Poll

Please read before voting - Do you want a Challenge Board?

Yes - make it happen!
18 (100%)
No - I'm not really interested in the whole idea
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: December 17, 2014, 02:19:31 PM

Author Topic: Concept: Weekly Fangame Challenge  (Read 5232 times)

OhNoezEinPandy

• Spike Dodger
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.71 Chrome 39.0.2171.71
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Concept: Weekly Fangame Challenge
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
Hello People!

Based on Paragusrants idea in the Fangame Leaderboards back in March (https://www.iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=502.15) I want to create a leaderboard in which not the time counts but rather beating the actual game. The whole idea is based around giving Streamers something to do while nobody is available for a big race and maybe some Forum promotion  :Kappa:.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Concept:

A Fangame is being handed out (links are provided of course) on a Monday and everybody can answer the Challenge Thread with the link to their Past Broadcast on Twitch or other kind of proof where they complete the challenge. Just the last few segments should be enough for varification. Everybody who answered the thread gets a point on this Spreadsheet:

Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O5kcLUxXYh8m4JZC1jn1TSwiOuIPAqr5pvcsl6fkz-s/edit?usp=sharing

On the next Monday evening, the next game is being handed out and the previous week closes. At the end of a Season (maybe ~3 months) the winner gets announced and gets all the fame  :Kreygasm:.

The games itself should be rather long/or have atleast decent difficulty. I'm thinking of somewhere in the LvL 60-70 bracket of the difficulty list and about 3-5 hours in length for a decent player. An easier game for the 2nd sheet is provided for beginners (those leaderboards will be handled completely separated).

Rules:

Weeks - A week would start at Monday 20:00 pm CEST (+01:00 h) and the old one closes at the exact same time. That should be around 13:00 pm for American timezones. Opening and closing a week would be signalized by a post of mine in the Thread where we are going to hold this tournament. (An Edit of the OP will happen with the next Fangame name and the DL)

Varification - Link to a Past Broadcast is fine because those exist for 12 days. Youtube is fine too. For Screenshots I thought, separating the brackets could be a good idea because there is no real way to check if the game has been played in said week.

Twitch Channel - It would be nice if you have a link to these forums in your channel description. Its not really mandatory but would maybe get some people into fangames.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Thoughts/Problems:

- Choosing the Fangame: Players have different taste in Fangames and especially my own one is absurd in some others opinion. Maybe we could find some guy who can handles that or atleast gives thought about which game to choose. It is expected that you will not like every fangame but you will always have the option to just skip a week. This is honestly my biggest concern so far.

- Separating video proof from screenshots: That's a tough one. I honestly want to run this "contest" in order to get more streaming content for everyone on the IWBTG part of twitch.tv but I don't want to exclude anyone in participating. That's why I thought keeping a separate column for Screenshots would be a good idea.

- Time Format: Currently this whole thing is structured on a week-to-week basis. Maybe it is beneficial to stretch segments into 2-weeks?

- Keeping the Tiny Board?: The Intention of this contest to get people into playing some of the bigger/harder games with a provided timeframe which should be more than sufficient to deal with it. A beginners bracket would be kinda against that but maybe it is just more content for everyone because players could participate in both brackets at the same time?

Anyway, if you like this idea I would volunteer to keep those spreadsheets up-to-date and give out the fangames and deal with every other hassle connected with it. I'll add a poll to this thread and if this reaches about ~15 Yes, I will see that the basis is big enough to actually make it happen.

Thank you for reading!

TL;DR: I give Fangames, you beat them, you get bigger E-Peen and the Forum becomes filled. :OneHand:

klazen108

• Administrator
  • The Kid
  • your a kid now your a squid now
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Delicious-Fruit
Re: Concept: Weekly Fangame Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Sick idea, My E-Peen could use a little lengthening :Kappa: I'll give the beginners' challenge a try, if the fangames you suggested on there are indicative of what you would actually choose then that sounds right at my skill level

petsson12

• Spike Dodger
  • I'm addicted to cats
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 38.0.2125.104 Chrome 38.0.2125.104
    • View Profile
    • my livestream yo
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

- Choosing the Fangame: Players have different taste in Fangames and especially my own one is absurd in some others opinion. Maybe we could find some guy who can handles that or atleast gives thought about which game to choose. It is expected that you will not like every fangame but you will always have the option to just skip a week. This is honestly my biggest concern so far
Maybe the players should have a choice what genre to play while keeping it at the same level, like in bingo  :IceFairy:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Valioa

• Cherry Eater
  • I love pie and choke on fangames :)
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 04:18:42 PM »
One of the best ideas I've seen >:3  I pray the fangames aren't too impossible for most people though.  We should start with a fangame thats somewhat hard, where the majority can beat it, then eventually rise to more challenging fangames like NANG true end, or I Wanna be the Justice maybe xD (idk if justice is hard).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:46:18 PM by Valioa »
"If you spend all of your time trying to avoid danger, you'll never move forward.

We know the danger. But if that risk means solving the mystery, we have no choice.

Am I wrong?" - Kyoko Kirigiri

Plynq

• Cherry Eater
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
Nice idea support! :atkLove:

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 05:37:02 PM »
I support screenshots. For once, I can participate, as Twitch/streaming just won't work for me at all.

OhNoezEinPandy

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 07:01:22 PM »
Obviously there are going to be multiple people who will beat every single game (if difficulty is around 60-70 lvl), so what will decide the winner then?

Really cool idea though, it's not that competitive and will most likely encourage more people to join.

Then we just don't end the season and call it an all time Leaderboard  :Kappa:. On a serious note: I think the difficulty will rise every month or two or we keep it as it is. Funnily enough, some of the lvl 60-70 games are really hard. This is a long time project so even wiping out the leaderboards for a new season is questionable. And if we're looking at an actuall all time Leaderboard, it doesn't matter if some players are always at full points.

Maybe the players should have a choice what genre to play while keeping it at the same level, like in bingo  :IceFairy:

Choosing 2 quality games is already hard enough on the course over some weeks. I'm currently trying to get into contact with people who have a wide taste in fangame genres. Besides that, pushing you out of your comfort zone (genre) is the purpose here.

If you really, really, really don't want to play the game. Just skip the current week and get lucky on the next one.  :BloodTrail:

ShadowsDieAway

• Spike Dodger
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari 7.0 Safari 7.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »
This is a great idea, especially for people like me who aren't good enough to speedrun a game but still want to beat them. Nice Pandy

tehjman1993

• Global Moderator
  • The Kid
  • Meme Enthusiast
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 10:44:33 PM »
I support this idea. If you need help organizing/setting up anything Pandy, you know where to find me.

Stepcore

• Cherry Eater
  • Dreamer of Wizard
  • Mac OS X Mac OS X
  • Browser:
  • Safari Safari
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:07:38 AM »
Really good idea.
:PogChamp:

OhNoezEinPandy

• Spike Dodger
  • Linux Linux
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.59 Chrome 39.0.2171.59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:39 AM »
Small Update: I have started a spreadsheet with a list of games and try to reach TJ on skype for commenting/editing the games. In the meanwhile the win8 problem for fangames occured to me. I hope he does know which fangames are crashing.

The list itself is kept secret of course but I can tell you that I am currently at ~30 games for challenge and ~8 for Tiny.

General guidelines:

Challenge: no 1-frame/jump cancel, no double Invert, no downwards Plane, doesn't require advanced align knowlegde

Tiny: little to no 2-frame-jumps, no Double Diamond, no Inverts, no fulljump Planes (3 blocks high), doesn't require aligns at all.

I will try to insert a time estimation into that and take my blind first playthroughs as a marker. So we don't have players smacking their face for 20 hours against a brickwall.

Some games will not make the cut obviously so the number of games will be decreased later. It currently contains every genre from Adventure, Adventure (with Avoidance bosses), Needle, Needle (with Avoidance), Puzzle and heavy trolls. Pure Avoidance games are currently not in because it is very hard to get a time estimation for them.

That's it for now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:06:43 AM by OhNoezEinPandy »

ethinthenougathorn

• Spike Dodger
  • jung, brutal, gutaussehend
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 35.0.1916.153 Chrome 35.0.1916.153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 12:59:48 PM »
i really think it`s a great idea, too.
maybe, when some people have the same rank at the end, you could make a toss to find the winner.

also, its great that you want to distinguish between video proof and screenshots, because screenshots are so easy to fake and it would be a shame if a cheater would win but also a shame if a non-streamer couldnt participate.
If you wanna hang out youve got to take her out; cocaine.
If you wanna get down, down on the ground;
cocaine.
She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie;
cocaine.

infern0man1

• ~(=^・ω・^)ψ
  • Global Moderator
  • Oatmeal Killer
  • Dear sir stroke madam, fire exclamation point
  • Windows Vista/Server 2008 Windows Vista/Server 2008
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
What's up with all of the TASes

OhNoezEinPandy

• Spike Dodger
  • Browser:
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
Last Update:

TJ and I worked together for about an hour and we got stuff done:

- Game list is nearly complete for atleast 3 months (order will still be randomized)

- Spreadsheet has been reworked so Streamers and Screenshotters are now in one big bracket with individual counters

- GLOD has been added to the spreadsheet, the player with the best ingame time will have a gold button in that week (no actual extra points, just shinies)

- logistical issues on setting the whole thing up in the forum have been cleared

So essentially we are ready to go!  :MVGame:

Tomorrow I will post the Main Thread (Spreadsheet, explanation, rules, etc.) in the Tournament forum and the first Challenge thread will be posted on Monday.