I Wanna Community

Fangames => User-Made Creations => Topic started by: Kyir on December 31, 2013, 12:57:46 AM

Title: I Wanna Descend Into Hell
Post by: Kyir on December 31, 2013, 12:57:46 AM
Basic Information:
Name: I Wanna Descend Into Hell v1.01
Engine: YoSniper
Creator: Kyir

Game Details:
Length: ~80 screens, ~5 hours based on testing.
5 Secrets: Currently do nothing.
Bosses: One at the start, one at the end.

Readme File:
Epic Storyline
Compelling Characters
5 Star Review by the New York Times
Soon to be turned into a movie by J. J. Abrams
Song list

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Download (12/24/2014 Update):
https://www.mediafire.com/download/ij4edwnwxdvhp38/I_Wanna_Descend_Into_Hell.rar

Patch Notes:
(click to show/hide)

Current 100% World Record is 1:23:10 (Mannyg2011)
Title: Re: I Wanna Descend Into Hell
Post by: Derpyhoovesiwbtg on December 31, 2013, 03:45:36 AM
I played this game and im now at the second area. Pretty good game so far! Here are the Pro's and Con's

Pro's:
Good fitting music for the area
Area's are pretty well designed, no annoying stuff like jump cancelling
The graphics from Terraria really fits the area

Con's:
You should edit some stuff to make it better: (spikes, platforms)
The water is pretty annoying to use because The Kid moves REÁÁÁÁÁÁLY moves fast in the water and i almost die from it (ill count it as nothing if its just a thing from YoSniper's engine)

Thats my rating.
Post by: Kyir on December 31, 2013, 06:44:20 AM
The water is part of the engine, but it's pretty much a failure on my part in terms of coding in that I couldn't improve it at all.
Post by: Derpyhoovesiwbtg on December 31, 2013, 08:13:43 AM
Its okay. I never used YoSniper's engine before so its just his fault.
Post by: HAEGOE on December 31, 2013, 08:29:46 AM
Well, I'm using Yosniper's Engine for my new fangame too, and I think I know the problem : he made the gravity weak when the kid is underwater, but the maximum fall speed is still 8.
Here's what I did to solve it.
Find the object player, and look for 'End step'(Is it says so in English? because I'm not using English version so I don't know)
anyway, next you find the 'else if place_meeting(x, y, water)'
there, the code says :
 else if place_meeting(x, y, water) {gravity = 0.25;}
if you find it, add this to there:
if vspeed>2{vspeed = 2;}
so the result will be this(this is exact same code with mine):
    else if place_meeting(x, y, water) {gravity = 0.25;if vspeed>2{vspeed = 2;}}

this may make the kid fall slower than before underwater(I didn't used the underwater gimmick yet so you'll need to test it yourself, and if you think 2 is too slow, you can change the number). of course, you can modify the 'maxFallSpeed' variable, but I didn't want to because I thought what I did was the more simple way.
Post by: Kyir on January 03, 2014, 08:38:47 PM
Thanks to Haegoe the water's pretty much fixed. I'm still not 100% happy with it but I think I'd need to see the values used in other games to get it where I want.

So new mediafire link and everything.
Post by: Denferok on January 06, 2014, 05:44:40 AM
This engine doe
Post by: Kyir on January 06, 2014, 01:03:35 PM
There're no corner into aeriel double-diamond jumps so I don't think it's your sort of game anyway Den.
Post by: Gutiger on January 07, 2014, 03:45:00 AM
Could you explain how the secrets and end warp work? I got to the end, and unable to get through the three doors, I hit the warp and it warped me back to the first zone. Does it always warp you back to the beginning of the game, or to screens where you missed the secret? Are there then warps back to the end so I can go through the doors?
Post by: Kyir on January 07, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
The end warps take you to the beginning of each stage respectively, unless I messed the coding up in a way that I didn't find during testing. As of now there's no way to get back to the end screen aside from playing through the entire game again. I do realize that this is a hassle, but as of now there's nothing behind those doors other than the first few screens of hardmode/New Game+, so you're not missing a huge amount right now.
Post by: Denferok on January 08, 2014, 01:05:33 PM
Pretty fun game, you should definitely reconsider using an engine such as lemon, yuuutu or nekoron as people are more used to those and would prefer not having to "relearn" the game.
Another problem is the ingame timer, it displays the centiseconds which can cause minor framerate issues.
You should explain in the readme that the secrets are infact required and give some hint that the game isn't finished yet.

All in all, I rate this game kinda fun with 4/10 difficulty mainly because of the engine and the ingame timer.
Post by: Kyir on January 08, 2014, 07:15:24 PM
I managed to figure out the timer, but is there anything significantly wrong with the engine aside from the water physics? I don't really play a lot of games, so it all seems pretty much the same to me.
Post by: Denferok on January 08, 2014, 07:18:57 PM
I managed to figure out the timer, but is there anything significantly wrong with the engine aside from the water physics? I don't really play a lot of games, so it all seems pretty much the same to me.

The kids physics are completely different
Post by: Kyir on January 08, 2014, 07:57:17 PM
Well, I'll look into a different engine for my next game, but I doubt that there's much I can do about this one without a huge amount of effort on my part.
Post by: Swordslinger on January 08, 2014, 08:44:17 PM
Kyir I Guess i can suggest the Yutuu or Nekeron edition for your next game, Yosnipers engine does have a lot of bugs in it, and unless you want to get into a fuck load of coding its not worth fixing it, but these 2 engines can be found on the Aiwanna Wiki, good luck with future productions.
Post by: Kyir on January 13, 2014, 10:43:51 PM
Just updated the original post to include the link to the final version of the game. Hardmode/New Game+/whatever is fully implemented.
Post by: Starz0r on January 15, 2014, 03:17:15 PM
I would recommend you add pictures to the thread, there is a rule about not having pictures on topics in these boards. Most people will not download if there aren't pictures. Just a common rule of thumb. I would also recommend versioning or labeling your game downloads and putting it in the Subject Header.
Post by: Kyir on January 18, 2014, 01:20:38 AM
I would certainly hate to violate any of the rules on a forum as illustrious as this one.
Post by: Starz0r on January 18, 2014, 12:10:17 PM
I would certainly hate to violate any of the rules on a forum as illustrious as this one.

13. No posting a "User-Made Creation" unless you have something to show, eg. Screenshots, Videos, ect.

:FailFish:
Post by: Kyir on February 05, 2014, 01:30:52 PM
I updated the original post just to make you happy Starz. (The game's updated too)
Post by: Kyir on June 18, 2014, 06:18:45 AM
I updated the game to make it so you don't have to collect all the secrets and play through the hard mode of the first half of the game to get to all the later stuff.

It appears that I also managed to brake the third secret, so that one should probably be avoided all together.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on June 21, 2014, 11:00:01 PM
I be honest when I first played this game I actually didn't know that it was unfinished so when I first played it I thought the game was bad because of the ending. However seeing the new update and playing through all of it again my opinion changed. It a good game but it does have it ups and downs and I'm still progressing through this game so my opinion may change when I finally finish the game and the game is also finally finished but here a list of how I feel about that game so far. Now this will have spoilers so please keep that in mind if you are just starting off or are still relatively early in the game.

Good:
Fun Level Design
Great Music- I really love Orchestra Music
Fun Gimmicks- Extra jump that vine rope climb works great.
Zelda Chime for when you are in the same screen that leads to the secret. Makes finding the secrets much easier.
Added Bosses- YESSS It feels so much better to know I'm making progress after beating a boss

Bad:
Magic Mirror Gimmick- You should know right away if you have the right mirror or not. I shouldn't have to jump into the mirror a certain way just so I live. I think if you have the right mirror you should live, now after that fair game but if you take the right mirror, you shouldn't die right away because you enter it the wrong way.

Music Loop in the Wall of Flesh Area. Please, Please PLEASE Fix this music loop! I honestly thought I broke the game because the music stops playing for 3 minutes! I love the music it amazing, and that oboe solo just <3 (Bit of a music nerd here sorry). Really fitting music for that area as well but it feels so weird when you have silence for 3 minutes of it. Please fix this.

Bosses- So far super easy but I know you just added them in so I won't go far on that. The second boss doesn't attack you by the way just a heads up.

(Very Minor Glitch I found) 1st area screen skip glitch. This is the screen right before the boss if I remember correctly but after clearing the screen before and you fall down. If you up back up that gap and move right you can skip that whole screen. I found it on accident trying to see if that diamond on the right had a secret or not.

I Wanna Ascend out of Hell Bonus- I actually thought this area was really neat. My only complaint is that the clouds make it a cheap difficulty in the beginning but that was easy. However it does has a huge difficulty curves and gets pretty dang hard fast (at least for newcomers) For example there a part where you have to do a drop that has triggers and the only way down is do 2 invents while falling and a diagonal at the end.
(click to show/hide)
Honestly this part drove me mad because I honestly felt like it was more luck than skill because I can't really get a sense on how high to jump for the invent due to the drop. The Next screen is again pretty easy until the last save where I feel like the timing for the 2nd to last jump is just really strict.
(click to show/hide)
Now don't get me wrong having strict timing for jumps isn't a bad thing but when you go from super easy to super hard after a single save is very poor level design. Maybe I don't get the timing so it may just be me at the moment since I just got there not to long ago. But it feels strict to me since it seems as soon as I hit the cloud in the bottle/extra jump I die a second right after.

Overall Opinion on the Game:
That last area with the fairies is the last screen I am currently at but overall I feel like this game is really amazing and has a lot of potential to be a good game. The descend into hell area is great for newcomers and the ascend from hell section is challenging for both experience and newcomers although maybe just a bit too much for newcomers. I really love the game, I love the gimmicks, and the music but there a few things I wish that were fixed to help make this a much better game as stated above. I would rank this game a 7/10 and a 8.5/10 once the glitches and complaints I had are addressed.
Post by: Kyir on June 22, 2014, 11:32:14 AM
That's some pretty extensive feedback! I'll look into the bugs you mentioned (though I'm still really perplexed by the music repeat not working in that one area,) so if I ever get around to releasing a new patch that'll be it. I did also make a lot of this game when I was still just trying to figure out how stuff works in game maker, hence a lot of stuff like the timings being too tight. I just never really thought much about how it would be playing the game without knowing how to do stuff. You'll probably either really love or really hate the next gimmick.

Thanks for your review though!
Post by: Mannyg2011 on June 30, 2014, 11:55:27 PM
I got a bit farther into the game and found some more things that I thought you would like to know.

Glitches:
Falling Out of Bounds at the bottom doesn't kill you. I noticed this in the farry area when ever I missed a jump I would keep falling and falling without it ever killing me. I finally did die when I pressed Q Though. Not sure if intentional or not. However it did make the last screen with the fairies a ton easier as I just moved just slightly out of bounds to skip that last timing area. I really just wanted to see what you had planned next.)

Music Loop in the Crimson/Corruption Area that has the new gimmick [Also the song you choose <3] (Also I really loved the gimmick)

Music Loop in Dungeon area again. Takes like 5 minutes this time. Maybe ask some other makers to help you figure out what causing the music from taking so long to loop? I'm sure someone is willing to help you out if you ask.

Stopwatch room Music Loops work great. It in the same area as above but the new music here loops well plus this Gimmick is actually really fun.

Also I highly suggest you make it more clear on where to go next. I came across two "Impossible paths" and I attempted them several times before realizing I was going the wrong way. The first one was in the Hollow area where instead of going left where you are shot up into the air, I went right into the dungeon door  where I thought that room was possible. The Second was the last screen in the air where you had to do several diamonds only using your second jump. I know possible but to do that it would be an extreme difficulty curve.

And in case you are wondering this how far I am into the game now.
(click to show/hide)
I honestly how no idea how close/far I am from the ending but I'm honestly really enjoying the game so far. Great Job Kyir, I wish you the best of luck with finishing the game. I hope Game Maker doesn't cause you too much troubles.
Post by: Swordslinger on July 01, 2014, 12:59:42 AM
falling out of bounds without dying might be because of the engine, why don't your future games use Yutuu?
Post by: Kyir on July 01, 2014, 01:02:47 AM
I'm glad you're enjoying it, and thanks again for all the bug reporting. The falling out of bounds without death is just part of the engine, and there are a few places you can actually exploit it pretty handily. I'm sure I'll fix all the problems some time, but game making isn't super high on my priority/enjoyment list right now.

As for why I use YoSniper's engine Sword, it's comfortable for me and easy to use.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on August 11, 2014, 04:39:41 PM
So Kyir, quick question is the game suppose to end at the Save jumping screen? (By the way fix it so if you fail you get teleported back to the platform. If I didn't backup my save I would have lost all my progressed denRin)

The reason I ask is because I just beat the Plantera boss and got to that screen on stream. After like 10 minutes of trying to beat the save jumping screen I did it only to just fall off the edge at the other end. I know the game unfinished so I was wonder if that was the last screen in v.80

Thank you for your help :D
Post by: Kyir on August 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM
That's the last screen in this version. There's going to be something in there if I ever update, so no mandatory save jumping (although save editing in this engine is quite easy.) I hope you enjoyed the experience overall, though I think you're probably like the second person ever to actually make it right to the boss.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on August 11, 2014, 07:46:04 PM
I'll believe it the game gets really tough at the end but not bad. I think the only thing else I have to add is the music for the boss didn't seem fitting. The music you choose for it felt more like celebration music or credits music not boss music. Other than that great game, nice job
Post by: Kyir on August 12, 2014, 01:35:27 AM
You can now laugh at all the weak peasants who complain bitterly about the engine.
Post by: Kyir on October 07, 2014, 12:35:50 AM
New version fixes music loops (probably,) includes shot blockers (definitely,) and resolves a few of the wonkier jumps earlier in the game.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on November 04, 2014, 05:20:15 AM
Since you updated the game I played through it again for a 3rd time and I gotta say you did a nice job with this update. I've only played the I Wanna Descend Into Hell section not the I Wanna Ascend out of Hell yet.

Improvements:

The problems with the bosses I mention earlier are fixed. They are actually very well done, congrats. My only complaint is that they are still really easy but then again I've been playing Get Rekt a lot so that might be why x3 Still great job with fixing the bosses, a lot more fun.

Music Loops in Wall of Flesh tile set. Congrats the music loops great, I just wish you didn't replace the song  :denRin: I loved the old song but then again I'm majoring in music and a huge orchestra nerd so that might just be me again. But that Oboe solo in the old song was just <3

Problems:

Well not many problems I've encounter other than being really very picky. The first thing I had was in secret 3 with the triggers on the top of the room. Here a picture to help you understand httpss://www.dropbox.com/sh/k5khro1weyz0cz6/AADgpmL1lbDr-Bbx1MPtsxXua?dl=0 (First Picture)

That Spike I have circle so many times, that trigger is really strict and the hardest trigger I had to dodge in a fangame. It is so precise I spent 20 minutes just trying to get past that secret. If you jump over from the bottom or fall in from the top you have like half a second to dodge and it really hard too since you can't really set it up like others. I would say move the trigger up higher and make it a little slower so instead you just do the gate jump, trigger and jump back through the gate or around so it not as precise.

Second problem I had was save placements. In the second picture that features the Magic Mirror which still still kill you even if you enter the correct mirror in the wrong way. Maybe remove the spikes around the spawning section so the player has time to react before they fall to their doom or make it through. This is just for the correct mirrors though, for the incorrect ones, by all means just spawn them on top of spikes but if they have a correct mirror and enter it a wrong way and die, it will just lead to more confusion to that player. So if correct please give them a fair chance to live by removing the spikes around the new spawning station, at least so they have a second to react.

Anyways back to the save placement problem, this is being extremely picky but now that you have save blockers, please add move saves to the ground and add save blockers. You don't have to do this for every save but for the save as shown in the second picture, where you have to use both jumps to get around those spikes, it just an annoyance. Again very very minor, not a real problem to the game.

Over all I really like the new changes :D I just wish it was in a different engine because now that I actually have some experience with fangames and actually decent with fangames, Yosniper's engine just feels so weird. It will take users a long time to adjust to it, it even took me like 10 minutes to adjust to it but I've beaten Descend into Hell and Praise the Sun so I have experience with his engine now. I don't hate his engine though and I will still play games that uses his engine, it just makes the game that uses them much harder. For your future project I hope you try out another engine because I really think you are a good level designer and switching to a different engine will get a lot more people to play your games. Good luck with the fixes Kyir. Next stop Ascend out of Hell
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 17, 2014, 02:52:55 AM
I'm back again and this time I have beaten the full game as shown here. https://puu.sh/dy7ZZ/12a7b41965.PNG (https://puu.sh/dy7ZZ/12a7b41965.PNG) Sub 3 horus Hype  :denProgress:

I've noticed you added some Save Blockers so I actually had to do every screen now, thanks:Kappa: In all seriousness, I actually did have to change my strats for some screens because of the save blockers, such as the last pixie's screen. I mention in the past that I just went off screen to cheat the last save however I actually had to do this time since I couldn't save hover anymore. Wasn't too hard though now that I've gotten a lot better as a player and gotten use to Yosniper's engine. In fact after I got pass that screen, I breezed through the rest of the game in one sitting.

Well the breeze through was a lie since there was one screen that caused me some problem until I figured it out. Not sure if intentional or not but in this screen https://puu.sh/dy805/410d2c2aef.PNG (https://puu.sh/dy805/410d2c2aef.PNG) where the red circle is, if you aren't hugging the wall before you jump, you just go straight up into the spikes. If you hugged the wall then everything worked out fine, also this is where I noticed that Yosniper's engine changes aligns sometimes. Even though I was saved against the wall, sometimes I would be off by a few pixels and I would end up straight up again although that a super minor inconvenience and nothing to worry about.

Overall I'm really happy with this game and I really hope you continue making this game because it really is a lot of fun. Oh and in case you are wondering, all the music loops are perfect now :P Hope you continue working on this game Kyir <3
Post by: Kyir on December 17, 2014, 05:14:31 PM
I can't do anything about aligns changing, and I am aware of that screen you pointed out, but each of those objects is approximately two lines of code so there's not a lot of room for subtlety in them. I'm glad the save blockers stopped some of the erroneous screen skipping, but there are definitely more places out there where you can abuse jumping outside of the map.

You're probably the person who has put the most time ever into one of my games at this point. I encourage you to finish a run and get it into a world record thread, because no one will ever beat it probably.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 17, 2014, 05:24:03 PM
Speedrun this weekend Kappa Actually I was considering it to be honest x3 The secrets would probably be the biggest problem for me since one of them took me about twenty or so minutes. For some reason one of the jumps you put in the secret just kept getting me over and over, it was like learning how to play again x3 But other than that I really enjoyed the game :P
Post by: Kyir on December 17, 2014, 05:41:55 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure how you're doing the green crystal secret at all right now. It seem to still be impossible to me.

Oh, nevermind, I remember how I wanted people to do this now. It's probably the hardest segment of the game to figure out at this point though.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 17, 2014, 05:47:44 PM
To be honest, I don't really know how I am doing it as well x3 I might play through the opening again later tonight on Twitch. I can highlight the green crystal so you can see how I am doing it, and probably laugh because I'm doing it wrong x3
Post by: Kyir on December 17, 2014, 06:47:43 PM
The point is that now's your chance to challenge cosmic or someone else really good to a race and have a good chance of winning.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 21, 2014, 03:36:54 AM
So I haven't been able to stream because I've been sick but I'm feeling better. Also since you said you didn't know how to do secret three here you go https://puu.sh/dDnyk/4e0648a0ad.mp4 Please please PLEASE Nerf this secret because it is sooo hard with the tight triggers. The jump after the trigger is hard as well but that only because I can't really practice it. I would in Record my jumps but that uses a different engine and wouldn't feel the same. Honestly just remove that trigger or make the trigger hitbox bigger and it will be Sooooo much easier. Thank you Kyir
Post by: Kyir on December 21, 2014, 03:25:43 PM
I'll fix it next time I feel like updating the game. It's definitely not as-intended right now.
Post by: Kyir on December 22, 2014, 02:51:59 AM
I fixed the secret (maybe?) and moved most of the saves to ground level except when I had a really good reason to not do so.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 23, 2014, 10:22:59 PM
Was playing through again and find a small problem. Nothing bad for me since I've beaten the game so many times. (also darn it you fixed a skip I was going to use in my speedrun). https://puu.sh/dHivg/0e5b694be8.png  I saved on top of the trigger so when I restart I die right away lol. Not a big problem for me but you should add a save blocker right behind the spike or on top of it to prevent that to happening anyone else.
Post by: Kyir on December 24, 2014, 03:23:21 AM
I fixed it, in addition to other problems, in what is the game's final release (can be found at https://www.mediafire.com/download/ij4edwnwxdvhp38/I_Wanna_Descend_Into_Hell.rar ). There is a use for the secrets at the very end of the game, and a number of particularly annoying jumps have been fixed, though I'm sure there are still a few left. Unless someone finds a game shattering bug, this is the last update I'm going to do. Thanks to everyone for playing until now (especially Manny and Paragus) and I hope people enjoy it in the future.

On a side-note, if anyone decides to play on a stream, they should definitely tell me.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 24, 2014, 04:48:07 AM
Um Kyir, I think with one of your fixes you accidentally made something impossible https://puu.sh/dHAKv/16ef2158ba.png For some reason it not letting me land there, could have accidentally used the wrong block by accident. Also once I beat the new final version, I will be doing a 100% speedrun on stream :P With how much time I've put into this game it only seems like something I should do.
Post by: Kyir on December 24, 2014, 05:08:29 AM
I fixed it. Download from the link again, replace the game file, and the block should be gone. Please tell me if it's not.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on December 24, 2014, 09:32:15 PM
Darn it Kyir https://puu.sh/dIsEY/06cf532f33.png  :Kappa:

Also https://puu.sh/dIsQK/eb1014228b.png

No idea when the first 100% run is, since you know Christmas and Holidays but hopefully not too long.
Post by: Kyir on December 25, 2014, 12:55:51 PM
I wish you luck in getting the world record.
Post by: Mannyg2011 on January 07, 2015, 07:43:52 PM
Yo Kyir https://www.twitch.tv/mannyg2011/c/5833934

1:23:10 for 100% lol. I Can't believe that just happened, I think sub 1 hour is possible because my opening of the game was horrible. :P Just thought you would like to see.
Post by: Kyir on January 08, 2015, 06:20:59 AM
Looks like you have a few minutes you could clip off of worlds 4 and 5, and a bunch to be saved in pixie hell, but a very solid run overall! Definitely better than what I can do in it. Also, the stream cut out on your sick last-bunny screen strat, so I guess it'll stay hidden for forever. Nice boss quick kill too. Get Den to get this on the leaderboard now!

Also, I'm uploading a fixed version of that one screen in sky world with the wrong blocks, so you should download that at your own convenience. Leaving the screen 2 skip in place though.