Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - patrickgh3

Pages: 1 [2]
I thought it would be nice to have a link to give to newcomers interested in the community that explains what we're about, has some useful links, and other information. So I made one!

The URL is fangam.es/intro. Everyone can post this link in Twitch chats if people ask, put it in your channel description, or whatever you want. And if a fangame gets into a future GDQ event, I think this would be especially useful. Please take a look at it, and please let me know if you have any suggestions. :)

Tools & Software / Twitch Title Helper
« on: December 10, 2015, 12:01:06 AM »
I made a tool that automatically sets your stream title whenever you open a fangame. This should be useful for streamers who like having the game name in their title. You don't have to remember to tab over to your dashboard and type in the name every time you switch games; just click a button. Thanks to Sudnep for the idea and for giving feedback. More info is in the readme. Enjoy! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download - v1.2

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Translators
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:25 PM »
Hi everyone, I figured it might be nice to have a thread for people in this community to post if they are able and willing to translate games / tools / other from English to another language. And I guess you can also post if you have a project you would like translated.

Right now I'm looking for someone who is able and would be interested in translating the text in jtool from English to Japanese. Possibly other languages might be nice as well, but Japanese is my first priority because of the relative size of the Japanese community.

Tools & Software / Autotiler Tool
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:39:24 PM »
I made a tool that automates the placing bordered tiles in the GM room editor, which can be a tedious process. The tool modifies the room file itself, so you can still edit the room once the tool does its work. More info is in the readme. I hope people find this tool useful! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download

Note: This tool is for GM:Studio only. I might one day add 8.x support. For the reason why, open this spoiler tag.
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Engines / Barebones Studio Project (based on Yoyo's engine)
« on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:35 AM »
This is a GameMaker: Studio project that contains only the bare bones features of a fangame engine. It can be useful for technical projects or prototypes where you don't want stuff like a title screen, save files, and a bunch of global state managing getting in your way.

The project is heavily based on Yoyo's engine. All I did was tear stuff out and format stuff to my liking, so most of the credit goes to him. Additionally, I'll probably keep this more or less up to date with major changes to his engine. I hope others find this barebones project as useful as I have! :)

Features:
- Player behavior (walking, jumping, shooting, dying, restarting)
- Common platforming behaviors (vines, flipped gravity, water, etc)
- Simple save scripts (both saving internally and to file)
- Standard graphics
- Player sounds
- That's it

(click to show/hide)

Download - 1.1

(click to show/hide)

Tools & Software / Jtool - a new RMJ-type thing
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:21 AM »
Download and information have moved to
httpss://github.com/patrickgh3/jtool#jtool

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Useful Tools and Websites for making fangames
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:45:08 AM »
I hope this list is useful to newcomers and veterans alike. :)
Modified 5/31/16.

Graphics:
Spriters Resource: Graphics ripped from various commercial games. Find animated sprites, tilesets, and more here!
Paint.NET: A nice all-around editor for Windows. Less powerful but much more user-friendly than GIMP.
Aseprite: Great pixel art-focused editor with a palette and animation frames. Great for making tilesets and sprites from scratch.
See also: Pixel Prospector's list of tools and royalty-free graphics

Sounds and Music:
Sounds Resource: Sounds ripped from various commercial games.
Freesound: A bunch of real-world sounds people have recorded.
Audacity: All-purpose audio editing tool. Useful for changing music volumes and tweaking sounds, and converting between formats.
There are lots of ways to obtain music: youtube downloader sites, video game remix sites, soundcloud, and many more you can find through googling.
See also: Video Game Caster's list of royalty-free music and sounds

Other:
Jtool and RMJ: Useful for testing out jumps without having to compile your whole game, and also for designing entire needle screens.
map2gm: Eliminates having to copy objects over manually into Gamemaker if you use RMJ or Jtool to make needle screens.
Crystalline: An essential tool for working with Gamemaker particles. Particles are a great way to add flair to your game!
See also: the tools board has a few more fangame-specific tools.

Thanks Den for adding the Game Maker Questions child board. Looking through the old posts in Game Design, about 75% or more of them belong in the new board. I would really like if they were moved to the appropriate board, since I think the questions about actual game design, which are actually useful for people that aren't the OP to read, are being hidden. I think these old threads are valuable to read, and newcomers who weren't around when the threads were created might be interested in re-starting the discussion. This might come across as me being nitpicky but I really think it would help.

I'm totally willing to put in the work to select which threads should be moved, since I can imagine it would take a little time. I could make a list of threads that I would move if that helps. Thanks! :)

Tools & Software / map2gm - Needle map to GM converter
« on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:25 PM »
I made a tool that automates copying over the objects in RMJ and Jtool maps into GameMaker after you've finalized the design, which can be a tedious process. This should be useful for importing needle screens into your games. More info is in the readme. I've added GM 8.x and jtool map support since the initial release. I hope people find this tool useful; I put a lot of effort into it! :)

(click to show/hide)

Download - 2.2

(click to show/hide)

The Game Design board is mostly filled with "How do I do X in Game Maker for my fangame" questions, which are perfectly fine threads, but I don't believe "Game Design" is a good description for them. Threads like this and this are actually about fangame design stuff, and I think people would like to be able to see these threads without sifting through unintresting, only-useful-to-1-person GM help threads.

There could be a child board for GM questions under Game Design, or another main board under Fangames on the main page. The board could be called "Game Maker / Programming Help" or something similar. Thanks for your consideration forum team! :D

I've been kicking around these ideas in my head for quite a while, and I recently felt motivated to put together a working version, and for a few days work I think it turned out pretty nice. I also had fun making it. Note this is very WIP, just a kind of test / proof of concept.

About the approach I used: I thought a good goal would be to generate unique, random spike jumps, with their design being completely emergent rather than explicit (e.g. no part of any jump is hand-crafted). As a consequence of this, it's hard to regulate difficulty and possibility of the levels, in fact they're mostly impossible, so I thought to make the player have multiple hitpoints to compensate. So, basically you try to get as far as you can until you run out of hitpoints, and try to get a high score, based on how far you get. Ideally, every generated level feels fresh, and you often come across interesting jumps. And the better you are, the more difficult jumps and routes you can attempt to clear, losing as few hitpoints as possible in situations.

I also added another small layer over all this: instead of pure distance determining your score, each spike you touch (that costs you a hitpoint) has a numerical value, and your score is the total of all the spikes you touched during the round. Spikes get gradually more valuable as the level progresses, so you still want to get as far as you can. But now, you have to factor in which spikes are more valuable than others when planning your jumps, which I think is a nice strategy layer. It also fits well thematically, with the metals getting rarer as you explore further in the cave, and since you're a lavakid you kind of absorb them into yourself. I got a little carried away with graphics, but I'm happy to be able to show what I had in mind thematically.

I think there's potential with this kind of approach for procedurally generated I wanna levels. Right now I'm focusing on brainstorming ways to normalize the difficulty both between generated levels and within each level. This is difficult because the way I see it, completely emergent spike jumps are completely at odds with regulating difficulty. Also, there's potential with aligning blocks and spikes to the 16x16 grid, as well as minispikes, water, and other things; I'm keeping it simple to start out. Please share your thoughts about my work so far, and any ideas you've come up with about procedural generation! :)

Below are screenshots and download links for the game and source code. If you're interested, I encourage you to poke around in the code! It's not too well commented; feel free to add me on Skype - patrickgh3 if you want me to explain stuff or you wanna chat about any part of this project. I also encourage you to hack away on the project if you feel motivated to. Thanks for reading! :)

Download Link

(click to show/hide)

Game Design / Collaboration Idea
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:14:56 AM »
During a long bus ride the other week, I was pondering ideas for ways I wanna game creators could collaborate or some kind of community event. I was inspired by Experiment 12, a project where 12 talented independent game developers each created games in 72 hours as chapters in a sequential story. The chapters all have distinct styles, and there's an overarching narrative through all of them, which is a really unique experience that I enjoyed a lot, as well as being enjoyable for the developers to make. I was trying to brainstorm ideas like this, that would be unique, worthwhile, and inspirational, for both players and creators of the project.

Here's what I came up with: "piecewise" deveopment, where multiple people handle individual aspects of the same room / screen, but only work on them sequentially. Once you finish your part, you hand it off to the next person, who does their part and hands it off, etc, until it's finished. The order I was thinking of was: One person selects a music track, the next person creates graphics / tileset, the next person does static level design (no moving parts), and the last person does scripting, anything from moving spikes to graphical effects to whatever. No communication of ideas, thematic direction, etc may be communicated between developers; you only see what's been done so far. When the game is finished, you get to see what the scripter did with your level design, how the graphics were inspired by your music choice, etc. And you also see how cohesive and quality the game is as a whole: it might be amazing, so-so, bad, hilarious, strange, etc!

If each of 4 people do all 4 components (music, graphics, level design, and scripting) once, then you can make 4 whole games / screens, as shown here.

(click to show/hide)

Detail ideas: I was envisioning groups communicating over Skype or another chat service to send project files, chat, etc. And the group would set hard deadlines by which each step needs to be completed, which might be one day for each part, or maybe one hour, depending on what the group wants. I also think it would be fun if the final 4 resulting screens were compiled into one game, with some kind of in-game display of who did what for each screen. Also, I was thinking groups of friends would do this, but also groups of people who don't know each other, and can trust everyone is of similar level of competence. I'd like to try this both with people I know and people I don't! It's pretty low investment / barrier to entry for a group to do this, and it might encourage some people to try out experimental ideas in a low-risk environment, collaborate with others, or even take a stab at making a game for the first time.

I hope this makes sense to you all despite my awkward working and explanation. I'm excited by this idea, both to be in a group myself and to see what other groups create! :) Do you have ideas for improvements, see any flaws, have any ideas or thoughts about this "piecewise" jam idea?

Hi all. I figured it would be nice to have a thread where we share work in progress screenshots and thoughts of the cool projects we are working on, and you also don't want to start a new thread just for it. I know I'm often curious what people are cooking up! I think posts about discontinued projects should also be welcome here, since others can draw inspiration from them and also learn from their shortcomings, postmortem style. I think sharing these WIP and discontinued project screenshots is a great thing for our community to do. :)

I'll start with my first (recent, not including back in 2010) attempt at a fangame: I Wanna Dream of 100, from a little over 1 year ago. I thought a 100 floor game with calm and dreamy environments and original (albeit crappy) art would be fun to play and to make. I soon found out that 100 floors is a *lot* of content, and that I wasn't as comfortable with fangame level design yet as I thought, so I dropped it. I do like a lot of the ideas it has though, and I just might come back to it. I later thought of ideas for a final stage and boss, and a neat gimmick that would play nice with the whole game: an optional collectible item in every room, which is only visible when you are near it so you have to hunt for it, and more challenging to get to than the hardest platforming in the main path, so the game appeals to both beginner and intermediate players.

I'm looking forward to what everyone has to share! :)

(Mods, feel free to spoiler these pictures if need be. I'm not sure what's appropriate. Thanks.)

(click to show/hide)

Meet and Greet! / Hi Hi
« on: November 07, 2013, 05:48:23 AM »
Hey all, I'm patrickgh from IWBTForums. I was watching Wolsk's stream and caught a glimpse of this forum, so I thought I'd stop by. I probably won't post often, but I figured I may as well say hi anyway ^^

About me: I made a mediocre fangame a few years ago (IWBTPatrick) and have been programing / making games since. There's a link to my Github on my profile if you're interested in my projects. I also enjoy watching Aiwanna streams, and I'm gradually learning about the intricacies of fangames. Recently I've been kind of interested in making a fangame, so I guess I'll post here if that ever happens. See you guys around!

Pages: 1 [2]