Author Topic: One-frame cancels: The numlock method  (Read 5845 times)

lawatson

• The Kid
  • I do things and I make things.
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
One-frame cancels: The numlock method
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:03 AM »
Hello, scrubs and scrublets! I know you likely came here because you didn't know how to jump cancel. I will skip all the technical stuff and get straight to it.

To jump cancel with the number lock, you first have to have the number lock enabled.

After that, you should practice full jumping. It's easy. Just hold down the jump key until you reach the ground. Like this!

Next, practice canceling the jump input mid-jump. To do this, hold the jump key and then also hold one of the numlock keys AFTER holding jump. Like this:

At this point, make sure you have had BOTH the jump AND number held down. If that is correct, then we can finally progress to the jump cancel!
Do NOT press any directional keys(left or right). This will mess up the jump cancel. Release the jump key and do NOT release the number key.
This will make you jump cancel!  :atkHappy: If you did it right, your jump will look like this:

Now, you will probably be wondering, "How do I jump cancel and hold a directional key?"
Well, fellow scrub, it's simple.

You should be able to jump cancel correctly, but know that the jump cancel is done at the MOMENT you release the jump key.
This specific moment is very important, because it's the frame that it's SAFE to press a directional key. Hopefully that answers it!

Let's see an example of a well done jump cancel.

This ends the tutorial. I hope you have the powers now! Good luck on your needling.

EDIT:

Apparently you can double cancel with this, too! To do it, hold down shift and violently mash-release two other numlock keys in this manner:

Frame 1{
Press numlock 1
}
Frame 2{
press numlock 2
}
Frame 3{
release numlock 1
release numlock 2
}

The result looks like this:

Anyways, congrats on learning to jump cancel! (Hopefully)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:15:57 AM by lawatson »
(click to show/hide)

smoke weed everyday

petsson12

• Spike Dodger
  • I'm addicted to cats
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.71 Chrome 39.0.2171.71
    • View Profile
    • my livestream yo
Re: One-frame cancels: The numlock method
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:40:57 AM »
Great  :atkHappy:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Valioa

• Cherry Eater
  • I love pie and choke on fangames :)
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Chrome 39.0.2171.95 Chrome 39.0.2171.95
    • View Profile
Re: One-frame cancels: The numlock method
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
Nice guide watson! you made jump cancel seem quite elementary my dear :Kappa:
"If you spend all of your time trying to avoid danger, you'll never move forward.

We know the danger. But if that risk means solving the mystery, we have no choice.

Am I wrong?" - Kyoko Kirigiri