Author Topic: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!  (Read 93381 times)

JGBMaster

• Spike Dodger
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.90 Chrome 42.0.2311.90
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »
I found this while looking for a hard game to play.

I think it's not just me the only who thinks there are tons of harder games than Color. I don't know if you guys are already trying to moderate ratings and all that stuff (I believe you do) but I just wanted you to know it.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/jgb_iw
YouTube: gamemastr97
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jgb_iw
Speedrun.com: https://www.speedrun.com/jgbmaster
Discord: JGB#1037

pieceofcheese87

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Personal Text
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Tv Channel
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »
I found this while looking for a hard game to play.

I think it's not just me the only who thinks there are tons of harder games than Color. I don't know if you guys are already trying to moderate ratings and all that stuff (I believe you do) but I just wanted you to know it.

just to let you know, that game is i wanna color, not i wanna be the color. and you can report reviews if you have a problem with them. no need to post it here.
Signature

Swordslinger

• Sectional Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 33.0.1750.154 Chrome 33.0.1750.154
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
I am pretty sure he knows that piece, i think both Jgb and Myself know who Belief actually is, hes like Lie and the L Games, and wow, that game is no where near impossible, lol.

Really though, sorry to say, it is my biggest complaint about the site and it's something that can't even be fixed, is just some of the reviews, not all of them, make just no sense to me, no offense intended but some just make me scratch my head haha (Sadly it's something i think everyone is aware about as well). Also no Jgb, you aren't the only one.

The site itself is good and i like it to an extent don't get me wrong, it's just the reviews on it, just to clarify.
A Random Signature

kilgour22

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 42.0.2311.135 Chrome 42.0.2311.135
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »
Perhaps there could be an FAQ section for DelFruit in a future update, in case people have any questions relating to things like rating their own games, rating in general, adding screenshots, tagging games, etc.?
Don't let a spike ruin your day.

Joni

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 01:06:30 AM »
If we had a sufficiently large amount of submitted reviews we could actually include something that does not include reviews that are too far away from the average rating of the game. (Games with too few reviews would simply not have a rating then).
Another solution would be to include minimum number of reviews in the advanced search tab as a parameter.

Nonetheless both only work if there is a sufficiently large amount of reviews submitted. Especially for people that are into very hard games, this will not make things better at all..

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 02:05:05 PM »
If we had a sufficiently large amount of submitted reviews we could actually include something that does not include reviews that are too far away from the average rating of the game. (Games with too few reviews would simply not have a rating then).
Another solution would be to include minimum number of reviews in the advanced search tab as a parameter.

Nonetheless both only work if there is a sufficiently large amount of reviews submitted. Especially for people that are into very hard games, this will not make things better at all..

In statistics, a general rule of thumb is getting around 15 people to respond to something before you can start "guessing" a community rating. Of course, with less than that number, reviews will be slightly tilted in one way or another due to the average not being a great measure of central tendency. You can contribute by submitting honest reviews and encouraging others to do the same. Saying that this will not make things better at all is simply ridiculous, as a review system needs to start somewhere. It continues to grow every day with screenshots, ratings, and reviews. Setting a minimum does more harm than good, as it would censor those that have reviewed a less popular game.

Perhaps there could be an FAQ section for DelFruit in a future update, in case people have any questions relating to things like rating their own games, rating in general, adding screenshots, tagging games, etc.?

We are not willing to tell creators that they cannot review their own game. Yes, it is common courtesy to do so. No, we are not restricting any user unless ToS are breached. A FAQ based on rating in general/adding screenshot/etc is something I'd most certainly consider for the future.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2015, 11:33:25 PM »
In statistics

Uh oh, you guys have done it now. TJ's bringing out the big guns :Kappa:

also... (as of may 4)

Looks like things are working out, and I didn't even have to remove any reviews ;)

Aelya

• Cherry Eater
  • love~ <3
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • stream
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 07:58:20 AM »
i appreciate author comments tbh, also it's definitely better than nothing

Joni

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »

In statistics, a general rule of thumb is getting around 15 people to respond to something before you can start "guessing" a community rating. Of course, with less than that number, reviews will be slightly tilted in one way or another due to the average not being a great measure of central tendency. You can contribute by submitting honest reviews and encouraging others to do the same. Saying that this will not make things better at all is simply ridiculous, as a review system needs to start somewhere. It continues to grow every day with screenshots, ratings, and reviews. Setting a minimum does more harm than good, as it would censor those that have reviewed a less popular game.
I agree that having a strict minimum for required reviews is not a good thing. However I would like to be able to search the database for games with a minimum of n submitted reviews to get a list that consists of games that a somewhat larger amount of people agree on being good. This cannot do any harm as an option in advanced search, as people can just neglect to use it.

Also I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I didnt want to say that submitting more reviews would make things worse for people into harder games but implementing what I wrote above would.

Also: One of the problems when dealing with the wiki has always been broken links.. Is there any consensus on how to deal with that?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:53:42 PM by Joni »

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 02:25:20 PM »
Also: One of the problems when dealing with the wiki has always been broken links.. Is there any consensus on how to deal with that?

Our links for the games go straight to the wiki; there's no way to confirm if a link still works other than by trying it. If a link is broken you can report the game to tell us to remove the link (and people often do!) - then you can do an advanced search with 'Require Download Link' to find games you can download.

I'll look into including review count as a parameter in the advanced search, but that code is getting pretty unwiedly as it is :P

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:05 PM »
It seems that, whenever I click on the subcategory box to see the list of each game that is in that subcategory, it takes me straight to the full fangame list.

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 12:50:24 AM »
Sorry about that! I've fixed the issue.

I had to rework the search query recently, turns out we have so much information in the database that I had to optimize the query to get it to even run... Guess I broke it a little bit! :D

Joni

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 01:45:58 AM »

Our links for the games go straight to the wiki; there's no way to confirm if a link still works other than by trying it. If a link is broken you can report the game to tell us to remove the link (and people often do!) - then you can do an advanced search with 'Require Download Link' to find games you can download.

I'll look into including review count as a parameter in the advanced search, but that code is getting pretty unwiedly as it is :P
I recall reading something like "delicious fruit is not meant to replace the wiki", so I just wanted to make sure what the general policy for reuploads is supposed to be.. I.E. should users post links to reuploads in the reviews if the download link doesnt work anymore?

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
No, you should never post a link to a game on delfruit unless you're the author. If you're the author, you should put it in the wiki and we'll pick it up from there, that's the easiest solution. If you're not the author, then you need to ask the author to do that for you. If the author isn't reachable/isn't around anymore, then there's not really anything you can do :atkCry: but we're not accepting link submissions from anyone but the original author, to prevent distribution of private games.

Joni

• Wannabe
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
Yeah that's kind of what I expected, thought I'd ask nonetheless.