Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - zaphod77

Pages: [1] 2 3
Game Design / Re: YoSniper's Fangame Contest 2016
« on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a game that can't be beaten even with godmode and character mouse movement, just because they can.

I suggest adding two new rules.

1) spoiler file required, explaining facts required to beat the game that may be difficult to discover.
2) if the game cannot be beaten by a judge even with the spoiler file, godmode, and mouse move, then the entry is disqualified.  This should stop any anti-cheat shennanigans programmed in.

Game Design / Re: RNG in avoidance. Doing it RIGHT.
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
There's a descending big cherry which spews out random cherries in all directions. near the bottom of the drop it also shoots out a circle. once in a while the random spam fills in ALL the gaps in the circle and you get smashed.

I didn't really classify anything else as impossible. just that the difficulty range of the patters was all over the place, ranging from "stand still" to "omg, gotta act fast... GAME OVER PRESS R TO TRY AGAIN". Easy Miku 1 was different, and let you box yourself in through your own mistakes quite easily.

Note that my advice doesn't always men to make it easier. i's possible to cleverly ensure that something nasty but possible is thrown at you, bu you won't know when it is.

« on: January 23, 2016, 01:17:01 PM »
I passed the first one by save jumping. then got past the second one. now i have that 4 points inward to snake through. Even knowing what i'm supposed to do (use the space above to align myself to the wall, jump in midair to slow down, then weave through it. i did it ONCE and stupidly blundered into the spike afterwards. trying the top doesn't do any better once i get over the wall, so i've made up my mind to try the low road. at least the save is right there and the stuff after doesn't seem so bad.

And yes i was using perfect alignment on the earlier screen too.

« on: January 23, 2016, 08:57:26 AM »
If you want a less ridiculously hard recommendation, I'd look into playing Spinal Fluid, although that does have some weird pattern stuff at the beginning.

if i can even get to the boss. i'm completely stuck at save number three. i can pass the first jump maybe one in 50. and i'm expected to do it twice in a row?

I can see no trick to it, just what looks like frame perfect timing.

« on: January 22, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
Anyone who thinks that easy miku2 had insane RNG hasn't played this game.

In fact it appears to have an RNG from the deepest pits of heck.  I can't count the number of time's i've died a few milliseconds before the projectiles changed direction.   Sure seems to happen way more often then chance would suggest.

I'm not sure what you mean by that then. With what I did, you create a cherry with a radius of, say, 800 pixels, from a central point that you define, meaning the cherry is 800 pixels away from it's central point; the cherry will always move into where you set it's centerX and centerY ...

You have the distance from center increasing or decreasing at a constant rate. that means the speed gets faster as it goes farther form the center, and slows down as it gets closer to the center.

That's exactly the opposite of what i want. i want the speed builtin variable of the object to remain constant, and only it's direction to be changed. this means as it goes farther from center, the radius will increase slower, because it will take longer to loop around each time.

The ratio method does this fine, but only for outward spirals.

That does not do what you think it does.

That just makes a wider outward spiral. one wayyyyy too big to even try to put.

here's what I"m doing

current_distance=point_distance(x,y,originx,originy);
reverse=1;
if (spiral_direction==1)
{
reverse=-1;
}
direction=spiral_factor*current_distance*reverse;

No amout of tweaking prevents it from either wiggling around like crazy if the factor is too high for the speed, or making it's way to and the following an outward spiral.

Yeah i probably screwed something up.

your approach uses a function to spawn the object and then control it.

My approach is to spawn the object, then change the variables inside it to make it go.

a=instance_create(x,y,objSpiralCherry);
a.direction=0;
a.spiral_factor=10; // variable defined to 0 by default in create event.
a.speed=5;

and off it goes.

this DOES work with the ratio formula fine as i posted above, but i've only been able to get outward spirals. i've tried to make it move the opposite direction by adding 180, but all that does is rotate the outward spiral itself.

Okay i'm completely puzzled.

I've tried manually setting the center, and no matter WHAT i do, it somehow snaps onto a spiral, and then spirals outwards! i've tried negative speed (that just rotates the spiral 180), i've tried adding 180 to the directions (whihc does the same thing), but absolutely nothing works.  the object always snaps onto a spiral going out. if i multiply the direction by negative 1, i get clockwise instead of counter clockwise.

if the spiral factor is too big for the speed (higher speeds need smaller spiral factors), it starts jittering, but still overall follows an outward spiral.

No i want it to start at the spawn point, and based on the spiral factor, work out where the center point should be and spiral in towards that.

The radiuspeed script wont' work. the cherry doesn't move at a constant speed.

the ratio one above does the trick for spiraling out.

but i want to also be able to spiral IN, starting at the spawn point.

Two ways really: Trig functions/rotation matrix, or a ratio.

Trig functions method, step event:

angle+=(speed);
radius+=1;
x=centerx+(radius*sin(degtorad(angle)));
y=centery+(radius*cos(degtorad(angle)));
won't work. my plan is to only adjust direction, and have it move at whatever speed is set.
Ratio method (uses speed/direction):

direction=constant/max distance*current distance.

constant is just a value to speed things up, max distance is as far away as it will be, and current distance is point_distance(x,y,centerx,centery).
Looks like that's for an outward spiral. i tested it, and it seems to work simply using   
direction=spiral_factor*current distance.
where spiral_factor is larger for a tighter spiral.

that's counterclockwise. i can multiply that by negative 1 for clockwise.

but now how do i make it spiral IN instead?

an archimedian spiral means with each revolution the item has moved a set distance from the spawn point.

I wish two variations.

1) use spawn point as the inside of the spiral, and spiral outwords, with it getting a fixed distance out form the center with each revolution.
2) use spawn point as the outside of the spiral, and spiral inwards. Same thing, but it vanishes when it reaches the center.

it has to do it's magic by adjusting the direction without changing the speed.

how the heck do i do this? 

Game Design / Re: Tutorial: Getting Started With Fangame Development
« on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:11 AM »
some tips.

I Wanna Be the Studio Engine YoYoYo Edition uses objPlayer instead of player as the player object.

Making something (like, say, a mini Hachune Miku) chase the player is easy, simply place this is it's step event.

if (instance_exists(objPlayer))
{
direction=point_direction(x,y,objPlayer.x,objPlayer.y);
}

In the create event just set it's speed to whatever you want.

It's possible to modify all of any given object at once on the screen.  Examples include launching all of them at the player, making them all fall down, making them freeze and change color, expand outwards from Miku's hand, etc.

You can either use an alarm, or a tick counter in the boss itself to do this. the important trick is the with statement

So say you've spat out a bunch of objCherryBounceRandom.  At a certain point in the song, you want them to stop, and launch a second batch and then later make them all fly outwards.

To pause them all, you simply put in you alarm/step event.

with (objCherryBounceRandom)
{
speed=0;
}

Of course if we were to try to make it fly away, it would still bounce. this will not do. so we need to put in a hook in objCherryBounce to allow the bounce to be bypassed.

Open objCherryBounce. Add to the create event

keep_bouncing=true;
originx=x;
originy=y; ///remember where i spawned so we can fly away from there later.

and then change the Step event to.

if (keep_bouncing)
{
move_bounce_solid(0);
}

Now you can turn off the bounce feature of your bouncing cherries when you need to.

we make them fly off away from Miku's hands with

with (objCherryBounceRandom)
{
speed=6; ///or whatever
keep_bouncing=false;
direction=point_direction(originx,originy,x,y);
}

by swapping originx with x and y with origin y, it will go towards the spawn point instead.

You probably want them to change colors too. in this case, simply make a new object, say objCherryBounceRandomColorable with objCherryBounceRandom as a parent using the white cherry sprite with no events. and then when you spawn then you can

a.image_blend = make_color_rgb(100,255,100);

assuming you used

a = instance_create(spawnx,spawny,objCherryBounceRandomColorable);

to spawn it.

and when you stop them, you can also change the color with

with (objCherryBounceRandomColorable)
{
speed=0;
image_blend = make_color_rgb(10,10,10); ///dark grey
}

You can even use with to change all objects of one type into another.  Say you have a negi object that goes a random direction of left or right. (what can i say, it's a classic. :) )

with (objCherryBounceRandomColorable)
{
instance_create(x,y,objSidewaysNegi);
instance_destroy();
}

If you need to address different groups of the same object, simple make a child of it with no events.
Coding objSidewaysNegi is left as an exercise to the reader. :)

As we can see, the possibilities are limitless.

« on: January 20, 2016, 06:05:20 AM »
easy miku 2 insanest rng in the world fam

Already finally beat that.

Having attacks that only throw something truly hard 25% of the time isn't fun.
TO get better i need to deal with ones that throw hard stuff at you nearly 100% of the time.

And one attack can very definitely wall you in. the descending big red cherry has random spam which is difficult about 1/3rd of the time, but also shoots an unaimed circle, which can sometimes fill in ALL the gaps.  Backing off to the right far enough to get through regardless opens you up to getting stabbed with a negi in the back.

Managed to figure out that the exploding rainbow cherries are actually dependent on your position, and not random at all by watching the screen after death. explains why they seemed fair.  Probably one of the best easy patterns i've seen.  Always doable but trickier then it looks.  strangely enough the negi shower looks like it could screw someone over with a dense cluster, but it's NEVER killed me.

« on: January 19, 2016, 08:20:42 PM »
Warning noted...

Guess i'm just overly sensitive because of all the genuinely impossible RNG i've ran into while playing different types of games before, and the truly rotten luck i've gotten.

On a serious note. what ones should actually be played to get good?  I'm not saying the easiest. but the ones tha twill actually drill into you how to play.

Pages: [1] 2 3