Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - Hop

Pages: [1]
Gameplay & Discussion / Favorite Fangames of 2016?
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:15:02 AM »
What was everybody's favorite fangames in 2016? I figured this would be a good opportunity to discuss what games we liked and maybe bring attention to some that may have been overlooked this year.

Programming Questions / Trigger following a Timeline
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »
Hello,
I am trying to make it so when the player hits the trigger object it makes an object further down shoot up and then fall down. I can make it shoot up and fall down (similar to tossing a ball in the air) easily with a Timeline, but I don't want the timeline to start until the player reaches the trigger objects. I've approached it from several different ways, but it mostly ends with the trigger doing nothing and the object just sits there or the object triggers right away. I'm using yoyo's studio engine. 
Some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unfinished / Incomplete / I wanna Explore Space
« on: January 24, 2016, 12:06:37 AM »
Hey everybody,
This is my first fangame. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.mediafire.com/download/ukj7o99kyuisvvu/I+wanna+Explore+Space+V1_15.zip

Heres some screenshots.

(click to show/hide)

Programming Questions / Back to hub key?
« on: January 12, 2016, 01:12:44 AM »
Hey I'm trying to have a hub room at the end of my game where you can revisit screens if you wish. After reaching the hub room I want the player to be able to press a key and return to the hub at anytime. I was trying to use a persistent key press object, but it just broke my game. So how would I implement something like this? An example would be being able to go back in bmxbandit's game Meltdown to do needle or fight a boss by pressing backspace.

I'm using Yoyo's Studio Engine.

Thanks!

Programming Questions / Spawning attack by player x and set y?
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:01:07 AM »
So I am trying to create a boss attack that spawns a sword that shoots up out of the ground and then goes back down. I want it to spawn under the players current position and along the y access of the floor. So I set up an alarm that calls it like so.

if (instance_exists(objPlayer))
{
       var a = instance_create(player.x,y,objGLSword);

alarm[0] = 100;
}

I'm not sure what to put for the y to make it at ground level and the game just crashes whenever the alarm goes off.

In the objGLSword object I just have the image speed set and then it deletes after animation end.

The crash report reads:

Fatal error in action number 1 of alarm event for alarm 3 for object objBoss

Push :: Execution Error - Variable Get 103930.player(100162, -2147483648)
at gml_objBoss_objAlarm3_1(line 3)- var a = instance_create(player.x,y,objGLSword);

Also how would I make it so the attack would only go off 5 or so times and then the alarm would stop resetting?

PS: I'm using yoyo's studio engine.

Programming Questions / Warping to more than one point in a room
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:55:26 AM »
So I want to have two different places that you can warp to in the same room. For example I have the initial starting spot that you warp to when you get to a new screen and then halfway through you find a secret which takes you to the secret screen. Then once you beat the secret screen I want it to warp you back to where you got the secret rather than having to start the room over again to avoid players being frustrated.

How do I do this? The only solution I could think of was to make an identical room that has the starting point where I want it to be so players think its the same room, but that seems bad and would clutter things.

Game Design / How should Extra Stages/Screens be implemented?
« on: November 22, 2015, 01:03:02 PM »
As I have been designing a few Extra screens for my game I started to like them more than most of the screens I had in the main game. So my question is why have Extra at all? If you like the screens why not just put them in the main game instead of potentially locking off the best content. I like the idea of finding secrets in order to unlock an extra stage, but realizing then that most players would never see it is discouraging. I can see it as a good reward for dedicated players, but with new games coming out everyday it's hard to retain an audience for very long.

Programming Questions / Objects pulsing/animating to music?
« on: November 16, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
Not sure if this is something that is possible, but I was thinking it would be cool to have spikes or something similar pulse along with the beat of a song. Is this doable? I've only been playing with Game Maker for a few weeks so I do not know much about it.  Thanks!

Meet and Greet! / Yo o/
« on: November 01, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »
Hey! My old account got deleted so I figured I better actually use it this time. Maybe started watching fangames two years back and started playing them a year or so ago. Currently trying to get into making my own as of a few days ago. Progress is slow so far :P. I'm HopPros on twitch if you happen to see me in chat ever. Although I tend to lurk mostly.

Pages: [1]