Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Sudnep

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The saves exist inside your %appdata% local folder and wont be transferred to people who download the exe of your game.

Meet and Greet! / Re: o/ sup
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:46:58 PM »
Welcome and here is the discord link: https://discord.gg/hxJdpB3

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Need Some Help!!!
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
For games that don't support fullscreen you can use the tool here: https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1406.msg9537#msg9537

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 25, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
These are my personal opinions and not facts but I feel strongly enough about them to defend them. Deserve is a loaded word like TJ had said. I will still use it though because this is opinion based.

How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?
I don't believe creators deserve any appreciation or support but I do believe that they should be recognized for the work they had put into creating their finished product based on their ability to create a unique and interesting experience for the player to enjoy.

Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?
I don't think its right to heavily criticize people, especially if the creator had not asked for it. I find its not helpful to have random_person#244 make a comment on the pixel placement of every individual spike on your game. Part of being a creator is to be able to read the criticizer just as much as the critique itself. If the person who comment on it has little experience and very little knowledge about the entire scheme of things their feedback is usually unimportant and otherwise not worth the time to consider.

How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?
I think people who stream fangames should have some patience and forgiveness but to say how much is an entirely another story. I think its fair to say that if you simply just do not like the game you should not play it but its hard to say how patient and forgiving a streamer should be considering how a lot of fangames are very much the same and you can usually take a good guess as to what will come next and if its worth your investment to play.

What is the right balance of encouraging quality fangames while not scaring off potentially good creators?
There is no good balance for this and there will never be. There are people who are make their first fangame and get entirely destroyed by this community. I've seen it several times where its shoved down their throat about how bad they are which bothers me a lot. Potentially good creators aren't good creators right now and so their ability to judge and criticize the critique itself isn't there yet. As it stands right now I believe a lot of the community is extremely harsh in their critique.

To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)
As proud as you want to be about it. There isn't any issue being proud with making a game like this. However, I do think that if you don't build off of the creativity of others its not as rewarding or deserving of recognition or respect. As an example I think Spook Jam is unique and creative in its own right and is not the creation of just one person but many.

Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?
I do not feel this is appropriate and it bothers me a lot even though its not my own. It makes me lose respect for the people who do this.

To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?
There are fangames that I think are quality fangames and there are fangames others think are quality fangames. There is a very large difference of opinion on something like this but I do think there are many good fangames that don't get the attention they deserve.

To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?
I think after making several fangames of the same type you limit creative growth as a gamemaker, but not as a fangame creator.

Meet and Greet! / Re: Hey!
« on: November 06, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
 :atkHappy:

Tools & Software / GM Tools for Avoidance
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »
I'm just going to make a thread for some tools I made for making avoidances for others to use. These were made in mind for Gamemaker: Studio so don't expect them to work for GM8.0/GM8.1.

GM HSV Tool:
Tool used for finding HSV values for sprites in gamemaker.
It can also be used for colorizing images and saving them for use if you want to have the colorized versions.
httpss://github.com/evanmrettman/GM-HSV-Tool

GM objTimeline:
   This is the object I use for creating avoidances. It has several features such as:
  • Song Skipping - Allows the user to skip around in the song.
  • Step Recorder - Allows the user to record the current instance of time and display it along with every other time the key is pressed.
The object allows for the user to use timelines or a stepcounter variable. Use whatever suits you best but I suggest using a stepcounter variable.
Drag the objTimeline.object.gmx File onto the Gamemaker: Studio UI to import it.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/p6c2z5ch5urywv6/GM_objTimeline.rar

Announcements / Re: The Wannabes auto hosting discussion
« on: September 28, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
I don't see any issue with pruning inactive members / members who don't stream frequently. However I do think there should be exceptions for certain people. As an example: patrickgh3 shouldn't be removed from the team since he provides irregular content that other streams don't provide such as game-making and it's not reasonable to have a consistently active stream of in development work.

he 'no follower alert' should be as self-explanatory as 'don't call out lurkers'. If anything is a requirement, having a non-obnoxious stream layout should be it and a follower alert should fall under the category of being obnoxious.

I don't have any comments on the rest.

This should work but isn't exactly pretty. You could narrow down the name displays if you only label specific rooms that allow transition into new areas.
https://klazen.com/gm/Kdv

objRoomNameEffect needs to use the text and display it in whatever fashion you want. You can do this in the same object as well but you'd have to add a bit of extra coding.

Edit: Fixed what klazen pointed out.

Game Design / Re: Post your Code Snippets
« on: June 19, 2016, 02:52:32 AM »
These are just a bunch of scripts I use for generic effects in avoidance. :) Hopefully someone finds these useful. If you have any problems or errors message me on discord @ Sudnep#2735

The way to use these scripts is to run these scripts is to run scrCreateEvent in the object's create event and then in the step event write whatever scripts you want the object to do within it. An example can be found here: link

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

A zip file containing all of the script.gml files and objTrail for studio can be found here: link

The code you provided is much different from what you had asked. Ignoring that here is an Idea you can use for skipping out on making extra unnecessary objects.

What I generally do is have a variable that I reference to differentiate sets of the same objects through this variable. I call it 'tag'.

With this variable I can set it upon creation of the object(s) and then later reference it like this:

Code: [Select]
STEPCOUNTER++;
if (STEPCOUNTER == 1) {
          for(var i=0;i<10;i++){
                    a=instance_create(x,y,deliciousFruit);
                    a.speed = 10;
                    a.direction = (360/10)*i;
                    a.tag = 1;
          }
          a.direction = point_direction(x,y,player.x,player.y);
          a.speed = 1;
}
if (STEPCOUNTER == 50) {
          with(deliciousFruit) { if (tag == 1) {
                    repeat(20) {
                              a.direction = random(360);
                              a.speed = 15;
                    }
          } }
}

When STEPCOUNTER is 1 it will create 10 deliciousFruit with a tag of 1 in even directions in a circle as well as creates an deliciousFruit that will move towards the players position.

When STEPCOUNTER is 50 it will create 20 deliciousFruit at each deliciousFruit that has a tag equal to 1 in random directions. It also will ignore the deliciousFruit that was moving in the direction of the player, allowing you to reference different sets of deliciousFruit that you had created.

With code like this you can use the built in script in the engine (splitObject?) and reference the cherries like so:
Code: [Select]
with(deliciousFruit) { if (tag == 1) {
            splitObject(<someargumentsgohere>);
} }

EDIT:
I also suggest creating a step event code in the deliciousFruit for handling orbiting like you have in the code you presented with a variable to toggle it on or off. It will be easier to control and you won't have to write it every time you want to do it.

Variable objWorld.rMiku(100007, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
 at gml_Script_scrGetMusic (line 14) -     case rMiku:

In the script scrGetMusic @ line 14 there is a variable that doesn't exist. That variable is rMiku.

I'm guessing you renamed a room from rMiku to something else or haven't created the room rMiku.

Programming Questions / Re: GM Lite Logo Removal(?)
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:44:25 PM »
I never really thought about it but with blend modes and proper positioning couldn't you remove it by canceling out the colors or something?

Game Design / Re: RNG in avoidance. Doing it RIGHT.
« on: January 21, 2016, 11:52:13 AM »
On a serious note. what ones should actually be played to get good?  I'm not saying the easiest. but the ones tha twill actually drill into you how to play.

https://delicious-fruit.com/ratings/game_details.php?id=11725

Game Design / Re: RNG in avoidance. Doing it RIGHT.
« on: January 19, 2016, 04:50:53 PM »
I see what you are saying, but i suspect that i haven't explained my position well enough..

I will give a simplified and very contrived example.

There are 5 switches. ONE of them is required to open the door. the other 4 will cause spikes to rise from the floor and kill you. these spikes are screenwide, and avoiding them is impossible once triggered.

lets' say 90% of the time, it's switch B that opens the door, but 5 percent of the time, i's A, 2.5 percent, it's C, 1.25 it's D, and 1.25 percent it's E.

Now clearly it's my fault if i die when i pick E, since it's very unlikely not to kill me. and i will know thaat after a coupel of attempts.  But if I pick B, and still die, is that somehow my fault?
You're trying to use a simplified example of something that is hardly simple. You're trying to put a near infinite range of possible outcomes into five options with clearly set specific chances of death.

This lets alone the fact that the chances provided are devoid of player skill which you're obviously trying to supplement for chances which is hardly how it works.

For the sake of an example that actually is usable, we'll use GENKI. I can't run it because it stopped working on my computer. However, as an example I can guarantee you that with an infinite amount of time and the one impossible case removed (giant lazer after chex mix), you could spend most likely forever on the boss provided you can perfectly press your inputs, even without the knowledge of what part of RNG comes next. AKA doing genki final boss with TAS.

The only strategy you'll ever be satisfied with is the one where you don't play the game.

This is where I stop.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9