Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Arclooper

Pages: [1] 2
Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Serious fangame making questions
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
Might have misinterpreted a few of your questions, so if any answer doesn't make sense, sorry.

How much appreciation and support (if any) do fangame creators deserve, and are they currently getting enough?

Mostly agree with everyone else here, don't think anyone is entitled to anything but it's nice to give people credit/support for their work.
Is it okay to heavily criticize people’s fangames that they made on their own time for everyone to enjoy?

It's ok to give heavy criticism but if by harsh you mean going overboard in how you say it, then it's technically still the person's right to do so, but wouldn't say it's really ok. As someone who constantly exaggerates/fail to express my opinions properly, I often catch myself regretting the way I said some bit of criticism and see many other people that get too carried away as well, especially in stream chats where there's always some degree of hivemind going on. We shouldn't stop criticism but maybe try to be more careful of how we do it, focusing more on praising the effort than bashing on results we might find negative.

How much patience and forgiveness (if any) should fangame streamers and players be expected to have?

No patience should be expected imo, if someone doesn't like a game and doesn't want to play it then they shouldn't feel forced to, though giving the games a chance to prove you wrong is generally good attitude. On the forgiveness part it gets kinda tricky, as in generally we should give the same amount of respect we would expect for ourselves, but if the makers themselves were doing something disrespectful to begin with, I don't particularly find myself too forgiving, the only problem is that this relies a lot on opinion and impression, so there's room for a lot of misunderstanding.

What is the right balance of encouraging quality fangames while not scaring off potentially good creators?

Don't really have a good answer for this tbh, best you can probably do is be mindful of how each creator you talk to takes criticism and try to balance the amount of criticism/encouraging on a case by case basis.

To what extent can you be proud of a fangame that heavily uses other people’s content? (spook jam, medleys, and in general using music+sprites+sounds made by others)

You can be fully proud of any work you do, even if that work is "just" importing and organizing screens to make a medley, finding good sprites/songs/sound effects to use, there was still effort in that. And for projects like spookjam, like kady said, nothing wrong with being proud of the team/as a team member as well.

Is it okay to use the self-made assets of other people’s fangames?

Might get hated for saying this, but I actually find it kinda annoying and hypocritical how some fan-based communities get so touchy about people taking assets from within the community while taking a truckload of assets from outside is perfectly ok. I mean, if you can reach out to the maker of a sprite you wanted to use to ask it's only polite to do so, but when people get so mad about someone not asking, it's not like we as a community generally reach out to companies, or even indie devs, to ask if we can use their content for fangames a whole lot as well, that always felt like a double standard to me.

To what extent (if any) are quality fangames not getting attention they deserve?

Like others said already, deserve is not really a good word, as no one is automatically owed attention for what they do, but if you feel like something should get more attention than it got, nothing wrong with saying so or trying to promote it, just don't be forceful about it.

To what extent (if any) are fangame creators limiting their creative growth as opposed to making freeware games for a bigger, more general audience?

There might be a few makers who stick to fangames because it's their comfort zone even though they could probably make good original creations, but for the most part the people creating fangames aren't really trading the time they would otherwise be making these other projects. In fact starting with fangames, that already have engines and other tools to work with, plus an active community to give feedback provides a place for new devs to grow and maybe make their own stand-alone projects later if they feel like it.

Game Design / Re: Easy to use programs to create your own fangame?
« on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:29 PM »
I would suggest getting gamemaker studio (the free version works just fine if you can't get the paid ones, you won't be missing any functionality) and using the yoyo engine https://iwannacommunity.com/forum/index.php?topic=1852.0

Also, it would likely help you if you took a look at klazen's tutorial here https://klazen.com/IWBTG/tutorial/dev_tutorial.html

Video Discussion / Re: I wanna be the Churatch Impossible mode clear
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
I N S A N E !

Gratz \  :BibleThump: /

Off Topic / Re: opinion
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:31:45 PM »
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Gameplay & Discussion / Re: Introducing Delicious-Fruit.com!
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
Maybe putting the symbols for rating and difficulty by the side of the text when making the review would help a little, other than just getting translations for the site.

And despite the occasional mix-ups and averaging issues, the ratings still do more good than harm. Also I'm pretty sure you realize your example with INT was a tad exaggerated, you know a game that requires constant short hopping shouldn't get a 30 :p

User-Made Creations / Re: I wanna be the coolest
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »
Sorry about your eyes moose  :BibleThump: I tried to balance it out between meme and actual graphics but I guess it was still too much to the meme side, I'll try to be more careful if I ever make another game.

Thanks everyone for playing and commenting, hope it was overall an enjoyable game :o

User-Made Creations / I wanna be the coolest
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:34:10 PM »
Do you think you're edgy and dank af? Do you like guns, explosions, speed and terrible OCs? Then this game is for you!

All jokes aside this is my first fangame, it's pretty short but I did try to make it a fun game with actual platforming, despite the meme-theme. Nothing too special, but I hope you enjoy it.

httpss://www.dropbox.com/s/ja5761a7x7u6c0j/IWBT%20Coolest.rar?dl=0

IT'S HAPPENING!!! :PogChamp:

Game Design / Re: Some Thoughts on Game Design
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:33:52 AM »
This is some really good reading material for new makers, good job Kyir, I definitely could take some things out of this for myself and will recommend this as a read to anyone that says they're interested in trying their hand at making a fangame (although a good deal of this applies to game-making in general, not just fangames)

Although I also prefer the individual segment way of making things, mixing it up helps avoid creative blocks and possibly adds variety since these different methods might yield some pretty different layouts a lot of the time.

Very easy to follow along your explanations, hope you have some more stuff up your sleeve like this

Programming Questions / Re: Executing a Code after the Music Stops
« on: November 20, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Put the code inside an alarm and inside each if for a song you also put a timer for the same alarm with the size of the song. I mean, it bit be kinda annoying but it's the simplest way.

Though I guess you can also use  if !sound_isplaying(selected song) inside an if for the equivalent dice number for the song in the step event, that should prolly work too, but tbh that sounds like more work than just getting the times, personally :p

Code: [Select]
if dice == 0
{
if !sound_isplaying(paul_chuck)
{dice = round(random(6))}
}

Also I might be wrong but doesn't that code allow it for there to be repeats of the songs?

Programming Questions / Re: I need help
« on: November 10, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »
It could be a difference in how the engines handle triggers if you're not both using the same one, I don't know if they all do it the same way, so you could check that.

You could also put variables for the position and speed in the create event, and if your triggered object can act in different ways other than this, also put a variable so it only moves like this when you set it to true, like:
Create
xx = 0
yy = 0
spd = 0
move = false
//you can change these in the instance's creation code to the values you want to use
Step
if triggered == true and move == true
{
if point_distance(x,y,xx,yy) > speed
{move_towards_point(xx,yy,spd)}
else
{
x = xx
y = yy
speed = 0
}
}
And if you meant for it to move instantly to the position you want simply do this in the step
if triggered == true and move == true
{
x = xx
y = yy
}
You would prolly still need to check for how the engine you're using deals with triggers though, just to be sure

Tournaments / Re: Get Yourself Fangaming: Game Suggestions!
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Ok then, in that case:
Detective
Wannya (private)
Get the rainbow feather
Escape the western house
Go the run
I wanna wanna and fa trap

Wannya and rainbow feather have quizzes though, so maybe give the answers to them.

Also could possibly include some easy avoidances like rori girl and easy miku? If someone is up to it maybe even make a blind game for everyone specifically for this

Tournaments / Re: Get Yourself Fangaming: Game Suggestions!
« on: October 21, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Just to clarify, would this be done the same way as the get yourself speedrunning where the race is intended to have the beginners taking part in  it, or would they be races of beginner friendly games done by the wannabes to showcase said games for people to pick up? Because that would affect the possible suggestions, and if the idea is to have the beginners race as well, some of these games might be a bit harsh, even though they're good to pick at your own pace. I mean sure, people can forfeit the race whenever they want, but I don't think that would encourage many people to get into fangames.

The Lounge / Re: Level Design Experiment
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:59:06 PM »
This is a pretty neat idea, but you could save the RMJ file and put it up instead of just a screenshot, not that it matters that much, but it wouldn't hurt either :p

Pages: [1] 2