Author Topic: Object/Sprite Placement  (Read 1552 times)

kilgour22

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
    • View Profile
  • Playstyle: Keyboard
Object/Sprite Placement
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
Purely out of curiosity, what are the methods employed by fangame creators to place objects with different sprites? For example, spike1 and spike2 are both spike sprites with the same orientation. Do people make two different objects for spike1 and spike2 or do people make tilesets for spike1 and spike2?

Both ways seem very tedious to me, with the first way requiring time spent to create a bunch of different objects for each sprite and the second way requiring time to spent on placing sprites to match up perfectly with the objects (such as the block parent object); which would be especially grating if you stray from the boring 32x32 snap grid.

Am I wrong for employing this method?

https://prntscr.com/6aqvvu

Do other people use this or something similar to this as a way to have different sprites without having to make additional objects or place both objects AND tiles? Is there a better way than having a creation code which can be added onto as I need more sprites for the same polygon?
Don't let a spike ruin your day.

Sudnep

• Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
    • View Profile
Re: Object/Sprite Placement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:27:50 AM »
Your way is actually fine. I usually do the same thing but use a controller object depending on the stage to switch the sprites of the default spikes on room start since I have so much other stuff going on but it's basically the same way you do it.

Either way I think both ways are much more efficient at tilting spikes since their such a common asset used in these games it's worth just having code dedicated to changing by some special method.

kilgour22

• Cherry Eater
  • Windows 8.1/Server 2013 Windows 8.1/Server 2013
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 35.0 Firefox 35.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »
Your way is actually fine. I usually do the same thing but use a controller object depending on the stage to switch the sprites of the default spikes on room start since I have so much other stuff going on but it's basically the same way you do it.

Either way I think both ways are much more efficient at tilting spikes since their such a common asset used in these games it's worth just having code dedicated to changing by some special method.
I thought your way sounded much better in the long run. I'm guessing you did something like this?
https://prntscr.com/6b0fke
Don't let a spike ruin your day.

Sudnep

• Global Moderator
  • Spike Dodger
  • Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 36.0 Firefox 36.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »

I thought your way sounded much better in the long run. I'm guessing you did something like this?
https://prntscr.com/6b0fke
Pretty much, yeah.