Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Hop

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Programming Questions / Spawning attack by player x and set y?
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:01:07 AM »
So I am trying to create a boss attack that spawns a sword that shoots up out of the ground and then goes back down. I want it to spawn under the players current position and along the y access of the floor. So I set up an alarm that calls it like so.

if (instance_exists(objPlayer))
{
       var a = instance_create(player.x,y,objGLSword);

alarm[0] = 100;
}

I'm not sure what to put for the y to make it at ground level and the game just crashes whenever the alarm goes off.

In the objGLSword object I just have the image speed set and then it deletes after animation end.

The crash report reads:

Fatal error in action number 1 of alarm event for alarm 3 for object objBoss

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 103930.player(100162, -2147483648)
at gml_objBoss_objAlarm3_1(line 3)- var a = instance_create(player.x,y,objGLSword);

Also how would I make it so the attack would only go off 5 or so times and then the alarm would stop resetting?

PS: I'm using yoyo's studio engine.

Programming Questions / Re: Warping to more than one point in a room
« on: December 22, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply!

I think I must be implementing it wrong though cause the game error messages every time I hit the portal. I'm using Yoyo's engine for studio if that makes a difference. I tried putting the code in several different places and none of them worked.

Programming Questions / Warping to more than one point in a room
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
So I want to have two different places that you can warp to in the same room. For example I have the initial starting spot that you warp to when you get to a new screen and then halfway through you find a secret which takes you to the secret screen. Then once you beat the secret screen I want it to warp you back to where you got the secret rather than having to start the room over again to avoid players being frustrated.

How do I do this? The only solution I could think of was to make an identical room that has the starting point where I want it to be so players think its the same room, but that seems bad and would clutter things.

Video Discussion / Re: Which type are you?
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »
I am Classic #2, but I often pull The Noob here and there. Cool video! I would like to see more of these.

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hi!
« on: November 26, 2015, 10:46:05 PM »
Hello! o/

Game Design / How should Extra Stages/Screens be implemented?
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
As I have been designing a few Extra screens for my game I started to like them more than most of the screens I had in the main game. So my question is why have Extra at all? If you like the screens why not just put them in the main game instead of potentially locking off the best content. I like the idea of finding secrets in order to unlock an extra stage, but realizing then that most players would never see it is discouraging. I can see it as a good reward for dedicated players, but with new games coming out everyday it's hard to retain an audience for very long.

The Lounge / Re: (Fan)Game of the Year Award???
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
I like the idea and its a good way for new and old players alike to see games they may have missed that year.

Programming Questions / Re: Objects pulsing/animating to music?
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try that out.

Programming Questions / Objects pulsing/animating to music?
« on: November 16, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
Not sure if this is something that is possible, but I was thinking it would be cool to have spikes or something similar pulse along with the beat of a song. Is this doable? I've only been playing with Game Maker for a few weeks so I do not know much about it.  Thanks!

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hello
« on: November 14, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
Welcome! Let me know if you ever figure avoidance out. I've been playing for over a year and still suck at them...

I'll help.

The Lounge / Re: Blind RMJ Maps - Round 10
« on: November 06, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »
I'm bad at this.

Meet and Greet! / Yo o/
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »
Hey! My old account got deleted so I figured I better actually use it this time. Maybe started watching fangames two years back and started playing them a year or so ago. Currently trying to get into making my own as of a few days ago. Progress is slow so far :P. I'm HopPros on twitch if you happen to see me in chat ever. Although I tend to lurk mostly.

Pages: 1 2 [3]