Author Topic: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!  (Read 93381 times)

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157 Chrome 44.0.2403.157
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
shit dude i didn't know that shadows made the text mountain challenge
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

bananaguy12

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
If you do this, you should at some point feature all the wannabes. Be fair to all of them.

We are planning on selecting new Wannabes every month that are active streamers on twitch.tv.

Onto a separate suggestion. The main reason I don't use the site honestly is because of the lack of any real discussion interface. I like the site for the most part but I feel as though a stream of one-off reviews is limiting. I'm not suggesting any massive overhaul but it would be nice if there was a tab under every game where people could discuss them like a kind of mini forum thread. I'm not sure whether I think it should be integrated into reviews as I don't think people should have to defend their opinions and it might just lead to harassment. I think it's useful because only a fraction of the games on the website have a forum analogue and it would be useful to be able to ask questions and discuss every game because some Japanese games might have text that doesn't display on computers with English as the default and instead of these games getting downvoted or ignored by the western community, people could post how to progress. For instance one fangame a while back, I forget the name, had a puzzle where you had to type numbers into a computer, only the text was messed up and the English was badly translated so I had to find a youtube video so I knew what to do as I thought you had to multiply or add the numbers etc. I spoke to Piece about it a while back and he said he'd suggested something similar as well.

While I don't think the re-quote of your own text was necessary, a discussion tab for each game will be considered. Del-Fruit, among other things, has no real way to communicate to a wide audience instantly. A discussion tab for each game would solve this issue, however, I can already see it being abused far more than just the reviews themselves. This would also have to be heavily moderated, which is something we would like to avoid. We would rather have a self-sufficient system in which the community can regulate itself. A discussion panel, unfortunately, would probably have to be moderated because of certain comments made towards the game, the creator, or other community members. We have a strict policy against disparaging comments towards any of the 3 parties listed, and we would have to apply this to the discussion panel, which undermines the point of a 'discussion' entirely.

In addition, a discussion panel acts as a mini-forum for the game. Although we wish for Del-Fruit to be successful in a variety of ways, we do not want it to be a place for discussion. This is what a forum is for, and we would rather drive traffic to this site for discussion. Forum-like changes made to Del-Fruit could hurt these forums in the long run, which is something we also want to avoid. Let this site stand as a place for discussion and image sharing, while let Del-Fruit stand as a place for reviews, ratings, and other minor add-ins.

How often is actively streaming?

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows NT 10.0 Windows NT 10.0
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.155 Chrome 44.0.2403.155
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
There's nothing set in stone, it's just a common sense thing. It's better to feature someone who will stream at least once during that month, ya know :Kappa: But at the same time, I don't need you to have an established M-F schedule with at least 4 hours a day or something like that.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2015, 04:41:43 PM »
I can say with absolute certainty that everyone is taking this way too seriously and should just sit back and see who gets picked a few more times before whining. A sample size of one isn't exactly enough to make any conclusions about favoritism or trends or anything. Constantly making demands of people doing something for free is really unseemly.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:45:01 PM by Kyir »

Derf

« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »
I can say with absolute certainty that everyone is taking this way too seriously and should just sit back and see who gets picked a few more times before whining. A sample size of one isn't exactly enough to make any conclusions about favoritism or trends or anything. Constantly making demands of people doing something for free is really unseemly.
No one's making demands - suggestions were asked for and suggestions were given. No one was jumping to conclusions at all, as far as I can see people were just voicing their hopes for the future of the feature. The people who I would say were overreacting are those who for some reason felt so threatened by people hoping for fair representation (that might I add, was promised) that they had to pretend that those who want it have some vested interest/only care about views.

The problem is people are jumping to attack without actually reading what's been said. Lawatson said "I would simply like to know if your picks will range to the streamers with less viewers, such as Iginlaj and JGBMaster." He didn't jump to conclusions, he didn't say "You're only picking big streamers!!! This is tyranny!!", he simply asked about the procedure for picking and mentioned that he felt it would be nice for streamers with less views to also get the spotlight if they weren't already. JGBMaster said "I'm ok with it as long as the channels (from The Wannabes Twitch team) are randomly selected." - where are the conclusions being jumped to there? Klazen asked how people felt about the feature and JGBMaster gave an honest and extremely reasonable answer. But then you have people like Moose immediately jumping to "[It] only seems to upset new small streamers who are hoping to get bigger fast." Where exactly did that come from? And then we get facetious edgelords saying stuff like "looks like another domination tool to be used by the oppressive fangame regime"/"yours truly, The Oppressive Fangame Regime". These last two pages have been a trainwreck of strawmanning at its worst. No one is demanding anything, people were voicing extremely reasonable opinions/suggestions which were asked for by the creators of the site.

No one was demanding or whining or whatever it is you're asserting - people were simply giving their opinion on the feature, that they hope the streamers are randomly chosen and no weighting is given to how popular they are.

I'm not even sure why this conversation is still happening, Klazen and tehjman assured everyone that representation would be fair and that's the end of it. Oppressive fangame regime overthrown! I really don't see any reason to dredge this up again.

My account logs itself out every couple hours or so - is this intentional? Is it a browser thing? It's kinda annoying.

EDIT: Also a glitch I just found, I'm not sure if you know but even if you have multiple spoilers in one post, clicking to reveal one will reveal all of them but leave the buttons to reveal the others ones intact.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:29:11 PM by Derf »

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2015, 08:48:23 PM »
EDIT: Also a glitch I just found, I'm not sure if you know but even if you have multiple spoilers in one post, clicking to reveal one will reveal all of them but leave the buttons to reveal the others ones intact.

I noticed this on the review that you just posted, never tested it with multiple spoilers in a single review! I've updated the javascript to fix it; you may need to do a force refresh on your browser to pick it up immediately, otherwise it'll grab it when it feels like it!

Oh yeah and this:
My account logs itself out every couple hours or so - is this intentional? Is it a browser thing? It's kinda annoying.

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm not 100% sure what the cause of this is... despite adding in cookie sessioning, there are instances when you still get logged out. It seems to work fine for me most of the time, so it's hard to debug. I don't have a lot of experience in from-scratch web development, so I'm not really sure what to look for!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:54:32 PM by klazen108 »

Derf

« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2015, 08:59:27 PM »
I noticed this on the review that you just posted, never tested it with multiple spoilers in a single review! I've updated the javascript to fix it; you may need to do a force refresh on your browser to pick it up immediately, otherwise it'll grab it when it feels like it!

Nice :~)

I'm gonna be honest and say I'm not 100% sure what the cause of this is... despite adding in cookie sessioning, there are instances when you still get logged out. It seems to work fine for me most of the time, so it's hard to debug. I don't have a lot of experience in from-scratch web development, so I'm not really sure what to look for!
In between me saying that and you replying it's logged me out again ahah :~) No worries if it's not a quick fix, just didn't know if it was my browser or the site. Not too much of an issue anyway. Appreciate all the effort!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:03:10 PM by Derf »

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 45.0.2454.85 Chrome 45.0.2454.85
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2015, 04:47:54 AM »
I don't actually think there were many demands going on, I just wanted to show you how it felt to be accused of that.

Derf

« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
I don't actually think there were many demands going on, I just wanted to show you how it felt to be accused of that.
Oh grow up Kyir. Why bring up an old argument for no reason in this thread? Last I checked we had a thread for discussing this and you didn't bother replying. If it still hurts you so much go back and reply to that thread (the thread in which I had to explain basic English to you because you insist that the word "encourage", the one I used, is a synonym for "demand"). If you must keep flogging the dead horse that is this nonsensical strawman at least have the courtesy to do it in the thread we were discussing it in, instead of intentionally riling people up and sullying a thread dedicated to hard-working people doing something for the benefit of the community.

Kyir

• The Kid
  • Normal Guy
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 8.0 Safari 8.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »
If you weren't so meandering in making your points I would probably be more likely to read/respond appropriately to them. I don't have the energy to read things I enjoy these days, let alone your TOS-agreements of posts.

I will definitely apologize to TJ and Klazen next time I talk to them though. My continued harassment of both of them has gone on for far too long.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:33:35 PM by Kyir »

Arclooper

• Wannabe
  • The plot chickens
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 40.0 Firefox 40.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Gamepad
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »
This would be a good time for the oppressive fangame regime to do some oppressing, yall need to chill.

This isn't even a big deal, and the funny part is even if it was, I don't think any of the sides actually doubt that TJ and klazen would manage it well, so this discussion is even more meaningless. Some drama now and then is funny to watch, but you gotta feel sorry for both of them, they were just trying to do something nice and they get this shitstorm holy crap.

Derf

« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
This would be a good time for the oppressive fangame regime to do some oppressing, yall need to chill.

This isn't even a big deal, and the funny part is even if it was, I don't think any of the sides actually doubt that TJ and klazen would manage it well, so this discussion is even more meaningless. Some drama now and then is funny to watch, but you gotta feel sorry for both of them, they were just trying to do something nice and they get this shitstorm holy crap.
I know right. The most saddening thing is that the whole big/small streamer debacle has been 'resolved' a fair few times now & there's literally no point to continuing the discussion but people keep coming back to reignite it because they feel as though they have something to defend, or in Kyir's case just coming back to flame aimlessly.

I did contact a moderator a while back as it really is truly ridiculous, but they don't appear to have gotten the message yet.

In terms of the site, something I'd recommend is a filter to the "Read more reviews!" page with the options of "Reviews/Ratings/Both". Going one step further, it might be nice to have a "buddy system" where you can flag users as buddies, or follow them, or something, and there'd be a tab for filtering out all recent reviews to just those of your friends/people you like the opinions of. It would be less cumbersome than checking their accounts individually. I don't think it should be publicly viewable who is following who if we want to avoid ganging up and such, which seems to be a worry of Klazen/tehjman's, but I do think it would help the site feel less disparate, which is my general problem with it. (And something you seem to agree with by worry of lacking communication on the site).

Again, it's just a suggestion and, as you can see by my heightened presence there over the past few days, I do enjoy the site as is, but I do believe it could be a bit more user-friendly just in terms of being able to penetrate the wall that is streams of one-off reviews.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:11:54 PM by Derf »

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.133 Chrome 44.0.2403.133
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2015, 04:03:52 PM »
All of yall, calm down.
You have received a warning, Kyir.

If this discussion remains heated, I will not hesitate to hand out more warnings.

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 44.0.2403.157 Chrome 44.0.2403.157
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2015, 04:35:05 PM »
Disclaimer: I am typing this from a phone, I take no responsibility for auto-correct errors.

After reading some more of this discussion, I first ask that everyone keep it civilized. I don't want anyone getting warned/banned from the forums because of some silly feature discussion on some silly review site. I will not respond to anyone that I feel is only using this thread as a way to attack another.

That being said: I noticed a few more suggestions have been mentioned since my last post, as well as some slight misunderstanding about my vision for delicious-fruit. I will clarify these points as concise as possible, because there are way too many long posts in this thread :ResidentSleeper:

"Discussion" and Del-Fruit: Yes, del-fruit has reviews. Yes, we have community involvement in the sense of ratings, screenshots, and comments (as well as misc. profile information). No, we do not have a "forum"-like discussion area, such as a discussion tab where users could post "How do I beat x Boss in this game?" or "What do you do in the puzzle room?" These questions are constantly asked, at least from what I see on Twitch. I want these questions to reside on these forums, not our own del-fruit forums. I want people to use these forums to the extent that they should be used (see: increase use). Rather, adding a discussion tab on del-fruit (even if is just a comment-like section) may divert traffic from here to del-fruit, something we wish to avoid.

More options: We will definitely take this into consideration to help refine searches on del-fruit, specifically through the "read more reviews!" button. In the future, we will attempt to make this both user-friendly and well-refined.

A "buddy" system: I have not heard this idea before, and it is quite interesting. I will have to consult with Klazen how practical this idea is, however, I like the idea of it. Of course, any user that you are "buddy" with (or just "following", whatever) will have to be set to private, such that any other user cannot see your buddy list, nor can you see theirs. It would be interesting to compare your own clear lists, ratings, and reviews to that of your buddies' list. Most certainly a consideration.

I hope this clears up everything up to this point. I hope most of the wildfire surrounding the "Wannabe of the Month" has died down, which it looks like it has. My phone is nearly dead, so I'll stop here.

Thanks for choosing Oppressive Fangame Regime™ Delicious-Fruit as your site of choice! not like you had any other option #FangameMonopoly #BringBackBingo

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:57 PM »
it might be nice to have a "buddy system" where you can flag users as buddies, or follow them, or something, and there'd be a tab for filtering out all recent reviews to just those of your friends/people you like the opinions of. It would be less cumbersome than checking their accounts individually. I don't think it should be publicly viewable who is following who if we want to avoid ganging up and such, which seems to be a worry of Klazen/tehjman's, but I do think it would help the site feel less disparate, which is my general problem with it. (And something you seem to agree with by worry of lacking communication on the site).

Done! You can now follow a user on their page, and filter the reviews page by buddies/all if you're logged in. I'll probably add extra features for this (maybe mark buddies' reviews on game pages with a star or something idk) if I get more time. Let me know if this is useful or if you encounter any bugs (of which I'm sure there are a ton ;; )

EDIT: tfw I got the 108th post :4Head:

EDIT 2: We've updated the site to only display downloadable fangames in the "Newest Fangames" list on the homepage. Anyone can still submit games, but they won't show up there since normal users can't add download links. If you report the game and add a download link an admin will review your request, and if approved it will appear in the newest fangames list. All games added are still visible in the full list, and available to be searched at any time. Note that if you want to add a game to the wiki and to delfruit, DON'T SUBMIT IT TO DELFRUIT! We'll pick it up as part of our daily scan of new games on the wiki. Thanks again for your support!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:58:07 PM by klazen108 »