [Clear] - Talk about being trivial. This one is still harder than Perfection 3, since there are some hard jumps here and there, but the difference isn't that great.

By the way, did I mention that Perfection 4 has a "Very Very Hard" mode? :Kappa: (I'm not going to rank it, since I don't have enough patience to get past the second screen, but I'm sure that it's above Lv 70).

Gate Keeper

I just love this game. Can't get enough of the needles u_u

Lv 59: I Wanna be the Gate Keeper [Clear] - On a later playthrough, I decided to lower this number...A bit. Then, again, the platforming is somewhat painful at some parts (Nothing absurd, but nothing I would put below the first two Uhuhu Spikes either). Also, there is the Final Boss. Well, the Final Boss isn't exactly HARD. But it takes some patience to defeat him. He shoots small projectiles (Nothing too scary compared to the first boss at Box Trap 1, but still annoying) at different patterns according to his HP, and when he is damaged, he gets invulnerability for quite a while. Plus, one of his attacks is really annoying to dodge, as it involves RNG combined with aimed attacks. You also must get to a high platform in order to shoot him, which is something...not really pleasant to do.

Qoqoqo

Such a lovely 100-floor game u_u

Lv 99 Lv 72: I wanna Qoqoqo [Medium] - From the Ice Area on, this game gets awfully evil with the needle placing. This game has a mechanic that forces you to find your way through a maze of needles, by restricting your jumps so that you can only get to a specific platform if you jump from a specific place. Well, at the Ice Area, this mechanic is polished and the jumps start to get harder, so that you must do a lot of annoying jumps in one go. Things get even worse around Floor 83, at the Sky, where the difficulty starts to raise exponencially (Or maybe I just suck at infinite jumping. Doesn't matter.), and then, at the 90s, the game turns into a maze of spikes and platforms everywhere, with hard jumps everywhere. Also, even though the bosses aren't hard, their HP might still be annoying for some people.

Brisulph

I actually don't really like this game, but some people might like it, so I thought of putting it here anyway...

Lv 54: I Wanna be Like Brisulph [Regular Pwnage] - Based on NES games...In a lot of ways. Most stages will require you to memorize a specific sequence of movements that you must follow within a specific time if you want to get through. The stages are short, but there are really few saves, which is really annoying sometimes. Also, the two last bosses are a perfect example of how to NOT make a RNG Boss. First, the Drones. You can't damage them. You just have to collect their 4 flags before they collect yours. Well, it wouldn't be too bad if:
- You didn't have to defeat them 3 times in a row (And the arena gets bigger and with more obstacles each time).
- They didn't spawn at random places (And what is worse, they'll nearly always spawn close to your flags. Of course. Sometimes, the fight ends after 3 seconds, thanks to that -.-)
- There weren't 4 of them.
Second, Brisulph has an attack where he'll spawn platforms at random places and fill the floor with spikes. This wouldn't be too bad...If the platforms didn't tend to block his only weak spot (Did I mention that he has 300 HP?).
I won't rate it higher because I don't think that it's harder than Fangame, but I won't rate it lower either, thanks to these two bosses.

Not Another Needle Game

I'm surprised that this one isn't on the list '-'
Either way, my suggestion is:

Lv 71: Not Another Needle Game [Bad Ending][Clear] - Slightly higher than Magnanimity, I would say. Lots of hard jumps at each stage, mainly at the last floors. Not really much to say about this one.

Sonic Drive
Speaking of avoidances...This is one of the few that I can stand (It's not even 2 minutes long, anyway).

Lv 44: I Wanna Play the Sonic Drive [Clear] - The higher speed might be helpful...Or not. Either way, the avoidance isn't too hard, once you know how to do it, but the last attack is a pain. Also, RNG is hardly something good. Mainly at high speeds.

Cultured
As far as I know, it's alredy completed, so...

Lv 74: I Wanna Get Cultured [Normal] - Stages 6 and 7 are evil (Mainly stage 7). AND the Final Boss is pure hell (Easily one of the hardest bosses I've ever defeated). Easily harder than Kamilia 1 (WAY harder, by the way). Putting the game higher would mean putting it close to Catharsis and Flower, though, which is a big nope.

...Tesseract
Here is a long game (In a lot of ways) '-'

Lv 43: I wanna Conceptualize the Omnitruncated Tesseract [Clear][No secret] - Hardly the sort of game I would call hard, since there are few hard jumps. The bosses aren't too hard, either. However, the game is as lenghty as its name, which is...Something to take into consideration.

Alphabet

There is the "extra" but there isn't the "no extra"...Weird '-'

Lv 22: I wanna be the Alphabet [No extra][Clear] - Easy from the beginning to the end. Slightly lower than Enjoy the Game, I would say.

Normal

Another unknown game here '-'

Lv 49: I wanna be the Normal [Medium] - Around the same level as Perfection 2. I would rate it lower, but the first screen of Stage 2 doesn't allow me to. Also, the bosses are somewhat challenging (Exception for Stage 4's Boss, boring as hell).

Novelty Series

Probably my favorite series of fangames u_u
I'm surprised that it's not on the list, as well '-'

Lv 56: I wanna Make the Novelty [Medium] - Each stage has a different gimmick, but some of them are just too evil (Mainly Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3, Stage 4, Stage 5 and Stage 6 '-'). Also, Stage 7's Boss is one hell of an avoidance, and Stage 8's Boss is...I have no words to describe that thing. Oh, and the Final Boss is really annoying, as well
Lv 51: I wanna Make the Novelty 2 [Medium] - Platforming is slightly easier than Novelty 1 (Stage 2 is an exception), and the bosses are WAY easier. Stage 5's boss is infuriating, though.

Escape Reality

Short, but really fun. I laughed a lot on the Final Boss, too.

Lv 51: I wanna Escape Reality - The RNG platforms at the Wood Stage won't allow me to put this any lower. The game is really fair on the other saves, though, so I think that this ranking is alright.

The Diva Batles

I nearly forgot this one. As far as I know, its Miku is one of the first Miku avoidances ever made. Probably one of the best, too.
(click to show/hide)

Lv 40: The Diva Batles [Medium][Complete Miku Endurance] - Platforming is way too easy. No hard jumps at all, no lack of saves, no cheap gimmicks. The problem comes with the Boss. First, some of the predictable attacks have a weird pattern that is annoying to dodge. Second, the RNG attacks are evil . And finally, the blood falling from the ceiling is unsettling  :BibleThump:

Well, these are my opinions for now. I'll edit this post later if I beat any other interesting games.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:40:38 PM by SmokeyCR »

Shinytyphlosion

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.71 Chrome 39.0.2171.71
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2014, 01:26:51 PM »
Although I agree with most of the above I'd place Cultured at Level 70 with NANG bad ending and move Magnanimity to about 75. 

Suggestions:
- Moving Popularity [Medium] to somewhere in the 50's. Am I the only one that finds this game to be hard? (I suck at the mouse)
- Moving up Break the 3 Makers 3 to at 97 or 98 seeing that nobody has beaten it yet (with proof)
- Moving down Kamilia 2, I find a 92 for this game to be pushing it.  Especially if it's over Needle Satan and Alphabet extra
- Music [Extreme] is way too hard to be 84 when it has the 10 minute battle.
Please disregard the above.

SmokeyCR

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
Although I agree with most of the above I'd place Cultured at Level 70 with NANG bad ending and move Magnanimity to about 75. 

Suggestions:
- Moving Popularity [Medium] to somewhere in the 50's. Am I the only one that finds this game to be hard? (I suck at the mouse)
- Moving up Break the 3 Makers 3 to at 97 or 98 seeing that nobody has beaten it yet (with proof)
- Moving down Kamilia 2, I find a 92 for this game to be pushing it.  Especially if it's over Needle Satan and Alphabet extra
I am bad with the mouse too, but I didn't find Popularity's Mouse stage to be hard (Not compared to the standards of games that make use of the mouse, at least)...It might be just me, though.

I agree with Kamilia 2, by the way (I didn't play the other ones)

ethinthenougathorn

• Spike Dodger
  • jung, brutal, gutaussehend
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2014, 03:43:06 AM »

music extreme 10 min battle has it`s own rank, 99
If you wanna hang out youve got to take her out; cocaine.
If you wanna get down, down on the ground;
cocaine.
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie;
cocaine.