Author Topic: I Wanna Descend Into Hell  (Read 19277 times)

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 31.0.1650.63 Chrome 31.0.1650.63
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: I Wanna Descend Into Hell
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
Just updated the original post to include the link to the final version of the game. Hardmode/New Game+/whatever is fully implemented.

Starz0r

• Owner
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Fame
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.76 Chrome 32.0.1700.76
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »
I would recommend you add pictures to the thread, there is a rule about not having pictures on topics in these boards. Most people will not download if there aren't pictures. Just a common rule of thumb. I would also recommend versioning or labeling your game downloads and putting it in the Subject Header.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.76 Chrome 32.0.1700.76
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 01:20:38 AM »
I would certainly hate to violate any of the rules on a forum as illustrious as this one.

Starz0r

• Owner
  • The Kid
  • Administrator
  • Hall Of Fame
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 31.0.1650.63 Chrome 31.0.1650.63
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »
I would certainly hate to violate any of the rules on a forum as illustrious as this one.

13. No posting a "User-Made Creation" unless you have something to show, eg. Screenshots, Videos, ect.

:FailFish:

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 Windows 8/Server 2012
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 32.0.1700.107 Chrome 32.0.1700.107
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
I updated the original post just to make you happy Starz. (The game's updated too)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:19:30 AM by Kyir »

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 06:18:45 AM »
I updated the game to make it so you don't have to collect all the secrets and play through the hard mode of the first half of the game to get to all the later stuff.

It appears that I also managed to brake the third secret, so that one should probably be avoided all together.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:19:49 AM by Kyir »

Mannyg2011

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 11:00:01 PM »
I be honest when I first played this game I actually didn't know that it was unfinished so when I first played it I thought the game was bad because of the ending. However seeing the new update and playing through all of it again my opinion changed. It a good game but it does have it ups and downs and I'm still progressing through this game so my opinion may change when I finally finish the game and the game is also finally finished but here a list of how I feel about that game so far. Now this will have spoilers so please keep that in mind if you are just starting off or are still relatively early in the game.

Good:
Fun Level Design
Great Music- I really love Orchestra Music
Fun Gimmicks- Extra jump that vine rope climb works great.
Zelda Chime for when you are in the same screen that leads to the secret. Makes finding the secrets much easier.
Added Bosses- YESSS It feels so much better to know I'm making progress after beating a boss

Bad:
Magic Mirror Gimmick- You should know right away if you have the right mirror or not. I shouldn't have to jump into the mirror a certain way just so I live. I think if you have the right mirror you should live, now after that fair game but if you take the right mirror, you shouldn't die right away because you enter it the wrong way.

Music Loop in the Wall of Flesh Area. Please, Please PLEASE Fix this music loop! I honestly thought I broke the game because the music stops playing for 3 minutes! I love the music it amazing, and that oboe solo just <3 (Bit of a music nerd here sorry). Really fitting music for that area as well but it feels so weird when you have silence for 3 minutes of it. Please fix this.

Bosses- So far super easy but I know you just added them in so I won't go far on that. The second boss doesn't attack you by the way just a heads up.

(Very Minor Glitch I found) 1st area screen skip glitch. This is the screen right before the boss if I remember correctly but after clearing the screen before and you fall down. If you up back up that gap and move right you can skip that whole screen. I found it on accident trying to see if that diamond on the right had a secret or not.

I Wanna Ascend out of Hell Bonus- I actually thought this area was really neat. My only complaint is that the clouds make it a cheap difficulty in the beginning but that was easy. However it does has a huge difficulty curves and gets pretty dang hard fast (at least for newcomers) For example there a part where you have to do a drop that has triggers and the only way down is do 2 invents while falling and a diagonal at the end. Honestly this part drove me mad because I honestly felt like it was more luck than skill because I can't really get a sense on how high to jump for the invent due to the drop. The Next screen is again pretty easy until the last save where I feel like the timing for the 2nd to last jump is just really strict. Now don't get me wrong having strict timing for jumps isn't a bad thing but when you go from super easy to super hard after a single save is very poor level design. Maybe I don't get the timing so it may just be me at the moment since I just got there not to long ago. But it feels strict to me since it seems as soon as I hit the cloud in the bottle/extra jump I die a second right after.

Overall Opinion on the Game:
That last area with the fairies is the last screen I am currently at but overall I feel like this game is really amazing and has a lot of potential to be a good game. The descend into hell area is great for newcomers and the ascend from hell section is challenging for both experience and newcomers although maybe just a bit too much for newcomers. I really love the game, I love the gimmicks, and the music but there a few things I wish that were fixed to help make this a much better game as stated above. I would rank this game a 7/10 and a 8.5/10 once the glitches and complaints I had are addressed.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 11:32:14 AM »
That's some pretty extensive feedback! I'll look into the bugs you mentioned (though I'm still really perplexed by the music repeat not working in that one area,) so if I ever get around to releasing a new patch that'll be it. I did also make a lot of this game when I was still just trying to figure out how stuff works in game maker, hence a lot of stuff like the timings being too tight. I just never really thought much about how it would be playing the game without knowing how to do stuff. You'll probably either really love or really hate the next gimmick.

Thanks for your review though!

Mannyg2011

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:27 PM »
I got a bit farther into the game and found some more things that I thought you would like to know.

Glitches:
Falling Out of Bounds at the bottom doesn't kill you. I noticed this in the farry area when ever I missed a jump I would keep falling and falling without it ever killing me. I finally did die when I pressed Q Though. Not sure if intentional or not. However it did make the last screen with the fairies a ton easier as I just moved just slightly out of bounds to skip that last timing area. I really just wanted to see what you had planned next.)

Music Loop in the Crimson/Corruption Area that has the new gimmick [Also the song you choose <3] (Also I really loved the gimmick)

Music Loop in Dungeon area again. Takes like 5 minutes this time. Maybe ask some other makers to help you figure out what causing the music from taking so long to loop? I'm sure someone is willing to help you out if you ask.

Stopwatch room Music Loops work great. It in the same area as above but the new music here loops well plus this Gimmick is actually really fun.

Also I highly suggest you make it more clear on where to go next. I came across two "Impossible paths" and I attempted them several times before realizing I was going the wrong way. The first one was in the Hollow area where instead of going left where you are shot up into the air, I went right into the dungeon door  where I thought that room was possible. The Second was the last screen in the air where you had to do several diamonds only using your second jump. I know possible but to do that it would be an extreme difficulty curve.

And in case you are wondering this how far I am into the game now. I honestly how no idea how close/far I am from the ending but I'm honestly really enjoying the game so far. Great Job Kyir, I wish you the best of luck with finishing the game. I hope Game Maker doesn't cause you too much troubles.

Swordslinger

• The Kid
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.154 Chrome 33.0.1750.154
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 12:59:42 AM »
falling out of bounds without dying might be because of the engine, why don't your future games use Yutuu?
A Random Signature

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 01:02:47 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying it, and thanks again for all the bug reporting. The falling out of bounds without death is just part of the engine, and there are a few places you can actually exploit it pretty handily. I'm sure I'll fix all the problems some time, but game making isn't super high on my priority/enjoyment list right now.

As for why I use YoSniper's engine Sword, it's comfortable for me and easy to use.

Mannyg2011

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 36.0.1985.125 Chrome 36.0.1985.125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »
So Kyir, quick question is the game suppose to end at the Save jumping screen? (By the way fix it so if you fail you get teleported back to the platform. If I didn't backup my save I would have lost all my progressed denRin)

The reason I ask is because I just beat the Plantera boss and got to that screen on stream. After like 10 minutes of trying to beat the save jumping screen I did it only to just fall off the edge at the other end. I know the game unfinished so I was wonder if that was the last screen in v.80

Thank you for your help :D

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM »
That's the last screen in this version. There's going to be something in there if I ever update, so no mandatory save jumping (although save editing in this engine is quite easy.) I hope you enjoyed the experience overall, though I think you're probably like the second person ever to actually make it right to the boss.

Mannyg2011

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
I'll believe it the game gets really tough at the end but not bad. I think the only thing else I have to add is the music for the boss didn't seem fitting. The music you choose for it felt more like celebration music or credits music not boss music. Other than that great game, nice job

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Windows 8/Server 2012 Windows 8/Server 2012
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:27 AM »
You can now laugh at all the weak peasants who complain bitterly about the engine.